• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Imitations" of great games that you preferred to the originator?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Devil May Cry > Shinobi

God of War > Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden > Shinobi

Ninja Gaiden > Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry 3 > God of War/ Ninja Gaiden

Okami > Zelda WW

Uncharted > Gears of War

Super Stardust HD > Geometry Wars

Sonic the Hedgehog > Super Mario Bros

Resistance > Halo

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Devil May Cry > Shinobi
This is a joke right?

I assume you're talking about the PS2 version of Shinobi so let me figure this out:
-Shinobi aside from being a 3D action game has little to nothing in common with DMC.
-Shinobi came out over a year after the release of DMC.
-Shinobi was modeled after past games in the Shinobi series rather than attempting to build off of DMC's success(though comparisons between the two are natural due to similar concept).

Help a brother out here. Lord knows we have enough joke/nonsense responses in this thread.

Parasite Eve 2 v. Resident Evil

More of a likely favorite among favorites rather than a simple full-fledged preference, but there it is.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Powerslave said:
And with Tomb Raider you mean from Tomb Raider Legend onwards because Uncharted didn't resemble the first 3 or 4 games at all.

It didn't resemble the later games either.

Barakov

DQ >>>> Early Ultimas

Dead Space > RE4/RE5

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FARCRY 2.

KevinCow said:
I do think such a thing. I think the DKC games, or at least 2 and 3, have far more interesting and memorable levels than the Mario games.

Not a chance, as far as pure platforming goes, which is what matters, since they're in the platforming genre.

Besides, DKC is so run-of-the-mill by comparison to Mario.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Barakov said:
DQ >>>> Early Ultimas

Dead Space > RE4/RE5

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FARCRY 2.

Pretty sure STALKER isn't an imitator of Far Cry 2. You know, what with it being released two years earlier and all.

MisterHero

Flying_Phoenix said:
Why stop there.

IMO RARE Platformers (SNES to N64) > Nintendo Platformers (SNES to N64)

Yeah I went there.
SMW, SMAll-Stars, and Yoshi's Island make that unpossible

BK was fucking awesome (and BT to a lesser extent) but DK64 was a little tedious

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Reading through this thread, it's obvious I vastly prefer the originators. *shrug*

alistairw

MisterHero said:
SMW, SMAll-Stars, and Yoshi's Island make that unpossible

BK was fucking awesome (and BT to a lesser extent) but DK64 was a little tedious

A little?

KevinCow

Banned
cartman414 said:
Not a chance, as far as pure platforming goes, which is what matters, since they're in the platforming genre.

Besides, DKC is so run-of-the-mill by comparison to Mario.

I disagree. I know that nothing I say will change your mind, though, so there's really no point in me going into more detail than that.

alistairw

MisterHero said:
it wasn't a perfect game but it wasn't that bad either

Dude, slamming your nuts in a car door for three hours is "a little tedious". Collecting 50 trillion bananas is just fucking masochistic.

MisterHero

alistairw said:
Dude, slamming your nuts in a car door for three hours is "a little tedious". Collecting 50 trillion bananas is just fucking masochistic.
there was 500 per level, so there. BK was definitely better though. :lol

as for my own contribution to this thread

EarthBound > Dragon Warrior

alistairw

MisterHero said:
there was 500 per level, so there. BK was definitely better though. :lol

Yeah, I know exactly how many there were. Game was a big part of the reason I failed second year uni.

revolverjgw said:
SCATHING

Splinter Cell just barely feels like a game in the same genre as Metal Gear, anyway. It was Thief that begat Splinter Cell.

Finally someone speaks sanely. I enjoy the Metal Gear games perfectly fine, but there are times when I don't necessarily want the "gamey" experience of having an enemy with an exclamation point over their had wander in a path that I have to time my crossing of, and be given a count down for how long until their memory goes blank. Thief was such an amazing game in this respect years ago, and currently the only game that really relives those "realistic" stealth mechanics for me is Splinter Cell.

KevinCow said:
I disagree. I know that nothing I say will change your mind, though, so there's really no point in me going into more detail than that.
I haven't played DKC 2 or 3, but I assure you that you are factually wrong about the first game. The rendered graphics may leap to memory faster than the stylized cartoons of Mario, but there is just as much (if not more) variety in the environments. When it comes to diversity of gameplay, though, SMW and Yoshi's Island have DKC beat by a ridiculous extent.

Again, feel free to make any claims you wish about the later games in the series. But the first DKC is not in a league with the SNES Mario platformers.

KevinCow

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
I haven't played DKC 2 or 3, but I assure you that you are factually wrong about the first game. The rendered graphics may leap to memory faster than the stylized cartoons of Mario, but there is just as much (if not more) variety in the environments. When it comes to diversity of gameplay, though, SMW and Yoshi's Island have DKC beat by a ridiculous extent.

Again, feel free to make any claims you wish about the later games in the series. But the first DKC is not in a league with the SNES Mario platformers.

Well, I guess when I refer to the DKC games, I really am referring mainly to 2 and 3.

Though 1 isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Warm Machine said:
Banjo Kazooie over Mario 64

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy over Zelda Wind Waker

Dungeon Explorer over Gauntlet

Quest 64 over Final Fantasy 7

jay

Everything is a variation on about four games. Final Fantasy XIII will be nothing but Pong with some jazzed up graphics.

-viper-

Banned
Crash Team Racing > All other kart games
GOW 1/2 > Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden

Of course, this is my opinion, but I've had most fun with these games. You also don't get many better games than Spyro 1/2/3 and Crash Bandicoot 1/2/3 (before the I.Ps were sold)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Andrex said:
Quest 64 over Final Fantasy 7
Gonna guess this is a witty retort to the Sphinx preference against Zelda? I don't know if I'd make the same call personally there, but it's pretty close. Sphinx was actually very good.

Playing the game in question > Blindly raising the Ninthing defense perimeter

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Mike Works said:
Banjo Kazooie > Mario 64

bring it, fuckers

This is what I was going to say. I enjoyed Banjo Kazooie(& Tooie) waaaay more than Mario 64.

Wollan

FarCry 2 > Crysis

Crysis is the 'imitator'/spiritual successor to FarCry 1. Both by the same dev. FarCry 2 is the rebirth of the (now)franchise and in some ways it's closer to GTA than FC1/Crysis but I consider it Ubisoft's attempt to imitate(improve upon) the open world fps mantra by Crytek. *phew* I feel that FarCry 2 is the overall more enjoyable and definitely the more fully featured game of the two. FC2 has some more obvious flaws than Crysis but it's a more ambitious, deeper game experience.

Top Bottom