• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | Official Trailer

Sabotage

Tempting...

n6FGIay.gif

MacReady13

The 1st two Indy films are amongst my fav films of all time. I adore part 3. Part 4 I enjoyed as well, but without that nostalgia it sits below the 1st 3 films. Still, I enjoyed part 4 as it was a fun Indy flick and great escapist entertainment.

This film, without Spielberg or Lucas' involvement just doesn't have me as excited as I should be. I know people will say this will correct the "mistake" that was part 4 but I say fuck you to them as I enjoyed part 4. I heard the same shit with the Star Wars sequels and how we will forget the prequels, and instead the prequels only went up in people's estimations after the terrible sequels!

This trailer just reminds me so much of the Star Wars sequels it's not funny so my anticipation is really low...

The 1st two Indy films are amongst my fav films of all time. I adore part 3. Part 4 I enjoyed as well, but without that nostalgia it sits below the 1st 3 films. Still, I enjoyed part 4 as it was a fun Indy flick and great escapist entertainment.

This film, without Spielberg or Lucas' involvement just doesn't have me as excited as I should be. I know people will say this will correct the "mistake" that was part 4 but I say fuck you to them as I enjoyed part 4. I heard the same shit with the Star Wars sequels and how we will forget the prequels, and instead the prequels only went up in people's estimations after the terrible sequels!

This trailer just reminds me so much of the Star Wars sequels it's not funny so my anticipation is really low...

Part 4 really isn't anywhere near as bad as the internet would make you believe. I do think it's the worst of the Indy films but it still very much *feels* like Indiana Jones. If 3-4 scenes were removed or retooled (fridge scene, monkey swinging scene, sinkhole scene, CGI alien on the end) it'd sit right alongside the originals.

It's a let down but not some complete travesty. That categorization is reserved for The Rise of Skywalker and The Rise of Skywalker alone.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I just hope to christ the rumours of Waller Bridge
replacing Indy after a load of time travel shenanigans
are just that. I can easily see Kennedy wanting to do that, but hopefully more sensible minds prevailed. Mangold says it’s not true, but then he’s hardly likely to piss off his masters by revealing anything at this stage.

Would not be surprised at all if turns out to be true. Everyone knows Kennedy wants all Lucasfilm movies to become girl boss films.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why not do the Spear of Destiny, That is the spear that pierced Christ, and then they could travel through time with a cool spear.
eCNfZ1p.jpg

But hyeah, seems like they could look to the comics a bit more for what could or could not work

enAxCHv.jpg

though the comic is a lot like a rehash of Raiders in that the Nazis wanted the spear for nebulous powers of world domination and I think ties into actual Nazi operations far too closely for Spielberg today.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Would not be surprised at all if turns out to be true. Everyone knows Kennedy wants all Lucasfilm movies to become girl boss films.

indy passing the torch to a woman isn't the fundamental issue (to me it's passing the torch to ANYONE, I just want more young indy) but PWB I don't think is that woman regardless.

But yeah, ain't no one clamoring for a woman Indy that hasn't been serviced by THREE Lara Croft films AND Sydny Fox as Relic Hunter(tm). So why make a film that would probably turn off 60% of the audience and not attract any?

FzjvlLJ.jpg

AmuroChan

indy passing the torch to a woman isn't the fundamental issue (to me it's passing the torch to ANYONE, I just want more young indy) but PWB I don't think is that woman regardless.

But yeah, ain't no one clamoring for a woman Indy that hasn't been serviced by THREE Lara Croft films AND Sydny Fox as Relic Hunter(tm). So why make a film that would probably turn off 60% of the audience and not attract any?

I actually don't mind the passing the torch to a woman strategy, if it's done well. I just don't believe it will be done well because of Kennedy. All she wants is the Mary Sue type character who supplants the previous lead character and is better in almost every way, but without any of the struggles and character development.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I actually don't mind the passing the torch to a woman strategy, if it's done well. I just don't believe it will be done well because of Kennedy. All she wants is the Mary Sue type character who supplants the previous lead character and is better in almost every way, but without any of the struggles and character development.
Eh, what archeological adventure can you have in the 60's-70's? It'd just be espionage shit. Granted, Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler hero) showed that you COULD do it in a modernish era, but why toss Indy for this completely separate thing? I just don't buy total retirement of the character in film. I bet they are working on a CG tv show as we speak.

AmuroChan

Eh, what archeological adventure can you have in the 60's-70's? It'd just be espionage shit. Granted, Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler hero) showed that you COULD do it in a modernish era, but why toss Indy for this completely separate thing? I just don't buy total retirement of the character in film. I bet they are working on a CG tv show as we speak.

No clue, but I have no confidence in KK doing right by this IP.

FunkMiller

The writer and director of the movie says it was never in any draft of the script and never in any cut of the film, yet a masked Nazi on YouTube is somehow right?

Nope. Not saying that at all. But I still have my doubts that Kennedy won’t revert to type in one way or another. Waller Bridge’s character has been deliberately inserted over a Mutt recast. Doesn’t bode well, considering her track record.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

I feel like, in retrospect a few years from now, this will be a war of semantics. If Harrison as Indy stops showing up but ANYONE in that continuity keeps on being in a film, then one could argue that it ISN'T "replacing" Indy but for all intents and purposes it IS replacing him because someone else is doing what Indy used to do.

I do not think we will see a woman call herself "Indiana Jones", which is what I think Mangold is saying, but I think they will TRY to "pass the torch" from Indy to some new character that might, depending on audience reception, carry out Indy-like adventures of their own (and PWB is the most likely candidate, other than Mutt showing back up in some capacity).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Objectively speaking, Mangold should really expect people to be doubtful and suspicious given the creative direction that recent franchise entries have taken.
Essentially they've conditioned audiences to a certain sort of product going forward.

ManaByte

Objectively speaking, Mangold should really expect people to be doubtful and suspicious given the creative direction that recent franchise entries have taken.
He’s not going after people being doubtful, he’s debunking outright lies about the movie. Many of which have been posted here as fact.

Romulus

I watched the original trilogy the other day. Even those are pretty shit tbh.

Agreed. As a kid they were awesome but I was very unimpressed rewatching them in my 30s. Ford has alot of presence onscreen and many of the scenes are visually interesting and varied, but that's it.

Last edited:
Agreed. As a kid they were awesome but I was very unimpressed rewatching them in my 30s. Ford has alot of presence onscreen and many of the scenes are visually interesting and varied, but that's it.

Yes, and I wasn’t even trolling for once!….they are all actually quite weak films imo.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Off topic, but related to Doomcock videos, if the Blade movie is this bad that will be a huge disappointment. I'm not a big superhero movie fan to begin with I'll watch Blade.

His Blade video is pretty funny.

Neff

Awful trailer format. Awful rendition of the classic theme. That said, I'll admit to being curious.

This film, without Spielberg or Lucas' involvement just doesn't have me as excited as I should be. I know people will say this will correct the "mistake" that was part 4 but I say fuck you to them as I enjoyed part 4.

My feelings exactly. Apart from a few ropey-looking digital exterior shots Crystal Skull was a fun, authentic ride which I hugely preferred over The Last Crusade.

Bragr

Banned
It's already apparent that it's gonna look weird seeing Harrison doing anything involving moving around. But the producers are so desperate to milk it, they pretend it's not obvious. But it is.

This is not gonna work unless 95% of it is digital Harrison.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is the Dial of Destiny based off any real life counterpart? All the movies except maybe Temple of Doom (I don't know if the Sankara Stones have any basis in reality) have magical items based off of real life counterparts whether it be the Ark of the Covenant, the Holy Grail or Crystal Skull.

The movie looks fun and I have some hope. I just hope they don't wokify it.

Okay trailer, terrible subtitle. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a badass subtitle attached to a horrible movie, hopefully this one will be the opposite.

Darkmakaimura

I think the movie looks really fun. Like I said before, I just hope they don't insert all this wokeness into it.

But then again I like every Indiana Jones movie including the fourth one. I can't stand Shia Labeouf but otherwise I liked it and I actually really enjoyed the story.

I also really liked the video games especially Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb. I also own the Atlantis game on GOG but I haven't got around to playing it yet and never played it before.

Darkmakaimura

KK rapes Indy with a strap on.

Mangold has repeatedly said there have been no screenings, so all that stuff is bullshit.
I posted about this in the other thread that you made.

It most likely is bullshit but just as recent as last month they said they do want to make more movies and TV shows so it is safe to assume they want to probably do some kind of expanded universe that isn't going to include Harrison Ford as the main protagonist.

Post in thread 'James Mangold goes on the offense against trolls making up BS Indy 5 plots (he’s not being replaced, no one has seen the movie)' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/james-mangold-goes-on-the-offense-against-trolls-making-up-bs-indy-5-plots-he’s-not-being-replaced-no-one-has-seen-the-movie.1646931/post-267071401

So, the director is telling the truth in a sense that he isn't going to be replaced but it's very likely the torch is going to get passed to someone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom