• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm getting fired on Thursday.

BlackTron

nene-job.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hmmm, is a short meeting good news or a long one?

I've never been fired but the few times I've been reprimanded its usually pretty quick.

But good news means you hang out and shoot the shit a bit.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Short meetings usually mean your canned. Unless your a horrible manager and you let them plead their case. I never did let them.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Final Update:

As I suspected, it finally happened today..

...And it was because of co-worker sabotage!

My boss informed me that one of my co-workers said I did something that I didn't do at all (we've never gotten along).
He said it was basically his word against mine. Since he had greater seniority, I got let go.
Things didn't end on the best of terms between my boss and I.
He was cool for a while, but gave in to the pressure.

My passion for the job died out a long time ago, so I'm not too upset over losing this job, but my concern is this...

I listed this job as one of my references for other applications online, with my boss as a contact!

Do you guys/gals think or know for sure that businesses will actually contact the people we listed?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Do you guys/gals think or know for sure that businesses will actually contact the people we listed?
Some will, yes. If it's HR, they just confirm whether you actually worked there and if you're eligible for re-hire. Did you say you listed your boss as a personal reference? Or just that your boss was the contact at your place of employment for validation purposes?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Some will, yes. If it's HR, they just confirm whether you actually worked there and if you're eligible for re-hire. Did you say you listed your boss as a personal reference? Or just that your boss was the contact at your place of employment for validation purposes?
The contact was listed for validation purposes.

I only list personal references from the people I trust who know and appreciate my abilities.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
stole one lunch too many
Apparently, it was for "violent" language I used towards a coworker.

Which is blatantly false. I did throw in a few cuss words , but it was nothing aggressive or disrespectful. I was simply frustrated at a colleague for acting childish and not taking direction.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Final Update:

My boss informed me that one of my co-workers said I did something that I didn't do at all (we've never gotten along).
He said it was basically his word against mine. Since he had greater seniority, I got let go.

My passion for the job died out a long time ago, so I'm not too upset over losing this job, but my concern is this...

I listed this job as one of my references for other applications online, with my boss as a contact!

Do you have to pay restitution for the stolen lunches? Now that you're fired tell us the truth. Accept some accountability.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Final Update:

I leave off dates and only list contacts if asked. Sorry to hear about that too. I nearly bought it years ago for cussing at a coworker. HR called me in same day and put me on suspension. 12-years ago, but I'd rather not intetact if it meant that.

bender

What time is it?
I did not. That's why I am concerned.

Just list a general number for the company and let the potential new HR department ask for the old company's HR department, especially if your last meeting was contentious. Legally he really isn't allowed to say much beyond verifying you worked there and if you are eligible to work there again.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I did not. That's why I am concerned.

Assuming you didn't completely nuke the relationship, go back and ask him, act humble. Most people don't want to intentionally ruin your life.

If you say nothing though the chances he doesn't give a good reference rise a lot.

Good luck hops, aside from the trolling in these threads I think you're a funny poster and wish you the best.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
That sucks. Hoping things work out for you my man.

BTW.....what kind of dick manager sets a meeting to fire someone and makes the guy stress over it for 24 hours? Just fucking man up and do it.
Trust me, I didn't let the meeting go on for too long. Once it was clear what direction they were heading, I made it obvious to wrap up the conversation because I have better things to do than to listen to fluff talk.

Last edited:

TheMan

Apparently, it was for "violent" language I used towards a coworker.

Which is blatantly false. I did throw in a few cuss words , but it was nothing aggressive or disrespectful. I was simply frustrated at a colleague for acting childish and not taking direction.
I dunno man, cursing at a colleague at work, unless you guys are bros and out of earshot of the pearlclutchers, is just not a good idea. I don’t know the situation but based on your description you might wanna think about their feedback some more.

I dunno man, cursing at a colleague at work, unless you guys are bros and out of earshot of the pearlclutchers, is just not a good idea. I don’t know the situation but based on your description you might wanna think about their feedback some more.
I have to agree with this. You never want to take chances at work. Even if someone seems "cool" with you. For all you know they could really be hating of you or jealous and will find any possible way to get the upper hand and get rid of you. There are people out there like that.

When it comes to work, for me it's just strictly business. Not trying to be friends with anyone, I am there to make money and get shit moving, not worry about if Billy Bob Jones got his wife pregnant or not. That's none of my business.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

I have to agree with this. You never want to take chances at work. Even if someone seems "cool" with you. For all you know they could really be hating of you or jealous and will find any possible way to get the upper hand and get rid of you. There are people out there like that.

When it comes to work, for me it's just strictly business. Not trying to be friends with anyone, I am there to make money and get shit moving, not worry about if Billy Bob Jones got his wife pregnant or not. That's none of my business.
Aye, this is definitely an experience to learn from.

-Minsc-

Final Update:

Sounds like you are in moving on to greener pastures. :)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Final Update:

I contact references.

You will be alright. I wouldn’t have made so many jokes if I thought you were getting fired.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
What should I do? Resign or just wait to be fired?

Im honestly on the same boat. In my opinion, if you can take it, wait until the manager fires you.

In im case, im thinking of sending a resignation letter tomorrow at the end of the shift. I thought that the extra pay would have been worth it, but it completely obliterated my mental health and i wasnt expecting it.

German Hops German Hops

[German Hops][German Hop's Address][City, State, ZIP Code][Date]

[Manager’s Full Name][Manager’s Job Title][Company Name][Company Address][City, State, ZIP Code]

Dear [Manager’s Full Name],

I am writing to officially tender my resignation from my position as [German Hop's Job Title] at [Company Name], effective two weeks from today, [Date in two weeks].

In recent weeks, I have been reflecting on my role and contributions to the team. While I have always endeavored to maintain a high level of productivity and commitment to my job, it seems there have been some differing perspectives regarding my approach to work. I have taken time to consider the feedback given and recognize that perhaps it is time for me to move on to opportunities that are more aligned with my work style and professional goals.

I am proud of the work I have accomplished during my time here, including [mention a specific achievement or contribution that is a highlight of your time at the company]. I am grateful for the opportunities to grow and develop my skills in [mention the area/s where you’ve grown the most professionally].

I would also like to take a moment to address the unfounded claims that have been circulating regarding alleged incidents of lunch theft. I want to state categorically that these claims are baseless and can never be substantiated. It is disheartening to see such rumors being spread, undermining the spirit of teamwork and collaboration. Apart from the strudel, the lunches weren't that great anyway. Probably.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of [Company Name]. I appreciate the experiences and lessons I have gained during my tenure.

Sincerely, German Hops

Thanks im using that

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Final Update:

Get on Linkedin and get a job recruiter.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think as a sign of remorse for their wrong doing and a sign that they will endeavor to be a better being (not sure OP identifies as a person) OP should buy all of GAF lunch but they should not eat. Also being Catholic they should pray 100 rosaries while self flagellatiing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom