• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you buy the All Digital PS5 and you get Account Banned, does that make the Console useless?

Ten_Fold

People say just make a new account, so what if you spends tons of money on digital games, if your account gets banned and said system breaks? Then what? If you have the disc drive you can just buy a new ps5 and play. It’s not too hard to get banned, if you beat someone soo bad that they report you, then you could get banned for no reason. I’m sorry but I won’t buy no disc less console anytime soon.

This has been so since the start of last gen, how is there anyone here what doesn't know this?
tenor.gif
Is she blind, her eyes look weird.

MastaKiiLA

How big of a jackass do you have to be to get banned from an online gaming service? Should anyone feel sorry for you if you pull that card? Honestly, purging you from the gaming community would be a benefit for everyone, in that case. You'd have to be an insufferable piece of shit to get banned from Live or PSN. If you manage that, then jog on and find a new hobby or console.

FYI, with any SaaS business (Subscription as a Service), special consideration is given to paying customers, especially those with significant investment in the subscription service. This is why I say you have to be a mega-asshole to get banned from one of them. These services are a privilege, not a right. If you got banned, then you were a complete knob and don't deserve any pity.

Last edited:
People have been unjustifyingly banned on the past and Sony has been unsympatheti to those who have been a part of a cull who tried to appeal to their good side.

Especially if you do a chargeback.

if you're a straight man, I suggest physical discs because you don't risk losing it all once some sissy decides to cancel you and get you banned from psn

rapid32.5

Here is the exact quote from the Playstation TOS that worries me the most about digital content:

"24.2. We may close your account if it has not been used for at least 36 months. We will only do this if applicable local laws in your country allow."

Imagine taking a break from gaming and finding out that all your games are just gone when you return lol.
WTF. is this for NA region only ? That’s worse than always on DRM MS was trying to pull. Does logging into your PS account on PC qualify as using your account?

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Too many pitfalls with digital. Go with physical and save yourself from these sort of nightmare stories. Even if Sony charges more for the disc version of the PS5, it still will be worth it.
Or just don't be a dick and you'll never have to worry. Most people don't get banned from these services. It's not something any sane person should have to worry about.

Allandor

So, let me get this straight. If Sony bans you, you lose all the games you bought? LMFAO, that can't be truth, or people really likes Sony's dick deep in their asses.
That's more or less normal with digital content and a real problem with always online console's. But normally the account should be blocked the console should still be working with another Account.
So maybe you should just buy games with one account and play them with another

Birdo

Banned
WTF. is this for NA region only ? That’s worse than always on DRM MS was trying to pull. Does logging into your PS account on PC qualify as using your account?

That was the EU version.

The US version is worded slightly different:

"we reserve the right to delete player account data that we determine to have been dormant. "

GreatnessRD

Or just don't be a dick and you'll never have to worry. Most people don't get banned from these services. It's not something any sane person should have to worry about.
Yeah, tell that to the guy who's name was "Kike" and he was banned for using his nickname in his native tongue.

Link

You always have to worry when you give these BILLION dollar corporation more power. But yeah, go off, lol

Aion002

What would you be doing on the console to get banned in the first place?

Talk stupid shit online.

Do charge backs.

Modding.

The usual stuff.

I am 99% digital on PS4 and I don't dare do the slightest thing that could piss Sony off. They're too rigid on their TOS.

No it makes your profile banned.

So lets say you have a psn ID with like digital games. You can't play those online anymore from what i understand. You would need a new account and have to rebuy all those games

Rawdirt

Neo Member
Many people, game journalists/websites speak about the beauty of digital only future but are biased by receiving free game codes etc. But digital really limits your options on resale, lending to friend or family, ownership and now the TOS/possible revoke of your “license” of your game. Plus you can’t really appreciate BOTW until you lick it!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone know why there's such a divide in gaming between disc buyers and all-digital gamers, when just about everyone is totally fine with music and movies being all digital or sub plans?

Gamers hardcore into buying the game disc don't seem to be so eager to buy CDs and actual DVD/BR when there's still tons of content that has physical.

Last edited:

Tevious

I've had my PSN account banned back in the PS3 days. There was a thread about it here at the time that received a lot of attention. I got banned because PayPal thought it was suspicious that I bought some PSN funds through the PS Store, and they automatically reversed charges and locked my PayPal account. I wasn't able to log into my PayPal account because one of their methods to prove my identity was broken at the time and I wasn't receiving the text I needed (iirc). So after the charge back happened, PlayStation banned my account. I contacted PlayStation's customer service and sorted it out by paying them back by purchasing a PSN card, or so I thought... They banned me again a week later and refused to give me an explanation when I called. Eventually, word got out from my GAF thread to someone higher up with PlayStation and they sorted it out, unbanned my account, and took steps to prevent that happening to others. During the ban, I was only able to play offline the digital purchases that I had installed on the HDD. I'm not sure if that changed at all since the PS3 days.

If you are buying digital purchases, I highly recommend that you only use PSN/Xbox/eShop store cards and don't use PayPal or credit cards that have the possibility of charge backs. It's also much safer if you somehow got hacked.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know why there's such a divide in gaming between disc buyers and all-digital gamers, when just about everyone is totally fine with music and movies being all digital or sub plans?

Gamers hardcore into buying the game disc don't seem to be so eager to buy CDs and actual DVD/BR when there's still tons of content that has physical.

Price probably and therefore resale value. Not many new films or albums cost $60 so they don't think it's worth it to buy and sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

MastaKiiLA

Yeah, tell that to the guy who's name was "Kike" and he was banned for using his nickname in his native tongue.

Link

You always have to worry when you give these BILLION dollar corporation more power. But yeah, go off, lol
The 1 in literally a million case. Edge cases can be resolved simply enough. Contact support, and provide them with a picture of your photo ID, showing your name. This isn't complicated. If you're worried about a ban on a subscription service, you should be giving more consideration to your own behavior than the terms of service. I also find it ironic that someone would pay extra for the disc version this billion dollar corporation is selling, because they are afraid of something that affects a minuscule percent of people who largely deserve it. That's called idiot's insurance.

ANIMAL1975

People say just make a new account, so what if you spends tons of money on digital games, if your account gets banned and said system breaks? Then what? If you have the disc drive you can just buy a new ps5 and play. It’s not too hard to get banned, if you beat someone soo bad that they report you, then you could get banned for no reason. I’m sorry but I won’t buy no disc less console anytime soon.
That would have you banned from the game multiplayer, and would be the games publisher doing it. You won't be banned from psn or live accounts for that.
Like others said, you would have to be responsible for a charge back, fraud or spam behavior, or for hardware hacking to be account banned.

I've had my PSN account banned back in the PS3 days. There was a thread about it here at the time that received a lot of attention. I got banned because PayPal thought it was suspicious that I bought some PSN funds through the PS Store, and they automatically reversed charges and locked my PayPal account. I wasn't able to log into my PayPal account because one of their methods to prove my identity was broken at the time and I wasn't receiving the text I needed (iirc). So after the charge back happened, PlayStation banned my account. I contacted PlayStation's customer service and sorted it out by paying them back by purchasing a PSN card, or so I thought... They banned me again a week later and refused to give me an explanation when I called. Eventually, word got out from my GAF thread to someone higher up with PlayStation and they sorted it out, unbanned my account, and took steps to prevent that happening to others. During the ban, I was only able to play offline the digital purchases that I had installed on the HDD. I'm not sure if that changed at all since the PS3 days.

If you are buying digital purchases, I highly recommend that you only use PSN/Xbox/eShop store cards and don't use PayPal or credit cards that have the possibility of charge backs. It's also much safer if you somehow got hacked.
Totally this!

sn0man

For an account ban it looks like you lose everything.

lAZEudm.jpg

that is scary and I hadn’t considered it before

That's completely unfair! we should be allowed to access our content and download them whenever we want! we bought them after all! hopefully they change this.
You bought a license to access the store and download a copy. They can and will enforce these things
The point where gaming becomes all digital is the point where I exclusively play/collect retro shit. Things have already gotten out of hand tbh. The sweet spot was around a decade ago where (on consoles) digital was reserved for smaller indie type games and DLC.
I think it’s greed personally. Online and digital bring huge carrots like social interaction and convenience. There is no reason to kill physical except for greed and control by the game makers

I buy iTunes because they are DRM free. I don’t buy digital movies or tv. I steam or rent as that charge and arrangement is much more transparent and at arms length.

find it ironic that someone would pay extra for the disc version this billion dollar corporation is selling
Maybe they just love games. It’s why I pay more for a physical copy than a digital sometimes. I want to share that experience with my niece someday when she’s ready to game. I can’t trust the digital stores to be around when that time comes. I want to own a thing, not have a license to access a digital store operated at the whim of the company and their quarterly revenue.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Here is the exact quote from the Playstation TOS that worries me the most about digital content:

"24.2. We may close your account if it has not been used for at least 36 months. We will only do this if applicable local laws in your country allow."

Imagine taking a break from gaming and finding out that all your games are just gone when you return lol.
Fuck that shit.

I'm getting an Xbox Series X so what happens if I want to get a PlayStation 6? I won't have logged in for about 6-7 years. So I lose all my games? Fuck off.

Surely you will be able to just log in through your phone/PC to keep the account active and don't need to log in through a console??

Birdo

Banned
Surely you will be able to just log in through your phone/PC to keep the account active and don't need to log in through a console??

I assume this works.

I currently don't own a console. But now and then I use my PC to log into my Sony account just to make sure it has some activity. I hope it works, because I have quite a lot of digital games.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Then just... don’t get banned.

I’ve been gaming for about 74 years now, and not once have I ever been banned in a console or pc game for cheating.

If that’s the game you want to play, then accept that it comes with risks. They won’t console ban you (where the actual console becomes a useless brick) unless you use copy protection or hack it. So just make a new account and take the L.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I assume this works.

I currently don't own a console. But now and then I use my PC to log into my Sony account just to make sure it has some activity. I hope it works, because I have quite a lot of digital games.
To be safe...redeem a free product against your account. I would assume logging in would be enough but if you make a transaction, even if it's free, that should definitely keep you safe.

FranXico

Yes, logging in through other devices is the minimal activity required to keep the account "alive".

ZehDon

Gold Member
The "Digital Only" consoles are sitting in a similar space as the original Xbone with its DRM bullshit, which is why I won't go for them. They may not be Online Only, but their very nature means you don't own shit and your "Rights" are whatever the platform holder decides to allow you to have.

Top Bottom