• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Im becoming concerned at the lack of communication from Sony

turtlepowa

Banned
I think we'll hear something next week about price. They were waiting for MS to go first, and now they have, so there's no real reason to wait any more.
I think they are gonna wait for the Xbox preorders. Micorosft could lower the price if Sony announces 349 and 449 tomorrow, but it gets complicated if preorders already started.

Last edited:
They publicly report their financial data at the end of every fiscal year or quarter. You can see there Sony makes more money because their gaming division sells more consoles, games for their consoles and services for their consoles than MS gaming+extras division.

Regarding next gen, looking at social media numbers the PS5 logo announcement, PS5 gamepad announcement and console+first games reveal achieved historical records in the gaming industry, while Xbox has way lower numbers.

Xbox is way behind Sony.

So you don't actually have any facts to back up your statement that Sony net profit alone is more than Xbox gross revenue? Yeah I call bullshit on that one mate and I'm not delving into the figures and time to fact check just to disprove a likely stupid statement.

Sony outsold Xbox approx. 2 to 1 last gen. I believe the games sold per player and services are higher attach rates at Xbox as is the profitability too. Sony absolutely took last gen on install base and have a solid fanbase/turnover heading into next gen, they're in the lead but far from profit alone equating to all of Xbox turnover. Heading into next gen Xbox has plenty of mindshare balancing e.g. new first party studios, crossplay, hardware quality, BC, GP, lower entry price/console, spread across PC/console, xCloud and are selling to Sony through their MS foodchain with Azure, vice versa for Sony with their imaging sensors.

Onus is on you to prove your pretty wild statement.

J____Av

Seems like more people are talking about S and X pricing and release date than PlayStation's 25 year anniversary. When I look at the gaming news sites today I see a lot of Xbox and less PS5. The S leak was not an accident and people are talking about it. That's the point of the comment you replied to.

Yeah no shit they are going to get a bit of talk when they put out prices and PS hasn't done a big announcement lately. Is PS supposed to just drop non stop news so they always have the headlines? But its been pretty underwhelming considering some hopeful Xbox fans are talking about it being a game changer and something that allows them to compete with PS. Hell the Series S threads here have like 100 replies in them lol. PS could announce tomorrow they are using new game cases and it would get more talk than the Series S has gotten. They put out the freaking prices for fucks sake, and this is the most talk they can get?

yurinka

So you don't actually have any facts to back up your statement that Sony net profit alone is more than Xbox gross revenue? Yeah I call bullshit on that one mate and I'm not delving into the figures and time to fact check just to disprove a likely stupid statement.

Sony outsold Xbox approx. 2 to 1 last gen. I believe the games sold per player and services are higher attach rates at Xbox as is the profitability too. Sony absolutely took last gen on install base and have a solid fanbase/turnover heading into next gen, they're in the lead but far from profit alone equating to all of Xbox turnover. Heading into next gen Xbox has plenty of mindshare balancing e.g. new first party studios, crossplay, hardware quality, BC, GP, lower entry price/console, spread across PC/console, xCloud and are selling to Sony through their MS foodchain with Azure, vice versa for Sony with their imaging sensors.

Onus is on you to prove your pretty wild statement.
I told you where the facts are: in the financial reports Sony and MS show publicly to their investors and where they can't lie. There are related Neogaf threads about them every quarter that I won't search for you, go and use the search. You can see there the revenue and profit of their gaming divisions, and even splitting them per segments. You can even see there that Sony game services have way more users and generate more money than the MS ones and that even in 2020, almost 7 years after release, PS4 broke several gaming history records, sometimes getting best home console ever in some areas, and in other one being the top 2 of all times, only after PS2.

One of these numbers is the amount of games sold for PS4, another one is from the game services userbase and revenue. These are facts you can double check if you make a simple neogaf search that I won't do for you because I'm not the Flat Earther here. You are the one stating things that goes against the facts, so if someone has to back something with facts is you. You can believe whatever you want about Xbox mindshare or rates because it's bullshit not based on any fact or numbers, beacause MS doesn't provide their console sales data and mindshare is an excuse word for when you don't have any factual source to back your opinion.

According to the facts seen in the official data from these companies published every quarter, Sony is a very distant number 1 in several areas like console sales (MS doesn't reveal their numbers but we now its around 2x), games sold for their console, game subscription services revenue and userbase. Plus also VR and game streaming because they are the only ones doing it. So basically every single gaming market they are in. There's the games published by them (1st and 2nd party), which in several cases also saw this gen the best selling and/or best rated their studios, series or even genres.

Yeah no shit they are going to get a bit of talk when they put out prices and PS hasn't done a big announcement lately. Is PS supposed to just drop non stop news so they always have the headlines?
Well, being Sony said that their PS5 reveal video was going to be the start of a series of videos that they were going to release this year. Until now they released a few more videos, but focused on PS4 or PSVR. I assume it's time for them to release a PS5 video mid or late September to reveal price and date, plus clarify what is going to be the release day game line-up and if possible the final date for the main November and December PS5 games.

Then maybe in October talk on detail about the console experience/vision/cool OS features like improved Remote Play thanks to wifi6. Bluetooth 5.1 and enhaced decompressor chip, next gen PS Now plans, BC, all the loading times for all PS5 games being shorter than 2 seconds, being able to load direct a specific stage or game mode from the OS menu skipping all menus and so on, etc.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Sony really doesn't need to say much with Microsoft kicking itself in the balls with every announcement.

I'm more shocked Sony hasn't pushed back their launch date with Microsoft having shown their hand which is basically the new AC game. Microsoft failed in every aspect due to Halo, no reason to try to compete with a loser, delay and have a slam dunk launch date that actually sells consoles.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Sony really doesn't need to say much with Microsoft kicking itself in the balls with every announcement.

I'm more shocked Sony hasn't pushed back their launch date with Microsoft having shown their hand which is basically the new AC game. Microsoft failed in every aspect due to Halo, no reason to try to compete with a loser, delay and have a slam dunk launch date that actually sells consoles.

1324359129980.gif

Grinchy

Banned
They need some way to spin a weaker console that costs more. Expect to hear the word "value" a lot and lots of Spiderman and Ratchet and Clank. And how cool their controller is.
lmao yeah, imagine how bad Sony's launch would have to be if they had to plaster the word 'value" everywhere and get their fans to parrot it all day on social media because there were so few legitimately exciting aspects to talk about instead

rDBDxH0m.png

I told you where the facts are: in the financial reports Sony and MS show publicly to their investors and where they can't lie. There are related Neogaf threads about them every quarter that I won't search for you, go and use the search. You can see there the revenue and profit of their gaming divisions, and even splitting them per segments. You can even see there that Sony game services have way more users and generate more money than the MS ones and that even in 2020, almost 7 years after release, PS4 broke several gaming history records, sometimes getting best home console ever in some areas, and in other one being the top 2 of all times, only after PS2.

One of these numbers is the amount of games sold for PS4, another one is from the game services userbase and revenue. These are facts you can double check if you make a simple neogaf search that I won't do for you because I'm not the Flat Earther here. You are the one stating things that goes against the facts, so if someone has to back something with facts is you. You can believe whatever you want about Xbox mindshare or rates because it's bullshit not based on any fact or numbers, beacause MS doesn't provide their console sales data and mindshare is an excuse word for when you don't have any factual source to back your opinion.

According to the facts seen in the official data from these companies published every quarter, Sony is a very distant number 1 in several areas like console sales (MS doesn't reveal their numbers but we now its around 2x), games sold for their console, game subscription services revenue and userbase. Plus also VR and game streaming because they are the only ones doing it. So basically every single gaming market they are in. There's the games published by them (1st and 2nd party), which in several cases also saw this gen the best selling and/or best rated their studios, series or even genres.

So zero facts or sources once again. Post up or shut up. Here's fiscal facts to debunk your idiotic statement.

Sony = $17.7 Billion in sales with $1.6 Billion in profit
Nintendo = $9.7 Billion in sales
Xbox = $11.5 Billion

72703_34_2019s-top-earning-video-game-companies-sony-conquers-the-charts_full.png

Factually you are 100% incorrect. Sony's profit was NOT larger than Xbox's revenue. You're off by a factor of approx. 7 times. Good luck with your stupid statement.

Once again Sony out sold Xbox approx 2 to 1 last gen but to suggest their profit was the entire turnover of Xbox is fucking braindead mate and GAF posts deserve more basis in reality in future.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Nah, they were waiting for MS to make the first move, they’re carefully considering their response.
Seems like concern trolling.
What’s up with everyone banging on about “concern trolling” this last week or so? Every second post...

TimFL

I‘m also sick with Apple for only showing off new phones and watches a week before their launch. Are they out of their mind, a week???!

Please look up PlayStation Q1-Q2 2020 reports, they did insane numbers completely eclipsing Xbox.

Why look at one quarter over the life of the generation? We have reports for all last gen fiscal years. I did 2018 and 2019, clearly their statement about profit vs revenue is a joke. I'm done researching anything. You want to make a statement, do the leg work and post the numbers/sources to back your claim.

3liteDragon

We are now literally two months from launch and we have had absolutely nothing from sony about PS5 since the July event.

We are yet to get any deep dives of the OS, the new share features, the hardware itself (ports anyone?) the external memory card solution, PSNow and information pertaining to next gen VR.
Let alone pricing and pre ordering dates.

Personally im all im for the digital edition but with xbox stealing all the headlines just now, im worried about what they are doing over there. Im really hoping for demons souls at launch but do you guys think sony will be forced to try and match the xss pricing for the digital edition?
"concerned"

source.gif

MastaKiiLA

Imagine if the internet didn't exist, and you had to wait a month for some potato cam images in a shitty magazine at the nearest magazine stand, which was probably miles away? Oof. I wonder what people would do then. Oh wait! That's exactly what we did before the mid-90s. Seems everything worked just fine back then. Not sure why there needs to be a flood of information about something you can't even preorder yet. We only need the information the day we can put money down. Anything before that is just a nice bonus.

I'm in the position where even after anything is announced, I probably still won't know where I can buy the damn thing, because I'm in a country that's pretty low on the global gaming scale. The internet isn't likely to provide me with much clarity there.

No. In fact, I'm willing to bet that they (Sony) expected the XSS to come in at $300 or less, so whatever the PS5 DE's price ends up being, it was decided that way months (if not years) ago.

The bigger question is what happens when the more powerful and (assumed) more expensive PS5 outsells the less powerful and much cheaper Xbox? Because if the XSS doesn't crush it in sales, developers will have zero incentive to spend more time, energy, and money to downgrade their games for 1 underperforming platform.

rCQhaST.png

The fact that Microsoft and/or Sony do something and then your mind immediately moves to how Sony and/or Microsoft will respond, or why they haven't responded, is ample proof enough that its all working.

Microsoft actually wants that to happen and their fans to a certain degree. MS wants to piggyback on the popularity and social media presence of Playstation. People at microsoft always have a say whenever Sony make a move or they make a move themselves whenever they feel like Sony is about to do something in order to ride on the social traffic.

But Sony is not having any of it. It's free marketing just by being a competition.

yurinka

So zero facts or sources once again. Post up or shut up. Here's fiscal facts to debunk your idiotic statement.

Sony = $17.7 Billion in sales with $1.6 Billion in profit
Nintendo = $9.7 Billion in sales
Xbox = $11.5 Billion

72703_34_2019s-top-earning-video-game-companies-sony-conquers-the-charts_full.png

Factually you are 100% incorrect. Sony's profit was NOT larger than Xbox's revenue. You're off by a factor of approx. 7 times. Good luck with your stupid statement.

Once again Sony out sold Xbox approx 2 to 1 last gen but to suggest their profit was the entire turnover of Xbox is fucking braindead mate and GAF posts deserve more basis in reality in future.

So now you're insulting and lying instead of showing facts to back your claims.

The Sony FY2018 number is $20.84B, not $17.7. This means it's the biggest FY revenue in history for a console platform holder. And 20 is higher than 11 so yes, Sony's gaming division generates way more revenue than MS division. As source you can see the Sony FY2019 results report (so until March 31st, 2020) I mentioned before:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony...on-41-5m-ps-members-66-digital-ratio.1541094/

It's a ripped off, simplified version of the equivalent Resetera thread, that includes way more detailed data where you can see it in a cool graph:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ion-41-5m-ps-members-66-digital-ratio.203892/

fe8CUkR.png

Some additional highlights from that Sony FY2019 (which ended March 31st, 2020) report:
  • 2nd biggest Revenue for any platform holder in video game history (note: 1st is Sony FY2018)
  • Gaming Revenue : ¥1977.6bn / $18.14B (-14.4% YoY from ¥2310.9bn / $20.84B - FY2018)
  • Gaming Operating Profit : ¥238.4bn / $2.19B(-% YoY from ¥311.1bn / $2.81B - FY2018)
    • 2nd best Revenue ever for PlayStation and for any platform holder in video game history (note: 1st is Sony FY2018)
    • 2nd best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation (note: 1st is Sony FY2018)
  • PS4 is the only console to have 4 years with more than 200m games sold
  • 4th highest yearly software sales in video game history
  • PS4 Software LTD passed 1.2B games sold (note: the only console that sold more is PS2 with 1.537B, PS4 is on track to beat it)
  • Console sales (note: PS4 already outsold total Wii and PS1 sales and launch aligned sold more consoles than the best selling home console ever (PS2) at this point of its life cycle)

OqfP2vv.png

If we go to check more recent numbers (Sony Q1 FY2020, so from April 1st to June 30th 2020) we get some extra data:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/112-...i-and-ghost-of-tsushima-selling-well.1559595/
  • 18.5 Million units of Playstation First-Party Software sold in Q1 or 20.3 % of total PS4 software unit sales.
  • Q1 Revenue/profit: 5.6 Billion/1.16 Billion USD. (68% YoY growth in profit). (Note: 68% incease over previous year, which was the 2nd best year in gaming history)
  • 45 Million PS Plus Subscribers + 2.2M PS Now subs as of End of April 2020 ( vs unknown Gold subs + 10M Gamepass subs -even if many of them only paid $1- as of April)
  • 113 Million PSN Monthly Active users (note: vs 'nearly 90M XBL MAU' back in April)

And right now I don't find it, but they also provided combined revenues from their game services/subs (so combined number for PS+/Now/XBL/Gamepass in certain way). As I remember MS provided from all their gaming services combined and Sony with some more detail, and it was easier to see there that Sony was generating game revenue from these subs.

Since you had some troubles with Sony FY2018, here's the related report highlighting to some Sony gaming divison / PS4 revenue and profits data and new records from that fiscal year:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...8m-gaming-profits-75-yoy-best-fy-ever.113695/
  • Best FY ever for the Gaming Division in terms of Revenue and Operating Profit (breaking the records they set in FY2017)
  • PlayStation's biggest Operating Profit ($2.81B) in Sony's history (34,8% of Sony total Operating Profit during the FY2018)
  • In FY2018, the Gaming Division broke for the 1st time the $20B+ Sales/Revenue barrier and the $2B+ Operating Profit barrier
  • Gaming Revenue of FY2018 doubled FY2013 with nearly $21B (vs $10.42B in FY2013)
  • Gaming Operating Profit went from $188 millions loss in 2013 to $2.81B profit in 2018
  • Gaming Profit of just Q1+Q2 FY2018 combined ($1.58B)
  • Total PS4 profits ($3.84B) [without FY2018] exceed total PS1 profits ($3.03B), the entire PS2 profits ($2.22B) or offset the total PS3 loss ($-3.54B) !
  • The PS4 profits of FY2018 alone ($2.81B) exceed the entire PS2 profits during its 6 years ($2.22B)

Last edited:
So now you're insulting and lying instead of showing facts to back your claims.

The Sony FY2018 number is $20.84B, not $17.7. This means it's the biggest FY revenue in history for a console platform holder. And 20 is higher than 11 so yes, Sony's gaming division generates way more revenue than MS division. As source you can see the Sony FY2019 results report (so until March 31st, 2020) I mentioned before:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony...on-41-5m-ps-members-66-digital-ratio.1541094/

It's a ripped off, simplified version of the equivalent Resetera thread, that includes way more detailed data where you can see it in a cool graph:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ion-41-5m-ps-members-66-digital-ratio.203892/

fe8CUkR.png

Some additional highlights from that Sony FY2019 (which ended March 31st, 2020) report:
  • 2nd biggest Revenue for any platform holder in video game history (note: 1st is Sony FY2018)
  • Gaming Revenue : ¥1977.6bn / $18.14B (-14.4% YoY from ¥2310.9bn / $20.84B - FY2018)
  • Gaming Operating Profit : ¥238.4bn / $2.19B(-% YoY from ¥311.1bn / $2.81B - FY2018)
    • 2nd best Revenue ever for PlayStation and for any platform holder in video game history (note: 1st is Sony FY2018)
    • 2nd best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation (note: 1st is Sony FY2018)
  • PS4 is the only console to have 4 years with more than 200m games sold
  • 4th highest yearly software sales in video game history
  • PS4 Software LTD passed 1.2B games sold (note: the only console that sold more is PS2 with 1.537B, PS4 is on track to beat it)
  • Console sales (note: PS4 already outsold total Wii and PS1 sales and launch aligned sold more consoles than the best selling home console ever (PS2) at this point of its life cycle)

OqfP2vv.png

If we go to check more recent numbers (Sony Q1 FY2020, so from April 1st to June 30th 2020) we get some extra data:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/112-...i-and-ghost-of-tsushima-selling-well.1559595/
  • 18.5 Million units of Playstation First-Party Software sold in Q1 or 20.3 % of total PS4 software unit sales.
  • Q1 Revenue/profit: 5.6 Billion/1.16 Billion USD. (68% YoY growth in profit). (Note: 68% incease over previous year, which was the 2nd best year in gaming history)
  • 45 Million PS Plus Subscribers + 2.2M PS Now subs as of End of April 2020 ( vs unknown Gold subs + 10M Gamepass subs -even if many of htem paying $1- as of April)
  • 113 Million PSN Monthly Active users (note: vs 'nearly 90M XBL MAU' back in April)

And right now I don't find it, but they also provided combined revenues from their game services/subs (so combined number for PS+/Now/XBL/Gamepass in certain way). As I remember MS provided from all their gaming services combined and Sony with some more detail, and it was easier to see there that Sony was generating game revenue from these subs.

Since you had some troubles with Sony FY2018, here's the related report highlighting to some Sony gaming divison / PS4 revenue and profits data and new records from that fiscal year:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...8m-gaming-profits-75-yoy-best-fy-ever.113695/
  • Best FY ever for the Gaming Division in terms of Revenue and Operating Profit (breaking the records they set in FY2017)
  • PlayStation's biggest Operating Profit ($2.81B) in Sony's history (34,8% of Sony total Operating Profit during the FY2018)
  • In FY2018, the Gaming Division broke for the 1st time the $20B+ Sales/Revenue barrier and the $2B+ Operating Profit barrier
  • Gaming Revenue of FY2018 doubled FY2013 with nearly $21B (vs $10.42B in FY2013)
  • Gaming Operating Profit went from $188 millions loss in 2013 to $2.81B profit in 2018
  • Gaming Profit of just Q1+Q2 FY2018 combined ($1.58B)
  • Total PS4 profits ($3.84B) [without FY2018] exceed total PS1 profits ($3.03B), the entire PS2 profits ($2.22B) or offset the total PS3 loss ($-3.54B) !
  • The PS4 profits of FY2018 alone ($2.81B) exceed the entire PS2 profits during its 6 years ($2.22B)

And all of that is irrelevant to the statement made. The statement was Sony's profit exceeds Xbox's revenue.

That statement is false by the widest margin in any financial you posted.

Last edited:

yurinka

And all of that is irrelevant to the statement made. The statement was Sony's profit exceeds Xbox's revenue.

That statement is false by the widest margin in any financial you posted.
I never said Sony's profit exceeds Xbox revenue because isn't true, someone else is who said it. You asked for receipts (I assume you meant factual numbers to back it or at least compare it) and I said you can check it on their fiscal year reports.

What I said was that Sony gaming division makes more revenue, profit, because their record consoles, game and service sales etc. that are all higher than the MS gaming division, specially because some of these numbers are game industry historical records so MS numbers can't be higher. You posted some fake Sony revenue and profit numbers with no source, and I posted the real ones providing the real sources and providing facts of my claims.

But well, I always talked about their 'gaming divisions' because it's the closest thing we can compare (MS division includes other things). If you or him talk about the entire Sony Corporation operating profit, as you can see in the links I provided from the Sony reports it's $7.36B in FY2018 (ending March 2019) and $7.76B in FY2019 (ending March 2020), and net profit of $4.55B in FY2018 and $5.34B in FY2019, but I don't think it makes sense to compare it to Xbox revenue (or the related MS division where it's included, which is the closest thing we have to compare). I assume both of you were comparing their 'gaming divisions' for both companies.

I also should clarify that I think it's dumb to compare profits vs revenues. The fair comparision is revenue vs revenue and profit vs profit. Because inside the profits there are costs too, not only revenue.

Last edited:

Stare-Bear

Banned
Sony has been showing a lot of games/gameplay running on actual PS5's and Microsoft has been showing a lot of hardware. It's a repeat of the Xbox One X, where it didn't have many new titles to go with it to show off it's power over the base xbox one.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
They need some way to spin a weaker console that costs more. Expect to hear the word "value" a lot and lots of Spiderman and Ratchet and Clank. And how cool their controller is.

Glad to see you out of being in denial over the PS5's existence. Now all you need to do is address your other problems.

Good luck!

Sony has never been as verbose as MS.

MS is that kid in constant need of attention, they won't stop talking, they will be pricks if they have to in order to get your attention.

So silence from Microsoft equals desperation, silence from Sony is big brain strategy. Got it. 🙄
In normal times MS issues a press release every time Phil goes to the bathroom.

This is not how Sony has worked in the past... They just do their thing and come out when they feel ready (obviously there could be scrambling now, the consoles are going to be released pretty soon).

MiguelItUp

No reason to be concerned, IMO. But I can definitely understand it being annoying or frustrating. I mean, we're in September and it's dropping in two months?

I'm sure we'll receive more details any day now...

royox

We are now literally two months from launch and we have had absolutely nothing from sony about PS5 since the July event.

We are yet to get any deep dives of the OS, the new share features, the hardware itself (ports anyone?) the external memory card solution, PSNow and information pertaining to next gen VR.

Personally im all im for the digital edition but with xbox stealing all the headlines just now, im worried about what they are doing over there. Im really hoping for demons souls at launch but do you guys think sony will be forced to try and match the xss pricing for the digital edition?

Well last gen they only had to do nothing and see how MS were shooting themselves at both legs, maybe they think on repeating the same strat :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GeorgPrime

Banned

You can already join the lottery to become one of the first PS 5 pre orderer. No Price but Pre-Order is hilarious

Top Bottom