• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

Some people seem to think that Zelda is the second coming of Christ and turns water into wine.😂

Did the "2 Unsponsored ADR Representing Ord Shs" part not clue you into the fact that you were looking at the wrong thing, Mr "analyst?"

This is the correct share. https://www.google.com/finance/quote/9684:TYO
According to your link, square also lost money in the long run and the short run as well. This isn't even including inflation. So I don't see how this proves square doing well. Especially their IPs are in shambles.

Also, I look into ADPR and it is important as well and maybe even more important than your source because that is how US can invest into some foreign companies that don't bother listing their stock in US stock exchanges.

So either graph literally proves my point.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
According to your link, square also lost money in the long run and the short run as well. This isn't even including inflation. So I don't see how this proves square doing well. Especially their IPs are in shambles.

First. That data does not involve in any shape or form whether they're making or losing money. The stock price is not influential on profit. Not even a little bit.

Secondly, I already shown you the graph, which apparently you're unable to read.

MC80nnD.jpg

Do you see that little red line that has been trending upward most of the time since 2013? It's also up 4.76% in the last year and up 20.83% since 5 years ago.

And again. Stock price is irrelevant to profitability.

Stop trying to move the goal posts. Take the L and move on.

Last edited:
Somewhere on the internet, Neoxon and BlackGirlGamers are salivating this news.

Except, it means f-all. Does Imran even name his source? Who at Square-Enix has contacted him about this, or who connected to Square-Enix has done so? Which regions are preorders supposedly tracking below XV? By how much are preorders tracking below?

I'm sorry but just because you claim to be an insider doesn't give you a pass. I'll ask these questions because you dudes and leakers have been massively wrong on a lot of things these days, and it's hard to say if that's by accident or purposefully. Either way, I think XVI is going to do just fine. The only thing that might have caused preorders to track below XV, ironically enough, is confirming a PC version is on the way, but being kind of dodgy about the timing.

There's maybe a bit of shades of MS's dodgy answering over Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity in there; the fact some do in fact feel the PC version is only six months after PS5 may be leading them to wait for that one. This could also be a good working proof that, yes in fact, there is heavy crossover between PC and console gaming audiences and seems like announcing a PC version too soon for an otherwise console exclusive (but a version that isn't Day 1) could lead to negatively impacting console sales of that same game.

To be fair, FF15 had like 10+ years of hype and build up, while in comparion 16 seems to almost of come out of nowhere (at least to me).

Also its Square we are talking about, the game could have 5mil pre-orders and they would still probably feel thats poor lol.

Delays and development hell works wonders for Final Fantasy games sales.

First. That data does not involve in any shape or form whether they're making or losing money. The stock price is not influential on profit. Not even a little bit.

Secondly, I already shown you the graph, which apparently you're unable to read.

MC80nnD.jpg

Do you see that little red line that has been trending upward most of the time since 2013? It's also up 4.76% in the last year and up 20.83% since 5 years ago.

And again. Stock price is irrelevant to profitability.
Stocks are based on projections and looks like people don't have faith in square enix. That is why their stocks are down overall even (33%) and (4%) in the last month using your source (Japan exchange). So short term and long term Square enix is flopping hard and that isn't even including inflation. Also, it does matter because if your stocks aren't rising, means less capital to invest and make profit off of. Not to mention if your stocks drop all the way down, it is game over.

Using my source which represents USA exchange basically shows an even bleaker view. With the decreasing economy and population in Japan, US capital will become more and more relevant and important for square enix to keep operating. That is why Square enix is trying to be cater to the western audience over the Japanese audience more than ever before. Which is obviously not working.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Stocks are based on projections and looks like people don't have faith in square enix. That is why their stocks are down overall even (33%) and (4%) in the last month using your source (Japan exchange). So short term and long term Square enix is flopping hard and that isn't even including inflation. Also, it does matter because if your stocks aren't rising, means less capital to invest and make profit off of. Not to mention if your stocks drop all the way down, it is game over.

Using my source which represents USA exchange basically shows an even bleaker view. With the decreasing economy and population in Japan, US capital will become more and more relevant and important for square enix to keep operating. That is why Square enix is trying to be cater to the western audience over the Japanese audience more than ever before. Which is obviously not working.

You don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. Square Enix is traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Q: On what exchange are Square Enix Holdings stocks traded? What is the ticker code of Square Enix Holdings?
A: Square Enix Holdings common shares are traded on The Tokyo Stock Exchange, Prime Market. The ticker code is 9684.

Again. No. Stock price does not in any shape or form influence profitability. This is economy 101. You're simply wrong. Admit it to yourself and move on.

Last edited:

MikeM

I'd be game for that but I've got a 240hz monitor currently and FFXV and 7R look beautiful on it so I'm assured it will be the same for this one. Not to mention I run my gpu to my 75" 4K TV on top of my monitor so I can play the big AAA's in all their glorious HD fury. Thanks Steam Big Picture Mode!
Yeah I run my PC to a 65” LG C1 along with my PS5. Playing FF with any controller besides a PS feels wrong.

You don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. Square Enix is traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Q: On what exchange are Square Enix Holdings stocks traded? What is the ticker code of Square Enix Holdings?
A: Square Enix Holdings common shares are traded on The Tokyo Stock Exchange, Prime Market. The ticker code is 9684.

Again. No. Stock price does not in any shape or form influence profitability. This is economy 101. You're simply wrong. Admit it to yourself and move on.
I literally said your stock source comes from Japan exchange but my stock source comes from US basically.

US capital/investments means a lot more than investments from Japan. The US not only has the bigger economy but Japan economy is shrinking due to population issues and lack of innovation. Why do you think Square is desperately trying to cater to western audience with FF16.

If you don't gain money from stock, you can't invest as much which will effect profitability. That is the best way to expand your company and make more money. This is basic economics 101. You lose yet again.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I literally said your stock source comes from Japan exchange but my stock source comes from US basically.

US capital/investments means a lot more than investments from Japan. The US not only has the bigger economy but Japan economy is shrinking due to population issues and lack of innovation.

If you don't gain money from stock, you can't invest as much which will effect profitability. That is the best way to expand your company and make more money. This is basic economy 101. You lose yet again.

There is no US. Square Enix stock is officially traded only on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Stop moving the goalposts. You literally have no idea of what you're talking about.

What you're doing is called a stubborn fallacy. You've been proven wrong over and over for an hour, and you're basically going in circles trying desperately to prove that you're not that wrong after all. You're wrong. Square Enix is profitable. Officially, factually, and demonstrably so.

Your perception of the state of their IPs does not replace hard numbers.

Last edited:
There is no US. Square Enix stock is officially traded only on the Tokyo Stock exchange. Stop moving the goalposts. You literally have no idea of what you're talking about.

What you're doing is called stubborn fallacy. You've been proven wrong over and over for an hour, and you're basically going in circles trying desperately to prove that you're not that wrong after all. You're wrong. Square Enix is profitable. Officially, factually, and demonstrably so.

Your perception of the state of their IPs does not replace hard numbers.
Yes, there is US involvement. What do you think my source came from? Sometimes foreign companies don't bother listing their exchange on US stock exchange due to all the rules and bureaucracy. Doesn't mean they still don't receive US capital in investments. Here is the source.

Losing money in stocks does effect profits and also means less money for Square Enix. Why do you think Square is panicking and resorting to using NFTs. They are desperate and basically running out of time.

Nautilus

Banned
You think Square is stressing over this?
Every company does, if any metric doesn't reach its projected goal. We don't because we are custumers, we just want to enjoy their products. For the companies, this is their business their livelihoods.

So yeah, they do stress it over. For them its not "Ah, relax bro, it will sell over time because reasons". For them its like "Pre order numbers have been an accurate historic data for decades that helps predict how well a game will do INNITIALLY. Its not the end all, but we WANT it to be good".

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yes, there is US involvement. What do you think my source came from? Sometimes foreign companies don't bother listing their exchange on US stock exchange due to all the rules and bureaucracy. Doesn't mean they still don't receive US capital in investments. Here is the source.

Losing money in stocks does effect profits and also means less money for Square Enix. Why do you think Square is panicking and resorting to using NFTs. They are desperate and basically running out of time.

You obviously don't even know what unsponsored ADR means.,

So let me finish you off. Your oh-so-influential table represents a volume of 328 shares traded yesterday.

The official trading on the Tokyo Stock Exchange represents a volume of 456,000 shares traded on the same day. 456 THOUSAND.

We're done here.

You obviously don't even know what unsponsored ADR means.,

So let me finish you off. Your oh-so-influential table represents a volume of 328 shares traded yesterday.

The official trading on the Tokyo Stock Exchange represents a volume of 456,000 shares traded on the same day. 456 THOUSAND.

We're done here.
ADPR

"These securities allow foreign corporations to enter the American financial markets and attract American capital. They also give American investors a way to invest in foreign companies they may otherwise not be able to access." Sounds like I know what I am talking about.

It is obvious that you are cornered and mad yet again. In fact, you just proved me right in your post and you don't even know it lol.

The low amount of shares traded through ADPR only proves my point. If square enix was successful, they would get more trades. However, that obviously isn't the case. Which shows the downward spiral Square is going through. If Apple was in same situation as square enix in stock exchange, you would see Americans invest into Apple like crazy regardless of ADPR status.

BTW Square stock value in the last month has been dropping in the exchange you listed. Looks like the 456,000 shares traded was at a lost lol.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

They need to hit it out of the ballpark with XVI, not specifically in sales, but the quality of the game. Square's reputation has been extremely shit these last few years and it's completely their own fault. With mediocre release after mediocre release, obsession to NFT's, incomplete packages with unnecessary and bullshit DLC's like FFXV after fans waited nearly ten years...they need to deliver on something ambitious on all fronts. We use to see the Squaresoft logo on games and automatically be intrigued, now we see the Square Enix logo and are mostly skeptical.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
ADPR

"These securities allow foreign corporations to enter the American financial markets and attract American capital. They also give American investors a way to invest in foreign companies they may otherwise not be able to access." Sounds like I know what I am talking about.

It is obvious that you are cornered and mad yet again. In fact, you just proved me right in your post and you don't even know it lol.

The low amount of shares traded through ADPR only proves my point. If square enix was successful, they would get more trades. However, that obviously isn't the case. Which shows the downward spiral Square is going through. If Apple was in same situation as square enix, you would see Americans invest into Apple like crazy regardless of ADPR status.

BTW in the last month Square stocks has been dropping in the exchange you listed. Looks like the 456,000 shares traded was at a lost lol.

Your ignorance is appalling and your desperate googling is laughable.

American (and worldwide) investors that want to trade with any seriousness on Japanese stock do so on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Or you thought that's open only to Japanese investors? That's why your unsponsored ADR stock has an absolutely minimal amount of trading compared to the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

You're trying to argue in bad faith based on a market that represents 0.1% of the total. That's so ridiculous that I couldn't make it up even if I tried.

Incidentally, only someone who knows nothing of the stock market would determine a stock's trends by looking at one month. You're so out of your depth that it isn't even funny. Of course, you keep showing your ignorance mentioning that it's "at a loss." Because, again, profit and loss are not influenced by the stock market.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It would make business sense for MS to pay for these games to come to xbox and launch on game pass for both MS and Square.
Sure but if Sony extend the deals, how could they do that?
MS is so slow with this stuff tbh, said to have nearly unlimited cash and SE outright said that Sony gave them a better deal. 🤷‍♂️ The reality is that they could’ve easily locked FF16 for a Gamepass launch thing if they were on their toes here with an open wallet instead of wasting their time losing the ABK deal.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Sure but if Sony extend the deals, how could they do that?
MS is so slow with this stuff tbh, said to have nearly unlimited cash and SE outright said that Sony gave them a better deal. 🤷‍♂️ The reality is that they could’ve easily locked FF16 for a Gamepass launch thing if they were on their toes here with an open wallet instead of wasting their time losing the ABK deal.

Microsoft would have to pay a LOT more than what Sony pays, simply because they can offer considerably less sales on their platform. It would likely make zero economic sense for all parties involved.

Leo9

Nope..
That’s true only if a company needs to raise capital via equity.

Pre orders don't say the whole true. what dictates game sales is how good is it, even Yoshi P stated in a Interview that they are trying to recover the "must play status" that FF used to have, quality will play a huge role in sales so they have to deliver critically first If they can get a 90+ on metacritic then they can reach their goal.

Your ignorance is appalling and your desperate googling is laughable.

American (and worldwide) investors that want to trade with any seriousness on Japanese stock do so on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Or you thought that's open only to Japanese investors? That's why your unsponsored ADR stock has an absolutely minimal amount of trading compared to the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

You're trying to argue in bad faith based on a market that represents 0.1% of the total. That's so ridiculous that I couldn't make it up even if I tried.

Incidentally, only someone who knows nothing of the stock market would determine a stock's trends by looking at one month. You're so out of your depth that it isn't even funny.

lol. Once again you are showing your desperation. You are defending square enix like no other. Must be because you bought square enix shares instead of a winning stock like Apple or Microsoft.

1. It is a lot easier to invest into Square enix through an ADPR for most investors.

2. If square was doing well, a lot of Americans would be buying squares enix stocks regardless of ADPR and you know it.

3. I only brought up square enix one month stock in my previous post because you brought up shares traded on Friday. So I used a short term analysis to combat your short term analysis. Want me to bring up the longer term analysis where square lost 33% of its value?

So you want to claim that preorders would not be higher if game was targeting every big platform?

Interesting 😂
That's not how this works dude. If Square put effort into making FF16 for Xbox also, expected preorder numbers would probably be slightly higher and still tracking behind. On top of the fact that they invested time and effort to port it to a platform of gamers that traditionally don't buy FF. You can't presume that by adding another audience that pre-order number are going to magically be great.

Xbox has proven to be a non entity when it comes to FF. Barely moves the needle.

If they targeted the game for the Switch it would make a big difference, but it would also be a completely different game.

This.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
lol. Once again you are showing your desperation. You are defending square enix like no other. Must be because you bought square enix shares instead of a winning stock like Apple or Microsoft.

1. It is a lot easier to invest into Square enix through an ADPR for most investors.

2. If square was doing well, a lot of Americans would be buying squares enix stocks regardless of ADPR and you know it.

3. I only brought up square enix one month stock in my previous post because you brought up shares traded on Friday. So I used a short term analysis to combat your short term analysis. Want me to bring up the longer term analysis where square lost 33% of its value?

Mine isn't a short-term analysis. I've simply proven you factually wrong by showing that your table is absolutely irrelevant as it represents an absolutely infinitesimal portion of the market.

A lot of Americans (and investors from all over the world) do trade Square Enix stock. On the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Where they are officially traded.

Again, you're so out of your depth that this is pure comedy gold.

Last edited:
Nope..
That’s true only if a company needs to raise capital via equity.

"Companies sell shares in their business to raise money. They then use that money for various initiatives: A company might use money raised from a stock offering to fund new products or product lines, to invest in growth, to expand their operations or to pay off debt"

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

"Companies sell shares in their business to raise money. They then use that money for various initiatives: A company might use money raised from a stock offering to fund new products or product lines, to invest in growth, to expand their operations or to pay off debt"

This is what happens when someone's whole education is based on furiously searching stuff on google.

Unfortunately, this is gonna get even worse when that shifts to chatGPT. 🙄

drganon

CyKBqeDWQAAWQHl.jpg

Killer8

More unverified sensationalism from leaker journalism.

If the gossip machine that was Twitter blue checkmarks drowned in the ocean, would any one really be bothered?

Mine isn't a short-term analysis. I've simply proven you factually wrong by showing that your table is absolutely irrelevant as it represents an absolutely infinitesimal portion of the market.

A lot of Americans (and investors from all over the world) do trade Square Enix stock. On the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Where they are officially traded.

Again, you're so out of your depth that this is pure comedy gold.

1. You literally looked at the data (analyzing) over a short period (short term) to refute my claims... And didn't even do a good job at that.

2. How many is a lot exactly?

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So bad that it sold 11 millions copies. As much as people like to hate on FF XV, this game was obviously checking some of the right boxes for 11 millions people to decide to buy it.

Let's wait and see if FF XVI can already do as good as that.

It's hilarious how some replace hard numbers with their personal perception, isn't it?

Top Bottom