• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my wife bought me a PSP for Christmas...

Pimpbaa

Tobor said:
Have they fixed the screen yet? I really wanted to keep my old PSP, but the ghosting drove me up the wall. I would consider repurchasing if Sony did a stealth upgrade, as there are some games that interest me again.

I don't think they have. The psp is in some desperate need of a ds lite'esque redesign. Maybe once they get the ps3 into full swing we will see sony perhaps give some more attention to the psp platform and do a redesign. I'd like to see a brighter screen with a much lower response time, better d-pad and analog slider, and shrink the cpu and gpu to 65nm to get better battery times, and perhaps a faster UMD drive.

rod

Banned
Joshua Hull said:
Remember Lumines =! Lumines 2. If you want a great puzzle game with some quirky, catchy Japanese tunes get Lumines. If you want a great puzzle game ruined completely by EATRAX shit and garbage skins are hard as hell to read... get Lumines 2.

what the FUUCK is this shit? have you even played lumines 2? the game has, what, 8 or so skins that are "ea trax garbage skins" and over 80 "catchy japanese sounding tunes". lumines 2 has EVERY good song from lumines 1, plus like 50 more just-as-good-if-not-better tracks. AND has a skin editor, so if you want to play through the game with the songs YOU want, you can.

Tobor

Pimpbaa said:
I don't think they have. The psp is in some desperate need of a ds lite'esque redesign. Maybe once they get the ps3 into full swing we will see sony perhaps give some more attention to the psp platform and do a redesign. I'd like to see a brighter screen with a much lower response rate, better d-pad and analog slider, and perhaps shrink the cpu and gpu to 65nm to get better battery times, and perhaps a faster UMD drive.

A PSP Lite would get me to rebuy. It's insane to me that Sony would release a screen with such a horrible refresh rate. Could we add a slot load UMD drive while we are redesigning? That pop open tray was annoying as well.

Pimpbaa

Tobor said:
A PSP Lite would get me to rebuy. It's insane to me that Sony would release a screen with such a horrible refresh rate. Could we add a slot load UMD drive while we are redesigning? That pop open tray was annoying as well.

I love my PSP, but yeah the screen is pretty bad in regards to that. Worse than my old 25ms lcd monitor at times.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
-jinx- said:
This will stop NOW.
Hallelujah!

BlueTsunami said:
britcrylr7.gif
:lol The "Y'all...:(" is what makes it.

M3Freak

Banned
Wow, great recommandations. I had my eye on a couple of the games that people have suggested, but others I didn't consider at all. Hopefully I can find them on sale so I can pick a bunch of them up!

I'm getting the feeling people are using their PSPs a lot more for things other than gaming. Sounds good to me.

I've looked around a little bit for memory sticks, and pricing here in Canada seems to be on the high side. I have no idea how much the 4GB version is going to cost.

M3Freak

Banned
flarkminator said:
Daxter, the best looking game on the psp.

daxter-20060213001159746.jpg

How can you turn down a face like that

Wow - that's Daxter??! I wasn't going to add it to my list because I've played so many Jak games, but I can't get enough of platformers. Crud...I'll probably end up buying it.

rod

Banned
i really wanted to like daxter. the game is fricken GORGEOUS. and its very quirky. but the game becomes a bug hunt and so repetative. i personally wouldnt reccomend it.

M3Freak

Banned
Another question: what's web browising like on the PSP? I suppose there's an on-screen keyboard too - is it usable?

Do websites with Flash, Javascript, Java, etc., work? Can I hook up the PSP to a cell phone and use it as a "modem"? I'm wondering if I could use the PSP to support my clients when I'm on the road (probably far fetched).

rod

Banned
M3Freak said:
Another question: what's web browising like on the PSP? I suppose there's an on-screen keyboard too - is it usable?

Do websites with Flash, Javascript, Java, etc., work? Can I hook up the PSP to a cell phone and use it as a "modem"? I'm wondering if I could use the PSP to support my clients when I'm on the road (probably far fetched).

no "modem" function (that would kick ass), flash works, not too sure about java, the web browser in the later firmwares feel a lot faster, im not sure if they were updated since the 2.0 web browser, maybe its just me, but it feels a lot more faster and stable.

Tobor

M3Freak said:

The web browsing is ok, I've seen better, I've seen worse. Wifi only, no blue tooth for DUN tethering to phones.

Tobor

Pimpbaa said:
If you got a better way of web browsing while taking a crap I'd like to hear it.

The lack of keyboard hurt my browser crappin. :lol I'm now using my Samsung Blackjack.

Smartphones kind of steal a lot of the PSP's thunder. PSP has better resolution though.

M3Freak said:
Wow - that's Daxter??! I wasn't going to add it to my list because I've played so many Jak games, but I can't get enough of platformers. Crud...I'll probably end up buying it.

I think it's one of the best games on the psp. It's one of my essential purchases.

If you like platformers it's a great pick up.

I have over 20 psp games now. But I'd say the "must have games" are
Maverick Hunter X
DJ Max Portable
Lumines
Daxter

thats probably one too many music games. I'd probably replace DJ with someone else, as it's probably the hardest game of the bunch, and therefore the one with the least amount of potential enjoyment. I'd probably replace that with..mmm...I dunno. Hard to pick a fourth one. Lot's of good ones out there.

Revisiting this thread, I notice that not many people show the proper love and respect to Field Commander. This saddens me.

That's pretty much the only existing PSP game I absolutely need a sequel to, besides Loco Roco...and Syphon Filter.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
re: the web browser. It's useful for targeted use but really not suitable for just browsing the web. Think of it more as a file viewer (for text, html and flash) and you'll probably get more use out of it than if you try to approach it like you would a regular web browser.

For me, the browser's best use is as a means to subscribe to audio/video RSS feeds on the PSP. The RSS Channels feature is simply the best non-gaming feature that Sony has added to the PSP.

Also, to save the need to type URLs with the PSP's virtual keypad, I use a del.icio.us account as my home page in the PSP browser. Anything I want to access via the PSP browser, I'll generally save the link to the del.icio.us account via the PC browser first and then just access that account on the PSP browser.

Costanza

Banned
Nobody is complaining about dead pixels? I really want one, but after going through 3 of them earlier in the year with multiple dead pixels before finally getting my money back, I don't even know if I want to go through that again trying to find a flawless one. Has Sony done anything about the screen?

lessthanthree said:
Nobody is complaining about dead pixels? I really want one, but after going through 3 of them earlier in the year with multiple dead pixels before finally getting my money back, I don't even know if I want to go through that again trying to find a flawless one. Has Sony done anything about the screen?

I bought mine in August. No dead pixels.

Dilbert

Back on topic: In terms of gaming, there is a metric ton of good stuff out there right now. Most of it has been listed here, so I dunno what I would add, except for maybe another vote for DJ Max Portable. You'll have to go out of your way to find it, and it's HARD, but if you like rhythm games, it's a must-buy for your PSP. I also completely disagree with whoever slagged Lumines 2 -- in many ways, it's better than the first.

As for using PSP for any purpose OTHER than games, I think it's disappointing. My iPod is a far superior music player, I don't watch video on the go, and the web browser is painful compared to my laptop. I'm more than fine with that, though -- it's biggest strength is being a gaming machine.

Oni Jazar

-jinx- said:
As for using PSP for any purpose OTHER than games, I think it's disappointing. My iPod is a far superior music player, I don't watch video on the go, and the web browser is painful compared to my laptop. I'm more than fine with that, though -- it's biggest strength is being a gaming machine.

Personally I think it's ideal for podcasting. It has RSS support, automatic downloads straight to the system, finally having multiple fast forward and rewind settings, I don't think there is a better solution out there if you're into that sort of thing.

Web browsing is also very nice for an added bonus. It's not great for typing but for lurking it does the job. Just make sure to turn off images with GAF.

Wipeout Pure
Loco Roco
Syphon Filter
Daxter
MGSPO
Killzone Liberation
PES6
Lumines
Burnout Legends
Valkyrie Profile
MGA 1+2
Ridge Racer 1+2
Tekken
Ace Combat X
Megaman Powered Up
Megaman Maverick Hunter X
GTA VCS
MGS PO
Lego Star Wars 2
Mercury Meltdown
Gitaroo Man Lives
Gradius Collection
Exit
Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins
Guilty Gear XX
Field Commander
Outrun 2
Untold Legends
Dungeon Siege
Monster Hunter Freedom
DBZ Shin Budokai
SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 1+2
Tokobot
Me & My Katamari
Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
EA Replay
Sega Genesis Collection
X-Men Legends II
Tales of Eternia
Pursuit Force
Gripshift
SSX on Tour
Hot Shots Golf Portable
Virtua Tennis
DJ Max Portable

Are worth to be checked out. Yet everybody and their mother claims it has no games, however when DS gets some super niche title like Elite Cheerleaders everybody is there to notice it :lol

KarishBHR

How do PSP ports of console games feel?

Burnout, ssx, GTA, MGS, exc.

For instance, I love SSX but never gave On Tour a shot on a console, am I getting the equal experiance on the PSP?

Lumines 1 is a must buy and should be ~$10-20 in most places by now.

Here are a few others to check out as well:
Death Jr. 2
Ridge Racer
Daxter
Virtua Tennis
V. Profile
just about any Capcom collection

This had been monopolizing my free time for a bit

ultimateghost.jpg

Definitely not an easy game, but it's worth a try for any 2D action fan.

FF Crisis Core looks like a potential winner in the pipeline.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131707&highlight=final+fantasy+crisis+core

KarishBHR said:

For instance, I love SSX but never gave On Tour a shot on a console, am I getting the equal experiance on the PSP?

SSX On Tour in this case is actually SSX3 tarnished as On Tour and is pretty good. GTA VCS is actually better than each of the PS2 GTAs in my opinion and neither of the 3 MGS titles for PSP is a console port. MGA1+2 are excellent strategy games and MGSPO is a positively handheld-optimized experience on it's own.

Wow @ the bannage in this topic.:lol

KarishBHR said:

I'd say most ports aren't worth looking at. Direct ports, that is.

But Burnout, GTA and MGS aren't really ports. The are original games made specifically for the PSP. Okay, some do use content from the console versions of the franchise but I wouldn't consider them ports.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Oni Jazar said:
Personally I think it's ideal for podcasting. It has RSS support, automatic downloads straight to the system, finally having multiple fast forward and rewind settings, I don't think there is a better solution out there if you're into that sort of thing.
Yeah, as a self-contained podcasting solution I don't think there is. It kickstarted my interest in podcasts for sure and has set the bar for what I'd want to see in a competing device as basic functionality before I'd consider switching.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Aristotlekh said:
My tips:

Assuming it's not the downgradable motherboard, when you get the PSP, do the following:

If the firmware is under 2.71, upgrade to 2.71 and keep it there.

Look up "HEN-D." Install it. Get Devhook with 3.02 support.

Then pack that sumbitch up with SNES, Genesis, and GBA games (assuming you own the games already).

**** SONY AND THEIR OFFICIAL CRIPPLED FIRMWARE BULLSHIT YEARRGHHHHHH

P.S. Games to buy: GTA (both of them), MGS, Daxter, Syphon Filter, Tales of Eternia, From Russia With Love (shut up, it's fun).
If I *do* get a PSP, as I suspect I will, is it worthwhile to do this and play all of my games from MemStick? I've read that ripping your (as in games/UMDs/DVDs you own) PSP games to MemStick and playing them from there results in much longer battery life. Is that the case? If so, are the steps above all I need to do, or is there a seperate app that dumps my UMD content to my MemStick?
Oni Jazar said:

Web browsing is also very nice for an added bonus. It's not great for typing but for lurking it does the job. Just make sure to turn off images with GAF.
Gah ... that sounds PERFECT for me. I missed the fact that it had an auto-d/l feature for the feeds, too!

mikeGFG

Banned
Quick PSP questions:

1. Metal Gear AC!D 1 or 2?

2. How bad are the load times for Valkyrie Profile Lenneth?

3. Any word on Maverick Hunter X 2?

4. How much for the average 4GB stick (in $USD)?

thanks.

Top Bottom