• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IE loses evern more market share

Status
Not open for further replies.
aoi tsuki said:
If you're talking about the latest version with popup blocking and increased security features, i agree for the most part. But Firefox, Opera, and Safari all offer features that IE doesn't. If you only stopped at tabs, you'd have reason enough for a lot of people to switch. i can't speak for Safari since i don't use it much, but Opera has integrated web browsing, email, news, chat and more, and while Firefox is initially barebones in comparison, it's use of extensions makes it extremely flexible and powerful. Both offer more stuff than the average user will ever use, but with features that improve usability like tabs and gestures and improved security, i can't find too many reasons not to switch.

Safari is nice, but I use FireFox for the extensions. I think I might switch back when Tiger comes out. Safari RSS sounds awesome. It doesn't offer any email stuff, all that is run through Apple's "Mail" which is an awesome email client.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
New splash page for IE:

do-not-steal-sundance.jpg

jedimike

aoi tsuki said:
IE's losing the battle against other browsers that are more frequently updated and offer more features? Are we really surprised?

I can't comprehend where owning 90% of a market equates to losing a battle... That's kind of like saying Sony is losing to MS in the console race.

Personally, I don't have any problems with IE. I like it, so therefore I have no reason to try something else. I can understand what Darien is saying about the spyware. That crap has screwed up more computers over the last year... more than viruses have done in the last ten years. If you choose to go to the seedy underground of the internet, you better be protected.

I'm for anything that helps protect stupid users from themselves. But, it looks like MS will have their mess cleaned up with SP2 and the Spyware utility before there is a major shift in the way users browse the internet.

Macam

Banned
Timbuktu said:
Is there any reason to switch to Firefox on a Mac?

No, not really. As someone else noted, the extensions are nice in a way, but unnecessary for the most part since there are third party utilities that are just as effective as some of the extensions (Synergy instead of FoxyTunes for example) and the way most apps are written is that they'll use Safari by default to open webpages (iChat, Adium, etc). With Tiger coming up as well, the extensions will, I imagine, become largely redundant of the Dashboard's widgets.

Kon Tiki

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I know I've been using Firefox longer than that.
Firefox's surge has helped Mozilla cut into Microsoft's dominance of the Web browser market, with the software giant's market share dropping to less than 90 percent. Dutch market researcher OneStat.com reported last month that IE's market share had slipped to 88.9 percent in the third week of November, down 5 percentage points from its share in May. Mozilla-based browsers, including Firefox, rose to 7.4 percent, up 5 percentage points from May.

Hmm. I browsed that, did not see all Mozilla browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom