• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [March] Now Voting - Post 651!

daydream

Banned
Went ahead and played Spate took me about an hour and a half. The art style and atmosphere were top notch and the music was really well done. I enjoyed the story and the narration for the most part, although it kinda feel apart for me at the end. I found the game play to be pretty bland across the board, the world just wasn't very interesting to traverse at all. There are pretty long stretches were you just press the forward key or tap the jump key and don't do much else, it really kills the pacing.

*EDIT* I also want to add that the game was buggy, had the game soft lock on me and a couple of instances where I had to restart at a checkpoint after getting stuck.

Sounds like a bummer. Thanks for the quick review.

Edit: now with formatting!

Quite excited for Shelter 2. Really enjoyed the first one, not necessarily as a game you play from start to finish, but as a beautiful and unusual little étude.

Shelter 2 - PC

Btw there's one "[/code]" too many in the OP for the "not yet released" template, no?

And this reminds me that I still need to play the first game.

daycru

Can someone recommend a fun game to play with my girlfriend tonight? Preferably free, but cheap is fine. Light fun, casual, accessible. Thanks!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can someone recommend a fun game to play with my girlfriend tonight? Preferably free, but cheap is fine. Light fun, casual, accessible. Thanks!

As in coop? Or her playing/you watching/taking turns? Good PC coop games are always hard to find.

daydream

Banned

A number of excellent indie couch games came out in the last few months, but they're probably not in the price range you're looking for? The Yawhg is one of the cheaper ones I can think of, sitting at 10$. Totally worth it. 'ibb & obb' is a good one if you have a PS3, also ten bucks. Same goes for 'Tales from Space: About a Blob' which is a bit cheaper. The usual suspects (Samurai Gunn, Towerfall, Nidhogg) are all 15$ at the moment.

Museum of Parallel Art is a short and interesting experimental game you could try out.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
A number of excellent indie couch games came out in the last few months, but they're probably not in the price range you're looking for? The Yawhg is one of the cheaper ones I can think of, sitting at 10$. Totally worth it. 'ibb & obb' is a good one if you have a PS3, also ten bucks. Same goes for 'Tales from Space: About a Blob' which is a bit cheaper. The usual suspects (Samurai Gunn, Towerfall, Nidhogg) are all 15$ at the moment.

Museum of Parallel Art is a short and interesting experimental game you could try out.

Wow, great suggestions. Yeah, Museum of Parallel Art is lovely and The Yawhg is probably most in line with what you might be looking for. I cant quite imagine that he wants to play Nidhogg and the likes "casually" with his girlfriend though.

daydream

Banned
Wow, great suggestions. Yeah, Museum of Parallel Art is lovely and The Yawhg is probably most in line with what you might be looking for. I cant quite imagine that he wants to play Nidhogg and the likes "casually" with his girlfriend though.

I dunno, the mechanics aren't that intricate, and 'casual' is a question of mindset, anyhow, e.g. are you playing to do perform well or just enjoying a second layer of interactivity while having a good time talking, laughing, drinking, etc. That's how I feel about it, anyway, but I see your point, of course. :p

The other games need more love, in any case! Let us know what you settle on, daycru.

Toma

I dunno, the mechanics aren't that intricate, and 'casual' is a question of mindset, anyhow, e.g. are you playing to do perform well or just enjoying a second layer of interactivity while having a good time talking, laughing, drinking, etc. That's how I feel about it, anyway, but I see your point, of course. :p

Yeah, I was just trying to think what I could play with my girlfriend casually. She loved the Yawhg for 2-3 playthroughs, but Nidhogg would be nothing for her.

Btw, new Indie thread maybe up tomorrow. Work, Destiny of Spirits and a review I needed to do for my blog kept me from putting it up today.

May the Indie gods forgive me.

Yeah, I was just trying to think what I could play with my girlfriend casually. She loved the Yawhg for 2-3 playthroughs, but Nidhogg would be nothing for her.

Btw, new Indie thread maybe up tomorrow. Work, Destiny of Spirits and a review I needed to do for my blog kept me from putting it up today.

WtoEZkr.png

Always remember that :p

You know, Toma, you might have posted that November Impulse thread a few months too early, would have been cool for April 1st

Toma

WtoEZkr.png

Always remember that :p

You know, Toma, you might have posted that November Impulse thread a few months too early, would have been cool for April 1st

Yeah, I was considering doing it for april but I was in the mood to do it back then, and I dont have the time for it right now to take care of making people understand what I am trying to do with a joke thread :p

Maybe next year, or maybe a Santa themed one this year, or who knows. Whenever I find the time.

Are you done with the games in OP?

Nope, hopefully finishing it by tomorrow.

Ok, then I'll post this one:

Krautscape - $7.99 (PC/Mac)
ss_d238ba906ade4d9bc476f913c332f520bb963d5c.1920x1080.jpg

LINK
Krautscape is an action-packed racing game with bird-like flying cars, focused on competitive multiplayer gameplay. The leading player actively builds the racetrack while the chasing players can take shortcuts by flying off the track to overcome obstacles

Toma

The Indie Game Reality TV Show That Went To Hell
GAF discussion: Indie Statik: The Most Expensive Game Jam In History Crashed And Burned In A Day

Something IndieGAF might be interested in. It's fascinating, uplifting, and pathetic all at the same time. Great to see indie devs stand up for their passion

Speaking of uplifting... I am actually kinda disappointed that they didnt already bail at this ridiculous Mountain Dew advertisement. Mountain Dew basically stood out as a metaphor for everything wrong with gaming journalism last year, yet they willingly agreed to advertise it?

daydream

Banned
GAF discussion: Indie Statik: The Most Expensive Game Jam In History Crashed And Burned In A Day

Something IndieGAF might be interested in. It's fascinating, uplifting, and pathetic all at the same time. Great to see indie devs stand up for their passion

Watching the big dogs slowly realising that they can't have their way with (indie) devs as easily as they're used to is amusing. Good job to the indies involved!

I'm currently playing Waking Mars and I can understand why it received so many votes in one of the early indie threads. The game is an alien gardening simulator where you play as an Astrobiologist exploring Mars caves.

Mistly of the time wheb you enter a new area there is a "barrier" that only allows you to pass once you reach a certain value of biomass in the area, and to raise the biomass you have to plant "seeds", and it's very rewarding when you're able to create a bioma that work by itself, the plants sprouting seeds, the critters eating these seeds and reproducing and the cycle goes on.

I really recommend to play this game if you own and is gathering virtual dust in your backlog.

I'm currently playing Waking Mars and I can understand why it received so many votes in one of the early indie threads. The game is an alien gardening simulator where you play as an Astrobiologist exploring Mars caves.

Mistly of the time wheb you enter a new area there is a "barrier" that only allows you to pass once you reach a certain value of biomass in the area, and to raise the biomass you have to plant "seeds", and it's very rewarding when you're able to create a bioma that work by itself, the plants sprouting seeds, the critters eating these seeds and reproducing and the cycle goes on.

I really recommend to play this game if you own and is gathering virtual dust in your backlog.
Great experience, and to think it started as an IOS game :p

I did read it last night and I can't express how stupid it was. It could be better if it was a docummentary about a game jam instead a reality show.

I'm curious does Pepsi try to push Mountain Dew as the gamer's drink?

Toma

Still working on the thread, and going through the voting lists, you guys really should have tried Cubesis. I am a bit saddened that no one gave it a try as its really refreshingly original and interesting.

Maybe that guy wants to come over to us at one point if he actually wants to talk about stuff instead of only listing it in a thread barely anyone gives any attention to. I tried my hands at indie list threads SO many times, it simply doesnt work. Best of luck to him, but its almost a miracle our indie threads are alive and healthy here.

Toma

Link of the new thread posted above, this thread is now CLOSED.

Please forward any comment or impression to the april thread.

Wow this game looks awesome. Currently in greenlight. Def a vote from me.

MIND: Path to Thalamus

First Person Puzzler that throws you into a fantastic and surreal environment. You will bend the natural elements to your will in order to progress in this emotive, mindbending tale.

Top Bottom