• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Official In-Engine Gameplay Teaser (Xbox Series X|S, PC)

Royal-Slime

Banned
Peopley say that about tlou. Console people who like the story and the characters, mistaking that for a good game, and are using its status as an exclusive for console wars.

Stalker Call of Prypiat has none of that nonsense. Its simply at the top of the gaming medium by the strength of its gameplay and design. The Stalker series is, in fact, peak gaming. With no exagerration or hyperbole. Call of Prypiat in particular, besides this series having mechanics and gameplay that literally no other game has, in existence - is just beautifully designed. A lot of the things people bitch about for open world games were solved a decade ago by Stalker. A large map, but not too large. Traversal is fast and involving and interesting. Unique, hand crafted places of interest throughout the large map that all have purpose and arent there just to stretch the game. The entire world is functioning and living without giving a fuck about you, the player. Going from one handcrafted place of interest to another exposes you to mutants, bandits, rival stalkers, anomalies, blowouts and more.

All this on an unforgiving and visceral difficulty. Weapons have multiple characteristics like penetration power, rate of fire, condition, recoil and so on. There is weapon balistics - you can see the tracers firing from your weapon and their path, because the game uses actual projectiles that are coming out of your weapon.

Its just an overall masterpiece and always has been
sounds like mantra :3

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
No, it sounds like a game thats in front of the pack
giphy.gif

regawdless

Banned
Loved OG Stalker. This looks good, judging from the atmosphere this teaser conveys.

Still sceptical about the end result. I have trust issues regarding reanimating old franchises. There are very few Doom 2016s.

Doczu

Man i hope the game won't be AS janky as the originals at release.
Everyone bitching about Cyberpunk probably never played Shadow of Chernobyl at launch. Game barely ran and worked. It took a crazy amount of official and comunity patches to get it right and alle the cut (but still in game files) content was enoughfor a second game.
I remember downloading a mod that allowed you to sleep and you got random fmv dream sequences which were in the game files, but they cut out sleeping so the videos just were there for nothing.
Same with a lot of other stuff.

Man i hope the game won't be AS janky as the originals at release.
Everyone bitching about Cyberpunk probably never played Shadow of Chernobyl at launch. Game barely ran and worked. It took a crazy amount of official and comunity patches to get it right and alle the cut (but still in game files) content was enoughfor a second game.
I remember downloading a mod that allowed you to sleep and you got random fmv dream sequences which were in the game files, but they cut out sleeping so the videos just were there for nothing.
Same with a lot of other stuff.

Nope, not true. Stalker SOC had bugs in the way of collision bugs, physics bugs, maybe an enemy's body would dissapear after you killed him and you couldnt get his ammo. Stuff like that. It was never unplayable nor required mods to "be playable" ,as you often see in modern times being said by people who obviously werent there at the launch of the game. It was rougher, sure. Wasnt a super polished huge budget game. But nothing you couldnt manage.

Now Clear Sky, that was the broken one at release. That was even worse than cyberpunk, yeah. They fixed though with multiple patches. And Call of Prypiat launched in english fully patched and the most stable.

They are extremely cheap on Steam... :goog_relieved:

Thing is, if I were to play just one of the three, which would be the best?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is the best introduction to the world in which the action takes place (the Zone), which is a given considering that it is the first in the series, and is the most atmospheric of the bunch. Also features a surprisingly great narrative with multiple endings that eases you in with a strong sense of progression, albeit the story itself is incredibly poorly told. I think it's an essential play just to get yourself used to the Zone. You can get it on GOG.com, and play it as is. Although i recommend checking a few mods even for a first time playthrough. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. IP is one of those PC centric titles that have an immense, insanely dedicated modding community (r/stalker & Mod DB) that has kept the trilogy relevant all these years.

I personally recommend either playing the game purely vanilla with the Zone Reclamation Project (brilliantly crafted bug-fix mod which also contains a modifier application to adjust various in-game elements such as the headbob, or add a sleeping bag) or adding a package of mods i merged containing the ZRP and a number of graphical enhancing mods - XpressTuning's Remaster (Ultimate Edition).

After you're done with Shadow of Chernobyl, you've got two choices. You can either play and finish the other two games and then jump into S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Anomaly, or just jump straight into S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Anomaly. Suffice to say, the end game for any stalker is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Anomaly.
I think I tried to play the original game and dropped it twice.

i dunno maybe I’m playing it wrong but it felt like a very tedious version of Fallout on Survival setting.

I guess the closest description was it was very slow? Maybe I’ll come around to it if anybody wants to give tips.

How much progress did you make?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Many thanks xpresstuning xpresstuning ! I ended up buying it yesterday on Steam for less than 5€, and also decided to play it vanilla and on the highest difficulty available. I'll probably get my ass handed but I was told it's the best setting.

I'll save those mods tou mention tho for a possible second playthrough. I was already told of the Reclamation Project, but after thinking it a little bit I decided to go with the vanilla experience.

Thanks again, and hny!

killatopak

How much progress did you make?

I can’t remember much about my first try but it was definitely longer than my second which was raiding a warehouse after meeting up with a bunch of guys from the first town or something. I then went on exploring along a train or something which has a bunch of supernatural encounters that had floating electricity iirc then I dropped it somewhere close after. I can’t remember much. On my first try, the only thing I remember was that I finally had a gun which had a scope instead of a standard handgun or shotgun I think.

I was thinking that it had too many systems that I needed to pay attention to. It was also a time where I didn’t really play too many difficult game and just want an experience. I guess that was contributor as well.

I can’t remember much about my first try but it was definitely longer than my second which was raiding a warehouse after meeting up with a bunch of guys from the first town or something. I then went on exploring along a train or something which has a bunch of supernatural encounters that had floating electricity iirc then I dropped it somewhere close after. I can’t remember much. On my first try, the only thing I remember was that I finally had a gun which had a scope instead of a standard handgun or shotgun I think.

I was thinking that it had too many systems that I needed to pay attention to. It was also a time where I didn’t really play too many difficult game and just want an experience. I guess that was contributor as well.
It's very early on, right after the "tutorial" (the first mission). S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl has a notoriously bad starting section because it throws you in with no explanation regarding whatever approach may work or not work and gives you the worst weapons possible. That's why it's good that you can quick save/load, gives you the opportunity to learn from mistakes at a minimal cost.

Let me give you some advice on the gunplay. There are a number of underlying mechanics that influence the gunplay for which you need to adjust, keep in check and learn to take advantage:
  • Default Gun Accuracy
  • Ammo type
  • Stance
  • Gun Condition
  • Varied damage multipliers based on specific body parts
  • Aiming through iron sights raises accuracy
  • Reduction of accuracy on rapid fire - meant to simulate recoil.
Early guns and sawn-off shotguns are low-tier inaccurate garbage with a 50 meter limit to their range, it's a rough start that push players to question if something is wrong with how the gunplay was designed. The design is based on progression, you will eventually get good weapons (with no limit) and as you gain some experience under your belt accuracy will be a non-issue. So for starters, use weapons that are in great condition, and aim for the head/torso while (if the opportunity arises) crouching or low-crouching (ctrl+shift). Advance slowly, stay hidden from enemy fire (keep your distance once you've acquired a rifle with a mountable scope and position yourself accordingly).

It's a very different beast of a game that doesn't have any proper successors that tried to improve or replicate the formula. As a whole, it's a unique trilogy, and you'll need to have the leniency to learn its mechanics. Once you do, and once you get access to decent weapons (about a quarter in), the game is extremely rewarding.

This got me in the mood to play some Shadow of Chernobyl again. Once again, I am unable to get it running. I haven't been able to play it since two desktops ago. It won't start on my laptop either. -noprefetch, switching compatibilites, editing files...fuuuuuuuuck I love these games.

Top Bottom