• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Retro Studios Working on Donkey Kong Revival

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Craig Harris with the story.

Holy shit if true (which seems very likely at this point).

Deserved it's own thread.

Note: IGN mentions it is a "rumor", but IGN wouldn't post a story on it's front page two days before E3 unless they 100% thought it was true (at least I hope so).

UPDATE: It seems Peer (from IGN) has been tweeting about the subject.

Will Nintendo fans go ape over Retro's new game?

Don't read too much into my tweet. I just figured people might go bananas over Retro's next game. ;)

I hope Retro's new game will barrel me over.

http://twitter.com/peerign

And a dude in the know (when it comes to Retro information) basically confirmed Retro Studio's DK project within this thread.

Hal_Laboratory said:
It's a bit more complicated than what IGN has revealed... they've been working on stuff for a long time. I've known about this particular project since early 2006. It's cool.

ampere

Skiesofwonder said:
Deserved it's own thread.
Considering we had a thread just wondering if we'd hear about Retro :lol
I hope it's true, I love Retro and I love DK.

edit:
Really looking at the article there's no source or anything. That writer could just want this to be true... didn't even say where he heard it.

Because if there's one genre that pops into mind when I hear Retro Studios, it's mascot-driven platform games.

Not saying it can't work, just... really weird.

DiscoJer

Heh, the most forgotten character in video game history (at least Nintendo) - Pauline, Mario's first girlfriend.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Weird I was gonna post in the "Will we see Retro at E3" thread that I thought Donkey Kong was the most likely IP Nintendo would let them handle since most people, outside Donkey Konga fans, havent really cared much for the franchise since Rare and the SNES days. Could be cool if true, but Im skeptical. I would still rather see them do something original.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
But without Matt, IGN doesn't really have any credible industry connections to support these idle rumor-mongering. Is there any other reason to believe this? Otherwise, its no different than Craig's "The 3DS will be as powerful as the 360/PS3" rumor at face value.

upandaway

Besides DKC, I never got the love for DK. The Wii game also wasn't that good.

I also don't think Retro's strengths can come into full play with that IP.

Well, whatever. Hopefully not true, but I'm leaning towards true.

Poyunch

Bah I wanted a sci-fi shooter from Retro without using an old Nintendo IP. Oh well. Obviously since it's Retro I'll watch it but I'd be disappointed if true (obviously it's my fault for being disappointed, but still!).

Skiesofwonder said:
IGN didn't put rumor in it's title so neither did I.

You did leave out the question mark, though, and the word rumor is repeated throughout the article.

I think it's probably true, but it's not fact yet.

upandaway

grandjedi6 said:
But without Matt, IGN doesn't really have any credible industry connections to support these idle rumor-mongering. Is there any other reason to believe this? Otherwise, its no different than Craig's "The 3DS will be as powerful as the 360/PS3" rumor at face value.
I guess?

seady

grandjedi6 said:

Craig did not put up the news about 3DS as powerful as 360/PS3. In fact, he bought it up in his podcast saying he didn't understand where that rumor came about. He did believe it to be Wii level though.

Also, he is quite credible. He started working together with Matt since day 1.

trinest

DK returning would be great- and for me it hits my taste buds much better then Metroid so I won't be fussed- but I think its to big of a risk for Retro to change to fanbase wise.

Also: funny how people were excited about a Retro Zelda, but not a Retro DK. Hard to see how one is more suited to Retro than the other in terms of gameplay.

Oh but wait, Zelda has swords and dramatic music so it's more of a mature "western" game than one featuring a tie-wearing ape. Carry on, then.

D-Pad

Damn if true. :\ Way to ruin the E3 surprise. Looks like I'm going to have to avoid all websites until Tuesday. :lol

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Wasn't IGN also saying Factor 5 or Retro was doing a new Kid Icarus game?

So yeah...I'll believe it when it's actually true!

IGN mentioned Factor 5 developing KI in a podcast (which they were at one point). Them posting this article on their front page two days before E3 is a bit different.

Firestorm

Skiesofwonder said:
Note: IGN mentions it is a "rumor", but IGN wouldn't post a story on it's front page two days before E# unless they 100% thought it was true (at least I hope so).
not enough lol smileys in the world

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
upandaway said:
eh, Peer probably heard about it from the same place Craig did. Still the same source.

seady said:
Craig did not put up the news about 3DS as powerful as 360/PS3. In fact, he bought it up in his podcast saying he didn't understand where that rumor came about. He did believe it to be Wii level though.
Yes he did, its in an article he's credited for: http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1094930p1.html

Also, he is quite credible. He started working together with Matt since day 1.
I don't care what a Kangaroo says.

upandaway

Catchpenny said:
Also: funny how people were excited about a Retro Zelda, but not a Retro DK. Hard to see how one is more suited to Retro than the other in terms of gameplay.

Oh but wait, Zelda has swords and dramatic music so it's more of a mature "western" game than one featuring a tie-wearing ape. Carry on, then.
What the hell are you talking about?

Top Bottom