• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [December] Now Voting - Post 741!

Gazoinks

Just beat Steamworld Dig, it's a definite GOTY contender for me. There is just something very satisfying about digging games.

It sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out. Love Metroidvanias. Anyone played the 3ds version? Is good?

Also wanna pick up Starbound at some point. I didn't get that into Terrarria, but it looks much more appealing to me.

It sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out. Love Metroidvanias. Anyone played the 3ds version? Is good?

Also wanna pick up Starbound at some point. I didn't get that into Terrarria, but it looks much more appealing to me.
If you do get Starbound, I'd hold off till the second beta phase. I'm enjoying it a lot and I already put 7 hours in (barely scratched the surface) but there's a lot of tweaking and additions to come and we have to deal with character and world wipes due to updates

Gazoinks

If you do get Starbound, I'd hold off till the second beta phase. I'm enjoying it a lot and I already put 7 hours in (barely scratched the surface) but there's a lot of tweaking and additions to come and we have to deal with character and world wipes due to updates

I may or may not wait till full release. I really like participating in early development for games, but in Don't Starve I got burned out before release even happened and I don't really want that to happen again.

I may or may not wait till full release. I really like participating in early development for games, but in Don't Starve I got burned out before release even happened and I don't really want that to happen again.
I read in the Starbound thread, that at this point, even without all the content, the amount of planets in visit reach into the quadrillions. I've been to two. In seven hours. And I'm not even close to fully exploring either one

So I think it'll be a lot harder to get burned out here than in Don't Starve, IMO

So I've just purchased One Way Heroics... the download has been going for nearly 3 hours now and it won't go any higher than like 1.2kb/s, and it's just randomly cancelled itself a few times as well.

The world doesn't want me to play this game :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I've just purchased One Way Heroics... the download has been going for nearly 3 hours now and it won't go any higher than like 1.2kb/s, and it's just randomly cancelled itself a few times as well.

The world doesn't want me to play this game :(

You download it from Playism right? I just tried myself and the dl works fine for me. Maybe try a different browser/different pc?

F-Pina

You guys forgot our game, again! :)
Detective Case and Clown Bot in Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - comes out tomorrow.
NeoGAF OT

screenshot_anim_05.gif

Toma? Hello? You haven't checked your messages dude :(
Please add us to the OP of games that came out in December.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma? Hello? You haven't checked your messages dude :(
Please add us to the OP of games that came out in December.

We usually only add games released in a month for the NEXT month. So games released on December 4th, would technically go into the january thread. It saves me a lot of time to not check the thread X times during the month to add stuff.

As much as I'd like it to keep it updated, its not feasible for me. Besides, its sort of unfair for the game included later since it means immediately less exposure than the other games which have been added on the first day of the thread. The game should get more exposure in the january thread.

So yeah, sorry. I spend enough time on this thread as is, and would like to avoid making more work for myself.

F-Pina

We usually only add games released in a month for the NEXT month. So games released on December 4th, would technically go into the january thread. It saves me a lot of time to not check the thread X times during the month to add stuff.

As much as I'd like it to keep it updated, its not feasible for me. Besides, its sort of unfair for the game included later since it means immediately less exposure than the other games which have been added on the first day of the thread. The game should get more exposure in the january thread.

So yeah, sorry. I spend enough time on this thread as is, and would like to avoid making more work for myself.

Your work is great dude, don't think people don't appreciate what you are doing here. I personally check every month the indie threads here on gaf.
But shouldn't our game come up on the upcoming indie releases or just released?

Anyway, if it is the January thread then it is January, no worries.

Toma

Your work is great dude, don't think people don't appreciate what you are doing here. I personally check every month the indie threads here on gaf.
But shouldn't our game come up on the upcoming indie releases or just released?

Anyway, if it is the January thread then it is January, no worries.

Yeah, sorry about not being more clear about the rules. A few months ago I sorta set the rules we are working with so far, which are:

1. Games will be featured once in the upcoming section to make people aware of games. Usually the first time they are mentioned here.

2. Games will be included in the "released" section once they have a playable build which is available to play before I am posting the thread and someone else liked them enough to post about them here.

3. Games might be included a second time in the "released" section if their first mention (during earlier threads) was for an incomplete Beta/Alpha build and they are now fully released.

So basically, I didnt include you in the upcoming section because we already put the game in the upcoming section a few months ago.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242880/

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is 50% off on Steam...perfect time to jump in considering it just got a major patch a few days ago.

What has been added?

I dunno if I would recommend Starbound if you didn't get into Terraria. Starbound does improve on the basics on Terraria and contains a lot more interested systems layered on top if it. But the fundamentals are still fairly similar and the first few hours with both games is virtually identical. I haven't got that far but I imagine that Starbound could more becomes its own beast as you 'tech up' so to speak, but that could be many hours into the game itself.

Wok

Yeah, sorry about not being more clear about the rules. A few months ago I sorta set the rules we are working with so far, which are:

1. Games will be featured once in the upcoming section to make people aware of games. Usually the first time they are mentioned here.

2. Games will be included in the "released" section once they have a playable build which is available to play before I am posting the thread and someone else liked them enough to post about them here.

3. Games might be included a second time in the "released" section if their first mention (during earlier threads) was for an incomplete Beta/Alpha build and they are now fully released.

So basically, I didnt include you in the upcoming section because we already put the game in the upcoming section a few months ago.
Thanks for making these rules, it ensures the OT keeps its community vibe and gives a chance to every game.
You guys forgot our game, again! :)
Detective Case and Clown Bot in Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - comes out tomorrow.
NeoGAF OT

screenshot_anim_05.gif

This is a very nice OT.

rybrad

I dunno if I would recommend Starbound if you didn't get into Terraria. Starbound does improve on the basics on Terraria and contains a lot more interested systems layered on top if it. But the fundamentals are still fairly similar and the first few hours with both games is virtually identical. I haven't got that far but I imagine that Starbound could more becomes its own beast as you 'tech up' so to speak, but that could be many hours into the game itself.
I would tend to agree with this after the several hours I have invested in Starbound so far (almost 100 in Terraria as well). I know people love to make that ridiculous Minecraft and Terraria comparison but Starbound is a lot more similar to Terraria than Terraria is to Minecraft.

Mr. Bree+

Been playing this for a bit. Nine or ten levels in. It's pretty fun. The gameplay isn't hyper fast paced like SMB or Electronic Super Joy. The game also has a slight Metroidvania feel, as you gradually unlock a few new skills, allowing you to complete previous levels faster and gather special collectibles that you couldn't reach before. The first level, you can't even jump; now I've unlocked jumping, an accelerating run, and a duck move that let's you avoid obstacles.

Levels are well designed, with the usual assortment of spikes, saws, collapsing platforms, etc. The art style is nice and there are some cool touches that add to the game's aesthetic such as the background changing hues and colors or raining as the day progresses and text that displays Bree's thoughts as you advance through a level. Besides the main levels, there's also a set of hardcore levels that are unlocked by gathering those collectibles.

How was VGX btw? Didn't see it, was at a little cousin's birthday. Quantum Break or Witcher 3 gameplay?

They showed little to nothing about Quantum Break, what I got it's a cover based shooter with slow motion. I missed the Witcher 3 footage.

The games nominated for best indie game were:
  • Gone Home
  • KR0
  • Papers, Please!
  • The Stanley Parable

Gone Home was the winner and some people on the VGX OT were really mad (lol), IMO any of them could be worth choices, but I could choose Papers, Please! personally.

Bad and no on both.

No Man's Sky was game of show.

5cd3833c413e33ed2c3d5938d5c77487.jpeg

So true! I was speechless when the trailer started looks, and if Hello Games delivers what they are promising for this game it's going to be awesome.

RS4-

Folks, I need help ID'ing this game that I'm trying to remember.

Shmup, world war 2, side view, I think you're dodging fire from ships and other planes.

Just saw No Man's Sky, and then the talk with Sean Murray and Geoff. 4 guys HOLY SHIT!

star-trek-mind-blown.gif

https://twitter.com/hellogames/status/409495246691921920
Logo done by @mattdivito, music was done by 65daysofstatic, knew that track sounded familiar!!!

Why didn't they ask of how they achieved such ambition (even though we don't quite know the full in-game scope), and were able to bypass crowdfunding? These guys are in Guildford, UK, I could just knock on their door to ask them! XD

Oh, and just bought Deadlock, really cheap right now. Looks really fucking cool.

Toma

Just saw No Man's Sky, and then the talk with Sean Murray and Geoff. 4 guys HOLY SHIT!

star-trek-mind-blown.gif

Logo done by @mattdivito, music was done by 65daysofstatic, knew that track sounded familiar!!!

Why didn't they ask of how they achieved such ambition (even though we don't quite know the full in-game scope), and were able to bypass crowdfunding? These guys are in Guildford, UK, I could just knock on their door to ask them! XD

Oh, and just bought Deadlock, really cheap right now. Looks really fucking cool.

I sure wouldnt mind some more info/interview answers from them :p

star-trek-mind-blown.gif

Interested in your Deadlock impressions. I'd probably buy it too, but my gift cards don't work on Desura

And have you tried Overgrowth yet? What do you think?

Interested in your Deadlock impressions. I'd probably buy it too, but my gift cards don't work on Desura

And have you tried Overgrowth yet? What do you think?

I'll mostly be able to get back to playing games starting from next weekend, when holiday starts. Tomorrow is Sunday though, and I have revised for my methods and statistics mock test, so I could pop in a game of Overgrowth + Deadlock.

Have a question for you guys: are there any IOS games that you've played that you feel are comparable to PC indies? Some, well a lot of IOS games feel decidedly mobile quality, but I've found that others seem on par with games we see on the PC side of indies. Most of which I wish I could enjoy on PC as well. Not talking ports (World of Goo, Terraria) or games that started as browser games (Mini Dash, Continuity), but mobile exclusive titles

In that list, I'd include Penumbear, Badland, Jet Car Stunts, Incoboto, Don't Shoot Yourself
Probably others but those are the ones that stand out in my mind at the moment. And if any of you are also into IOS gaming, I highly recommend any of those titles.

Cross-post for Overgrowth, More_Badass!

Yay I finally got into the action of this super reflexive melee rabbit murder simulator!

ibpV1DkJEqg5FD.jpg

ifwETzcXH16oT.jpg

I love this little pirouette (B), but is there a point to it?
iLE7iBujKnpwy.gif

On the hunt...
iN3NdVXffGr2n.gif

Where can I get a hold of the parkour platforming maps, like Pianopolis?

Have a question for you guys: are there any IOS games that you've played that you feel are comparable to PC indies? Some, well a lot of IOS games feel decidedly mobile quality, but I've found that others seem on par with games we see on the PC side of indies. Most of which I wish I could enjoy on PC as well. Not talking ports (World of Goo, Terraria) or games that started as browser games (Mini Dash, Continuity), but mobile exclusive titles

In that list, I'd include Penumbear, Badland, Jet Car Stunts, Incoboto, Don't Shoot Yourself
Probably others but those are the ones that stand out in my mind at the moment. And if any of you are also into IOS gaming, I highly recommend any of those titles.

I really really want to play Year Walk (Giantbomb QL) but don't have an iPhone. And Remedy's new iOS game "Agents of Storm" looks damn cool.

Cross-post for Overgrowth, More_Badass!

I really really want to play Year Walk (Giantbomb QL) but don't have an iPhone. And Remedy's new iOS game "Agents of Storm" looks damn cool.
Responded in the OG thread
---
Haven't purchased Year Walk yet but I really want to get Device 6

Does Tetrobot&Co count ? I just discovered that the sequel to the fairly good Block That Matter release in total indifference.

ss_f8b2ed61b5106e1fa0dd7db4cd092a1cdb8d16cb.1024x768.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235980

And it got a really good review from RPS
Counts as an indie? Definitely. I enjoyed the game, although I would have prefered the platformer style of BTM over T&C pure puzzle focus

alllen

Neo Member
That's good. It's really not the game you can play in increments, so I found playing each update they released a little exhausting and boring. These are all good improvements too so I'm glad the game is on the right track.

That's good. It's really not the game you can play in increments, so I found playing each update they released a little exhausting and boring. These are all good improvements too so I'm glad the game is on the right track.

Agreed. The game has a pretty intriguing story so far, so it will be nice to play through it from start to finish without interruptions.

This isn't a new release, but Love's currently #72 on Steam Greenlight, so I want to try and push to get it in the January batch. The game's currently available on Desura, so I'm going to bribe you all to try and get some yes votes.

Here's 30 Desura Keys, redeemable here.
  • TXLOG-OZ2RA-3VT5N-YXFWW-5056W
  • QY9OO-JOW96-KWP3K-3NY9C-FBSJS
  • H3P2R-XCBXT-F8BSK-ROWP1-Y13ZQ
  • WHBUO-6YM5I-7WMHJ-JV7CS-Z7X9S
  • IQ5BT-6LJMY-9J0ZK-AYT9X-OZPR6
  • Q75UC-ZAWP8-Q5J2O-7OF73-1375S
  • WAW9F-NAS7X-Y9IAO-PB032-EK46L
  • HMQ3T-FU3XL-2IEAG-TISED-3KZXO
  • QK611-5OC0I-COIFK-ZP2XQ-GO1PR
  • WROSW-HOVEK-NCBBY-VJFNW-7344C
  • R0D2V-ZWRF7-L6H0Y-R2UV8-Y4VAX
  • KRZI0-IZQHS-FZJ63-ZFB0X-GCKAJ
  • OR9HX-XGLW1-9PCPA-LHPSB-2DJU8
  • OGWNR-CWE4C-4JPWV-M2SNS-IVTWW
  • ONS0E-4RD16-D8N54-SPEB3-WDINY
  • M7X3N-ES4K2-BGI4D-RYKQJ-V95J7
  • SZZE9-JC67D-HAJTK-MTCEE-THEX7
  • X8D0L-IQMZ7-QL5VB-WO39V-H7RI3
  • LHK4Z-LD3GQ-OR93A-J8Q76-5O4K9
  • PZ064-6S8CO-G46A2-E2UUB-9S8C7
  • NJ0ON-8LSRV-YF2G7-GDG5Q-TN7EG
  • M73H0-SVZN0-H9Z6A-XALXN-J9D8X
  • SW6C0-DRO30-VVL2L-7RF4B-1BPNW
  • X6EEG-DZ6NI-SCBX8-N2WKL-SB0RF
  • GCNAY-U8S0D-E0UZ5-EYINM-RH40A
  • WGPRK-1U3KM-BAPN7-DJMGH-APFUM
  • WSD0V-FL0LU-ETUPV-7SDFY-HCX0M
  • HIAA8-YWML8-LU241-VX6O7-JSOPN
  • QFVX5-QQ7XV-OGUZ7-5HUA9-ZZ117
  • T4O84-PVUCZ-7DQTW-CU2G0-J4WY7

I've also taken a screenshot of the current greenlight stats page. Give it a look if you're interested.

Twinduct

!!!
What! No way! Awesome

Edit: holy shit, 50,161 and their goal was 50K. Is that like the closest KS ever?

Yeah was really weird when I saw the text of a credit card charge from kickstarter in the morning. For a few mins I assumed something else I backed went through.

Gazoinks

This isn't a new release, but Love's currently #72 on Steam Greenlight, so I want to try and push to get it in the January batch. The game's currently available on Desura, so I'm going to bribe you all to try and get some yes votes.

I've also taken a screenshot of the current greenlight stats page. Give it a look if you're interested.

Awesome, thanks. I grabbed the first key in the list, I'll give it a spin, vote on Greenlight, and post my impressions.

Hofmann

http://www.indiedb.com/games/a-crimson-searchlight

The developer of this game sent me a tweet with a link to his game. I like his take on the concept of a Blade Runner inspired game, mixing it with Gone Home style investigative game-play is a wonderful fit. Much more interesting than my forced attempts to interject shooting gameplay into a narrative that didn't require it. Meh, hindsight is 20/20.

The detachment from the 'killing' seems like it may make the choices less meaningful, but it appears they're aware of that and have some sort of consequences system with investigations being related to each other.

It looks very promising, I definitely can't wait to hear more.

Yup, sounds tasty, looking forward to it.

Toma's modus operandi when creating those threads involves searching through the screens posted, so here are some for this game:

As a bonus bunch of Selected Screenshotsaturday Works:

Gnah - PC/Mac/probably others too
ihHoKkX.gif

NHMwW94.gif

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37481.0

It's puzzle game about a little guy trapped in some weird heads called Gnahs. By manipulating the heads in all sorts of ways, you'll be able the free your character from those mean creatures, or not.

The Cabin - PC
TheCabinScreenShot_-_07.jpg

http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-cabin

The Cabin will be a first person survival horror game for PC, featuring a dynamic storyline that will constantly adapt to the player’s actions, and a small open world to be explored. The most interesting part about “The Cabin” is the fact that players can experience a complete story and reach one of the game’s several endings without even getting close to the actual cabin.

The Silent Age Episode 2 - iPad
Ba4KwNoCYAIEUIO.png:large

http://thomasryder.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/the-silent-age/

Time traveling Point & Click adventures of an everyman guy called Joe, who's bound to save mankind from extinction.

Druids of Gemini - PC
BaxoIwDCQAAZx0x.png:large

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35674.0

RPG/Adventure Game set in a fantasy world, combining elements from clasic Squaresoft games with first person dungeon exploration.

mitheor

[*]PZ064-6S8CO-G46A2-E2UUB-9S8C7

Taken. Thanks!

I´ll try it tonight.

Macmanus

• PZ064-6S8CO-G46A2-E2UUB-9S8C7

Thanks kindly. Will vote and provide feedback accordingly.

Nice preview of No Man's Sky from RPS

It sounds a bit reminiscent of Mirrormoon, but taken up to 11, with a procedural generated universe and combat and no limits.

...is No Man’s Sky the first game without a skybox? If you’re standing on a planet’s surface and look up, every single dot in the sky is an actual star you can go visit. If you see a tree three miles away, you can walk to it and find out what’s underneath it.

Any planet you discover on your journey is marked on your galactic map, along with its name, its atmosphere and what resources you found there. If you choose to, you can then share that information with every other player, uploading it so that it’s shared across everyone’s galactic map.

You’ll get credit for discovering it. You’ll also, if the materials there are valuable, attract players to come visit. No Man’s Sky isn’t a multiplayer game, in as much as you’ll never see another player. But the galaxy is the same between everyone and actions of “significance” will be shared. If you kill a single bird, that won’t be shared. If you make an entire species of bird extinct, then those creatures will blink out of existence for everyone.

That means you might want to keep quiet about a planet of valuable resources, so others don’t come and deplete it. I also instantly start thinking of ways to be devious. Can I upload false information to the galactic map? Can I lure people to a system full of pirates and then, when their ships crash and burn, steal materials from their ghostly hulls?

Managed to get a pre-release build of Not The Robots, releasing on Steam this month. Here are my early impressions:

So NTR is essentially a stealth roguelike, where, rather than lurking through dungeon tunnels or planning turns, you're evading sentry bots, avoiding lasers, and myriad other hazards as you progress through procedurally generated floors. Your uni-wheeled robot can roll fast to quickly break line of sight of armed sentries or keep up with a moving laser grid, as well as crouch to hide behind obstacles and avoid other dangers. To complete a floor, your robot must devour a set amount of furniture per level to unlock the exit and there in lies the strategy. Removing furniture means less places to hide, less barriers to block lasers, and makes getting to the exit that much more challenging. You have limited health and your only course of action when seen is to run and hide.

Besides your natural hiding skills, you can collect a limited use ability, from going invisible (but motionless) to placing a block down which you can hide behind. You can only equip one ability at a time and they can be used once before having to recharge (by eating furniture) so they must be used tactically and at the most opportune moment. Multipliers, logs that gradually piece together the story behind the game, health packs can also be found throughout each level

Besides the procedurally generated campaign, there are also 20 challenge levels to test your skills, so there's something for the speed-run fan as well. In both the campaign and challenges, you earn more points for not being seen, for collecting multipliers, and speed among other factors.

Controls are smooth and responsive. WASD to move, mouse to move the camera, other keys to crouch, use your selected ability. Gameplay is a mix of fast paced planning and maneuvering and evasive sneaking around obstacles to avoid enemies: procedurally stealth with a dash of puzzle elements (as planning what furniture to remove or not remove will help your escape, especially since sentry patrols will change once you open new paths).

Top Bottom