• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

Buggy Loop

Maybe they shouldn’t have said it’s not coming to PC?

I Dont Know No Idea GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Dwindling to irrelevancy and still makes these exclusive deals. Let’s see how it plays out..

Also, the previews kind of turned me off, linear map - arena - linear map - arena - etc

With too many cutscenes, set pieces arranged for cinematics rather than damage output (controlled sponge/dmg to stretch fights). DMC combat, after FFVII remake its not the direction I like.

SSfox

It won't sell as much as FF15

One of the main thing that make FF special and appealing, is a team adventure, and i didn't see a lot of that in FF16 marketing, this one seems like a solo guy adventure.

I'm sure the game will be awesome, but it has some aspects that aren't very final fantasy

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Shame. I myself am skipping a mainline game at launch for the first time ever. Waiting for impressions from people other than journos, the single character action combat focus has me a bit wary. If they can pull it off, could be fun, but Final Fantasy isn't what I look for, when I think of high octane skill based action combat.

I'll probably pick up the eventual PC version that they keep "wink wink nudge nudge"-ing about.

Then I watched the PAX east gameplay video and this part made me laugh.

"You can play one handed"

Wrong genre Square Enix

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I know people on here are excited for it but I haven't been overly keen on what's been shown or the way it looks and the style, it generally looks like it's being made by Square Enix Mumbai in comparison to previous entries.
Maybe the masses thinks the same and aren't as ecstatic as most medieval FF fans are.

Last edited:

Griffon

They're missing out on their not insignificant PC fanbase.
FFXIV is super huge on PC and we're already the biggest fans of Naoki Yoshida.

I know a lot of people who prefer to wait rather than buying a console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Such a weird response. It’s ‘BS’ now to say you stand a better chance of growing your userbase when you release on a platform? 😂
Square Enix has announced FFXV twice for the Xbox One.
The first was it's original announcement and the second was a year after it was released because they forgot they actually released it on Xbox due to 80% of sales being on PS4.

StereoVsn

I am skipping FFXVI since that just doesn't look appealing to me. I don't want character action gameplay in FF.

That's just me, but IMO SE went too far into action category. It's fine to play line that for a 15 hour Bayonetta or DMC game, but not for a lengthy JRPG. Again, IMO.

Can't wait for Rebirth though. 0 chance I would preorder any game now days at the same time.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Oooh.

Though I doubt it means much. But FF isn't the same for me anymore. Dragon Quest is what I look forward to.

For me, Xenoblade + Shin Megami Tensei + Dragon Quest

It’s pretty much alll the jRPG I can take. Then I need a break from all the anime weeb cringe as fuck shit they keep including.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Square Enix has announced FFXV twice for the Xbox One.
The first was it's original announcement and the second was a year after it was released because they forgot they actually released it on Xbox due to 80% of sales being on PS4.

20% sales for a new platform is fine, especially when platform itself has 30% market share.

Besides, PC version will sell about as much as PS5 version if released day 1. They are ignoring that as well.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
1) PS4 sell through was probably 30-50% higher than what PS5 is at right now, so there were just more people to preorder.
2) FF16 follows a string of high profile bad or buggy AAA releases. The culture is shifting against preordering

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Duchess

Personally, I'm all about FF7 Remake / Rebirth / Return / Reboot right now. I've not played a mainline FF game since FF12.

(by the way, if you're after a great old school RPG, definitely get Chained Echoes)

Unknown?

They're missing out on their not insignificant PC fanbase.
FFXIV is super huge on PC and we're already the biggest fans of Naoki Yoshida.

I know a lot of people who prefer to wait rather than buying a console.
I know a lot of people who have the money and don't care if they have to buy their first console.

Sorcerer

Square Enix has struck me as a company bordering on paronia ever since claiming the sales of Tomb Raider were not good enough for them. I wonder if the expectations for sales on games border on completely unrealistic within their management structure? Are they genuinely unhappy and disappointed with the numbers their games sell no matter how it actually sold? It must suck being a dev at Square if management is micromanaging every detail of the game to live up to some unrealistic/unattainable standard "so it will sell more".

Last edited:

Metnut

I’m happy there’s no cross-gen and this is next-gen but there’s a price to pay for that and it’s going to impact initial sales. Also, FF13 and FF15 were complete disasters. There’s a price to pay for that too.

From everything I’ve read about the development process this game is going to review great, so hopefully it becomes a success long term.

Last edited:
Someone should educate them that pre-orders are about past performance, not future expectations.

XVI preorders are due to XV.

If XVI is great, they'll see that on XVII preorders.

ungalo

I think the game will have a successful launch but it won't be mindblowing.

The exclusive deals also show a lack of confidence.

MagnesD3

Isn’t that the same thing? An amazing game is a good game?

I wasn’t really thinking in review-scale terms.
No it's not, great games may stay with you the rest of your life, good games are way less likely to do so even if they are fun/technically good. For example Assassins Creed technicalky are good games but none of them are Great or Amazing in so much really that I would talk about them like I would with say Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Mass Effect.

Last edited:

lordrand11

Leaning towards the same. Now, if they have an unlocked vrr mode that runs at 80fps or more, then I could be swayed.
I'd be game for that but I've got a 240hz monitor currently and FFXV and 7R look beautiful on it so I'm assured it will be the same for this one. Not to mention I run my gpu to my 75" 4K TV on top of my monitor so I can play the big AAA's in all their glorious HD fury. Thanks Steam Big Picture Mode!

It's one of my most anticipated but I'm not preordering because I don't have a PS5. Console exclusivity, lmao.

Edit: wasn't ff15 on multiple consoles, too? And was hyped for like a decade? Hopefully ff16 is really good but man oh man squeenix put out some shit games for a while. Thank the heavens they nuked the luminous studio.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Let's hope so but I'm still worried a lot of reviewers will tank the score because of the game's lack of "diversity".
This is is gonna get tanked because its an exclusive and any excuse will be a reason. Won’t get more than 85-89

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Final Fantasy draws significant inspiration from Dragon Quest, which, in turn, was an adaptation or simplification of Western computer role-playing games that aimed to replicate tabletop RPG experiences. This is why the term "RPG" came about. The fact that Final Fantasy is turn-based has nothing to do with "technical limitations". They were a stylistic choice from the beginning. Action RPGs were indeed possible and actually predate Final Fantasy.

Action RPGs aren't recent by any stretch of the imagination.
Just wanted to point out you're absolutely right.
Anyone that claims otherwise has no idea what they're talking about (or is trying to sell you something)

Tabletop RPGs use numbers to model what the characters are good at.
You know why they use numbers? Because that's the most sane way of modeling those character skills.

How do you measure physical strenght in real life? If you had to model that in a realistic manner, you would need a robust simulation to achieve that.
With numbers, that task is simplified and made easy for anyone to rationalize about.
Oh, this character has 10 strenght points and this one has 5. It's clear who's the strongest one.

In RPGs, one of the most important things is that character skill should prevail over player skill.
That is, ideally it's your characters' abilities and skills that define the result of a battle.
You as the player can only issue commands.

If the character dodged an attack it's because the character is good at dodging, and not you, the player.
This is fundamental in any RPG.

Turn-based games put emphasis on planning and decision making rather than reflexes.
That is, since your player skills cannot determine the result of a battle, it's your responsability to give commands to your characters in order to succeed.
It's like a football coach giving orders to their team.

Action games are like sports games. You're the player in the field. You're in total control.
Action RPGs try to mix both, but the end result always favor player skills over the controlled character's skill.

All of these can coexist. One is not an evolution over the other.
It's time for this lie to end.

Robb

Gold Member
No it's not, great games may stay with you the rest of your life, good games are way less likely to do so even if they are fun/technically good. For example Assassins Creed technicalky are good games but none of them are Great or Amazing in so much really that I would talk about them like I would with say Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Mass Effect.
A great game is likely a good game. An amazing game is likely a good game. Etc.

Or would you call them bad games? I think it becomes easier to get what I meant if you think in black/white terms. Don’t have to over complicate it.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
If the Fantasy is so Final, how did we make it to 16?

Played every FF since the NES and have enjoyed them all. FF7 really took RPGs mainstream. Looking forward to checking this one out!

Nautilus

Banned
Just wanted to point out you're absolutely right.
Anyone that claims otherwise has no idea what they're talking about (or is trying to sell you something)

Tabletop RPGs use numbers to model what the characters are good at.
You know why they use numbers? Because that's the most sane way of modeling those character skills.

How do you measure physical strenght in real life? If you had to model that in a realistic manner, you would need a robust simulation to achieve that.
With numbers, that task is simplified and made easy for anyone to rationalize about.
Oh, this character has 10 strenght points and this one has 5. It's clear who's the strongest one.

In RPGs, one of the most important things is that character skill should prevail over player skill.
That is, ideally it's your characters' abilities and skills that define the result of a battle.
You as the player can only issue commands.

If the character dodged an attack it's because the character is good at dodging, and not you, the player.
This is fundamental in any RPG.

Turn-based games put emphasis on planning and decision making rather than reflexes.
That is, since your player skills cannot determine the result of a battle, it's your responsability to give commands to your characters in order to succeed.
It's like a football coach giving orders to their team.

Action games are like sports games. You're the player in the field. You're in total control.
Action RPGs try to mix both, but the end result always favor player skills over the controlled character's skill.

All of these can coexist. One is not an evolution over the other.
It's time for this lie to end.
Black And White Applause GIF by Team USA

Finally some common sense in this thread.

Dr_Ifto

They need to remove the embargo early then to get word of mouth going. People are holding off because the game is a shift in playstyle a d people need to know how that will work.

That or the rumored demo.

Top Bottom