• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [February] Now Voting - Post 556!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Did you post Avernum impressions, Toma? I don't recall any. I'm interested in the series since it's one of the few old-school RPGs that are also on iPad. I already have Baldur's Gate on iPad so I was wondering if Avernum is worth checking out

I didnt post anything, because I'd rave about any Spiderweb RPG and I havent played the the Avernum 2 Remake yet. I did however play the original Avernum games and the Remake of the first Avernum game, so I am going to cheat here and include it on my top spot nonetheless. I know, not best practice, but those games are just so full of lore, detail, depth and content, its hard not to gush about them. Also its fucking hard to play all of those games in a single lifetime :p

But yea, Avernum 1 Remake is on iPad too I suppose? Definitely grab that. (Or Avadon, which is a new-ish game by the developer).

Moobabe

Interstellar Marines is currently free for the next few days on Steam and on sale for about £4.

It's early access but it's really damn good. It's the closest FPS I've played the Shattered Horizon, not something I say lightly.

I didnt post anything, because I'd rave about any Spiderweb RPG and I havent played the the Avernum Remake yet. I did however play the original Avernum games and the Remake of the first Avernum game, so I am going to cheat here and include it on my top spot nonetheless. I know, not best practice, but those games are just so full of lore, detail, depth and content, its hard not to gush about them. Also its fucking hard to play all of those games in a single lifetime :p

But yea, Avernum 1 Remake is on iPad too I suppose? Definitely grab that. (Or Avadon, which is a new-ish game by the developer).
I'm not sure if it's the first game. The Spiderweb games on iPad are:
- Avernum: Escape from the Pit
- Avernum 6
- Avadon: The Black Fortress
- Avadon 2: The Corruption

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm not sure if it's the first game. The Spiderweb games on iPad are:
- Avernum: Escape from the Pit
- Avernum 6
- Avadon: The Black Fortress
- Avadon 2: The Corruption

Escape from the first is the remake of the first game from his older popular series Avernum and Avadon is a completely new game series created in the past few years. Those games are quite heavy and dense, might not be be a bad idea to start with Avadon first since its a tad more... streamlined and easier, but both are fantastic and will floor you if you just want an RPG and didnt even know before that these games existed.

Escape from the first is the remake of the first game from his older popular series Avernum and Avadon is a completely new game series created in the past few years. Those games are quite heavy and dense, might not be be a bad idea to start with Avadon first since its a tad more... streamlined and easier, but both are fantastic and will floor you if you just want an RPG and didnt even know before that these games existed.
You dare question my gamer cred?
/s

Sounds good. Wishlisted for sure now

Toma

You dare question my gamer cred?
/s

Sounds good. Wishlisted for sure now

Just trying to save your own sanity here. The first time I played the Geneforge (his best series, unfortunately not on iPad yet) games I fell into a massive black hole and didnt crawl out of it until 2 weeks had passed.

Toma

Interstellar Marines is currently free for the next few days on Steam and on sale for about £4.

It's early access but it's really damn good. It's the closest FPS I've played the Shattered Horizon, not something I say lightly.
Is it free or is it on sale?!

In my personal experience, 15 minutes isn't much time to get a feeling for what a game has to offer.

I beg to differ. In this instance I feel like it is. I will play a bit more but really, in the crowded fps genre the game has to have something special to stand out.

I beg to differ. In this instance I feel like it is. I will play a bit more but really, in the crowded fps genre the game has to have something special to stand out.
IMO, a game usually takes some time to build up and present that core mechanic/gameplay/story/etc that makes it stand out. 15 minutes in most games, you're barely out of the tutorial, if not still on the tutorial.

Moobabe

I don't think so - there's still scope within genres to just nail simple mechanics well. Not every game needs tick boxes like "This year we'll have jetpacks!" to be "innovative"

I don't think so - there's still scope within genres to just nail simple mechanics well. Not every game needs tick boxes like "This year we'll have jetpacks!" to be "innovative"
Look at Hotline Miami and Super Hexagon. They don't exactly reinvent the wheel in their genres, but instead just deliver finely-tuned well-crafted lighting-fast gameplay.

daydream

Banned

Unless I'm forgetting something, Superhot is the only FPS to look forward to at the moment.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Superhot is the only FPS to look forward to at the moment.
Don't forget SCALE

woRP85J.jpg

Moobabe

Well, it really does look very generic but I haven't played it so I can't pass judgement either way. At least it stands out a little bit by virtue of being a tactical FPS.

Screenshots don't really do it justice - it's really gorgeous. The pace is amazing though; it's such a quiet and deliberate game. Each of the levels is dynamic both in geography, weather and lighting forcing changes in tactics from players as well. It's a really intelligently designed game.

Gotta admit, this is the first time I've ever heard anything positive about Interstellar Marines, although some of the criticisms might have been problems during the early access stage and been ironed out now. Might give it a download now, I've had it on my steam account for an age from some long forgotten bundle.

On the subject of steam FPS games, Time Rifters is on sale and has a demo out right now. I've only played it for about 30 minutes but it seem well worth that tiny price if you are in any way up for arcady score based FPS meets kinda logic puzzle game and memory test. Probably the only game so far in my life I've ever wanted to high five a past version of myself.

Moobabe

Gotta admit, this is the first time I've ever heard anything positive about Interstellar Marines, although some of the criticisms might have been problems during the early access stage and been ironed out now. Might give it a download now, I've had it on my steam account for an age from some long forgotten bundle.

On the subject of steam FPS games, Time Rifters is on sale and has a demo out right now. I've only played it for about 30 minutes but it seem well worth that tiny price if you are in any way up for arcady score based FPS meets kinda logic puzzle game and memory test. Probably the only game so far in my life I've ever wanted to high five a past version of myself.

Pylon is another advocate of Interstellar Marines - and he's probably much better at explaining why he loves it.

titch

Bonus GAF threads:

Geneforge Deal thread I made:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494755
Avadon OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429117
Avernum OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469890

Technomancer is the hero we Spiderweb deserves.

Btw, these games were premium products back in the day. I think they could be purchased for 35-40$ per game 10-15 years ago.

Was so going to pull the trigger on the first remake in the winter sale but changed my mind at the last minute. Will give the threads a good look - might help sway me towards them now.

Single player co-op?! What the hell?!

Single player co-op?! What the hell?!

Basically the game throws you into an arena where you have to shoot all these targets within a time limit. However their is no way you can achieve this with just one run through so you do the best you can and then the arena rewinds and you get a second chance except this new life is fighting alongside the recording of your previous attempt. You can end up with four versions of yourself fighting at the same time.

yanim

Neo Member
Red Goddess - April 2015 (PC, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Vita)

Red Goddess: Inner World
divine-and-child-platform-1024x576.jpg

bridge-on-the-jungle.jpg

fighting-with-golem-peq.jpg

www.redgoddessgame.com

Red Goddess is a nonlinear side-scroller with platform and combat situations in an adventure to explore the inner-mind of a Young Goddess with the objective of remembering and recovering her own powers.

In Red Goddess, you play as a troubled deity named Divine, who feels confused and haunted by her past. she is in imminent danger, Something mysterious and unknown is tearing her apart from the inside out, destroying her mind, her soul. To save herself, she must explore her own mind and the planet that exists within it. This exploration is fraught with impediments and obstacles. The journey begins when Divine decides to right this wrong by exploring her own subconscious, where she will discover a planet within her own mind made up of mountains, forests, caves and perils unknown.It’s a journey with combo-based combat, classic puzzles and some nifty platforming elements.

Greetings and thank you for your support!!

Not yet released game:

Red Goddess: Inner World
Hey, welcome to the thread! It was great seeing RG get funded on its second go

You might want to shorten that description down to the first paragraph or so. It's kind of long

Also the top part should be:

Toma has a bot that puts together the OP posts so it helps him if they're formatted

yanim

Neo Member
Hey, welcome to the thread! It was great seeing RG get funded on its second go

You might want to shorten that description down to the first paragraph or so. It's kind of long

Also the top part should be:

Toma has a bot that puts together the OP posts so it helps him if they're formatted

Thanks for your comment, just done! TY

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm really liking Interstellar Marines' mish-mash of F.E.A.R. and AVP2000 aesthetics with a slower, more deliberate Rainbow Six style pacing. The map we played on was a small complex in a biodome, with some manner of mechanical "sun" which changed position at random. Sometimes the lighting differences would hinder our ability to see at all, which forced us to use our flashlights or move to another location on the map. At one point, the entire complex lost power and a thunderstorm kicked up. The thunder and rain made it difficult to make out the more distant robotic servo whines, giving us a few nasty surprises. As a co-op game, it was something I think my group would enjoy quite a bit, but...

...well, as it is an Early Access title, there's a lot of features missing. Particularly frustrating for us is the lack of ability to host your own game and change the map at will. They only have so many servers hosted, and every server seems to be stuck on a map. Which is really unfortunate, since we wanted to see the 7 different scenarios before we came to a consensus. To throw an additional layer of confusion into the mix, the server pings are not properly representative. It is actually adding the ping between you and the server to the server's ping to the master server in the Netherlands. That's... really weird.

It could be good, even potentially a great co-op game like Contagion turned out to be. It just has a very, very long road ahead of it before I could recommend throwing down at the full price. $6 isn't bad though, while it's on the weeklong deal.

Kitbash

"Early Access" is such an awkward label for Interstellar Marines, since they've been working on it for ~10 years. I hope they can finish the game before it finishes them.

Mind if I share my Dark Echo impressions? Game needs more attention, it's easily my favorite IOS release of 2015 so far. This is how you build off a game jam project
What do you envision when you think "horror game"? The jump scares of Five Nights and Slender? The otherworldly dread of Silent Hill? Or perhaps the nightmarish monstrosities of Dead Space and The Evil Within? The recently released Dark Echo boasts the most minimalist of visuals, instead conjuring horror from the unknown and unseen and an atmospheric soundscape.

Massively expanded and improved from the developer's Ludum Dare entry You Must Escape, Dark Echo is a sound-based horror game. While that may sound similar to other IOS games like Papa Sangre and The Nightjar, Dark Echo is very much a visual experience while those were audio-only. A black screen, with your white footprints the only color amid the surrounding dark. Every level in Dark Echo begins this way. Move forward and lines emanate in all directions, the sound of your footsteps visualized, bouncing off the walls and revealing the environment. Without sound, you are blind. Your goal is simply to find the exit. However, that task is easier said than done, because you are not alone in these passages. Things lurk in the darkness, drawn by the sound of your movement. Hunting you.

rdr2viK.gif

What's most impressive about Dark Echo is how it builds on its core mechanic of seeing through sound. The beginning levels lay the foundation: walk around to reveal the surrounding, stomp to send out a larger wave of sound that lets you see more of the level. Soon you're introduced to the creatures that are attracted by sound, followed by the fact that you can tap slowly to take soft silent steps and throw stones as distractions, turning Dark Echo into a tense game of cat and mouse where sound is your only means of sight. Water that amplifies your footsteps and slows your movement, switches, crushing walls, deadly terrain, and more add to the challenge and complexity of later levels.

nXIglTD.gif

Dark Echo is a masterful execution of minimalist design. Each step is tense, drawing you forward through the necessity of sight and the need to explore. The visuals, stark lines contrasting against black, are simplistic yet work so well, reminiscent of splattering paint to reveal the world in The Unfinished Swan. But it's the sound design that truly sells the game's atmosphere. Your footsteps, hollow against stone and squishing against undergrowth. The guttural growls of those things lurking in the dark. Water splashing and sloshing, or dripping overhead. Flies buzzing in agitated swarms, croaking frogs. Heavy locks and groaning doors.

Listen to the game's advice and play this with headphones, in the dark, alone.

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
Another Somerville GIF
That laser is just perfection! I can't stop starring.

Shelter 2 will be released in 4 weeks.
Was super excited to see this in my inbox earlier. After being pushed back two/three (more?) times, it's great to finally get a solid release date (at least I'm praying it's solid).

Disclaimer: I havent played the game yet.

I found this really interesting (and I think Baddy even mentioned it in the blurb that I put in the OP). I am going to make a thread about it since I really feel this idea deserves some more attention. I wanted to share what I found on it and I'll offload it here first to not forget about it.
I really love this idea, especially for games with great art design. I believe Northway Games was the first to do it for Deep Under the Sky. I remember sending them a poem I wrote about the life of a space jellyfish, which I didn't really think was worth a key but they seemed to like it. Would love to see more developers doing stuff like this.

Has it been updated a lot in the last 6 months? I played it for a few hours with some friends and...wasn't impressed. I haven't kept up with what sort of progress it's had lately though so maybe it's gotten better.

"Early Access" is such an awkward label for Interstellar Marines, since they've been working on it for ~10 years. I hope they can finish the game before it finishes them.

Now I know why this game sounded so familiar for me, I remember playing a browser version focused on challenges on kongregate.com

Mr. Virus

Mind if I share my Dark Echo impressions? Game needs more attention, it's easily my favorite IOS release of 2015 so far. This is how you build off a game jam project

As an audio person who loves this sort of thing I am super interested in this (did a similar thing about echo location in games for uni) You're link's dead though :(.

Also, only iOS?

Arthea

Just stopping in to say that Crystal Story II is great. I know it's not a new game but it released on steam recently and I'm afraid it will be overlooked by many. Not only it might be the best flash game ever, it's fun and funny and has lots to offer: fishing, crafting, alchemy, classes and interesting advancing system, pets, defence minigame, hacking minigame, cards! minigame.
I'm having a blast with it and seemingly can't stop playing.

I need to mention that it's really cheap too, so, give it a chance if you haven't yet.

Crystal Story II - $2.99 (Win, Mac)
ss_fed1a4dadcfcd2150e59f6b1aedcdfcd11888085.jpg

Steam

Crystal Story II is a turn-based RPG that follows the story of a young Dragon on his quest to defeat an evil witch. He must seek allies to aid him on his journey and save the world from the oncoming invasion.

Just stopping in to say that Crystal Story II is great. I know it's not a new game but it released on steam recently and I'm afraid it will be overlooked by many. Not only it might be the best flash game ever, it's fun and funny and has lots to offer: fishing, crafting, alchemy, classes and interesting advancing system, pets, defence minigame, hacking minigame, cards! minigame.
I'm having a blast with it and seemingly can't stop playing.

I need to mention that it's really cheap too, so, give it a chance if you haven't yet.

I have read you praising this game a lot on the Steam thread so I might buy it on next month.

Arthea

Crystal Story II - $2.99 (Win, Mac)

I have read you praising this game a lot on the Steam thread so I might buy it on next month.

be warned, I just read that it takes more than 60 hours to finish! Dunno what's with longass games and me, I can't stay away from those (><)
Also it might be not true, hopefully, otoh if it stays as fun as last 10 hours, I welcome 60 hours of fun.

Toma

be warned, I just read that it takes more than 60 hours to finish! Dunno what's with longass games and me, I can't stay away from those (><)
Also it might be not true, hopefully, otoh if it stays as fun as last 10 hours, I welcome 60 hours of fun.

Did you play any of the Spiderweb games? If no, why not? If yes, how did you like them?

This is what I need, more long games that I never finish. xD

Altima

Very entertaining and fun to play, however its also not terribly deep. I might suggest waiting for a deeper sale, $5 sounds about right to me.

Also, I made the thread for Pay by Art:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=989156

Thank you, I'm going to wait then.

Still have Oblitus that Baddy recommend and There came and ECHO (that made by Gaffer if I remember correctly??) to buy this month.

Woof ! How can I miss this game ! it looks so good and have plan to come out this month. (Video in Steam explains it better than screenshots.)

Aaru's Awakening -- http://store.steampowered.com/app/294060/

header.jpg

ss_eb69b25f519114ec3b4f4e8d428c9f3ef5fd9eab.600x338.jpg

ss_a3d31ec9cb2a0aefb42c4dfb259c444b75bee2f0.600x338.jpg

Top Bottom