• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Gotham Knights Performance Review PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs PC

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Batman might be gone, but Gotham still has a battle ahead and performance should be at the top of their list. With the latest Gotham Knights launching across all current generation consoles and PC this week, we had time to swoop into Gotham and Unreal Engine 4 powering it, to take it for a ride. 30fps has already been announced but is that the best you can hope for? What about resolutions, graphics and does the PC release offer the best way to play? Join us in battle of wits, firepower and frames rates in our IGN performance review.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

4293cee52355548b8cd4.png

Just look at GPU usage, amateur job.

dotnotbot

Apparently it can drop to 50s on a RTX 4090 with DLSS.

Fuck.

And there are stutter issues even if you drop to low.

So we went ahead and dropped our settings to Medium, and we were still getting those stutters/performance hitches. Hell, we even used the game’s Low settings, and the stutters were still there. Here is a screenshot on Low settings. Notice that we’re getting the exact same stutters/hitches at the exact same place. So no, this isn’t a CPU issue.

Last edited:
What a MAJOR fail... to not deliver a correctly framepaced and LOCKED 30 fps game on the PS5 and Xbox Series X nevermind a 60 fps Performance mode. Warner's clearly rushed this out to cash in on the pre-Christmas market rather taking more time to PROPERLY optimise it. What a massive disappointment. I hope this FLOPS badly, if for no other reason that to teach publishers and developers that they need to prioritise performance over releasing beta versions and then (possibly) patching it to improve things later. Fixing these issue after release is not what anyone wants; most people's experience of the game will be based on how it ran at launch. Tut!

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Like I said in the requirements thread it is using CPU coding for ps4 and trying to use gpu power of PS5. This dumbfucks just botched it with their stupidity. A 3080 bowing down to a game that looks like this....
I would argue it's using less than that. It seems like it's not properly utilizing all available cores which is why you're not seeing upper 90s utilization on the GPU side, which would put most workloads on 1-2 cores at most. If that's the case, this game would have never run on PS4 which is why they cancelled it.

intbal

In this game, too bad for Series X and PS5 that you can't disable it. Doesn't look much better than Series S with no RT.
It doesn't look better at all.
If you watch El Analista's side-by-side video, the Series S version looks superior most of the time in reflections, even if inaccurate.
RT does not help this game. PS5/SX should drop it and use the Series S implementation, drop to 1440p, and bump to 60fps.

Godot25

Banned
Really pathetic.
I don't understand why they won't drop RT on Series X and PS5 for 60FPS mode.
Also, why they are shooting for native 4K? Nobody told them that native 4K resolution is waste of resources in times when image reconstruction techniques are great option?

Banned
It doesn't look better at all.
If you watch El Analista's side-by-side video, the Series S version looks superior most of the time in reflections, even if inaccurate.
RT does not help this game. PS5/SX should drop it and use the Series S implementation, drop to 1440p, and bump to 60fps.

to be fair, Screen Space Reflections are dogshit, they might look sharper in these examples but move the camera in the wrong way and it will look like shit.

Bojji

B6WBS7z.png

Picturized: Series S holding back the generation.

:messenger_smirking:

It’s a stupid argument, I’ll give you that. It’s like saying the Switch is holding back a generation because there’s a Switch port for Doom Eternal. If the S brings more games to more people, no one loses.

Switch is getting down ports of some games when it's possible. While series s version has to be always made and it's the lowest common denominator. This console will hold entire 9 gen aside PS5 and pc exclusives, no matter what you think about it this is reality.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Switch is getting down ports of some games when it's possible. While series s version has to be always made and it's the lowest common denominator. This console will hold entire 9 gen aside PS5 and pc exclusives, no matter what you think about it this is reality.

Ok but the example you've quoted shows Series S running 5~6 FPS faster than a much more powerful console.

9/10 people will take a more performant version of the game, not the one which has barely noticeable RT.

Last edited:

intbal

to be fair, Screen Space Reflections are dogshit, they might look sharper in these examples but move the camera in the wrong way and it will look like shit.

So is 30fps with inconsistent frame pacing. Much worse than SSR.
RT and high resolution was the wrong choice.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've predicted that this game will get a 60 fps options after launch.

I ehh...I'd like to use this occasion to formally withdraw my prediction.

I would like this game to get a locked 30 FPS patch first :messenger_grinning_sweat:

FingerBang

Well, now you know you can trust the eyes of yours truly.

As I said here, the game isn't smooth on PS5 and has performance issues. Though that depends on the area.

I have to say the 4 and 5 (out of 10) reviews are ridiculous. The game is disappointing, especially for fans of the Arkham series, but it's also fun to play and far from a disaster.

Last edited:

Banned
So is 30fps with inconsistent frame pacing. Much worse than SSR.
RT and high resolution was the wrong choice.

it was the wrong choice, just saying that it's not fair to say that the game looks better on Series S, because it doesn't. it looks better while standing still with the right camera angle, but not if you move around and don't carefully place your camera to capture reflections properly

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
WB expects you to cough up $70 for this poorly optimized mess, as well as $90 for a deluxe version.

Don’t support publishers who shove trash like this out the door to please shareholders. I predict that this will be a bargain bin price during the holidays.

Such shit performance and the vehicle racing looks less impressive then last gen games.

Last edited:
(shitty apparently) raytracing by default on consoles ? What the fuck ? Now we have the explanation.
Fuck mandatory ray tracing. "Oh boy, when I stand perfectly still and look into a puddle of water or a window, I can see my character's reflection accurately! How immersive! I just have to sacrifice framerate and responsiveness when I actually play the game. What a great trade-off!"

I can't wait until the Discovery WB layoffs and management shake-ups finally make their way to their gaming division. This company needs many swift, hard kicks in the ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom