• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Dascu

Nice! Being able to read Dante's Inferno in game is an interesting idea, is it tied to an event or you can read the book in any part of the game?

In the big fire rooms, there's a chair you can sit in to trigger it. Each fire you ignite, unlocks more chapters in the game. Similarly to the Inferno, there will be NPC ghosts in the game with their backstory/description.

Hofmann

I put some games from previous weeks, as the cycle went on hiatus for the time of Steam sales.

Eleven – Synesthetic space journey inspired by the Slowdrifter, an album by a Dallas-based musician Datahowler.

eleven4.png

Fist of Awesome - Time-travelling-lumberjack-em-up of epic proportions. It stars Tim Burr as a man out of time, caught up in a needlessly convoluted plot to enslave humanity by populating history with homicidal wild animals. FIST OF AWESOME gleefully conjures up nostalgic memories of the likes of Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and other fondly remembered brawlers from the 1990s golden age of scrolling beat 'em ups.

Skipping Stones - If Proteus left you craving for more of a free to explore nature experience, this is the game you should be looking forward to.

Wings of Saint Nazaire - Action-orientated space simulation game reminiscent of titles such as Wing Commander and the X-Wing series.

The Sword Stone - Highly stylized non-linear action/adventure game. As usual, you are a brave hero on a mission to stop the Ancient Evil from overtaking the world.

Maze - Another non-linear adventure game, this time it's a puzzle oriented one, instead of an action. The dev is known for making gorgeous lookin' Stealer.

Unfolded - RPG/adventure that looks a bit papery just like Media Molecule's Tearaway - sign me in!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nice, I missed these posts Hofmann.

Hofmann

With Vancha's post the thread became too indie, even for my tastes, so lets sail on a bit more mainstream waters.

Hybris - Physics-based puzzle platformer combined with elements from classic adventure games, set in a dreadful world of an American small town, seen from the perspective of a teenage boy, living in a pathological home environment.

Nekro - Nekro is a dark, twisted action game about summoning minions in the vein of Dungeon Keeper and Myth.

The Intergalactic Trashman - Part 2D space exploration game and part platformer, with stealth mechanics, some puzzles and a bunch of colorful characters you'll meet on your way.

Cowboys Vs Monsters - Wild Wild West strategy game by the Reprisal guys.

? - Your typical procedurally generated Japanese megacity.

Isle of Bxnes - Survive the brutal trek east with your tribe from island to island in this bloody stone age adventure RPG. Judge every encounter in these foreign lands and plan your attacks against feral beasts, hungry cannibals and warring tribesman.

That Intergalactic Trashman looks at least aesthetically fairly impressive. The developer clearly has some skill with sprite generation. Although they could have perhaps altered the default characters costume a bit to make it not look totally like Super Meat Boy.

luokyl

I just finished Rogue Legacy recently, amazing game. I don't check out the indie scene often, but I probably should, will keep this thread bookmarked.

Mikeside

Wow, thanks for introducing me to Fists of Awesome, guys. Looks amazing!

Have been enjoying Shadowrun so far - still pretty early on but I'm loving the vibe.

Goddamn, almost missed voting this month. I've barely had any time to try indie games (admittedly, part of the reason is that I've sunk so much time into Defender's Quest and Rogue Legacy). There's actually only six games in the list I've played and only four I've liked... that's pretty sad. :( I don't even know where to begin with the rest, so I guess I'll do the jerk thing, vote for those 4, and then use this month's tally to priorize the rest.

My votes are:

A Dark Room
Card Hunter
Defenders Quest
Odallus: The Dark Call

Also:

Wow. 1000 Amps is a marvellous little thing.

(is intrigued by the concept, screenshots and Toma's recommendation)
(goes to its Steam page)
"You already own this game [Install]" (from 2012's Graduation Bundle).

The indie bundle experience in a nutshell.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
;)

Jokes aside, do you know how many games the next thread is going to feature?

Will start doing the next thread tonight, so I guess it will take 3-4 days until I have the complete figure. I am about to include Shadowrun, any objections?

Goodbye, Miami :(

And hello, upstate NY and my 17+ Summer Sale game backlog!

Yup, I'm home (finally). Started playing Prison Architect and it is so good. Alpha bugs aside, the game is incredibly polished and incredibly deep. Well worth the $19.99 IMO. (Not sure about $29.99).

Toma

tjA6b1U.jpg

Yup, I'm home (finally). Started playing Prison Architect and it is so good. Alpha bugs aside, the game is incredibly polished and incredibly deep. Well worth the $19.99 IMO. (Not sure about $29.99).

Doesnt matter how much I like it, but considering they jacked up the price for the alpha from their targeted retail price, I cant outright bring myself to saying its worth the price now without a big "but".

Great picture btw. Hopefully I can hop over the big pond eventually for a visit someday.

Toma

A new episode of Pixabytes Weekly Indie Releases is live:

Video: http://youtu.be/R0wmyW36ihM

Games Mentioned
Elliot Quest: http://bit.ly/13kuXOu
Legends of Aethereus: http://bit.ly/14Umnvw
Expander: http://bit.ly/149Ciqz
Ittle Dew: http://bit.ly/11lr4vf
Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark: http://bit.ly/14jt4Rn
Zeno Clash 2 (PS Store): http://bit.ly/14jt8R4
Zeno Clash 2 (XBLA): http://bit.ly/1bYtwOd
Orbitron: Revolution: http://bit.ly/17KsLmS
Splatter: http://bit.ly/13NRJSr
Teleglitch: Die More Edition: http://bit.ly/16b00jY
Vintage Hero: http://bit.ly/17KsOyY
Trichrome: http://bit.ly/1e1YhON
Shadowrun Returns: http://bit.ly/11f5IQ7
Citadels: http://bit.ly/1buauQw
Mars: War Logs: http://bit.ly/13kCpbu

Toma

Saw Trichrome a few days ago on Desura and I am moderately interested in trying out the concept, but it might be a tad too hard for the mood I am in:

Trichrome - $4,99
ScreenShot17.png

http://www.desura.com/games/trichrome

Trichrome is the DARK SOULS of fast twitch pattern games where you match tiles up: make large triangles out of four smaller ones. However, you score more points with more interesting shape combinations, so plan your moves carefully -- and quickly! -- because the clock is ticking and the only way to fill it back up is to make more combos. Trichrome is approachable for new players, and many find they can complete a 4 Pure game in less than an hour of practice. But Trichrome is also a challenge for even the fastest, most clever player -- can you break 1,000,000 points, or make 12 Pure? There are 36 achievements to unlock, and three leader boards to gauge your skill: high score, fastest gameplay, and most tiles played. The minimalist visual design, vibrant colours and explosive VFX makes Trichrome a lovely game to watch as and the mesmerizing real-time synthesized multi-channel sound design will keep you coming back for more.

Although saying "the Dark Soulds of [insert genre xyz]" is really becoming cliched at this point.

Toma

Will start doing the next thread tonight, so I guess it will take 3-4 days until I have the complete figure. I am about to include Shadowrun, any objections?

No objection, it's one of the "major games" that were funded by Kickstarter and I'm interested to see how an indie game with a relatively high budget does.

Hofmann

Maybe I'll add a few more later, but currently I'm afraid to launch any resource heavy game, cause it's 37°C here and my PC fans are making some loud disturbing noises already.

• A Dark Room – Highly addicting little time waster. Similar to Civ series, where, by some magical forces unknown to man ''just one more turn'' turns into hundreds.
  • Blues for Mittavinda - I really like how it deals with important matters, without taking itself too seriously.
  • Cloudface - Obviously the demo is just a rough sketch, but the overall style, the way the main character is designed and his cute animations have won me over.
  • Gods Will Be Watching - Wow, I didn't expect it to be so good. It's mostly about planing and managing resources, but there's this ''right'' amount of luck involved that makes it so exciting. It's even more amazing when you consider that this version was made in just few days - can't wait for the full game.
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Haven't put much time into it, but the game has made a good impression on me from what I played. The encounters with enemies could be more ''meaty'', though.
  • Primordia - Point & Click with an interesting story and well designed puzzles that fit in the game's world, without being out of place.

Vancha

Think it deserves to be in the next thread yeah. It is still an indie game, it just got allot more budget thanks to kickstarter

Sorry for my previous post about the pixel shooter btw ;)

Toma

Think it deserves to be in the next thread yeah. It is still an indie game, it just got allot more budget thanks to kickstarter

Sorry for my previous post about the pixel shooter btw ;)

lol, dont be. It was a good joke :p

Toma

Wrote about 40-50 PMs to people posting in this thread for the voting. Hope we get a few more people to chime in.

Oh, you've been in Miami? How did you 'enjoy' the humidity? It was really high here too last week. I don't know how people cope with that on a regular basis, smh.

Enjoy digging into your backlog :). I finished Bastion last night and found the ending to be so moving I almost cried. I started off adoring the game and then wanting to just finish it to get on with my backlog but that ending made me fall in love with it all over again and even more than I originally had been. The new game + will have to wait for another time though as I'm getting stuck into the lovely Thomas Was Alone now and intend to start the original Ass Creed tonight too.

Oh, you've been in Miami? How did you 'enjoy' the humidity? It was really high here too last week. I don't know how people cope with that on a regular basis, smh.

Enjoy digging into your backlog :). I finished Bastion last night and found the ending to be so moving I almost cried. I started off adoring the game and then wanting to just finish it to get on with my backlog but that ending made me fall in love with it all over again and even more than I originally had been. The new game + will have to wait for another time though as I'm getting stuck into the lovely Thomas Was Alone now and intend to start the original Ass Creed tonight too.
Ironically when we got to Florida, it rained on and off for the first three days and it was like in the high 70s and 80s. While NY had the heat wave. Luckily the rest of our stay was great. Although after South Beach, home seems a bit boring

Got a large backlog now, which I kind of didnt want to happen, cause I know that means like three finished games and a bunch of half completed games. I'm probably going to try and focus on one game a week.

Which is probably not going to happen because I'm already switching between PA and Gunpoint. And Warband sounds tempting...and I'm still only an hour into HL2...and Bastion is great...and...

Cth

Voting!

(First Steam Sale I've been able to partcipate in, so I've been catching up on a lot of games, and like others been obsessed with Rogue Legacy, so next month I hope I'll have more votes)

A Dark Room
I gave this one a shot after trying Candy Box last month. I was surprised at the depth of the game, particularly once you open up the Nethack-ish map stuff. Yes it's a grinder, but it lends itself well to the pick-up-and-play style. In fact, I forgot I had the game running in a tab -- I kept coming back to the game for a couple of days in short bursts of gameplay.

Gods Will Be Watching
I decided to try this one based on the art style and concept. Looking forward to seeing how they expand this one. Nice selection of characters, setting and it's a fun albeit short challenging game.

Knights of Pen and Paper
This game captures the feeling of playing D&D with your friends perfectly. A lot of interesting ways to play the game, although it does end up becoming a level grind at times.

Sang Froid
Loved the setting, design choices and gameplay. The challenging difficulty and tense atmosphere won me over despite not being a fan of TD games.

Toma

Ha, this article had the unintentional effect of introducing me to Guncraft

Game sounds awesome. Is it MP only?

Guncraft is not really all that good (currently anyway). Go play some recommended games from the current thread instead :p

Super Splatters! Survivor Squad! Trap Them!

Tak3n

Banned
Guncraft is not really all that good (currently anyway). Go play some recommended games from the current thread instead :p

Super Splatters! Survivor Squad! Trap Them!

I bought Guncraft, but at the moment it is unplayable as the servers literally have no one playing...

I managed 1 game in 3 weeks

Toma

I bought Guncraft, but at the moment it is unplayable as the servers literally have no one playing...

I managed 1 game in 3 weeks

Yeah, kinda surprised that game is even a thing still, but the upcoming Steam + achievements + steam cards release will probably give them a dedicated, even if small, fanbase at least.

Toma

5 pages done, currently 7 released/11 upcoming games for the new thread.

1. Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
This game is similar to the Orcs Must Die games but the gameplay isn't quite as fun as those games. It's a bit janky, I guess? But I think in every other area it exceeds Orcs Must Die. The setting and atmosphere are fantastic, the story is interesting, I really like the two main characters as I'm a sucker for anything that includes a lumberjack (I wish there were a lumberjack sim, haha), and the music is well done. This game was a pleasant surprise for me as I didn't pay much attention to it when it was released and bought it because of it being on sale during Steam's Summer sale.

2. Soundodger
I've put a lot of time into this since it was released and have almost unlocked every song. It gets really challenging at times. It's a different take on the shmup genre as you avoid bullets that come out to the beat of the music. Right not it's only available as a free game on Adult Swim but I'm pretty sure there is a standalone version coming later in the year.

3. Primordia
I love point-and-click adventure games and cyberpunk so naturally I knew I'd like this. Pretty standard as far as adventure games go but it has a good story, good cast of characters, and features Logan Cunningham who is my favorite voice actor.

4. Gods Will Be Watching
I've only started playing this a few days ago so I don't have a whole lot to say about it. It seems like a single screen Oregon Trail. Challenging, too. Nice sprite work. I'll definitely be putting a lot of time into this one.

I wanted to give every one a heads up about a free game that was recently released. It's called Experiment 12 and it's a twelve chapter game with each chapter being done by a different indie developer. Some of the people involved are:

Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV, Super Hexagon)
Richard Perrin (Kairo)
Michael Brough (Vertex Dispenser, Zaga-33, Corrypt, Glitch Tank, and a bunch of others good games)
Jasper Byrne (Lone Survivor)

http://indiegames.com/2013/07/freeware_terry_cavanagh_jasper_1.html

Haven't played it myself yet but will be getting to it very soon.

Gods will be watching
Defenders Quest
A Dark Room

And the rest is not from the list, because I didn't play them, sorry Toma :(

Reus
Monaco
They'll Bleed Pixels
Toki Tori 2
King Arthur's Gold
Dust: An Elysian Tail

My negative votes
Eversion
Giana Sisters
Sol Survivor

Toma

1. Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
This game is similar to the Orcs Must Die games but the gameplay isn't quite as fun as those games. It's a bit janky, I guess? But I think in every other area it exceeds Orcs Must Die. The setting and atmosphere are fantastic, the story is interesting, I really like the two main characters as I'm a sucker for anything that includes a lumberjack (I wish there were a lumberjack sim, haha), and the music is well done. This game was a pleasant surprise for me as I didn't pay much attention to it when it was released and bought it because of it being on sale during Steam's Summer sale.

2. Mercenary Kings
I've got mixed feelings on this game. On one hand it has fantastic sprite work, good music and humor, and is fun to play at first but there are so many levels and it doesn't take long for the game to get repetitive. It's a shame, and something I hope gets addressed at some point because, in my opinion (and many disagree, according to the games discussion board), it really is a good game and the weapon building mechanic is a lot of fun. It's what made me put 12 hours into it without even realizing I had played that long, haha. But now I'm having trouble keeping interested because of the repetitiveness. Also, I keep seeing it compared to Metal Slug, and honestly, the first game that came to mind while playing was Rush 'N Attack.

3. Receiver
I've had my eye on this ever since it was released on Steam earlier in the year. It was part of a seven day "FPS challenge" last year to let indies have their take on something different with first-person shooters. I remember it taking place last year but never did try out any of the results. By the time I remembered it again they were taken down and I can still not find anywhere they are hosted. The same game jam is happening again this year. Anyway, this one features realistic gun mechanics in that it's not just basic aim/shoot/reload but you also do things such as pull out an empty clip and manually reload it one bullet at a time, put the clip back in, and so on. I also feel like the game is roguelike as all it takes is a single hit to die and anything you collect is gone once you've died. It's challenging, for sure. But the goal is to collect tapes to listen to and figure out what's going on. It was something like two dollars and some change during the Summer sale, hope people checked it out!

4. Gods Will Be Watching
I've only started playing this a few days ago so I don't have a whole lot to say about it. It seems like a single screen Oregon Trail. Challenging, too. Nice sprite work. I'll definitely be putting a lot of time into this one.

Neither Mercenary Kings, nor Receiver are in the current voting list :p
Mercenary Kings will make the next thread though I think. Stuff that releases during a month, usually is put into the next thread to allow the same amount of time for every game to play it. Receiver is a bit older already so it didnt get a mention here yet.

And here is the text list of the current month:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72517281&postcount=874

I wanted to give every one a heads up about a free game that was recently released. It's called Experiment 12 and it's a twelve chapter game with each chapter being done by a different indie developer. Some of the people involved are:

Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV, Super Hexagon)
Richard Perrin (Kairo)
Michael Brough (Vertex Dispenser, Zaga-33, Corrypt, Glitch Tank, and a bunch of others good games)
Jasper Byrne (Lone Survivor)

http://indiegames.com/2013/07/freeware_terry_cavanagh_jasper_1.html

Haven't played it myself yet but will be getting to it very soon.

That however is a damn cool developer mix. Thanks for the heads up!

Toma

Gods will be watching
Defenders Quest

And the rest is not from the list, because I didn't play them, sorry Toma :(

Reus
They'll Bleed Pixels
King Arthur's Gold
Dust: An Elysian Tail?

My negative votes
Eversion
Giana Sisters
Sol Survivor

You guys really should get around to trying some recommended stuff, like Survivor Squad, Super Splatters, A Dark Room and Trap them. Doesnt take too long to try the free versions of Survivor Squad and A Dark Room for a few minutes for example ;)

Neither Mercenary Kings, nor Receiver are in the current voting list :p
Mercenary Kings will make the next thread though I think. Stuff that releases during a month, usually is put into the next thread to allow the same amount of time for every game to play it. Receiver is a bit older already so it didnt get a mention here yet.

And here is the text list of the current month:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72517281&postcount=874

Ah, crap. I misunderstood the rules. I'll edit my post.

Toma

Asking for some feedback here. Any reason why most people didnt check more than 3-5 games and rarely any from the recommended games? That seems to be a trend where most people dont check the games that especially get recommended in the latter parts of the thread. For example I usually try to give these posts a big posts with screenshot and gameplay impressions so that others develop interests in trying them out too (barely anyone replied to these posts who didnt already play it btw). Still just too much? Thread recommendations drowning in a sea of OP indies? Or is 1-2 hours per week to check 4-6 games per week too much to be asked? I thought it would be rather reasonable to check 10-15 games each month since most games can be easily evaluated within 15-30 minutes. I might be a bit with how much time people possibly have for these games :p

I hope that doesnt sound too self-centered since I am basically focussing on the games that I checked myself and liked (and the same probably goes for the stuff Hofmann is recommending which rarely pops up on other "played it" lists), but if no one actually checks these posts that take a good amount of time to make, then I dont need to write them up. Just asking for the usefulness of these bigger recommendation posts here I guess. Or maybe I need to cut down the OPs to allow for a bigger focus on the "better" games? But then we'd miss small gems like Trap Them, 2x0ng and Music of the Spheres.

Its just a bit sad that even most regulars dont get to check the few big recommendations, despite it being usually not all that time or money intensive. Not saying everyone needs to LIKE the same games, but I was expecting people would try more games from the OP at least, even if some games turn out to be not the best 10 minutes of their lives. It doesnt make much sense how the voting is currently running for example if most people only played 5% of the games in the OP, mostly disregarding recommendations on OP games that pop up during the threads.

Anyway, as I said, any feedback on the way these threads are currently operating?

Asking for some feedback here. Any reason why most people didnt check more than 3-5 games and rarely any from the recommended games? That seems to be a trend where most people dont check the games that especially get recommended in the latter parts of the thread. For example I usually try to give these posts a big posts with screenshot and gameplay impressions so that others develop interests in trying them out too (barely anyone replied to these posts who didnt already play it btw). Still just too much? Thread recommendations drowning in a sea of OP indies? Or is 1-2 hours per week to check 4-6 games per week too much to be asked? I thought it would be rather reasonable to check 10-15 games each month since most games can be easily evaluated within 15-30 minutes I might be a bit with how much time people possibly have for these games :p

I hope that doesnt sound too self-centered since I am basically focussing on the games that I checked myself and liked (and the same probably goes for the stuff Hofmann is recommending which rarely pops up on other "played it" lists), but if no one actually checks these posts that take a good amount of time to make, then I dont need to write them up. Just asking for the usefulness of these bigger recommendation posts here I guess. Or maybe I need to cut down the OPs to allow for a bigger focus on the "better" games? But then we'd miss small gems like Trap Them, 2x0ng and Music of the Spheres.

Its just a bit sad that even most regulars dont get to check the few big recommendations, despite it being usually not all that time or money intensive. Not saying everyone needs to LIKE the same games, but I was expecting people would try more games from the OP at least, even if some games turn out to be not the best 10 minutes of their lives. It doesnt make much sense how the voting is currently running for example if most people only played 5% of the games in the OP, mostly disregarding recommendations on OP games that pop up during the threads.

Anyway, as I said, any feedback on the way these threads are currently operating?

For me, personally, I just have a lot on my plate when it comes to gaming. I have titles in mind that I want to play and don't want to deviate away from that. Plus, PC isn't the only platform I keep up with when it comes to indie games. I also try and stay current with iOS stuff because there's a lot of good indie games there so it's sometimes hard to juggle multiple platforms. But, I do read the recommendations and always make a note of games that look interesting.

Asking for some feedback here. Any reason why most people didnt check more than 3-5 games and rarely any from the recommended games? That seems to be a trend where most people dont check the games that especially get recommended in the latter parts of the thread. For example I usually try to give these posts a big posts with screenshot and gameplay impressions so that others develop interests in trying them out too (barely anyone replied to these posts who didnt already play it btw). Still just too much? Thread recommendations drowning in a sea of OP indies? Or is 1-2 hours per week to check 4-6 games per week too much to be asked? I thought it would be rather reasonable to check 10-15 games each month since most games can be easily evaluated within 15-30 minutes. I might be a bit with how much time people possibly have for these games :p

1) Maybe it could be that some are in the same situation I am, where we can't be buying tons of games to play so either focus on the freeware, browser, or demos. Which narrows down the games we can play.

2) People may prefer to stick with the genres they enjoy, which also narrows the games one plays

3) Maybe it seems that there are more posters activate in the thread than there really are? Only a dedicated few contribute most of the posts and recommendations?

Ironically when we got to Florida, it rained on and off for the first three days and it was like in the high 70s and 80s. While NY had the heat wave. Luckily the rest of our stay was great. Although after South Beach, home seems a bit boring

Got a large backlog now, which I kind of didnt want to happen, cause I know that means like three finished games and a bunch of half completed games. I'm probably going to try and focus on one game a week.

Which is probably not going to happen because I'm already switching between PA and Gunpoint. And Warband sounds tempting...and I'm still only an hour into HL2...and Bastion is great...and...

Heh, too many tempting delights!

Sorry to have gone off topic people but it's nice to have you 'back' M_B :).

Top Bottom