• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm At A Loss: Tim Buckly Launches CAD Kickstarter W/Every Pre-Reboot Strip In Print

Is there a place I can go to read the "best" of this Raine Dog strip?

Most is available on http://web.archive.org/web/20100113215509/http://rainedog.com/d/20090116.html the story jumps around seemingly at random but there could be a reason for that in the missing pages.

This follow up to the dog kiss page was the only real "highlight".

YlkZjIi.jpg

[comics]

That last one is meta as fuck.

Goddamn, these are perfect.

These basically make themselves at this point.

There should really be one of those comic slot machines/randomizers for loss comics.

http://idefex.net/projects/cadrule

Doesn't really work with newer strips because Buckley, to his credit, changed the four-panel format, but it works great with the older one.

Wait wait wait...I don't think anyone has touched on this yet but why is he playing Guitar Hero outside?

Because WORDWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS:

cad-20070509-dff8b.jpg

Actually, it doesn't even explain that. Thanks Buckley.

CAD really has a lot of "you said something about what I like that doesn't fit my opinion/views, so I'm going to respond with immediate full-force anger, belittlement, and violence.". There's a surprising lack of understanding and polite conversation in this series.

Boney

Banned
CAD really has a lot of "you said something about what I like that doesn't fit my opinion/views, so I'm going to respond with immediate full-force anger, belittlement, and violence.".
By using strawmen and absurd reductionisms (is that even a word?). Dude's a sociopath and people are paying for it jeez
The one about "gamers fucking you up" really brings the point across

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
CAD really has a lot of "you said something about what I like that doesn't fit my opinion/views, so I'm going to respond with immediate full-force anger, belittlement, and violence.". There's a surprising lack of understanding and polite conversation in this series.

violence between purely fictional characters in a comical context.

id argue that 17 page hate thread against a dude putting his harmless art out there for free so that some might enjoy it is way more violent than any of his comics.

MrBadger

These really are the worst kinds of comics. Like the ones where the dissenting viewpoint is an easily flustered fat nerd angry yelling things that the smart mature protagonist rolls his eyes at before shooting the nerd in the face

id argue that 17 page hate thread against a dude putting his harmless art out there for free so that some might enjoy it, is way more violent than any of his comics.

I always laugh when people say this in an anti-Buckley thread. If you think his art is the main reason he has developed such a terrible reputation and so much united hate, then you're either not paying attention or deliberately ignoring all the reasons people hate him.

Criticizing his art/comic is what people would call only relevant by association, or icing on the cake.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I always laugh when people say this in an anti-Buckley thread. If you think his art is the main reason he has developed such a terrible reputation and so much united hate, then you're either not paying attention or deliberately ignoring all the reasons people hate him.

Criticizing his art/comic is what people would call only relevant by association, or icing on the cake.

are you reading this thread? there's tons of it. have you read any of the past cad threads? there's tons of it. i dont even see these issues youre bringing up being discussed at all in the pages ive looked at. you dont even bring up a single one in your own rebuttal. and finally, are these transgressions so bad, whatever they are, that they warrant years of this bullshit? the miscarriage comic wasn't funny, sure. but he felt like discussing a personal struggle of his in a way he knew how to. if you dont like it, then fine. but you really want to mock his personal struggle ad nauseum? its fucking disgusting imo.

i wish every gaffer had their most awkward cringe worthy moments on display so we could fucking rail them about it until they break.

Sounds like GAF

are you reading this thread? there's tons of it. have you read any of the past cad threads? there's tons of it. i dont even see these issues your bringing up being discussed at all in the pages ive looked at. you dont even bring up a single one in your own rebuttal. and finally, are these transgressions so bad, whatever they are, that they warrant years of this bullshit? the miscarriage comic wasn't funny, sure. but he felt like discussing a personal struggle of his in a way he knew how to. if you dont like it, then fine. but you really want to mock his personal struggle ad nauseum? its fucking disgusting imo.

i wish every gaffer had their most awkward cringe worthy moments on display so we could fucking rail them about it until they break.

The miscarriage is something people still make fun of because they think it's funny, and enough people think it's hilarious that it won't die. Is that a reason people hate him so bad? Not necessarily, it's just one of the things people find humorously terrible about someone they already hate.

Why do they hate him? Why do I not like him personally?

The rude and disrespectful way he has treated his fans online and in person.
The ways he has ignored his fans in person during conventions.
His general behavior at conventions.
His aggressive behavior with his professional peers that resulted in him no longer being invited to conventions.
Sending nudes to minors.
Stealing money from a charity to buy himself a tablet.
The way he talks to anyone on his forums that criticizes him (whether it's terrible internet criticism, or the far more rare honest and polite criticism). He can not take criticism, even from polite and honest sources, and responds with bans and long hateful insults.
The way he has treated his fans in-game like in WoW.
Sabatoging professional peers Wikipedia pages then denying it aggressively when he's faced with evidence he did it.
Sabatoging his own Wikipedia page and blaming it on his peers.
Being a huge jerk in general.

I'm not going to go on, there's a ton of stuff that's anecdotal, there's a ton of things people hate that have evidence to support them. Between them all, the proven things and the hear-say things, there's a common theme that he is a mean and manipulative person.

This things are discussed in this thread, at several points. I've been reading this thread since it started.

massoluk

Banned

id argue that 17 page hate thread against a dude putting his harmless art out there for free so that some might enjoy it is way more violent than any of his comics.

Tim Buckley hasn't treated many people well, that's why. I remember him kicking people off The Rapscallions, a WOW guild he founded, with no warning, causing nightmare for the people in the guild. http://www.wowwiki.com/Guild:The_Rapscallions_(Dark_Iron_US)

are you reading this thread? there's tons of it. have you read any of the past cad threads? there's tons of it. i dont even see these issues youre bringing up being discussed at all in the pages ive looked at. you dont even bring up a single one in your own rebuttal. and finally, are these transgressions so bad, whatever they are, that they warrant years of this bullshit? the miscarriage comic wasn't funny, sure. but he felt like discussing a personal struggle of his in a way he knew how to. if you dont like it, then fine. but you really want to mock his personal struggle ad nauseum? its fucking disgusting imo.

CAD defense force has arrived.

The Loss strip was an underhanded way of mocking his ex-girlfriend for becoming a "sad, depressed sack of tears" after her miscarriage, and he implied that he used her miscarriage as an excuse to break up with her. When her comic counterpart gets over it in a couple of hours and goes back to wanting little more than to play video games and sleep with the protagonist, he's saying that's how his real-life girlfriend should have responded to such a traumatizing event. Buckley didn't care, so why should she?

He also stole charity money. So there's that.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The miscarriage is something people still make fun of because they think it's funny, and enough people think it's hilarious that it won't die. Is that a reason people hate him so bad? Not necessarily, it's just one of the things people find humorously terrible about someone they already hate.

Why do they hate him? Why do I not like him personally?

The rude and disrespectful way he has treated his fans online and in person.
The ways he has ignored his fans in person during conventions.
His general behavior at conventions.
His aggressive behavior with his professional peers that resulted in him no longer being invited to conventions.
Sending nudes to minors.
Stealing money from a charity to buy himself a tablet.
The way he talks to anyone on his forums that criticizes him (whether it's terrible internet criticism, or the far more rare honest and polite criticism). He can not take criticism, even from polite and honest sources, and responds with bans and long hateful insults.
The way he has treated his fans in-game like in WoW.
Sabatoging professional peers Wikipedia pages then denying it aggressively when he's faced with evidence he did it.
Sabatoging his own Wikipedia page and blaming it on his peers.
Being a huge jerk in general.

I'm not going to go on, there's a ton of stuff that's anecdotal, there's a ton of things people hate that have evidence to support them. Between them all, the proven things and the hear-say things, there's a common theme that he is a mean and manipulative person.

This things are discussed in this thread, at several points. I've been reading this thread since it started.

good! then focus on that shit, call him out on it once, say your piece, and move on.

some of that stuff sounds pretty fucking bad, but to his partial defence, i would totally be kind of a dick if i was constantly aware of 1000s of people being a dick to me. im also a big phil fish fan, who woulda thunk?

we've all done stupid shit, if i knew your top 5 stupid shit youve done in your life i would probably be disgusted with at least one or two of them. but because you and i aren't famous we can just apologize to the people weve wronged, be forgiven, and move on. i dont know for sure, but i would guess that hes probably apologized for some if not all of the stupid stuff he's done.

we're among thousands of people railing on one guy though. we won't always get to hear the apology, and we wont know how much punishment he's already received for what he's done. being stupid on the internet once or twice shouldn't condemn you to endless ridicule until you're dead. the fact is that this thread wasn't started because of some new bad thing he did. it was started because he's putting out a box set for his fans, of which he must still have a lot if he doubled his goal. so shit, can't we just let him and his fans be happy? what does it take for the internet to stop shitting on someone? that's actually a question i've been interested in for a long time.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
CAD defense force has arrived.

The Loss strip was an underhanded way of mocking his ex-girlfriend for becoming a "sad, depressed sack of tears" after her miscarriage, and he implied that he used her miscarriage as an excuse to break up with her. When her comic counterpart gets over it in a couple of hours and goes back to wanting little more than to play video games and sleep with the protagonist, he's saying that's how his real-life girlfriend should have responded to such a traumatizing event. Buckley didn't care, so why should she?

He also stole charity money. So there's that.

he was talking about himself and how he learned to joke about it eventually. here's the post:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20080602

also, how you got "he implied that he used her miscarriage as an excuse to break up with her", from:

"Some many years ago, long before I started the comic, I was in a relationship and we suffered a miscarriage. Now, this relationship was toxic to begin with and doomed to fail regardless, so that the miscarriage was the straw that broke the camel's back came as no surprise. It was a pregnancy neither of us wanted in the first place, so the event didn't effect me nearly as much as it would, say, a couple who was trying for a child. Still, I saw the emotions it can bring up first hand, and I saw how it could truly hurt someone. It's a tough thing to handle because it's nobody's fault. There's nobody you can blame."

I'll never know.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
good! then focus on that shit, call him out on it once, say your piece, and move on.

some of that stuff sounds pretty fucking bad, but to his partial defence, i would totally be kind of a dick if i was constantly aware of 1000s of people being a dick to me. im also a big phil fish fan, who woulda thunk?

we've all done stupid shit, if i knew your top 5 stupid shit youve done in your life i would probably be disgusted with at least one or two of them. but because you and i aren't famous we can just apologize to the people weve wronged, be forgiven, and move on. i dont know for sure, but i would guess that hes probably apologized for some if not all of the stupid stuff he's done.

we're among thousands of people railing on one guy though. we won't always get to hear the apology, and we wont know how much punishment he's already received for what he's done. being stupid on the internet once or twice shouldn't condemn you to endless ridicule until you're dead. the fact is that this thread wasn't started because of some new bad thing he did. it was started because he's putting out a box set for his fans, of which he must still have a lot if he doubled his goal. so shit, can't we just let him and his fans be happy? what does it take for the internet to stop shitting on someone? that's actually a question i've been interested in for a long time.

The general public doesn't view "celebrities" as real people with nuanced strengths and flaws, but as objects for their own amusement or characters in their own drama-fiending narratives, whether they deserve any of that kind of treatment or not. It's something you start to notice a lot once you become more personally involved with highly visible figures in any kind of sub-culture. Related: Dave Chappelle had a good bit in his stand-up routine years ago about how he understood why famous people went crazy. It's worth a listen.

I don't think you can really fight it.

(I'm just here to laugh at the photoshops.)

he was talking about himself and how he learned to joke about it eventually. here's the post:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20080602

Tim Buckley said:
A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life.

The fact that he then launches into a paragraph about his "toxic relationship", or the fact that he almost never seems to consider how she feels outside of "she should have gotten over it lol" should make it clear what he's talking about.

The reason people make fun of his comic is because 1) It's terrible, and 2) Removing panels and shit is more fun than discussing the time that Buckley stole from charity.

the fact is that this thread wasn't started because of some new bad thing he did. it was started because he's putting out a box set for his fans, of which he must still have a lot if he doubled his goal. so shit, can't we just let him and his fans be happy? what does it take for the internet to stop shitting on someone? that's actually a question i've been interested in for a long time.

Bolded #1.

He doesn't apologize, at least not publicly or in any sort of frequency, especially for the most horrible things he has done. He aggressively tries to hide/deny them, and responds to inquiries regarding them with anger, insults, or ignoring it. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't apologized for stealing from charity, or for what he did to the WoW Guild (he said on his site he was disappointed in their progress). This caused a wave of evidence of him being rude and mistreating his fans on WoW. He manipulated his fanbase to help him progress in that game and responded to their desires to interact with him with aggression.

Bolded #2.

If people that dislike Buckley or CAD go out of their way to be mean to Buckley or his fans, then that is a problem. Generally though, we're just sitting here laughing at the meme culture around his comic or sharing stories about terrible things he's done, so I don't see how we're necessarily bothering them either. They like him, they can ignore the opinions of those that don't. I don't like him, so I don't interact with him, but I can still communally laugh at what I find funny about him.

Do people deserve to be reminded forever about the bad things they've done? No, and Buckley probably doesn't either, but his general behavior hasn't changed and he doesn't apologize, so the hate-train continues.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The fact that he then launches into a paragraph about his "toxic relationship", or the fact that he almost never seems to consider how she feels outside of "she should have gotten over it lol" should make it clear what he's talking about.

The reason people make fun of his comic is because 1) It's terrible, and 2) Removing panels and shit is more fun than discussing the time that Buckley stole from charity.

break it up into two parts and think about the sequence:

1. A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man.

2.However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life

"However, I also" implies that the second part of his statement works in contextualizing the first part. He doesn't say anything about his wife being a sad sack of tears for the rest of her life. he's saying that despite his personal experience with miscarriage, at some point he got over it.

more specifically, notice how he using the first person in part 1, and writing something in service to part 1 with part 2.

break it up into two parts and think about the sequence:

1. A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man.

2.However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life

"However, I also" implies that the second part of his statement works in contextualizing the first part. He doesn't say anything about his wife being a sad sack of tears for the rest of her life. he's saying that despite his personal experience with miscarriage, at some point he got over it.

You're missing

3. I broke up with my girlfriend after she had a miscarriage.

This doesn't really require much reading between the lines.

- - -

I don't really know why you're so upset over people making fun of a terrible comic strip and its scumbag author. Hell, the biggest reason Buckley's able to make a living off of it is because threads like this give him pageviews. If you don't like this thread, feel free to go make a positive one.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
You're missing

3. I broke up with my girlfriend after she had a miscarriage.

This doesn't really require much reading between the lines.

People can move past it, and heal.

This falls in with what I was just saying above. Yes, a miscarriage is a very sad occurance. But nothing dictates that I now need to follow Ethan and Lilah through every second of their sad emotions, putting us right in the middle of it where, yes, it would be a bit depressing. There are a number of supporting characters in the strip through which I can tell the story, or I could break away completely with some one-shots and come back to join the characters post-ground-zero, when the pain isn't so fresh, to show how they handle it.

Now I'm sure some of you are wondering what my motivations were for this particular story path.

As I've said in the past, the grand plan for the comic and its characters has been written for years. I knew that (and how) Ethan was going to propose to Lilah when I introduced her into the comic. I knew when he proposed that shortly before the wedding Lilah was going to get pregnant and then miscarry, and I had to wait two years to write it. I know what happens next, and I know how they handle it. I know what happens even further down the line. I know what Scott is doing in his room. I know who moves out and when. I know who dies and who doesn't die. And I know that, through all of it, Ethan is still Ethan, Lilah is still Lilah, and Lucas is still Lucas, and they are all still gamers.

And more importantly, I know that I have a storyline that can keep the comic going for a long, long time, and most importantly, keep me anxious to write the next part for you. Because for me, there needs to be more there than just playing games. The characters and their lives need to be interesting enough that I want to keep writing about them while they play the games.

So in part, this just serves to set up the next part of the story. On a base level, it's just a good twist. Conflict makes for interesting story.

On a deeper level, I really have a desire to stress test Ethan and Lilah's relationship, to see if there is really something there that would keep them together despite Ethan's antics, and I decided that this was the best way to go about it. I know from personal experience what it can do to a relationship. Some many years ago, long before I started the comic, I was in a relationship and we suffered a miscarriage. Now, this relationship was toxic to begin with and doomed to fail regardless, so that the miscarriage was the straw that broke the camel's back came as no surprise. It was a pregnancy neither of us wanted in the first place, so the event didn't effect me nearly as much as it would, say, a couple who was trying for a child. Still, I saw the emotions it can bring up first hand, and I saw how it could truly hurt someone. It's a tough thing to handle because it's nobody's fault. There's nobody you can blame.

It can cause a rift in a relationship without someone having to be the "bad guy", as in infidelity or lying. And I wanted to see if and how Ethan and Lilah's relationship could weather it.

And also... I wanted to see if I could write it. If I could pull it off. Call it creative curiosity, I guess.

So, that's all I really have to say on the subject. Read on, or don't, that's your call.

People can move past it, and heal.

No, this is the point. He and his girlfriend didn't "move past it and heal", she fell into a depression, and Buckley couldn't sympathize because he "didn't want the child in the first place". So, rather than put up with a "depressed sack of tears", he broke up with her. He claims that she didn't want the child either, it's clear that she wasn't as apathetic to the whole thing as he was.

That's the point behind the Loss strip. CAD is an idealized version of his real life, where everybody else exists solely to frame his wacky hijinks. Lilah gets over the miscarriage within a day because she doesn't care about anything more than how Buckley's Mary Sure feel, that's how he wants women to act.

- - -

I don't know why you went and posted the entire blog post there.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I don't really know why you're so upset over people making fun of a terrible comic strip and its scumbag author.

i'm offering perspective. my first post in this thread was to just to point out some humorous irony. beyond that, yeah, relentless mob hate is a pet peeve of mine.

i could imagine that tim buckley reads gaf, and similarly, the vg cats author (what terrible things in life has he done that garners his gaf hate btw?). after all, what better way is there to keep a pulse on recent gaming discussion and possible topics for the next comic? so i think there's a good chance that they see this stuff.

but fair enough. hate away sir, hate away.

Don't feel old. Now, if Raine Dog ever gets reimagined, THEN I'll feel old.
-snip-
But unlike Dana Simpson, I don't think Mr. Buckley, with all due respect. ever took the time to reassess the good his work had to make it great, and take criticism to improve as an artist.
-snip-
Dana's the anti-Buckley; she took a step back, found herself, didn't let life drama poison her talents, and came back confident enough to win a contest, impress Scott Adams himself, and come up with the most wonderful kid-friendly newspaper strip in years.

Tim could learn a lot from her.

So...
Is she a furry or something? Or what? What is the context?

L Thammy

but to his partial defence, i would totally be kind of a dick if i was constantly aware of 1000s of people being a dick to me. im also a big phil fish fan, who woulda thunk?

If people regularly made fun of work, even going to my website and viewing my ads to do it, I'd definitely start sending nude photos to minors, stealing from charities, and generally trying to satisfy my god complex.

Anyhow:

Yeah, some of the reason why Ethan is so unsympathetic is because he's so often a mouthpiece for Buckley. Like when does a comic to complains that Pokemon is shit and we should all be playing Dragon Age II. Followed immediately by a post about how he hasn't actually played a Pokemon game which is now taken down. Or the comic about how God hates fanboys (which only applies to Sony and Nintendo fans).

i'm offering perspective. my first post in this thread was to just to point out some humorous irony. beyond that, yeah, relentless mob hate is a pet peeve of mine.

i could imagine that tim buckley reads gaf, and similarly, the vg cats author (what terrible things in life has he done that garners his gaf hate btw?). after all, what better way is there to keep a pulse on recent gaming discussion and possible topics for the next comic? so i think there's a good chance that they see this stuff.

but fair enough. hate away sir, hate away.

CAD is not the hill you wanna die on; I don't know you and I know that for a fact.

L Thammy

Bolded #1.

He doesn't apologize, at least not publicly or in any sort of frequency, especially for the most horrible things he has done. He aggressively tries to hide/deny them, and responds to inquiries regarding them with anger, insults, or ignoring it.

He's actually rather infamous for banning people, deleting threads, and in some cases even deleting entire subforums in his official boards if anyone mentions something he doesn't like.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a minute, guys...the thread title...

I'm at

a loss

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mat-triX

Based on what i'm heaing about the banning and reaction to criticism, it makes me remember how Spoony reacted when he had his break down.

I remember the great forum purge after Jackie.

That was stuff of legend. Banned everybody who posted in that thread, banned everybody who mentioned that thread, and then shut down the entire website for a week so he could find and ban everybody who mentioned it on other forums.

SoulUnison

Banned
Was the "robot strangles his girlfriend" plot his incredibly narrow-minded attempt to write her out of the comic after they split up, or was it just an incredibly misguided, miscalculated attempt at giving the comic some drama? I actually can't decide which would be worse.

"I didn't want the baby anyway and this relationship is toxic so here's you being murdered."
OR
"Things were getting a little stale so I decided that the right amount of fun would be you being killed on camera - love ya, babe!"

Welfare

Was the "robot strangles his girlfriend" plot his incredibly narrow-minded attempt to write her out of the comic after they split up, or was it just an incredibly misguided, miscalculated attempt at giving the comic some drama? I actually can't decide which would be worse.

"I didn't want the baby anyway and this relationship is toxic so here's you being murdered."
OR
"Things were getting a little stale so I decided that the right amount of fun would be you being killed on camera - love ya, babe!"

Nah it was a "future event" that happens but then doesn't happen because Ethan does something where the past is unaffected except for the fact Ethan is gone and the future event doesn't happen because wormholes and time.

It was drama in an event that happened that never happened.

OR

Welfare beat me to it. It's some alternate timeline where the robot sidekick takes over the universe, and just to show how super-evil he is he murders the love interest. It lets Buckley be dramatic without having to really kill off his waifu.

Top Bottom