• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm getting fired on Thursday.

Durien

This trilogy of threads is among the best I've ever read. I cant possibly imagine what happens next.
VrqACP6.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Final Update:

As I suspected, it finally happened today..

...And it was because of co-worker sabotage!

My boss informed me that one of my co-workers said I did something that I didn't do at all (we've never gotten along).
He said it was basically his word against mine. Since he had greater seniority, I got let go.
Things didn't end on the best of terms between my boss and I.
He was cool for a while, but gave in to the pressure.

My passion for the job died out a long time ago, so I'm not too upset over losing this job, but my concern is this...

I listed this job as one of my references for other applications online, with my boss as a contact!

Do you guys/gals think or know for sure that businesses will actually contact the people we listed?
If you truly didn't do anything and there is no proof of anything etc.... just sue them. However, if they offered you a giant severance package then you probably wont get any more than that unless they fired you for false claims (BS corporate shenanigans). All you got to do is hire a labour lawyer to write something up for $500 and go for at least one month per year of service. And if they really fucked you over, go for more.

Listing your boss as a reference is not a good idea if you didnt have good terms. He will either bad you or say some ho-hum statement where he cant get into details and such. That will immediately give any new hiring manager red flags the boss hated you.

Find colleagues you had good terms with to vouch for you. You dont have to have bosses as references, although it helps.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sorry to hear it, Hops. Just try not to torch the place on the way out (figuratively) as maybe once you are gone all those slacktivist co-workers will tank themselves and they will ask you back.

He said/she said office drama is really tough to prove though, so I hope they are giving you a nice package to go out on to avoid a protracted battle. Keep your head high, maintain dignity, and move on to better things.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sorry to hear it, Hops. Just try not to torch the place on the way out (figuratively) as maybe once you are gone all those slacktivist co-workers will tank themselves and they will ask you back.

He said/she said office drama is really tough to prove though, so I hope they are giving you a nice package to go out on to avoid a protracted battle. Keep your head high, maintain dignity, and move on to better things.
Well said.

Getting canned isnt the end of the world. I got let go too back in the 2000s. Got a new job a month after my last day which was better and paid more, and the new company was awesome. Still tons of people I talk to and some of my best friends are from there. I left that company after 5 years for an even higher level job, but in terms of pure fun and corporate culture it is still the best place I worked at. It was such a good place, I even tell my friends who still work there if any high level roles pop up tell me and maybe I'll come back.

Last edited:
Final Update:

My boss informed me that one of my co-workers said I did something that I didn't do at all (we've never gotten along).
He said it was basically his word against mine. Since he had greater seniority, I got let go.

My passion for the job died out a long time ago, so I'm not too upset over losing this job, but my concern is this...

I listed this job as one of my references for other applications online, with my boss as a contact!

Do you guys/gals think or know for sure that businesses will actually contact the people we listed?
Shit u actually got shit canned.

Sorry :( hope u find a new job soon. Think of all the lunches out there waiting for u

Cyberpunkd

Final Update:

Were you a better performer?

If it is a consolation imagine what message does it send to other A-players? Results do not matter, someone being offended does.

As for the references - I don’t personally take them because what is a new hire going to do? Give me references that are going to thrash them? It’s waste of time, trial period will evaluate how a new hire performs and gets along with others.

Same for person providing references - if your boss is a professional he will give you good reference, you are not his problem anymore.

If you want to be extra safe you can always say “my boss was upset about me leaving since my contribution to the team was significant, would it be ok if I put you in touch with my previous supervisor?”.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Trust me, I didn't let the meeting go on for too long. Once it was clear what direction they were heading, I made it obvious to wrap up the conversation because I have better things to do than to listen to fluff talk.

That's how you fucking do it! You let them know your stance on this shit and that you understand them perfectly, as well as you just wanting it to be done.
Everyone saves time, especially you. Since, they are into professional fluff. I wish you well and God speed into a better paying job.

P.S
I really hope you weren't fucking fired over stealing lunches. LMAO. I've been at work all day, so I don't know why you were fired. I had to leave earlier than expected today.
I wanna sign in on mobile, at some point. I just hope I don't get distracted. :pie_thinking:

Edit: Coworker!? Where is the evidence? No Video? Audio Recordings? Fucking Seniority?! I dunno, man... Maybe you just wanted out, anyway?

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Sorry bro. At least you’re in an area with lots of potential jobs.

Don’t be specific with this company contact info on your resume. General info and hr contact #. If they‘re contacted they probably won’t disclose too much info.
References you list should only provide glowing information about you. if you can’t trust their review don’t give them resume space.

Come up with some bullshit story as to why you’re no longer with that company.
Something like: “Everyone there was a lunch thief, making off with your food everyday”.

CGNoire

Manager is calling me in for a meeting on Thursday for a meeting with me and I think I'm going to get fired.

About a month ago my manager warned me about colleague complaints that may lead to disciplinary action.

What should I do? Resign or just wait to be fired?

If it's a possibility, how much sense would it make to write up a resignation letter for Thursday just in case?
Is this a Direct Sequel to your Lunch Stealing thread?

Peggies

Gold Member
I dunno man, cursing at a colleague at work, unless you guys are bros and out of earshot of the pearlclutchers, is just not a good idea. I don’t know the situation but based on your description you might wanna think about their feedback some more.
I once threw a coffe cup after a colleague. Actually it was more towards them rather than after. And it was empty.

German Hops German Hops fuck them! You'll be fine! From what you told us, you're good at what you're doing so just find some new company.

We Miss You Black Lives Matter GIF by GIPHY News

Toots

Gold Member
What should I do? Resign or just wait to be fired?
I don't know about anywhere else but in France 100% wait to be fired or else you won't get unemployment benefits.

I hope it turns out that your boss is a neogaf lurker and he just want to congratule you for your threads !

edit :

Well it means more time to make threads for you, so good for us :messenger_grinning_sweat: and i hope you find something else quick !

Couldn't you tell your boss it was physically impossible for you to do whatever the coworker said, because you were stealing lunches in the office's kitchen at that time ?

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My passion for the job died out a long time ago, so I'm not too upset over losing this job
I think your subconscious just took control to get you outta there.

Back in 1998 I worked for Fido services, activating cell phones in a call centre for new customers.
I was preparing myself to find a new job because my hours were cut and I had the 4 PM to midnight shift.

When we weren't busy they would give us address changes on paper to input in the system to pass the time.
Sometimes I would fuck around writing people's names then erase it.

Fast forward about a month later and just as I'm about to put my headphone leash on a fat mustachioed dude taps me on the shoulder & asks me to follow him.

We enter a small dark room only lit by a light on the ceiling. There's another mustachioed dude sitting there. They ask me to sit down.

Turns out a woman named Mary Veckers (yes I remember her name 😆) from Port Coquitlam BC received her latest bill.

In clear and proper grammar it read Mary "The Whore" Veckers.

They slipped me a copy of the bill from across the table.

I immediately burst out laughing and say I'm quitting. No negociations, no conversations, I'm OUTTA HERE 😆

I probably went on a smoke break back then and forgot to erase it.

I imagined this lovely kind grandmother who was gifted a phone by her loved ones only to get her first bill and going to the media 😆

So yes German Hops German Hops your subconscious took control and got you outta here towards a better tomorrow ❤️

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll just say that getting fired is actually one of the biggest stressors you can experience in life on par with things like divorce, and really causes serious issues for some people.

Serious props for not only taking it well, but literally turning it into entertainment. You're a cool dude. Hope you find a job you love next.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
This thread has been amazing and I thank all of you for your insights and well wishes, but;

Back in 1998 I worked for Fido services, activating cell phones in a call centre for new customers.
I was preparing myself to find a new job because my hours were cut and I had the 4 PM to midnight shift.

When we weren't busy they would give us address changes on paper to input in the system to pass the time.

Fast forward about a month later and just as I'm about to put my headphone leash on a fat mustachioed dude taps me on the shoulder & asks me to follow him.

We enter a small dark room only lit by a light on the ceiling. There's another mustachioed dude sitting there. They ask me to sit down.

Turns out a woman named Mary Veckers (yes I remember her name 😆) from Port Coquitlam BC received her latest bill.

I immediately burst out laughing and say I'm quitting. No negociations, no conversations, I'm OUTTA HERE 😆

I imagined this lovely kind grandmother who was gifted a phone by her loved ones only to get her first bill and going to the media 😆

So yes German Hops German Hops your subconscious took control and got you outta here towards a better tomorrow ❤️
John Marston John Marston 's post has made me laugh uncontrollably. :D

Thanks, man. I needed that. :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Not me but back when I was a manager over a support network, I had a guy very short tempered. He'd say the craziest things and I told him to listen to music to calm down (real hyper guy). He strapped headphones over top his headset.

Anyway, he was one away from completing his 90-day period and becoming official with the business. One of his coworkers got a call toward the end of the day from a customer who said, "Just got a voice message from Clyde. Clyde told me that I need to pick up my phone. And that people who don't pick up their phones are horrible for the workplace and he should fire himself." I brought the team together and asked Clyde in front of everyone one, "is this true?" He said, "Oh yeah, that guy's a jerk and never picks up the phone." Clyde was not there the following day but I had a laugh on that.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
This thread has been amazing and I thank all of you for your insights and well wishes, but;

John Marston John Marston 's post has made me laugh uncontrollably. :D

Thanks, man. I needed that. :messenger_bicep:

You are the younger brother I never had & I got your back.

Just for you here are some extras from that "experience" 😁

The mustachioed security dude asked me if I sabotaged any more addresses. I told him I did a bunch but couldn't remember.
When his face turned white I assured him I was kidding.

On my way out I came across my Lead who's posture was pure sadness with his hands in his face. Like I just raped and killed 2 babies.

I told him it was alright and he wouldn't remember my face in 2 weeks. Life goes on.

This dude is probably still there at Fido with a receding hairline, 2 kids and a loveless marriage.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

The greatest story this week.

Mikado

Gold Member
Monday, at the unemployment office:

"Ok here is your registration information, Mr Hops. You will receive your first benefits in 2-3 weeks. Good luck with your job search and have a good day."
* Door closes
"What a nice man.... wait a minute, where the fuck did my lunch go?"

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Let's Gaft this place up in support of our bud German Hops German Hops 😊
Qualifications? This thread is Gold. By the way, like 14-years ago I worked as a cold call telemarketer. Someone dared me to fart on the most irate caller. One night we called a woman who said she was ready to kill us (cold call campaign raising money for child car seats for the local PD). Last words before she DNC'd were not with my mouth. Coworker also won a bet to see if he could sell someone by speaking as a Southern gal. We would have all been fired but there were never any managers.

Final Update:

Lmao

Top Bottom