• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you buy the All Digital PS5 and you get Account Banned, does that make the Console useless?

I was just thinking in regards to how Sony bans users Accounts that you can't use your Digital Games that you bought.

So if people bought the Digital PS5 Console and they got banned. Would they not be able to play their games, therefore it becomes useless?

If that is the case, can Sony be sued for essentially releasing a product they can technically revoke the functions of?

Surely Sony has to change their Policy so that even if you are Account banned, you can still use your games offline?

I have no idea how Microsoft do this for the Xbox One S All Digital Console.

Anyone in the know, please let me know how it works!!!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was just thinking in regards to how Sony bans users Accounts that you can't use your Digital Games that you bought.

So if people bought the Digital PS5 Console and they got banned. Would they not be able to play their games, therefore it becomes useless?

If that is the case, can Sony be sued for essentially releasing a product they can technically revoke the functions of?

Surely Sony has to change their Policy so that even if you are Account banned, you can still use your games offline?

I have no idea how Microsoft do this for the Xbox One S All Digital Console.

Anyone in the know, please let me know how it works!!!

I would assume they can play the games but not online in any fashion.

Birdo

Banned
can Sony be sued for essentially releasing a product they can technically revoke the functions of?

Nope. It says in the TOS (I actually read all that shit lol), that they reserve the right to terminate your account at any time, which will result in you losing all your digital purchases. So you agree to this by simply using it.

The worst part is that it also says that they can terminate your account if it isn't used for a few years........ :messenger_dizzy:

So, let me get this straight. If Sony bans you, you lose all the games you bought? LMFAO, that can't be truth, or people really likes Sony's dick deep in their asses.

I remember reading about it years ago.

I am not sure if this is the case now but I am hoping someone can let me know how it works who has been banned on PS3,4,Vita.

Edit: Birdo Birdo the hero/ine we need.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Here is the exact quote from the Playstation TOS that worries me the most about digital content:

"24.2. We may close your account if it has not been used for at least 36 months. We will only do this if applicable local laws in your country allow."

Imagine taking a break from gaming and finding out that all your games are just gone when you return lol.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Wouldn't you just be expected to sign up for a new PSN account?

A console ban (usually for hacked firmware) would still give you access to your games on the primary account while not being connected to PSN, and you'd lose access to mutliplayer obviously. You won't be able to add any digital purchases to your library even with a new account. You'll only be able to create local accounts.
Account ban will not let you sign into PSN. On a secondary console you won't be able to acquire licenses to play them. On the primary console they will still work offline. If you want to add digital purchases, you'll need a new PSN activated account. What's not clear is if you can access your online purchases to redownload if banned.

That is actually really scary and I honestly think despite the TOS, enough people will complain if they are justifiably (or not) banned for Govermments to look into it.

I do think you should be at least be able to access your paid content but lose online privilages and PS+ games.

I mean, hardware bans are already a thing, right?

Yeah but you can still play games on a Disc otherwise. Digital only doesn't give that option. :(

Last edited:

Fbh

It's not like the console would stop working. You'd just need to create a new account.
If we are talking about a console ban instead of an account ban as far as I know the only way that could happen is if you install custom firmware or something which we don't even know if it would be possible.

Still, the fact Sony can ban your account and take away access to all the games you have purchased is bullshit and one of the main reasons why digital ownership on everything but GOG is a joke. I'd be nice if some countries looked into this and instead of just worrying about the poor corporations not being affected by piracy they could also look into consumers not being screwed over. Your account getting banned should disable you from purchasing new games and accessing multiplayer, but the stuff you have bought should still be accessible, at least the offline modes.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Same with physical. They’ll send an agent to your place to take all your games.

e8fdsMc.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
How often are you discussing politics on your console outside of friendly party chats? Maybe you give your voter history while tea bagging a fallen opponent in COD?

Big brain. We've seen games ban Trump related names, memes, sayings, and iconography -- extending that to a console ban in ClownWorld would hardly be surprising.

What I'm more concerned about is cancel culture.

Let's say you criticize BLM on Twitter, and the usual crowd of useful idiots doxxes you and leans on your job and all your connections to terminate relations with you. What's to stop Sony from eventually being a part of that, and saying, we don't want 'racists' on our platform? That other players would feel unsafe around you?

That would require Cancel Culture to be a bit more extreme than it already is, but at the pace we're going, it doesn't seem like an implausible scenario. Best to think about it and be prepared.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Big brain. We've seen games ban Trump related names, memes, sayings, and iconography -- extending that to a console ban in ClownWorld would hardly be surprising.

What I'm more concerned about is cancel culture.

Let's say you criticize BLM on Twitter, and the usual crowd of useful idiots doxxes you and leans on your job and all your connections to terminate relations with you. What's to stop Sony from eventually being a part of that, and saying, we don't want 'racists' on our platform? That other players would feel unsafe around you?

That would require Cancel Culture to be a bit more extreme than it already is, but at the pace we're going, it doesn't seem like an implausible scenario. Best to think about it and be prepared.

Take it from a "woke acolyte"", it's time to go outside and get some fresh air.

giphy.gif

bender

What time is it?
Being ignorant to the realities of the world, doesn't make them go away. Please, though, deliver more hot takes to make us all change our minds.

You have little importance to me. I haven't and would not try to change your mind. I'm fine with your personal, political and religious beliefs and support your right to voice them. But maybe that's just a cunning thing an ignorant, woke acolyte would say to try to corrupt you.

Nope. It says in the TOS (I actually read all that shit lol), that they reserve the right to terminate your account at any time, which will result in you losing all your digital purchases. So you agree to this by simply using it.

The worst part is that it also says that they can terminate your account if it isn't used for a few years........ :messenger_dizzy:

Praise the "all digital future!"

TOS isn't an authorization to do whatever they want, consumer law holds more weight than an adhesion contract. I can't speak for every country, but here in Brazil they'd get sued for denying you access to a product you purchased and I'm 98% sure they'd lose.

Aceofspades

Banned
Here is the exact quote from the Playstation TOS that worries me the most about digital content:

"24.2. We may close your account if it has not been used for at least 36 months. We will only do this if applicable local laws in your country allow."

Imagine taking a break from gaming and finding out that all your games are just gone when you return lol.

I have an account I haven't touched since 2007, to my surprise I logged in last month and I was able to use it.

I wouldn't worry much about this clause.

Yoboman

I can use my games across multiple accounts on PS4, so I dont see how I would lose all access if one was banned

Fuck.

I had an email from Sony from a while back saying if I don't log in they'll close my account. I just thought they meant my online account.

EDIT: just logged in, all good. It was an email from 4 months ago saying I had 6 months to log in. Praise GAF and Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice for this thread. Otherwise I would have lost my digital copy of Tomb Raider

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I've been banned on psn before and I had no access to my digital games. When you're banned, you're not allowed to log into psn.

You can only play offline and only your physical games work. Although I remember I had some issue with playing The Witcher 3 because of an update. So my previous save had issues without logging online.

Remember that under the GDPR companies are not allowed to store consumer data if the consumer isnt active for a periode of time. This is why the TOS had that statement.

The company I work for sets customers to inactive after two years without a purchase and we delete all account info three years later if no purchase is made after that.

This is somewhat different from buying digital games of course but I'm not too fond of that all digital future because of this. Our laws are not ready.

Top Bottom