• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [March] Now Voting - Post 651!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Have you gotten any further in Whitewash? I was interested in the game, but all the videos I could find were from early in the game and didn't really show any of the more interesting mechanics hinted at in the screenshots and trailer. Would definitely like to see gameplay from later in the game

I didnt restart again after it crashed & bugged my save for me, but I can try making a video. However, the early parts were really ... not favourable. Maybe I play a bit more to see whether it gets better eventually.

mantrakid

Might make another video tonight, any preferences?

Cosmochoria (due to our current KS) and Card City Nights might be among my choices, but maybe someone actually wants to see gameplay of a certain game? I was thinking of revisiting Black Ice too, but as I said, if anyone has a suggestion, let me know :)

I would be indebted.. remember the shift+1 on the title screen if you want to skip the slower introductory feel for the sake of the video..(get crystals to buy the first tier of upgrades + fast plant).

I enjoyed your cubesis video a lot, so whatever you do, i'll probably have fun. :)

OnPoint

Very good idea, but man, I am really curious how the general playerbase will react to it. Its just so... weird :p
I have a feeling the reactions will be confused at best. Which stinks because there is some depth to the shop once you learn what descriptions correlate with which power ups that I think people would like.

We might redo the shop a little after launch, especially if feedback goes how I think it will.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have a feeling the reactions will be confused at best. Which stinks because there is some depth to the shop once you learn what descriptions correlate with which power ups that I think people would like.

We might redo the shop a little after launch, especially if feedback goes how I think it will.

Cant you hint at that depth in the tutorial somehow?

So...FJORDS is getting a co-op "sequel"

FJORDS FOREVER
screenshot103.png

A companion game to FJORDS
It's a game for two players. You are a pair of scientists working together to eat a series of extra-dimensional pizzas. You use a tether, a bomb, a ferry, and a magic block to navigate to the pizzas.

Toma

I would be indebted.. remember the shift+1 on the title screen if you want to skip the slower introductory feel for the sake of the video..(get crystals to buy the first tier of upgrades + fast plant).

I enjoyed your cubesis video a lot, so whatever you do, i'll probably have fun. :)

Where/how can I delete the savegame of Cosmochoria?

Toma

Hold SHIFT then hit "Delete" on your keyboard on the title screen & that should wipe it back to a fresh install..

Was about to say that pressing delete like a maniac didnt really yield any results. :p

Toma

sorry bout that tried to catch the edit ASAP. is it working for you now?

Yep, just did a quick video, no clue how it turned out, but I'll post it once its done processing.

mantrakid

00BY11T.png

Video impressions on Cosmochoria!
http://youtu.be/Edt0_9ttesg

Not much to add, lovely game and I cant wait for more content :)

I left a comment on YT, but thank you deeply for your playthrough, i really enjoyed watching you and you had some wonderful comments and observations - the type of stuff I am definitely going to be implementing in the final game!

Just a heads up you have a link for cubesis still in the description - is it possible to change that to www.cosmochoria.com? thanks again man, i really appreciate the support you've shown me and the game. <3

Toma

I left a comment on YT, but thank you deeply for your playthrough, i really enjoyed watching you and you had some wonderful comments and observations - the type of stuff I am definitely going to be implementing in the final game!

Just a heads up you have a link for cubesis still in the description - is it possible to change that to www.cosmochoria.com? thanks again man, i really appreciate the support you've shown me and the game. <3

Oops, my desire to get people to try Cubesis might have subconsciously make me overlook that :p

Anyway, I might take care of the KS launch thread for Cosmochoria as well, while I am on it. Baddy wanted to do it initially but apparently he cant do it that day. If you have anything that you really want in there, let me know via PM :)

Toma

Hey Baddy, I was preparing for the Whitewash video I wanted to make for you until I stumbled over this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCkKj3XvzLs

It is basically 1:1 the same thing I would have done. I wanted to get further into the game and then just gave up and wanted to show an earlier level and just sound annoyed because its the exact. same. shit. over. and. over. again.

Stacking boxes isnt fun, stacking boxes with horrible controls is annoying, stacking boxes with horrible controls where you are only seeing half of the screen is awful and stacking boxes with horrible controls where you are only seeing half of the screen while also having a time limit so you need to redo the stupid box stacking for no proper reason is just torture.

Oh and the first "power" you get in the game (aka the portal gun in portal) is... you might not have guess it... the power to stack boxes ... SLOWER. The dev is a bit pissed on Desura about people downtalking this game, but besides good looks... its just not worth playing. The dev has no grasp at all on level design. I dont even understand how he thought these puzzles are a good idea.

Level progression (level 3-5 take up to 10 minutes):
1. Press random buttons
2. Stack a cube, grab sphere. Repeat 3 times.
3. Stack 2 cubes, grab sphere. Repeat 3 times.
4. Stack 2 cubes to reach another platform on which you stack another 2 cubes, grab sphere. Repeat 3 times.
5. Stack 3 cubes to reach a moving platform, grab sphere...

I mean... seriously?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Just to let everyone know, Ether One released yesterday! The OT is here, I've added some of the reviews that have come in for it. Not had a chance to sink my teeth into it yet but I'm looking forward to it. A lot of comparisons to Myst which might intrigue people.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786672

I've been working my way through to do a review, so far I am really loving it. I especially love the puzzle/wander approach they've taken. You can do most of the game without touching any of the actual puzzles but if you want to dig further into the story and the lives of the people involved you can do puzzles that fit organically into the areas.

There's a really great easter egg for fans of
Gone Home
in there as well.

mantrakid

Oops, my desire to get people to try Cubesis might have subconsciously make me overlook that :p

Anyway, I might take care of the KS launch thread for Cosmochoria as well, while I am on it. Baddy wanted to do it initially but apparently he cant do it that day. If you have anything that you really want in there, let me know via PM :)

Sounds Awesome! I'll get in touch via PM <3

Freedom Planet got another "box art"*, apparently:

Bjr4_SvCMAAJRfQ.jpg:orig

Not bad stuff. That boss fight's something of a highlight of the game, anyway.

Also, dunno if I should be spreading this tidbit or not, but it's supposed to hit Beta at the end of the month (after being in Alpha since around this time last year), and tentatively releasing on May 30th (maybe later, depending on how much polish is needed at the end of the day). It'll only have the three girls as playable characters initially; the two playable male characters are to be added in at a later point in time (no idea if it's free or will cost, although I'm assuming it'll be a free update).

Still, it's coming together pretty well; only two more stages really need to be done until the entire campaign is finished, and I'm under the impression that one of the two is basically mostly finished anyway. Latest alpha also added a lot of voice clips from the as-of-yet-unshown cutscenes, which are surprisingly fun to listen to, even without any context for what's actually going on.

(*In quotation marks because, well, it's a digital-only title AFAIK, so it's more "Steam store page art" than "box art", really.)

Wok

I hope more people play Escape Goat 2 and can tell me how to beat both 7-10 and 9-4. I'm stuck on both of them. I've beaten everything else available. The game is fantastic and addictive just like the first! Though after these two I think it's pretty much over. I need help though!

This is how I started to complete level 7-10:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242657668

Afterwards, you have to activate the switch at the bottom while taking care of avoiding the cicular razor blades (you should be able to kill half of them). I think you have to activate every switch twice in the end.

So forget what I said about Escape Goat 2 being more of the same. The game continues to add new interesting mechanics to the core gameplay that allow for puzzles and scenarios never possible in the first. This is definitely going to be another addition to my slowly growing GOTY list. The art style is wonderful and the game retains the mix of precision platforming and challenging trial-error puzzles of the original, while constantly building on that foundation.

played little bit of Betrayer and it's good! so mysterious and atmospheric. you start off at a shore what appears to be a shipwreck. you follow a road into a forest when a girl in a red hood shoots an arrow with a message for you. from there you start piecing together the story of betrayer. make sure you have your headphones one because you will need it. there's even a button to "listen".

played little bit of Betrayer and it's good! so mysterious and atmospheric. you start off at a shore what appears to be a shipwreck. you follow a road into a forest when a girl in a red hood shoots an arrow with a message for you. from there you start piecing together the story of betrayer. make sure you have your headphones one because you will need it. there's even a button to "listen".

I beat the game on Tuesday and it's pretty good. Great atmosphere and the combat becomes really enjoyable once you start getting more weapons and upgrades.

r3n4ud

We dont know the date, but its greenlit, meaning it should get a steam release not too far off-ish at least.
I don't think being greenlit indicates the game will fully release soon. This one looks like it has a ways to go yet.

We dont know the date, but its greenlit, meaning it should get a steam release not too far off-ish at least.
Wait, you do know NEO Scavenger is already on Early Access, right? Or do you mean like a full release a la Betrayer and Mercenary Kings?

---
Spate and Creeper World 3 are on Steam

Can't say anything about Spate, but CW3 is excellent. It's tower defense but there's an excellent offensive side as you carve out frontlines and push your defenses forward, plus there's tons of depth in dealing with topography and terraforming and the liquid enemy's relentless onslaught

On each map, you face the Creeper threat: a liquid menace that flows across the landscape and destroys everything it touches. The only way to stop this enemy is to disable the emitters peppered across each map; this simple change shifts the whole focus from simple defense to going on the offensive. Set your base in a strategic location and build a network of reactors and energy collectors (but don't go overboard or you'll strain your ammo and power production). You'll need to set up a defensive fortifications, lest the Creeper flows in from an unprotected angle and ruins your plan, and then go on an aggressive offense. Set up beachheads with mortars and cannons, leapfrog your energy relays and guns, take back higher ground or terraform the area to build barriers and gain a height advantage. You can even build anti-Creeper turrets and remote drones for aerial assaults.

With each level, new map formations and dangers will test your strategic planning. Spores, asteroid-shattered worlds, overwhelming Creeper from all directions, and much more offers a variety of challenge throughout the game's campaigns.

Toma

Wait, you do know NEO Scavenger is already on Early Access, right? Or do you mean like a full release a la Betrayer and Mercenary Kings?

Ah, derp. Right! Its already on Steam, lol.

I shouldnt let myself be fooled by 1 year old thread titles and probably should ask a mod to update it, but the thread will sink into GAF obscurity in 5 minutes again anyway.

Sorry guys, brain fart.

r3n4ud

Ah, derp. Right! Its already on Steam, lol.

I shouldnt let myself be fooled by 1 year old thread titles and probably should ask a mod to update it, but the thread will sink into GAF obscurity in 5 minutes again anyway.

Sorry guys, brain fart.
It's all good lol

Was wondering what the heck you were talking about.

Toma

Same offer here:

Heyo guys, you might know me as the guy who randomly jumps in here and screams about games you should try.

There is this really neat post-apocalyptic turn based survival sim that screams for more publicity, called NEO Scavenger. I also made a thread for it if you want to read up on it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700141

NEO Scavenger is a turn-based, rogue-like RPG where you must survive in the wasteland long enough to figure out who you are. Each turn you must decide where to go, how to scavenge for supplies, and how to deal with anything and anyone you encounter. And with each passing minute, the pit in your stomach grows, your dehydration worsens, your muscles tire, and your body temperature drops in the cold autumn air. Choose your starting abilities carefully, because they and your wit are the only tools you have in the apocalypse!

The game is on Steam early access and can be currently had for $1 during the Humble Weekly sale (even including the good and challenging puzzle game Offspring Fling if you buy it yourself):
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Thing is, this game is way, way, way too good to be overlooked and I'd love more people to check it out. I'll gift 15 copies of this game over in the thread (linked above) to the first people voicing their interest in that thread (I wont monitor the Steam thread closely so make sure to post over there) in return for you guys posting some impressions in that thread & maybe also in here to help bumping the thread/raising awareness of the game or even telling the world that you believe it is utter crap after you tried it

If we have a deal, head over here and let me know:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700141

I'll send out the links by tomorrow as buying the games might take me a while.

Voting

• Action Painting Pro - I didn't write about this game previously but I enjoyed it for what it is, just a simple platformer game where you jump paints and once you understand what each one of the "power-ups" do it's entertaining to make the paintings. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the music.
  • Cosmochoria - If I wasn't so lazy to make a list of the best games of the month Cosmochoria could figure in the top along Nothing to Hide. I already wrote my opinions about the game early in the thread so I'll be short, fun game, ton of content, lovely art and music and addicting gameplay.
  • Lenna's Inception - Played again, this time in mind it's a Zelda clone with some new gameplay elements and I can understand why Toma liked so much, it's a throwback to the old Zelda games while having original ideas.
  • Maverick Bird - Yes I like the original Flappy Bird, and enjoyed Terry's take on it too.
  • Nothing to Hide - Everyone needs to play it, top game of the month (IMO) along of Cosmochoria.
  • Black Ice

Other games I played:
  • Astrovoid
  • Bosses Forever 2.Bro
  • Clockefeller
  • iZBOT
  • Mirage
  • Painter's Guild

If I have more time I'll play some more games

I love the use of wind in this game, visually and aurally. The vegetation animates great. None of that boring slow mo swaying back and forth seemingly every game out there. The random strong knocking around of branches and grass adds to the immersion and is realistic. This kind of wind action is severely missing from games.

Imagining wind physics with the resources of a big budget studio makes me all giddy.

There was a leaked video of a very windy forest in Witcher 3. It looked amazing. Same kind of wind as this game but taken to a beautiful extreme. I've only played an hour of Betrayer and the wind is what comes to mind as my first impression. The love the wind. And dense vegetation. Denser and better vegetation needs to be a priority for the next generation, PC and console. PC can handle it, so let users throw a dozen GPUs at a game if they want real world density of plants and powerful wind physics.

To sum up my rambling: wind

Top Bottom