• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN GOTY 2015 & People's Choice: The Witcher 3

Oneself

I have yet to understand why it's "that good" but I keep playing. Maybe it will click later on.

Then again, DA:I was one of the best rated and most loved titles ...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I have yet to understand why it's "that good" but I keep playing. Maybe it will click later on.

Then again, DA:I was one of the best rated and most loved titles ...

Dragon Age Inquisition was way better than The Witcher 3. It shouldn't have won GOTY over Bayonetta 2, but it's more deserving than Witcher 3 at the very least.

iNvid02

They've made a powerful enemy this day.

They better watch their backs.

Gotta admit, this response made making that post worth it lol

Are you parody or a real person? Its been getting hard to tell the difference recently.

arbok used leer against IGN!... it wasn't very effective

image.php

back in the pokeball you go
tumblr_m9a6eqNYze1qfqgb9o1_500.gif

Really, really good game. Sets a new standard for storytelling and sidequest quality. Music was surprisingly great. Graphics -- of course -- are another highlight.

Hypron

Haha, well if "mainstream" doesnt take complexity, or difficulty, "hand-holding" into account, then we got a pretty shallow definition of mainstream. If the only factors are where the game was made, if its open world or not, and if the protagonist fits some persons shallow definition of a "cool-guy" stereotype, then its really saying nothing at all. Lets not forget either that witcher 2 was not pc-only, and had a semi-open world structure, so calling one nice and the other clearly mainstream is some major reaching. Also the game was made in poland, not exactly a country big on videogame development. So to blanket so much of the world under the "western" banner also make the term meaningless.

Yeah, from the music to the world design to the dialogue this game feels different from most RPGs made in the US. I dislike this reductive mentality of putting games in two different buckets: Japanese games or "Western" (i.e. literally the rest of the world). Central/Eastern European stuff does tend to feel different from western European stuff.

ps3ud0

no its actually not, but its what it totally should be about. maybe its domination will get a few devs to look at it and learn
Main thing I pray for, as the idea of open world is becoming a negative rather than an interesting feature for me - CDPR at least (well perhaps get rid of all the question marks) put some real effort making it less of a collecthon...

ps3ud0 8)

silva1991

An absolute masterpiece. People will still talk and remember The Witcher 3 fondly for years to come. Congrats CDPR!

NeoGAF is gonna look kinda funny if Witcher 3 doesn't win considering it has demolished everything else in critics and people's choices.

Nah, they won't just like they didn't look funny when they voted for Bayonetta 2 after being destroyed by Dragon Age and Shadow Of Mordor.

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2014/09/2014-game-of-year.html

reKon

Banned
Haven't gotten Witcher 3, but playing through Witcher 2 on PC. They had to have made massive improvements to the gameplay and interface for this game to be winning this many GOTY's. Some of the shit I have to deal with Witcher 2 is awful, lol...

arbok used leer against IGN!... it wasn't very effective

image.php

back in the pokeball you go
tumblr_m9a6eqNYze1qfqgb9o1_500.gif
Just a quick fact-check here, Leer is a status move and isn't affected by typing. If Leer doesn't work, it would be due to an ability or move and the description would clarify why.

Daingurse

Haven't gotten Witcher 3, but playing through Witcher 2 on PC. They had to have made massive improvements to the gameplay and interface for this game to be winning this many GOTY's. Some of the shit I have to deal with Witcher 2 is awful, lol...

Witcher 2 is still my favorite of the series.

One of the few things I like more than The Witcher 3 is people getting legitimately buttfrustrated about it winning arbitrary GOTY awards over [insert favourite software].

It's the game that just continues to keep on giving. Incredible value.

I'll say, exploring Flotsam and the surrounding forest is one of my favorite moments in the whole series. The forest just looks so badass.

Sayers

An absolute masterpiece. People will still talk and remember The Witcher 3 fondly for years to come. Congrats CDPR!

NeoGAF is gonna look kinda funny if Witcher 3 doesn't win considering it has demolished everything else in critics and people's choices.

God forbid we don't fall in line with IGN

And Witcher 3 was my favorite game this year

reKon

Banned

I'm still enjoying the game, but in my first few hours since I'm a hoarder I was already over weight and struggle to make to the first town while getting my fat ass beat from moving to slow.

I mean c'mon now, they should have designed the inventory/weight system better or not implement it at all.

The comfy couch mod has helped a lot though.

With TLoU competing against GTA V back in 2013, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Witcher 3 doesn't have that kind of competition.

I mean, you really don't think Fallout 4, MGS V, and Bloodborne are incredible competition? To frank, I'd personally take MGS and BB (and maybe FO4) over GTA V.

One of the best games I have ever played. The DLC so far has the potential to cement it as the best RPG ever made. When the package of the full game and DLC is complete it will be an amazing experience for new players.

RexNovis

Banned

Could you be any more smug and obnoxious? It has been a long time since I've read a post that has made me actually say "what the fuck?" out loud. I hope it loses GAF's GOTY just to spite your intolerable bullshit. Congrats for making me actually root against the game.

Could you be any more smug and obnoxious? It has been a long time since I've read a post that has made me actually say "what the fuck?" out loud. I hope it loses GAF's GOTY just to spite your intolerable bullshit.

That was actually one of his tamer posts regarding The Witcher III, if you can believe it.

iNvid02

Just a quick fact-check here, Leer is a status move and isn't affected by typing. If Leer doesn't work, it would be due to an ability or move and the description would clarify why.

yeah i..um i knew that, was just testing your digimon knowledge

v0yce

Yep, Shadow of Modor racked up a ton of GOTY awards last year and GAF looked like a bunch of goofs when they didn't fall in line.

Lingitiz

Yet kinda similar...

I would say The Witcher 3 is the complete opposite of Dragon Age Inquisition. DAI is a similarly huge game yet most of it is filled with busy work, empty areas, and little storytelling outside of the main story. It is the very example of quantity over quality and comes off as soulless and more copy/paste than any Ubisoft open world game. It's huge for no other reason than to put "100+ hours of gameplay" on the list of bulletpoints.

if TW3 didn't come just a year later it would seem like a response to that exact design. Nearly every quest has a worthwhile story to tell, is produced with close to the same care to voice acting and quality as the main storyline. Everything feels handcrafted, yet it is still vast and huge.

I received Witcher 3 for Christmas, and while I'm not saying it isn't a good game, I really wish I 'got it' like other people do. For me it just seems very unpolished. I posted in the OT about the amount of glitches I had when first starting, add to that the five voice actors and NPCs they recycle constantly... It's hard to be immersed, personally speaking. Yes, the quests and story are sometimes impressive (e.g. that Bloody Baron quest), but most of the time I just find myself looking at copy and pasted villages/ assets/ NPCs etc.

mxgt

Banned
I started playing it a few weeks ago, 35 hours later I absolutely see why it's getting the awards it is.

One of the most finely crafted worlds I've ever seen, and I've only been to a few areas. I just spent 2 and a half hours walking around Novigrad for the first time and the level of detail is just astounding.

I liked TW1 and 2, but this game is on another level.

What an odd thing to say.

Daingurse

It's the game that just continues to keep on giving. Incredible value.

I'll say, exploring Flotsam and the surrounding forest is one of my favorite moments in the whole series. The forest just looks so badass.

Flotsam Forest still looks incredible. I loved the tight focused linear design of the game. The semi-open game zones felt lush, detailed, and hand-crafted. I was frankly blown away visually by the game in 2011. I enjoyed the political intrigue of the narrative more than Witcher 3's main quest line. Didnt know it at the time, but I dig the hell outta that stuff. It's why I love Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire. Witcher 3 is very close to 2 for me now after Hearts of Stone though. If Blood and Wine is on-par or better, then that should push it over for me.

Witcher 2 was a very special game for me. I approached the series I guess at at just the right time, right after Dragon Age 2 lol.

Raven117

Witcher 3 is one of those games that people will compare with every open world game for years to come. Much like how Morrowind is still discussed in open world....so will be Witcher 3. A game that really set the bar...(until some other game raises it)...especially when it comes to story telling in open world...(a part of the open world formula that has lacked since its inception...Not counting CRPG...but that's a bit different).

I hope CDProjectRed knows just how out of the park they hit the ball and its still going.

antitrop

I mean, you really don't think Fallout 4, MGS V, and Bloodborne are incredible competition? To frank, I'd personally take MGS and BB (and maybe FO4) over GTA V.
I mean as far as the media. In total awards, GTA V was a lot closer to TLoU than any other game is to The Witcher 3 for last year.

It's been pretty much a clean sweep for TW3, so I have no problem believing it will top the number of awards TLoU recieved.

Hupsel

I love everything about Witcher 3 except the combat. The sword combat is pretty boring and Geralt's spells too. Everything else is amazing, though. Characters and quests are pretty interesting and fun. The DLC was also amazing. Maan if they ever do a open world game like Witcher 3 but with bloodborne's combat...

Top Bottom