• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incredible Assassin's Creed Fan Art Makes Me Hope The Next Entry Goes To China

ZiZ

just because the art is good doesn't mean the setting will be.

hell you can make great images like these in almost any setting.

SJRB

Gold Member
People have been requesting feudal Japan ever since the first AC.

After trainwrecking the series with ACIII and the snoozefest that was the US Revolution, perhaps they should look into it to get people back on board.

Jomjom

Banned
ITT: we find out a good number of GAFers are ignorant of the rich and long as hell history of one of the oldest countries in the world. The west fails at teaching world history confirmed.

People have been requesting feudal Japan ever since the first AC.

After trainwrecking the series with ACIII and the snoozefest that was the US Revolution, perhaps they should look into it to get people back on board.

As someone who's played the Tenchu games, don't really see the need for that setting. It would just be open-world Tenchu with boring gameplay.

I-hate-u

Sorry but American revolution period is was too boring comparing to other potential time periods.

They should have it set in Egypt where you play as Altair's granddaughter. Remember his son went to Alexendaria so I think the Egyptian assassin is a descendant of his.

Sadly no, which is a damn shame because ancient Korea would be amazing from both a story and art perspective.

I mean just imagine being chased around by the palace guards

091003_seoul_korea_deoksugung_palace_daehanmun_changing_royal_guards_block_MG_2528.jpg

as much as I love korea, it's not as wide, waried and mystical as China or Japan can be. Japan can be bland because it's been overdone in games. But china can be amazing. After Sleeping Dogs, I believe western devs can do china right

China/Japan has been done in games so much. I'd rather see some places that aren't often used in games. I'm assuming they're sticking with Connor for another trilogy? I hope they keep Connor's outfit wherever they go.

SJRB

Gold Member
As someone who's played the Tenchu games, don't really see the need for that setting. It would just be open-world Tenchu with boring gameplay.

In all fairness you can boil down any suggestion to "it would just be open-world [insert game/movie/tv show here] with boring gameplay".

As the concept arts in the OP already show, the era has lots of potential. Colorful, sophisticated city design. Gameplay-wise too, fully-fledged swordfighting, ninja hookblade.

I don't know, I really think there is potential.

DJIzana

I've never really been interested in Assassin's Creed but I'd totally play one set somewhere in Asia. (I'm Canadian too but on the West Coast. I should be supporting "local" developers.) :p

Jomjom

Banned
I think the problem with AC3 was that the US just doesnt have that rich a history. I mean we haven't even existed for 300 years yet. Its a blip in the grand scheme of things. But I guess when your main audience is Americans what are you gonna do. This is probably why we won't see an AC set in Asia anytime soon.

Amir0x

Banned
Is this the only thing that gets AC fans excited, different locations? Not improvements on gameplay or anything substantial? No matter the location, it'll still be the same bullshit.

Honestly, trying to disconnect the locations from the substantive gameplay improvements is a little bit of a pointless exercise. Having a location that fits the AC gameplay is basically as vital as any other element of the game design. It's critical to the enhancement of the series typical gameplay elements.

The difference in how fun AC gameplay is in a city like Boston versus how fun it is in a city like Venice is immense.

Jomjom said:
I think the problem with AC3 was that the US just doesnt have that rich a history. I mean we haven't even existed for 300 years yet.

This is just bizarre. The richness of history is determined only by how long some entity exists in the entirety of time? I can think of INDIVIDUAL events that only take place on a single day that have immense historical richness.

Likewise, American history is incredibly rich.

I think the problem with AC3 was that the US just doesnt have that rich a history. I mean we haven't even existed for 300 years yet. Its a blip in the grand scheme of things. But I guess when your main audience is Americans what are you gonna do. This is probably why we won't see an AC set in Asia anytime soon.

You do realize 4-6 games have been set outside of America?

I think World War II would be an amazing setting for an Assassin's Creed game and would allow them to bring back stealth in a big way. Imagine if the four cities were Berlin, London, Paris and Moscow each during different stages in the war, and there was a start-of-MGS4 vibe going on where you're on neither side of the conflict but you're fighting among the troops of the Allies and Axis... personally I think that would be incredible. Assassin's Creed was originally a series about vibrant and interesting settings with lots of AI, some kind of war zone would be a great place to express such a setting in a different way. It would also make for a more interesting plot too if you were some kind of British spy during the war. It would also give them an opportunity to introduce guns to the series in an interesting way, as to be frank their implementation in the series so far haven't been so great.

Google this

Rubius

China is cool, but Japan was hinted since the end of the first game. And its a pretty obvious choice to have a Assassin game with a Ninja.
China/Japan has been done in games so much. I'd rather see some places that aren't often used in games. I'm assuming they're sticking with Connor for another trilogy? I hope they keep Connor's outfit wherever they go.

Could be cool if Connor goes to Quebec to help against the Amerindians. Hell, they could make him go to my home town who have the first Canal in North America and a giant fort full of guards that never got used, because the Native never got past Montreal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coteau-du-Lac,_Quebec
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coteau-du-Lac_canal

Its near the US border and it played a major role into the distribution of goods by boat during the early days of the Americas.

X-Factor

There have been too many games set in China lately. Sleeping Dogs and most of RE6.

RE6 handled it poorly too.

Setting it in China has less appeal to the mass market too. I rather see them expand on something else.

Ezio was interesting because there has never been a game set in historical Italy before.

China is cool, but Japan was hinted since the end of the first game. And its a pretty obvious choice to have a Assassin game with a Ninja.

Franchise writter/director/some one up there said it was so bland and boring. He wanted to make India (I would be for that because I have no clue about indian history and culture so I would go blind and enjoy the ride)

but we all know french revolution is next people

Franchise writter/director/some one up there said it was so bland and boring. He wanted to make India (I would be for that because I have no clue about indian history and culture so I would go blind and enjoy the ride)

but we all know french revolution is next people

That would make sense and be pretty interesting. Connor might be getting a bit long in the tooth to be scaling the Bastille by then.

Azure J

Why are people saying no? Artwork is bad? Character looks bad? ...anti Chinese? >__>

Yeah, I'm pretty much left wondering the same thing myself. Besides the one or two good points about Ubi's thoughts on Asian settings and the color of garb they've got on in some of those fan artworks, this is pretty impressive stuff.

Slayven

After Django getting folks dander up, I want it set during the civil war or reconstruction. And you play as a buddy of Nate Turner.

Loxley

Give me an AC game set during the Norman Conquest of 1066. I don't quite know how the hell fitting an assassin in there would make any sense, but if you can get away with it during the American Revolution, why not. Maybe you play a viking-esque Anglo-Saxon hell-bent on taking out all of the French invaders.

You, em, would fail miserably obviously. But it would be fun while it lasted :) Fill it with Beowulf quotes.

oh my god. that looks like official concept work and the fact that the artist did so much of it is just incredible.

looks spectacular. kudos to the artist.

That is amazing but right now we are stuck with Connor and Colonial America -_-

They could move to carribean and do more pirate/ship combat stuff and still manage to include colonial america. Though I'm sure the resorts weren't quite as extravagant or as developed in the 1780s.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ITT: we find out a good number of GAFers are ignorant of the rich and long as hell history of one of the oldest countries in the world. The west fails at teaching world history confirmed.

No kidding. I don't know why people keep saying "we've seen too many games set in China!" as if the countless Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms games are the standard. I'm sorry but those games never stepped beyond the boundary years of 100-300 CE. If that.

There's still 2,000 years of history lying there.

I still think a setting in India would be insanely awesome pretty much any time period but during the Brittish raj would be a top contender

LiK

No kidding. I don't know why people keep saying "we've seen too many games set in China!" as if the countless Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms games are the standard. I'm sorry but those games never stepped beyond the boundary years of 100-300 CE. If that.

There's still 2,000 years of history lying there.

Agreed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The art is great but it doesn't necessarily feel like an Assassin's Creed game. Feels more like Prince of Persia 2008 and Ninja Gaiden had a baby.

I would buy that game btw.

This setting, art and story wise would be awesome, as would Egypt.. however..

Im kinda sick of the current assassins creed gameplay.. it really needs to evolve and expand, and its hard to do that when stuck in the past. A modern day game, huge future cities, gliding suit to jump from building to building, new tools and toys to make movement fun and most of all, surprising.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was tied up with Revelations,
like Adam and Eve were salves from Atlantis that escaped after which Atlantis got destroyed.

They did explain it. Kind of. But it seemed so awesome and they wasted it.

Lesath

I'm sorry and I know you mean well but that shit never happened :/

I don't know when the Koreans = kicking bullshit became a thing but it's bogus. The ancient Korean army was known for their skill with the bow and penchant to blow shit up at a distance with cannons. It's why our swords, the hwan-do were shorter than the katana and positioned in a peculiar way, like in that picture posted. They were a sidearm and they were a secondary weapon to the bow.

I'd like to be optimistic but it's hard when the Korean media barely gets it right.

Sorry, I was under the assumption that Taekwondo is the most prominent unarmed martial art to come out of Korea. I just figured it would be a neat way to allow for a stylistic flair for the unarmed and hidden blade weapon options. Of course, if they bothered with a Korean AC, I'm certain they'd incorporate the weapons you mentioned too.

I hope not.
My favourite setting right now would be London Victorian era, with an assassin girl (in the main games this time) with a black sense of humor (not a flat, no fun allowed, character like Altair or Connor), that is best friends with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (that acts a little like a detetcive character making him a real sherlock, just like they did with Da Vinci BBF with Ezio), with a story arc during the main story where Jack the ripper is important, and with those awesome victorian era buildings and fog everywhere during the cold nights.

The other possibility is France during the revolution.

I want famous architecture, tall buildings, an opressing and majestous city. Enough with the open nature I can see in any other game and not fun repetitive locales because they dont know how to do a good replica of them (like in Assassin Creed 1). Becuase thats what China would bring to the table, and thats what all the art you have put show. Also it would probably not have any sense of humour what so ever.

The worse thing of all is that it will probably be China because of AC Embers.

Honestly, trying to disconnect the locations from the substantive gameplay improvements is a little bit of a pointless exercise. Having a location that fits the AC gameplay is basically as vital as any other element of the game design. It's critical to the enhancement of the series typical gameplay elements.

The difference in how fun AC gameplay is in a city like Boston versus how fun it is in a city like Venice is immense.

This is exactly the problem I have with AC1, AC3 and would probably have with one done in China, depending of how good they remake a chinese city historically.

saw these a few days ago, seems like there are some new ones thrown in there - the swords one is amazing.

still want victorian london though. maybe they'll come to their senses after they do french rev this year (i think)

victorian.jpg

Just amazing only watching those rooftops.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I wasn't a big fan of the default AC3 outfit, there was something about how it looked, and the booths/legs throw it off slightly for me. I far preferred the unlocked Achilles Outfit, thought while not massively different looked much better.

I felt I didn't quite stick out as much like a sore thumb in the Achilles Outfit rather than the Assassin one.

Well for one thing, China had Gun powder for pretty long, and the guards had a lot of poles. So that could make stuff fun.
c633ca27-4099-41e6-8127-1c6e7fb74f9b.jpg

Flying guillotine !

fg1.jpg

Guillotine is french

So he had the idea in china. Therefore, AC4 will be in China playing the ancestor of Mr. Guillotine, leading to the even of french revolution where all the noble were beheaded.

Here you go Ubi. I wrote the story for you

LiK

I hope not.
My favourite setting right now would be London Victorian era, with an assassin girl (in the main games this time) with a black sense of humor (not a flat, no fun allowed, character like Altair or Connor), that is best friends with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (that acts a little like a detetcive character making him a real sherlock, just like they did with Da Vinci BBF with Ezio), with a story arc during the main story where Jack the ripper is important, and with those awesome victorian era buildings and fog everywhere during the cold nights.

The other possibility is France during the revolution.

I want famous architecture, tall buildings, an opressing and majestous city. Enough with the open nature I can see in any other game and not fun repetitive locales because they dont know how to do a good replica of them (like in Assassin Creed 1). Becuase thats what China would bring to the table, and thats what all the art you have put show. Also it would probably not have any sense of humour what so ever.

The worse thing of all is that it will probably be China because of AC Embers.

What an ignorant comment.

What an ignorant comment.

Ignorant? where. Are you sure the team could do a nearly perfect recreation of an important Chinese city dring that era, just like they did with the italian ones? Or would it be a half assed job like they did in AC1 and 3 becuase they were not enough important buildings around. Please convince me otherwise.
But please, find me real art of that era in china where you can see real cities so I can see if they can do a good recreation of them.
The art showed in the OP just looks like Chinese fantasy videogame setting nº 57. Its good art, but its as generic chinese architecture as it gets.

Don't you wish you could vote down post like those into oblivion?

Dont you wish someone brings here real media of an important Chinese city during 1600-1800?
BTW You are also pretty ignorant wanting MercurySteam doing something like the recreation of a Chinese city. Because I can tell you that right now they have absolute no idea. Oh, but your avatar indicates me that anything done by "Kojima productions" would be good in your eyes.
But please, continue pretending im an idiot while any of you bring what I asked in my post, and how that wouldnt make a game like AC1 or 3.

Top Bottom