• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Gotham Knights Performance Review PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs PC

Stuart360

4293cee52355548b8cd4.png

Just look at GPU usage, amateur job.
What the hell?. They are def pushing this game out unfinished. The game needed a 2 or 3 more months in the oven.

Tarnpanzer

What a MAJOR fail... to not deliver a correctly framepaced and LOCKED 30 fps game on the PS5 and Xbox Series X nevermind a 60 fps Performance mode. Warner's clearly rushed this out to cash in on the pre-Christmas market rather taking more time to PROPERLY optimise it. What a massive disappointment. I hope this FLOPS badly, if for not other reason that to teach developers that they need to prioritise performance over releasing beta versions and then (possibly) patching it to improve things later. Fixing these issue after release is not what anyone wants; most people's experience of the game will be based on how it ran at launch. Tut!

Will wait for gamepass in 6-12 months for this. Hopefully better optimized then.

Banned
Fuck mandatory ray tracing. "Oh boy, when I stand perfectly still and look into a puddle of water or a window, I can see my character's reflection accurately! How immersive! I just have to sacrifice framerate and responsiveness when I actually play the game. What a great trade-off!"

that wouldn't be an issue if they didn't run the game at native 4K instead of offering a lower resolution with the same features like Insomniac does

Bojji

Ok but the example you've quoted shows Series S running 5~6 FPS faster than a much more powerful console.

9/10 people will take a more performant version of the game, not the one which has barely noticeable RT.

Series s performing better than other consoles is anomaly and there are only handful of cases like that, usually settings for series x are just to high and this happens. In case of this game: engine is total crap and performs like shit on any hardware.

Usually series s runs games around the same as stronger console while looking like blurry soup, 1440p resolution is rarity, plus worse textures, shadows etc.

Anthem Knights of Avengers is looking hot. Oh, is that the smell of frying gpus?

This game will be heavily discounted by black friday that is not even funny.

Klosshufvud

It doesn't look better at all.
If you watch El Analista's side-by-side video, the Series S version looks superior most of the time in reflections, even if inaccurate.
RT does not help this game. PS5/SX should drop it and use the Series S implementation, drop to 1440p, and bump to 60fps.
Chances are their code may be too broken for that regardless. The game hits so many bottlenecks that it would still be restricted by CPU. Bare in mind these are really good CPUs in these consoles too. PC performance is very telling the state of its code.

Fbh

Wow that's bad.
When they announced it would only run at 30fps I was at least expecting rock solid 30fps. But drops to the low 20's on Ps5/SX and bad frame pacing even when it's hitting the 30fps target? What a fucking joke.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow that's bad.
When they announced it would only run at 30fps I was at least expecting rock solid 30fps. But drops to the low 20's on Ps5/SX and bad frame pacing even when it's hitting the 30fps target? What a fucking joke.
Cant watch the video but what resolution is it running on? And why the fuck would they add RT if performance was so bad?

This is worse than I thought.

dotnotbot

Really pathetic.
I don't understand why they won't drop RT on Series X and PS5 for 60FPS mode.
Also, why they are shooting for native 4K? Nobody told them that native 4K resolution is waste of resources in times when image reconstruction techniques are great option?

Cause it would still not be 60 FPS, game has bottlenecks in other areas and stutter regardless of hardware

Last edited:

Stuart360

I wonder if this is a DX11 title, and it probably is with its routes in PS4 and XB1. You notice on the PC comparison screenshot how the cpu usage is around 30% on each comparison, its like the game is only using 4 or 5 cpu cores, like a lot of DX11 titles do on PC.
No wonder cpu requirements are so high.

Fbh

Cant watch the video but what resolution is it running on? And why the fuck would they add RT if performance was so bad?

This is worse than I thought.

Digital Foundry says the SX/PS5 are seemingly running at native 4K with raytraced reflections.
Apparently in multiple years of development no one at WB Montreal thought that the game dropping to 20fps in places was a sign that maybe they should offer a dynamic resolution mode with no RT.

tommib

Is there a 30 fps unlocked mode on consoles at least? For when the refreshes arrive? It’s my most hated thing about locked fps games now. Give me an option to unlock those frames. Locked 30 fps should be a thing of the past when refreshes became a thing.

Banned
a few screenshots from me running Arkham Knight, an Unreal Engine 3 game btw, at 4K max settings (including Nvidia PhysX)
the images are captured at 4K, I myself played it supersampled down to 1440p, which looked pristine thanks to DLDSR :)

Ryzen 5600X
RTX3060ti
the game is locked to 90fps

batman_arkhamknight20q7e3v.jpg

batman_arkhamknight204kfcx.jpg

batman_arkhamknight204efwg.jpg

batman_arkhamknight20e3ck0.jpg

edit: in motion

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Digital Foundry says the SX/PS5 are seemingly running at native 4K with raytraced reflections.
Apparently in multiple years of development no one at WB Montreal thought that the game dropping to 20fps in places was a sign that maybe they should offer a dynamic resolution mode with no RT.
What a bunch of morons.

The fact that the GPU isnt being fully utilized in those PC benchmarks is proof that these devs are utterly clueless. That is a clear sign of a bottleneck in their codebase or engine and should be the first thing they shouldve checked. Ive literally never seen a game not fully utilize the GPU while not maxing out. Playing Arkham Knight at 4k 90 fps with heavy nvidia settings like enhanced rain, next gen smoke and physics enabled and the game maxes out my 3080's GPU utilization. And that was arguably the worst port of its time back then.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Performance issues aside, I didn't hear the difficulty they were playing on but the enemies just stand there and wait their turn to get beat-up. Not a good look at all.

hlm666

I wonder if this is a DX11 title, and it probably is with its routes in PS4 and XB1. You notice on the PC comparison screenshot how the cpu usage is around 30% on each comparison, its like the game is only using 4 or 5 cpu cores, like a lot of DX11 titles do on PC.
No wonder cpu requirements are so high.
I'm not sure why making a ps4 game would mean it has to be dx11 seeing well, that's not the api used on ps and the ps5 wont be using directx you can safely bank on that. Anyway it's directx 12 only on pc according to the pc reqs listed.

Stuart360

I'm not sure why making a ps4 game would mean it has to be dx11 seeing well, that's not the api used on ps and the ps5 wont be using directx you can safely bank on that. Anyway it's directx 12 only on pc according to the pc reqs listed.
I know, i meant most cross gen games run in DX11 on PC, or atleast have a DX11 option. A lot of DX11 PC games are limited in the amount of cpu cores they use.
The 30% cpu usage on those PC comparisons made me think its the case here, but if its DX12 only then its just shit code and bad optimization.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
a few screenshots from me running Arkham Knight, an Unreal Engine 3 game btw, at 4K max settings (including Nvidia PhysX)
the images are captured at 4K, I myself played it supersampled down to 1440p, which looked pristine thanks to DLDSR :)

Ryzen 5600X
RTX3060ti

Beautiful, what did we do to deserve this travesty in return. It’s over to you Rocksteady to do something right with suicide squad.

Fbh

Ryzen 5600X
RTX3060ti

I'm sure there's places where people will be able to point out how Gotham Knights is technically superior. It probably has a cleaner IQ, higher res textures and things like that.
But aesthetically Arkham Knight is on a different tier

Stuart360

The "4090 is overkill for gaming" crowd clenching their buttcheeks as we speak.
To be fair, i'd bet its cpu bottlenecks causing that 50fps. I have watched plently of unbelieveable 4090 benchmark vids and i simply dont believe a 4090 is being maxed at 50fps at times in this game, even if it were 8k or soemhting.

The Steam reviews are going to be glorious with this game.

SlimySnake

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear you want to refund your order.

I can confirm that I have now cancelled this order and I have processed a refund.

Your funds will return to your account shortly, although please note this can take between 3-5 working days whilst your bank processes the refund.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or queries.

Kind regards,
Jordan

__________________________________________________________________________________

I like these devs. Origins was great and I love Batman AK, so I really wanted to give this game a shot, but not fully utilizing the GPU on PC is simply unacceptable. I can tolerate poor performance at launch, but not feeding the GPU enough instrusctions? I cant sanction this buffoonery.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
From software level of incompetence here
That tweet about Series S told the whole story better than these benchmarks, I think they thought that people are still stupid and uninformed...

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear you want to refund your order.

I can confirm that I have now cancelled this order and I have processed a refund.

Your funds will return to your account shortly, although please note this can take between 3-5 working days whilst your bank processes the refund.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or queries.

Kind regards,
Jordan

__________________________________________________________________________________

I like these devs. Origins was great and I love Batman AK, so I really wanted to give this game a shot, but not fully utilizing the GPU on PC is simply unacceptable. I can tolerate poor performance at launch, but not feeding the GPU enough instrusctions? I cant sanction this buffoonery.
It's hard to tell without CPU graphs, but yes if the engine does not work good in multi threading, this is what you see...

Last edited:

M1chl

Allandor

1440p30 on Series S
2160p30 on Series X/PS5

Ray Tracing only on X/PS5 but it doesn't look much better if at all.

Constant stutters regardless of platform.

545e93af27f88fb02944969c6fe0e069.jpg
Nothing unexpected after the last batman entry on PC ... the developer is still launchs an unoptimized game (I guess thx to the publisher).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Batman was everything to me last generation, the evolution of super hero games is exciting.

M1chl

It got there in the end and the game was superb, my fave of that generation. It's still stunning and I've yet to see a game that impressed me as much tbh.
No I am just pointing out that this publisher at least have some weird ideas about how should the game run. You know this is most likely issue with the management, when they were able to get there eventually.

Banned
Nothing unexpected after the last batman entry on PC ... the developer is still launchs an unoptimized game (I guess thx to the publisher).

different engine and different dev team.
the PC port of Arkham Knight also was yet another different dev team than either of these games

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
No I am just pointing out that this publisher at least have some weird ideas about how should the game run. You know this is most likely issue with the management, when they were able to get there eventually.
Sure, WB are cancer at this point. At least they are making less retarded decisions in some of their movies...

Top Bottom