• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Imitations" of great games that you preferred to the originator?

Wait, did Naughty Dog say that Uncharted was an "imitator of" or was inspired by Gears of War? The games bear almost no resemblance. Or is this just Sony fanboys trying to say our new IP(enis) is bigger than your new IP(enis)?

Anyway, I can't think of any games that haven't already been mentioned. Bollocks.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Digimon World=Pokemon

I can't say it's better, but I definitely had as good of memories with DW as I did with Pokemon (Red, Blue, and then Yellow).

Also...

Donkey Kong 64>Super Mario 64

I think someone on the first page made a joke about how people are listing two games that are vaguelyrelated by genre. Several pages later now and it seems like he was spot on.

RC Pro Am > Forza 2

Space Harrier > Resistance 2

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Capndrake said:
Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart 64.
Mike Works said:
Banjo Kazooie > Mario 64

bring it, fuckers
Super Monkey Ball > Marble Madness ^^

And absolutely wow @ people thinking Spyro is better than Mario 64 oO

Sabaku Ika said:
Sengoku Basara >>> Dynasty Warriors

This man speaks the truth! The Wii SB2/SB2H double pack has been my most played console game/s since I got them at release.

<-- *Anxiously awaiting the eventual announcement of SB3.*

Minyobi

Wild West C.O.W.Boys of Moo Mesa > Sunset Riders
(Though I can't say this counts, as they were made by the same company.)

Lucky and Wild > Chase HQ

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
People call WAR and imitation of WoW. I like WAR much better due to the PvP.

MrHicks

Banned
crash team racing> any cart racer

which is sad as its 10 years old or something and still nothing that even comes close exists

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Code:
Master Of Orion  >   Civilization
Puzzle Quest     >   Bejeweled
Killzone 2       >   (Whatever) Of (Whatever)
Trash Panic      >   Tetris

There are probably more, but just a few I remembered right now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
professor_t said:
Wait, did Naughty Dog say that Uncharted was an "imitator of" or was inspired by Gears of War? The games bear almost no resemblance. Or is this just Sony fanboys trying to say our new IP(enis) is bigger than your new IP(enis)?

Anyway, I can't think of any games that haven't already been mentioned. Bollocks.
the shooting mechanics are basically lifted straight from Gears, and the game is 75% shooting

StuBurns

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Uncharted devs said in a post mortem that they were insipired by kill switch.
That's what they all say.

I think some people never even saw Kill.Switch. Yes it had cover, but it doesn't look anything like Gears, Uncharted took everything about their shooting from Gears. I really don't believe they took the cover from a fairly obscure, completely wank game that did nothing at retail, and happened to take the over the shoulder camera from RE4 exactly the same as Gears which was a huge mega hit during development.

It's a Gears clone with some nice exploration bits.

I'm not even sure which I prefer. Gears does the gameplay a lot better I think, but Uncharted has a lot of charm. They're about even to me, maybe leaning a little towards Gears though.

undrtakr900

PSO > Diablo II :D

My friends all played Diablo II but I was on the PSO bandwagon it was my first online RPG lost many of sleepless nights from it on Dreamcast.
Alphahawk said:
Capndrake said:
Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart 64.
I wouldn't call DKR a ripoff of Mario Kart, their both in the same genre but the comparisons really end their.
They are basically the same game except with different characters/weapons.
Except I loved DKR more because it had:
* Planes + Hovercrafts
* Adventure Mode(explore the overworld like Mario 64)
* Boss Battle (Dinos, Octopuses and Pigs oh my!)
* Race different vehicle types against each other
* Upgradable weapons
*etc.

karasu

Dali said:
Uhhh... it was groundbreaking. Its use of the analog stick and successful transitioning of platforming to 3D was something completely new to console gamers. The graphics were also the best of almost any console game at the time. The only thing that was comparable gameplay-wise was Tomb Raider. Of course later games, like the Spyro and Banjo you seem to think are so great, would possibly be incrementally better! They were building on Mario 64's groundwork.

A genre redefining game the "definition of overrated"? smh

I didn't like it all.

LiK

Scalpel Knight said:
I'm playing Ninja Blade right now and I actually prefer it to Ninja Gaiden II. Go figure.

lol, NB actually does some things right like having a useful camera. but i would say NB's combat engine is more like God of War which they copied pretty well.

Slavik81 said:
So true.
Mario Kart 64 was amazing, but Diddy Kong Racing was just that tinyest bit better.

No comparison there. But then, Super Mario Kart was still miles better.

Blaster Master > Metroid

cartman414 said:
No comparison there. But then, Super Mario Kart was still miles better.

Which completely invalidates the comparison since this is meant to be imitator versus originator. There's a few cart racing games I've never played so I can't speak to them but SMK is still the one I have fondest memories of.

Top Bottom