• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN GOTY 2015 & People's Choice: The Witcher 3

Zophar

Game of the Generation thus far, IMO. That video articulated a lot of the things I loved (and even forgot) about the game, though I think they were stretching a little to praise the combat mechanics.

patapuf

Its just the most mainstream and accessible of the top games. Being popular does not make something the "best", just look at Oscar wining movies compared to top grossing movies.

The only game less accessible than the Witcher 3 on that list is bloodborne.

I also find it hilarious that the witcher of all franchises is suddenly considered a mainstream juggernaut over things like Fallout or Metal Gear solid. As a fan i kind of love it but it's also a bit strange.

spekkeh

Banned
Not true at all. Remember, both Witcher 1 and two were considered pretty niche, hard to get into RPGs and the Witcher 3 isnt any less complex or easier than its predecessors. What made people love witcher 3 is its unprecedented quality in relation to scope. Its not "mainstream" in any meaningful regard, beyond that it sold well because it was great. The game certainly does not hold your hand the way most established main stream franchises do. I get that it might not be your favorite game this year, at least come with a meaningful argument.
The Witcher 1 and 2 were niche because they were pc exclusives. There's nothing not mainstream about a multiplatform western open world rpg with a gravel voiced gruff cool dude as protagonist.

An absolute masterpiece. People will still talk and remember The Witcher 3 fondly for years to come. Congrats CDPR!

NeoGAF is gonna look kinda funny if Witcher 3 doesn't win considering it has demolished everything else in critics and people's choices.

It probably will win (and would deserve it), but I don't know why a congregation of people with extremely enthusiast tastes, who probably play more games and have a lot of differing opinions would always reflect a really homogenized mainstream that's getting their world rocked in a way they're maybe not used to.

Linkyn

An absolute masterpiece. People will still talk and remember The Witcher 3 fondly for years to come. Congrats CDPR!

NeoGAF is gonna look kinda funny if Witcher 3 doesn't win considering it has demolished everything else in critics and people's choices.

I'm not sure it's going to win, but you don't need to look at the voting thread much to figure out that Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are leading all other games by an absolutely ridiculous amount. It's almost comical how close those two are, considering how big the gap to number 3 is. While I personally think that Wild Hunt is the best game of 2015 (with the obvious bias being that I haven't played everything), I don't consider it a shame for it to lose to Bloodborne, and vice-versa. Both are exceptionally good, and the true tragedy is that both have been released the same year, when either would have easily taken the crown last year.

Wouldn't say GAF is going to look funny or odd but Bloodborne is going to win, probably.

Souls esque game + Exclusive to PS4 = Already won

The Witcher 1 and 2 were niche because they were pc exclusives. There's nothing not mainstream about a multiplatform western open world rpg with a gravel voiced gruff cool dude as protagonist.

Ah, so what makes a RPG not mainstream is being a PC exclusive.

I understand.

Moosichu

Yeah I know this is a minority opinion nowadays but I'd prefer something with better gameplay mechanics win game of the year over something with better dialogue and story.

But I prefer the atmosphere and lore in Bloodborne to that of the witcher.

I also prefer The Witcher 3's gameplay.

So yeah, what you said means nothing and all depends on the eye of the beholder.

Daingurse

Another well deserved award for The Witcher 3. Been thinking about the game all day, I just want to boot it up and walk around Velen. Don't want to do anything special, just want to drink it in. Annnnd then it might finally be time for New Game +, especially now that I've finally beaten Hearts of Stone recently, the best dlc I've ever played.

EthanC

Banned
Its just the most mainstream and accessible of the top games. Being popular does not make something the "best", just look at Oscar wining movies compared to top grossing movies.

It's not remotely the most accessible game. Not even close. It won because it's a masterpiece. Not because it's popular.

Lunar15

It's a game that, despite going for a larger scale, did not sacrifice so much of what made the series unique and special to its fans. Sure, things changed, but the core of what makes The Witcher such a refreshing series remained intact.

It's an AAA game that feels niche. To people who want that experience, it's honestly like nothing else we've ever had. But that's the thing... to those who aren't interested, it just doesn't make sense. Bloodborne/Souls is extremely similar: To a hardcore gaming audience, that kind of hard, no handholding gameplay is cathartic, and to have it be retained in a big budget game is amazing. But there's a ton of people who really don't like souls games, so the whole idea is lost. It's a niche game pretending to be AAA, and that's why you're going to get such diverse reactions.

Either way, both games were excellent, but I really think W3 was really pushing the idea of scale while refining storytelling in quests at the same time which makes it more refreshing than BB, which is just a really good step forward from DS. They're both my favorite games of the year though, and it's possible to like both, you know.

patapuf

This is a year where we had, Halo, Fallout, MGS, Tomb Raider, COD, Star wars and i'm sure i'm forgetting some.

It's definitely targeting a larger market, but you told people back in may that the Witcher 3 is some kind of huge mainstream thing and i'm not sure many would have agreed with that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
But I prefer the atmosphere and lore in Bloodborne to that of the witcher.

I also prefer The Witcher 3's gameplay.

So yeah, what you said means nothing and all depends on the eye of the beholder.

This isn't about Bloodborne since I don't think that is GOTY either but okay, in this thread there isn't really a shortage of people saying "if you care about combat / gameplay only and not story, skip W3."

I don't think too many people would say the same for BB.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
SMH @ people letting the drama around Konami and Kojima affect their votes.
Don't forget that MGSV still has a higher Metacritic score than either Witcher 3 or Bloodborne.

0E8cYp6.gif

Though when it really comes down to it, Majora's Mask 3D is the real GOTY 2015 imo.

Name me one clearly mainstream recent pc exclusive open world rpg.

That's not the thing. Witcher 2 and 3 are basicly the same base game, only that one is bigger and more sandbox than the other, and you are saying that witcher 3 is more mainstream just because witcher 2 is PC exclusive, wich is nonsense (specially because witcher 2 isn't PC exclusive, it was released in 360).

Lunar15

I will say, people complaining that The Witcher is just winning because it's the big mainstream fantasy title must be a dream come true for CDPR.

KdylanR92

Absolutely deserves all the praise it gets, really glad to have played it.

But...

The best gameplay of the year was MGS5.

Daingurse

It's not remotely the most accessible game. Not even close. It won because it's a masterpiece. Not because it's popular.

Yeah the comparison is flawed, because that just isn't true. This is not like Justin Bieber music or McDonald's food. Something can be popular and excellent, like TLOU.

Majestad

Banned
SMH @ people letting the drama around Konami and Kojima affect their votes.
Don't forget that MGSV still has a higher Metacritic score than either Witcher 3 or Bloodborne.

0E8cYp6.gif

Though when it really comes down to it, Majora's Mask 3D is the real GOTY 2015 imo.

That drama is exactly why Metal Gear got high reviews in the first place. Look at it now, forgotten from GOTY lists except for the pity nomination here and there.

GAF didn't look funny at all last year when Bayo 2 took home the crown.

Zophar

It's a game that, despite going for a larger scale, did not sacrifice so much of what made the series unique and special to its fans. Sure, things changed, but the core of what makes The Witcher such a refreshing series remained intact.

It's an AAA game that feels niche. To people who want that experience, it's honestly like nothing else we've ever had. But that's the thing... to those who aren't interested, it just doesn't make sense. Bloodborne/Souls is extremely similar: To a hardcore gaming audience, that kind of hard, no handholding gameplay is cathartic, and to have it be retained in a big budget game is amazing. But there's a ton of people who really don't like souls games, so the whole idea is lost. It's a niche game pretending to be AAA, and that's why you're going to get such diverse reactions.

Either way, both games were excellent, but I really think W3 was really pushing the idea of scale while refining storytelling in quests at the same time which makes it more refreshing than BB, which is just a really good step forward from DS. They're both my favorite games of the year though, and it's possible to like both, you know.

BB and TW3's successes bode well for the industry. They're clear messages that games do not have to please everyone to be critical and commercial successes. Let's hope the big publishers take note.

KevinG

I think I've missed the $25 boat for a while though. Should have jumped on it in December, but I was content with Fallout and Halo.

Lunar15

BB and TW3's successes bode well for the industry. They're clear messages that games do not have to please everyone to be critical and commercial successes. Let's hope the big publishers take note.

This! This so much.

This is why I hate that GAF and the Internet are so hung up on fucking ranked lists. Celebrate the strides the industry is making towards excellent compromises rather than tearing yourselves apart trying to compare incredibly different things.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member

Haha, well if "mainstream" doesnt take complexity, or difficulty, "hand-holding" into account, then we got a pretty shallow definition of mainstream. If the only factors are where the game was made, if its open world or not, and if the protagonist fits some persons shallow definition of a "cool-guy" stereotype, then its really saying nothing at all. Lets not forget either that witcher 2 was not pc-only, and had a semi-open world structure, so calling one nice and the other clearly mainstream is some major reaching. Also the game was made in poland, not exactly a country big on videogame development, so to blanket so much of the world under the "western" banner also makes the term meaningless.

iNvid02

this is what open world gaming is all about

no its actually not, but its what it totally should be about. maybe its domination will get a few devs to look at it and learn

Ascenion

That drama is exactly why Metal Gear got high reviews in the first place. Look at it now, forgotten from GOTY lists except for the pity nomination here and there.
Eh I dunno about that. MGSV is sublime to play. Out of all the criticism it is pretty generally agreed Kojima perfected his craft when it comes to straight gameplay, not the experience overall but the experience of playing it only. That's why I think it has the higher meta, but you can't judge parts, it has to be the sum of all parts and that is where Witcher 3 bests it. If you ask me what was the best game I played this year it would be between MGSV and Bloodborne, you ask me for the best game I experienced and Witcher 3 wins easily.

But that's just me.

Eh.
Boring game was boring.

sjay1994

Eh I dunno about that. MGSV is sublime to play. Out of all the criticism it is pretty generally agreed Kojima perfected his craft when it comes to straight gameplay, not the experience overall but the experience of playing it only. That's why I think it has the higher meta, but you can't judge parts, it has to be the sum of all parts and that is where Witcher 3 bests it. If you ask me what was the best game I played this year it would be between MGSV and Bloodborne, you ask me for the best game I experienced and Witcher 3 wins easily.

But that's just me.

Basically. GOTY's are usually games that do a lot of things well, opposed to being a game that does one thing exceptionally well.

Wow, that's pretty shameful on their part. I haven't visited IGN for a while, and I told myself I'd re-add them to my bookmarks if they gave Bloodborne game of the year. Their loss.

Basically. GOTY's are usually games that do a lot of things well, opposed to being a game that does one thing exceptionally well.
So considering Witcher 3's movement and combat, Bloodborne got robbed here.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well deserved.

You could tell the game was made with love and care whenever you see it in action, and not just a game to get out on shelves.

Bravo, CD Projekt.

Fat4all

Banned
Wow, that's pretty shameful on their part. I haven't visited IGN for a while, and I told myself I'd re-add them to my bookmarks if they gave Bloodborne game of the year. Their loss.

They've made a powerful enemy this day.

They better watch their backs.

sjay1994

So considering Witcher 3's movement and combat, Bloodborne got robbed here.

Are you parody or a real person? Its been getting hard to tell the difference recently.

Top Bottom