• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [February] Now Voting - Post 556!

titch

Couple of games mentioned in the OP Just Get Through and Drive to Hell have just been bundled over at bundlestars. Recently released Bit Evolution is there too.

Phawx

My Let's Play of Grimoire: Manastorm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEDgjI5sEpo

PtQ8oEg.gif

Quick Impressions:: Early Access game that is playable but needs balancing. Essentially, it's Mage Combat. When you start, you pick a discipline (Earth, Fire, Lightning, Etc) and then go out and do combat. The mode of the game is, right now, determined by the server list. FFA and Capture the Hill are the two that I've had some time with. Spells are limited and align to Short/Medium/Fierce standard in fighting games/brawlers. There is a method of dashing quickly called Manastep that requires and consumes mana but greatly increases the pace of the game. Unfortunately, the fun factor is directly proportional to the population playing the game. When I played with a friend, we had a good time, but it would have been a better time had more people been playing​

My Let's Play of Barbarian Brawl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMTnA3nyLbU

HcSXl0B.gif

Quick Impressions: Third-person melee combat game with a heavy emphasis on traps. Entering into a multiplayer match is nice and easy with each arena being able to host up to 20 people. Killing barbarians gives you ham. Killing them many times without dying gives you yet more ham. You use ham to unlock characters and weapons and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. For me, the strongest point of the game is that you can force your opponent on to traps just via your own movement. It's pretty interesting in terms of a multiplayer mechanic. But again, really needs a bunch of people to be interesting.​

My Let's Play of Musclecar Online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hMWe1Wp4I4

sOmYz0B.gif

Quick Impressions: From the video and stills I saw of this game, I was honestly hoping for an online Championship Sprint arcade racer meets Muscle Cars. Unfortunately, at least as far as I can see, (barring any updates) the only multiplayer aspect to the game is downloading other players ghost data and racing against them. I suppose the interesting thing is that you only download ghost data after having done a single lap with a specific car. Once they have that data, they essentially pit you against ghosts that have a similar time as you did and you race against those ghosts.

It was a little bit of a let down. Overall the game controls pretty well, although the 360 controller's analog seems to get half registered, so I had to opt for keyboard input only. It does a good job of feeling like old Sprint games but only racing against ghosts is unfortunate.​

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I am throwing Indie Games Live at PAX East in a few weeks and I have a few open spots for indie dev game submissions. Last November, I threw the first incarnation of the event at GDC Next with an indie developer (YummyYummyTummy) from LA helping coordinate and plan, so we intend on throwing a couple events a year to support indie games and networking between the industry.

I will be providing PAX East pass or two to devs that would like to attend PAX East, if they aren't already. We will most likely be livestreaming a handful of games from the GungHo booth during the day at PAX East as another marketing opportunity for devs.

If you are interested, feel free to PM me and also submit your game through the form on the website. We have 15 great devs thus far and have a few slots open, so hope to see a few GAFers at the event. Last year Feep and a few others had their games at Indie Games Live at GDC Next.

Feep

Banned
I am throwing Indie Games Live at PAX East in a few weeks and I have a few open spots for indie dev game submissions. Last November, I threw the first incarnation of the event at GDC Next with an indie developer (YummyYummyTummy) from LA helping coordinate and plan, so we intend on throwing a couple events a year to support indie games and networking between the industry.

I will be providing PAX East pass or two to devs that would like to attend PAX East, if they aren't already. We will most likely be livestreaming a handful of games from the GungHo booth during the day at PAX East as another marketing opportunity for devs.

If you are interested, feel free to PM me and also submit your game through the form on the website. We have 15 great devs thus far and have a few slots open, so hope to see a few GAFers at the event. Last year Feep and a few others had their games at Indie Games Live at GDC Next.
I won't be able to attend, but I had a great time demoing at the Indie Games Live last year in Los Angeles! I highly recommend other indie devs check it out.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I won't be able to attend, but I had a great time demoing at the Indie Games Live last year in Los Angeles! I highly recommend other indie devs check it out.

Best of luck with your launch in the coming weeks! Watched the GT video and your title continues to look impressive.

An indie PSN brawler from 2013 that went so under-the-radar it wasn't even listed under the indie section on the Playststation Store. Just discovered yesterday, because the devs launched a Kickstarter to bring an enhanced, expanded version to PC. Worth a spot in the thread?

Strength of the Sword 3 - $4.99 (PSN)
4.png

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/strength-of-the-sword-3-ps3/

It's YOU vs THE GAME! No holds barred! No quarter given!
And in this game, as in real life, one thing is certain - YOU. WILL. FALL....AGAIN and AGAIN!
But the measure of a person's Strength is not how many times he falls, but how many times he can Get Back Up!

Splasher - Fun 2D platformer that has some inspiration from Super Mario Sunshine, you have a "weapon" that shoots liquids and this way you can interact with the objects in the world, be it ink spilled on the levels, enemies and etc. The style looks like a mix of Fancy Pants and Battleblock Theather.
As a negative point I had to expend quite some time to configuring the controls to it work on keyboard.

Splasher - Fun 2D platformer that has some inspiration from Super Mario Sunshine, you have a "weapon" that shoots liquids and this way you can interact with the objects in the world, be it ink spilled on the levels, enemies and etc. The style looks like a mix of Fancy Pants and Battleblock Theather.
As a negative point I had to expend quite some time to configuring the controls to it work on keyboard.
Need to use a controller for the best experience

Moobabe

Huh, reminds me of Dust Force a little. Btw, I think you should do a seperate topic for EA games.

The idea behind these threads was to give more exposure to games that would normally get very little - the same is true of many early access games.

The big ones get threads of their own - like Darkest Dungeon - whereas a lot of EA games fall by the wayside. I don't see splitting them away from these threads as particularly beneficial.

Altima

I really cannot love most of 3D indy games. Strenght of the Sword looks promising but I cannot really like it. (But I love the artwork.)

Altima

May I ask why you don't like 3D games? Have you seen Distance? Cloudbuilt? Wings of Saint Nazaire?

3D games usually give me an uneasy feeling. No matter it is AAA or indy games.

There are not many 3D games that I can come back to play it again and again.

I bought so many AAA games like Assassin Creed, Dark Soul, Demon's Soul, CoD, Bioshock or Dying light. I really want to play them at first but after I play them for quite sometimes I do not want to come back to play them again(usually play for only 3-5 hours each before I quit.). (Except game with friends to play with like Destiny or World of Warcraft.) Since I have been playing a lot of this kind of games I am quite sure that I'm not going to like it.

I usually prefer 2D platform or RPG over 3D action games.

Moobabe

Darkest Dungeon is really starting to annoy me - I'm all for difficult games but basing your difficulty around a random number generator seems a really cheap way to do it.

It feels like game is boiling down to: dodge chance vs hit chance, normal hit vs crit chance. That's it.

Altima

Darkest Dungeon is really starting to annoy me - I'm all for difficult games but basing your difficulty around a random number generator seems a really cheap way to do it.

It feels like game is boiling down to: dodge chance vs hit chance, normal hit vs crit chance. That's it.

It is quite manageable but quite annoying at the same time.

4 monsters keep attacking only one heroes and she died in one turn. Monster crit for 60 % of my heroes health + poison him and he died in a turn later because of that poison.

The game is not hard if you are lucky but very hard if you are not.

SerTapTap

What happened to the name anyway? Too hard to pronounce?

Yeah, it's a quality game, but the random rolls are extreme and it doesn't feel like Isaac where skill eventually invalidates almost all luck. Some skills are extremely annoying in terms of hit/crit rolls, some enemies can be hell due to bad RNG (those stupid ectoplasms, I had them spawn faster than I could kill them), the whole going mad vs getting courageous thing. I don't think it's for me but I enjoyed taking it for a spin.

Secretion - PC, Mac, Linux
CAogWLA.jpg

http://www.underverse.org

Secretion is an action strategy game presented in third-person perspective. The game is set in the dangerous Underverse. Evolving, scavenging for loot and crafting upgrades helps you defeat the hordes of your Foes and other Planets.
Then comes The Plague - even more lethal and deadly, so you have to take care of your home planet.
Find Artefacts to boost your abilities, to produce, manufacture and manage your planet ecosystem.
You will need to make use of all your skills and any available means to survive in The Underverse.

Exposure - PC, Mac, Linux
exposure5.png

http://thesheepsmeow.com/press/sheet.php?p=EXPOSURE

EXPOSURE is a game of remaining invisible to both yourself and to your predators. Get in a state of flow with an elegant camouflage mechanic, dynamic difficulty, branching levels, and generative soundscapes, with a different experience each time you play.

Moobabe

Interstellar Marines is even better than I thought.

Realistic difficulty. Co-op. Pitch black. SIlencers on.

This.

Game.

The idea behind these threads was to give more exposure to games that would normally get very little - the same is true of many early access games.

The big ones get threads of their own - like Darkest Dungeon - whereas a lot of EA games fall by the wayside. I don't see splitting them away from these threads as particularly beneficial.
Well I feel like they may get forgotten until release though. I feel like there should be a place for games that are out and ready to be bought.
On the side note, Escapists is out and it is getting pretty good reviews!

Remember CrossCode? Getting an IndieGoGo on the 28th
tumblr_nhczfmLREV1si4jeeo3_500.gif

Well I feel like they may get forgotten until release though. I feel like there should be a place for games that are out and ready to be bought.
On the side note, Escapists is out and it is getting pretty good reviews!
There are. The more popular ones get OTs or release threads, while others are discuss here or the Steam thread. Trust me, I make more than my fair share of threads for indie games

Obligatory "Tiny & Big is on a $1 sale again and everybody who doesnt own it yet and wants to play an interesting and unique Indie game DEFINITELY needs to buy it"-post:
https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/tiny-and-big-grandpas-leftovers/205910
I just got it, too late in the night to try it. Don't tell me it is sandbox only...
It is quite manageable but quite annoying at the same time.

4 monsters keep attacking only one heroes and she died in one turn. Monster crit for 60 % of my heroes health + poison him and he died in a turn later because of that poison.

The game is not hard if you are lucky but very hard if you are not.
Yeah this is what put me off from buying it or Sunless sea, I hate random-ness in games.

titch

There are. The more popular ones get OTs or release threads, while others are discuss here or the Steam thread. Trust me, I make more than my fair share of threads for indie games

Saw that on the steam thread made by a friend of a gaffer

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151572803&postcount=5482

Don't forget to hit that greenlight button folks :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=390285073&searchtext=Crosscode

Played the early parts of the demo - defo one to look out for!!!

F-Pina

This is just too awesome!!!

So the guys at Imago Softworks, creators of Starr Mazer, have been working hard to get their awesome game funded on Kickstarter. Don is the man behind this thing and he also has an account here on Gaf.
I backed the game as soon as I saw it because, come on! It looks AWESOME and I love the idea of a "Point-and-Click Adventure Shoot 'em Up"!

Some pics from the Kickstarter.

167367cc89cf715222fadab4559b7cd6_large.gif
7fba9df1ed0bdea8055e513672c4b07e_large.gif

Anyway, I was so happy to see these guys working on this that I send an email to congratulate and to also geek-out a bit and ask if there was any way possible to get a cross-over and get one of our characters in their game.
And they loved the idea!

So now, after some work here it is...
...the most AWESOME RETRO SPACE CROSSOVER EVER!!!

f6f57d3555d019fea98e583e70af471e_large.png

And Detective Case, where he will be in the game, talking to some bored pilot at the bar.
8389e9b4117f399c90cf863aa60cb22c_large.gif

Looking good!

So the guys at Imago Softworks, creators of Starr Mazer, have been working hard to get their awesome game funded on Kickstarter. Don is the man behind this thing and he also has an account here on Gaf.
I backed the game as soon as I saw it because, come on! It looks AWESOME and I love the idea of a "Point-and-Click Adventure Shoot 'em Up"!

167367cc89cf715222fadab4559b7cd6_large.gif
7fba9df1ed0bdea8055e513672c4b07e_large.gif

Anyway, I was so happy to see these guys working on this that I send an email to congratulate and to also geek-out a bit and ask if there was any way possible to get a cross-over and get one of our characters in their game.
And they loved the idea!

f6f57d3555d019fea98e583e70af471e_large.png

And Detective Case, where he will be in the game, talking to some bored pilot at the bar.
8389e9b4117f399c90cf863aa60cb22c_large.gif

That's cool

Altima

And they loved the idea!

The game looks so great. Maybe the best pixal art I have ever see but $160,000 is quite a lot to ask for.

bokkengro

Neo Member
Ohn0 - Free (Browser, iOS, Android, Windows Phone)
47W4x5m.png

http://www.0hn0.com/

From the creator of 0hh1, a logic puzzle game inspired by Kuromasu. Uncover a grid of red and blue dots. Blue dots have numbers indicating how many other blue dots they can see in their own row or column. Red dots block the view.

Top Bottom