• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my wife bought me a PSP for Christmas...

M3Freak

Banned
...well, it's more than a hunch. I'm about 99% sure. Kinda excited - never had a handheld gaming system before. If she did get a PSP, I'm looking forward to trying it out with the PS3 (eventually...when it stops disappearing from store shelves).

Anyway, my point is I don't know much about the PSP. I know there are a few good games out there, but what the hell are they? Anything in particular I should pick up? My preference is platformers, action, racing, adventure, and I like RPGs too. Oh, puzzle games are always great.

Besides games, anything else, such as accessories, worth picking up? I might need a memory stick - 1 GB, 2GB, or something else?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Anything Metal Gear, Mega Man Powered Up, Daxter, Syphon Filter, and get a 2 Gig Pro Duo for when the PS1 games hit. There is a demo thread here that has all of the demos that have been released so far. Its good if you want to test some of the waters. Its a shame that the demo selection pool is so limited.

M3Freak

Banned
Tenacious-V said:
Was it all you wanted for christmas?

Actually, I didn't want anything. I wasn't expecting anything either. Don't know why she bought it (not yet confirmed of course), except maybe she feels good that she is now a full time teacher.

The one thing that I wanted to buy for myself, and not necessarily for Christmas, was a PS3. That's about it.

starnix17

Mega Man Powered Up
Maverick Hunter X
Lumines 2
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Initial D: Street Stage (import only, but a very good racing game)

Macht

Metal Gear Portable Ops
Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 (if you don't mind srpg/card type stuff)
Ridge Racer
Hot Shots Golf

Those are my favorites at least.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Oh, the DS Trolls are out in force.

I, too, think I might be getting PSP for Christmas from the little woman. I'm already eyeballing a 4GB MSPD, MGS:pO, MG: Ac!d 1/2, Loco Roco, Lumines 2, Mega Man Powered Up, and Daxter.

She has no idea how much this "$199" handheld is going to cost us! :D

<-- EDIT: Hey, keen, I got a tag! Apparently you string enough random words together, and the Auto-Tag-Generator 3000ZX that GAF uses *has* to come up with something for you.

I got one as well...I just think it looks a tight gadget...and Im not into hand helds at all. I use it primarily for watching movies, reading manga and music...but I have some pretty fun games too

peace

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wipeout Pure (best Wipeout game yet)
Ridge Racers
Loco Roco
Extreme Ghouls and Ghosts (difficult, but fun)
Irregular Hunter X (or whatever the US version is called - Megaman X remake)
Megaman Powererd Up
Mercury Meltdown
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Every Extend Extra
Lumines
Gitaroo Man Live! (if you haven't played it)
Pursuit Force
Daxter
EXIT
Tokobot
Killzone Liberation (not for everyone)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (strategy/RPG mixed with Metal Gear, but it's also not for everyone)

There are other solid games out there (including a lot of Japanese titles, which unfortunately, may not be suitable unless you can read the language), but those are all great titles.

mj1108

If she really loved you, she would have bought you a DS.

(I kid)

Congrats on getting one! Still need to rebuy mine but still don't see a whole lot I'm missing out on. :(

Well, I'm pretty sure my sister bought me MGS portable OPS for Christmas. Wanna know why? Cause the game was cut out of my future shop flyer. :lol That was too easy to figure out.

Lucky guy. My roommate is moving out soon with her PSP so I might have to take the plunge. Too many fun games on there. I just need one price drop Sony, just one. HELP ME HELP YOU.

Hot Shots Golf, Lumines, Loco Roco, the Mega Man games, Ghouls n Ghosts, and a bunch of the collections...I want them all.

Yoboman

Gold Member
AlanHemberger said:
I'm sorry

j/k

There are some really good games on the PSP, I just wish they came along more often.
Come off it, PSP has been consistently delivering all year

Pimpwerx

Pimpbaa said:
QFT. The PSP is criminally underrated.
The PSP has lifted handheld gaming from the ghetto. They've moved on up to the east side with the ridiculous buy-in that you'd expect to come from luxury digs. ****ing DS is ruining all the fun with it's popularity. PEACE.

kenta

Has no PEINS
M3Freak said:
My preference is platformers
Daxter Daxter Daxter
M3Freak said:
GTA:LCS, GTA:VCS, Tekken: Dark Resurrection, probably SOCOM as well
M3Freak said:
Wipeout Pure, Burnout Legends, Ridge Racer
M3Freak said:
adventure
MGS:pO, Syphon Filter, I think those fall into that category
M3Freak said:
and I like RPGs too
Valkyrie Profile but I thought it sucked personally
M3Freak said:
Oh, puzzle games are always great
Lumines 1/2, Every Extend Extra, Gunpey
M3Freak said:
Besides games, anything else, such as accessories, worth picking up? I might need a memory stick - 1 GB, 2GB, or something else?
Get a 4GB stick off of NewEgg for $99, you'll be in heaven

Other games YOU NEED TO BUY: Mega Man Powered Up, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, Loco Roco, Hot Shots Golf

Tony HoTT

Banned
I'd get:

Valkyrie Profile
Both Capcom Classics
Gradius Collection
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Metal Gear Portable Ops.
And then a racer which there is a ton. Outrun, Wipeout, or Ridge Racers are all good IMO.

M3Freak

Banned
antiloop said:
Loco Roco. :)

I love it.

Yeah, that looks cool. I tried playing it at store a couple of times, but I couldn't figure it out in the few minutes I had. Looks great though.

Oh, Killzone: Liberation looks great too. I played it a bit - pretty cool.

Anyone play Pursuit Force? Sounds awesome from the review at IGN.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
M3Freak said:
1 GB, 2GB, or something else?
How much do you want to spend? Deals for 4 gig memory sticks are starting to hit $70 or less more regularly now. Gives you plenty of room to work with, esp. once you get a PS3 and if you find you're interested in PSone game downloads.

To start off, be sure to check out the downloadable demos for the PSP...there's only a handful, but you can get 4 unique levels for Loco Roco that way.

Most of the available demos can be found in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126364

dark10x

I don't know if that is the best place to start, but it is solid. The game is EXTREMELY challenging, though, and can be frustrating as a result. It's worth checking out, but not as a first game.

M3Freak said:
Yea, it's a lot of fun. Nicely designed for portable play, too. Check out Gripshift for another low-profile but solid and very portable game. Both should be pretty cheap, too.

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
I had a PSP at launch, and eventually sold it.

While I had it - I really enjoyed:
-Metal Gear Acid (I would assume Acid 2 is also sweet)
-Lumines
-Hot Shots Golf
-I hear the Warhammer CCG is good

There is also the upcoming Metal Slug Anthology as a option. You can get it on PS2 and Wii too, but a portable collection of Metal Slug is pretty damn sweet!

Idioteque

Congrats you're getting the best handheld ever!

Some games that I would recommend:

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Acid
Lumines
Ridge Racer
Ace Combat
Sega Genesis Collection
Every Extend Extra
Wipeout Pure
Twisted Metal
Syphon Filter
Tekken
Loco Roco
Virtua Tennis
Darkstalkers
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Guilty Gear Judgement
Valkyrie Profile
Mega Man Powered Up
Ulitmate Ghost n Goblins
Winning Eleven 9
Power Stone Collection

dark10x

TiVo said:
Serious grounds for divorce?

I kid, I have a PSP(collecting dust though) don't ban me.
What's with the constant "collecting dust" comments? Good lord.

Guess what? My DS is collecting dust too, but that doesn't mean the lineup is poor (though I haven't purchased a game for it since Rockman ZX back in the summer).

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Not to go too off-topic, but could anyone list some good jrpg's (untranslated) for the psp? I'm assuming the psp is region-free right?

M3Freak

Banned
More questions:

1. I know it's a finger print magnet, but should I be concerned about it falling to pieces?
2. Does the screen scratch easily?
3. What's the battery life on it?
4. The built-in speakers sounded pretty good to me when at the store. Are headphones necessary? I'd actually rather avoid them - don't want to damage my hearing.

jjasper

I would say get:
Lumines
Ridge Racer
Tekken
Daxter
VP:Lenneth (if you haven't played the original)
Mega Man remakes
Wipeout Pure
Kingdom of Paradise (no one has mentioned but I though it was pretty good)
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ace Combat X
Burnout Legends
Extend Every Extra
Field Commander
Gradius Collection
GTAs
GripShift
Metal Slug Anthology (comes out this week I think)
Virtua Tennis: World Tour

dark10x

M3Freak said:
More questions:

1. I know it's a finger print magnet, but should I be concerned about it falling to pieces?
4. The built-in speakers sounded pretty good to me when at the store. Are headphones necessary? I'd actually rather avoid them - don't want to damage my hearing.
1) Not at all. I've dropped my black PSP from about 4 feet up onto a hard tile floor and watched in horror as it skidded along. Thankfully, it landed on its back. No problems with it.

2) It can scratch easily enough, but as long as you use a case, it shouldn't be a big deal.

3) Battery life varies per game. Original launch systems lasted a good 4-6 hours, but I hear the updated batteries give it some extra juice. Don't forget about sleep mode (just flip the switch quickly). You can leave it in sleep mode for WEEKS without a problem and come right back to the game where you left off.

4) They are decent at best, but sound very tinny. Headphones or external speakers are recommended (just plug in a pair of decent PC speakers or wire it to your receiver). If you have neither, the speakers will get you by.

Keesie

I would get:
1) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. / Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.
2) Killzone Liberation.
3) Daxter.
4) Syphon Filter.

Those are the best games out there right now, there are more though...

mollipen

slidewinder said:
It's mostly just Nintendo fanboys. Imagine how unbearable they're going to be when the Wii really takes off.

Hey, I'm no Nintendo fanboy, and I will absolutely admit that my PSP collects dust. I guess I should be happy that at least Loco Roco came out this year, but otherwise most of the time I spend with my PSP is putting new images on it to try out as a new background.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
M3Freak said:
More questions:

1)I've had mine a year and a half - I don't baby it at all and I've dropped it a couple of times, 3-4 ft. It's still working good as new.
2)Microscratches mostly - the kind of thing you have to catch at the right angle with the right light for it to be distracting at all. At normal viewing angles, it's never been a problem
3)covered by dark10x
4)I'll often go headphoneless if the where I'm playing is quiet enough. But I don't think you have to really worry about damaging your hearing with the highest PSP volume level - it's lower than most portable devices.

dark10x

shidoshi said:
Hey, I'm no Nintendo fanboy, and I will absolutely admit that my PSP collects dust. I guess I should be happy that at least Loco Roco came out this year, but otherwise most of the time I spend with my PSP is putting new images on it to try out as a new background.
Hey, it happens. As I said, I've spent very little time with my DS this year (there are so few games that interest me), so I know the feeling. One man's gold is another man's lead brick. :)

Heh, all my systems are technically collection dust, I spend way too much time on GAF anyway.

In overall comparison though my DS is being used as a constant Castlevania player myself, with PSP it's' all Metal Gear right now, other than that there is too much console gaming goodness for me to really give that much time into handheld gaming.

Top Bottom