• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Hofmann

Perfectly Valid Reasons

When I burn through my Marlboros,
I am making love to an immolated
Manila: her moans, the ultimate
gasps of the slowly burning metro;
her orgasmic shivers,

I love the simplicity of interaction in this story. Usually there're lots of links scattered through the text which tend to distract the player/reader. This is much more elegant solution - you think about every word, every interpretation, because you unconsciously treat it as a game, at the same time it flows swiftly like a classic literature.

Jac_Solar

Not sure if "Rainblood Mirage" has been mentioned -- I tried to search for it but couldn't find anything.

It's a Chinese 2d sidescrolling hack and slash/combo-based game, with an upgrade and item system, and 2 characters (In the demo, at least.).

Well, it's at least sort of an upgrade/item system -- I have no idea what it does specifically, since I've only played the Chinese demo, which I do not understand.

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo -- I also enjoyed the fighting system, even though it seemed to be somewhat limited or basic. Since I don't understand Chinese, I don't know if there are any combos, movesets or commands that I didn't figure out on my own.

Here are some pictures:

10247684%25255B4%25255D.jpg

http://shinjuforest.blogspot.no/2013/02/a-little-look-at-rainblood-series.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=plQOaqDbuAk

There is a demo out there, but I couldn't find any reputable sites with a link.

Wok

No need to apologize. I've never heard about it and from what I saw in your links it looks really cool.

In this case, I will just post some links to indie games I am waiting for, mostly on Steam. Although I feel they are well-known, I could be wrong.

1. Contrast (dev, Greenlight)
  2. Gorogoa (dev)
  3. Gunpoint (dev)
  4. Miegakure (dev)
  5. Owlboy (dev)
  6. The Stanley Parable: HD Remix (dev, Greenlight)
  7. The Witness (dev)
  8. Marvin's Mittens (desura)
  9. OIO - The Game - Enlarged (standalone extension of desura)
  10. La-Mulana (desura)
  11. The Sea Will Claim Everything (the dev's store)
  12. The Oil Blue (desura)
  13. Qasir al-Wasat: A Night in-Between (desura)
  14. Wooden Sen'SeY (desura)
  15. Cook, Serve, Delicious! (desura)

Finally, these are my predictions for the winners of IGF 2013, which we should know next week:

1. Seumas McNally Grand Prize: Little Inferno
  2. Excellence in Visual Art: Kentucky Route Zero
  3. Technical Excellence: Perspective
  4. Excellence in Design: Super Hexagon
  5. Excellence in Audio: Hotline Miami
  6. Excellence in Narrative: Gone Home
  7. Nuovo: Cart Life
  8. Best Student Game: Farsh

I suggest you check Perspective, Farsh, Atum and Zineth.

Hofmann

In this case, I will just post some links to indie games I am waiting for, mostly on Steam. Although I feel they are well-known, I could be wrong.

2. Gorogoa (dev)
  3. Gunpoint (dev)
  4. Miegakure (dev)
  5. Owlboy (dev)
  7. The Witness (dev)
  10. La-Mulana (desura)

Finally, these are my predictions for the winners of IGF 2013, which we should know next week:

Thanks for the great recommendations. Some of them are also on the list of my most anticipated games(I'm really curious how's Stanley Parable gonna end up - loved the original), but there are many I've never heard of and others that I forgot about.

When I find some time I'll definitely check all of your suggestions.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You're probably right. I just didn't want to derail the thread with my attempts to interpret this short narrative.

I thought that most fellow Gafers coming here are looking for more conservative gaming experiences and accumulation of these kind of games could put them off. As for me, I really like those, so if someone reads this and knows some obscure ''game'' that nobody has heard about - please share. There're bunch of us here that will appreciate those recommendations.

I dont think you need to worry about that. Most people arent even checking the first page properly, and the rest of the thread is just more or less about how deep the small community we are building here can go down he rabbit hole. It would be especially unfortunate not to also use these threads to talk about games that will never ever get any attention otherwise.

Hofmann

I just finished playing Atum and I find the whole idea intriguing. In some ways it's similar to The Stanley Parable, but instead doing a game about game by experimenting with its narrative structure, this project changes the way how the player interacts with the interface.

If you like Gorogoa and previously mentioned TSP give it a try - it's not as good as these, but the concept has a great potential.

2. Gorogoa (dev)
  3. Gunpoint (dev)
  4. Miegakure (dev)
  5. Owlboy (dev)
  7. The Witness (dev)
  10. La-Mulana (desura)

Lots of quality stuff in there. I already had an eye on Owlboy, which seems to capture the spirit of top SNES platformers unbelievably well, better than anything else I've ever seen on PC. Contrast seems awesome as well, a sort of noir and more interesting The Tower of Shadow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Not sure how much we care about non-PC Indie games, but I was just reading about Knights of Pen and Paper and it sounded cool enough that I bought it on my phone. I'll post impressions when I get a chance.

I think there is an iOS indie thread, but yeah, feel free to throw it in here as well. I think I'll keep the OP for PC stuff, but I am certainly interested in looking at other experiences.

iOS and Android are a kind of different beast, in the sense that the platforms themselves lend to indie development (even more). As such, the vast majority of games seem to be indie to start with, and perhaps "indie awareness" makes slightly less sense in those platforms (or rather, is not that much different from "game awareness" in general).

That said, Knights of Pen and Paper looks REALLY cool, and definitely something I'd love to try if I had an iPhone. Digging the retro aesthetic, and I'm getting a quite strong 30 Second Hero "distilled RPG parody" from it, which, as any discerning gamer knows, is a very good thing. Please do post detailed impressions. :)

That said, Knights of Pen and Paper looks REALLY cool, and definitely something I'd love to try if I had an iPhone. Digging the retro aesthetic, and I'm getting a quite strong 30 Second Hero "distilled RPG parody" from it, which, as any discerning gamer knows, is a very good thing. Please do post detailed impressions. :)

Available on Droid too!

I agree with keeping the thread mainly PC, I think you guys both raised good points. I just saw it mentioned related to IGF, and am not much of a phone gamer (I tend to just use it as a portable twitter machine), so I don't tend to frequent the threads dedicated to them.

Toma

Available on Droid too!

I agree with keeping the thread mainly PC, I think you guys both raised good points. I just saw it mentioned related to IGF, and am not much of a phone gamer (I tend to just use it as a portable twitter machine), so I don't tend to frequent the threads dedicated to them.

Perfectly fine to drop some stuff in here occasionally :)

Not sure how much we care about non-PC Indie games, but I was just reading about Knights of Pen and Paper and it sounded cool enough that I bought it on my phone. I'll post impressions when I get a chance.

I bought it but was highly disappointed, there's not much of a game there. I'm even tempted to say it's not even a game at all. You just set your own quests then do it. Worst part is there's no challenge at all it's all very simplistic in a bad way. Gameplay is brainless and there's no storytelling you just basically grind for more stuff, some might say the metagame (unlocking stuff) is the game but even that is mindless.

DocSeuss

Since people did poke fun at me for suggesting that indie gaming was bereft of certain genres, who would like to point me towards an indie immersive sim that isn't Sir, You Are Being Hunted?

Or an RTS.

I'm really in the mood right now. Would like to see what the indie scene's been up to, since I've just about finished all the immersive sims and RTSes I have left, which is, of course, why I made that thread a while ago.

--

Anyone know what that one indie game is that is a first-person exploration of radio broadcasts and stuff? It looks really amazing. I think the guy also made a game called Pray.

Toma

Since people did poke fun at me for suggesting that indie gaming was bereft of certain genres, who would like to point me towards an indie immersive sim that isn't Sir, You Are Being Hunted?

Or an RTS.

I'm really in the mood right now. Would like to see what the indie scene's been up to, since I've just about finished all the immersive sims and RTSes I have left, which is, of course, why I made that thread a while ago.

--

Anyone know what that one indie game is that is a first-person exploration of radio broadcasts and stuff? It looks really amazing. I think the guy also made a game called Pray.

I still think your usage of "immersive sim" doesnt imply what you actually want to say. Factorio is an immersive (production) sim to me, but you seem to be referring to "graphically pleasing" 3D FPS with some stealth mechanics/other deeper elements. And at least I wasnt saying that there is NO genre that is underrepresented in Indies, I was just trying to point out that its far less than what people think. Quite a few people in your thread were screaming for games where someone else and me were posting a whole wall of suggestion, but the ones in question didnt even reply to that.

On the topic of RTS, have you played Achron?

Hofmann

You're probably thinking about Memory of a Broken Dimension. Except the info posted here before, there's not too much we know about it, but the game is gonna be shown next week at GDC
Experimental Gameplay Sessions.

DocSeuss

You're thinking of Memory of a Broken Dimension which, thanks to this thread & Hofmann's post about it, is now one of my most anticipated titles of the year.

Yes, that! I really want to experience it.

I still think your usage of "immersive sim" doesnt imply what you actually want to say. Factorio is an immersive (production) sim to me, but you seem to be referring to "graphically pleasing" 3D FPS with some stealth mechanics/other deeper elements. And at least I wasnt saying that there is NO genre that is underrepresented in Indies, I was just trying to point out that its far less than what people think. Quite a few people in your thread were screaming for games where someone else and me were posting a whole wall of suggestion, but the ones in question didnt even reply to that.

On the topic of RTS, have you played Achron?

I literally do not give a fuck about graphics. It could look like Proteus for all I care. What's important is level design, interactibility, and, of course, artificial intelligence. Immersive sims are games which utilize simulation mechanics and the first-person perspective to establish a virtual reality.

Thief, STALKER, System Shock 2, etc. Those games.

I started designing one a while back, before my school fell apart and I had to help put it together, and the intent was to do it in a style like Thirty Flights of Loving or so. All the work goes into gameplay and design, not visuals, which, while a plus, aren't as important as the environmental immersion. It really, really sucks that I can't make it. I think it would have been really fun and definitely unique.

I want a game where I can be in another world, explore it, deal with its peoples, and so forth.

I haven't played Achron, but it's on my list! :D

Toma

I literally do not give a fuck about graphics. It could look like Proteus for all I care. What's important is level design, interactibility, and, of course, artificial intelligence. Immersive sims are games which utilize simulation mechanics and the first-person perspective to establish a virtual reality.

Thief, STALKER, System Shock 2, etc. Those games.

I started designing one a while back, before my school fell apart and I had to help put it together, and the intent was to do it in a style like Thirty Flights of Loving or so. All the work goes into gameplay and design, not visuals, which, while a plus, aren't as important as the environmental immersion. It really, really sucks that I can't make it. I think it would have been really fun and definitely unique.

I want a game where I can be in another world, explore it, deal with its peoples, and so forth.

I haven't played Achron, but it's on my list! :D

Yeah, alright I can see where you are coming from, but "sim" is still something that connotates another gameplay style :p You should atleast add Immersive "FPS" Sim to it or something.

And yeah, go start Achron. It will give you headaches until your eyes bleed and you dont want to hear about RTS anymore for the next few weeks.

Awesome concept though, but one of the most ridiculously hard games to get into I've ever played. I had less issues learning to play Dwarf Fortress and Europa Universalis than Achron. That game... seriously, especially in MP. Man. What a mind fuck.

For anyone that doesnt know, its an RTS where you SEND YOUR UNITS THROUGH TIME since the start of the battle.

DocSeuss

Yeah, alright I can see where you are coming from, but "sim" is still something that connotates another gameplay style :p You should atleast add Immersive "FPS" Sim to it or something.

And yeah, go start Achron. It will give you headaches until your eyes bleed and you dont want to hear about RTS anymore for the next few weeks.

Awesome concept though, but one of the most ridiculously hard games to get into I've ever played. I had less issues learning to play Dwarf Fortress and Europa Universalis than Achron. That game... seriously, especially in MP. Man. What a mind fuck.

For anyone that doesnt know, its an RTS where you SEND YOUR UNITS THROUGH TIME since the start of the battle.

Immersive Sim is the genre name given by the folks at Looking Glass. I think the genre name is kinda weak, but it's their name.

Immersive denotes the first-person element of it, Sim demotes the simulation (not simulator, mind, but simulation, since these tend to simulate fantasy worlds, rather than provide a simulation of reality).

Toma

Immersive Sim is the genre name given by the folks at Looking Glass. I think the genre name is kinda weak, but it's their name.

Immersive denotes the first-person element of it, Sim demotes the simulation (not simulator, mind, but simulation, since these tend to simulate fantasy worlds, rather than provide a simulation of reality).

Weird, I disagree with the notion of "Immersion" necessarily denoting a first-person element (Planescape Torment was super immersive on a strategic and narrative level),but as you just said. Whatever, its their game :p In a general discussion, its a rather confusing term though.

DocSeuss

Weird, I disagree with the notion of "Immersion" necessarily denoting a first-person element (Planescape Torment was super immersive on a strategic and narrative level),but as you just said. Whatever, its their game :p In a general discussion, its a rather confusing term though.

It really is. That's what happens when the people naming genres are a bunch of MIT grads.

They were better at making games than naming their genres.

Also, given the etymology of the word, one might argue that "engaging" or "engrossing" would work better for PST than "immersive," which tends to denote an "I'm submerged in the experience" thing. It would imply becoming physically involved in a thing more than mentally engaged.

Toma

It really is. That's what happens when the people naming genres are a bunch of MIT grads.

They were better at making games than naming their genres.

Also, given the etymology of the word, one might argue that "engaging" or "engrossing" would work better for PST than "immersive," which tends to denote an "I'm submerged in the experience" thing.

You wouldnt describe an experience as PST as being "submerged in the experience"? My first playthrough most certainly was. I was living and breathing that game. Same with my first playthrough of FFX. I wasnt doing anything else other than playing this game for a week and barely sleeping or eating, lol.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Finished Starseed Pilgrim today, after a week or so of obsession. Such a great thing! As everyone has stated, great mechanic-space-possibility exploration, but (mild spoiler)
at a certain point, it becomes a straight up video game, using the skills you've built up to
(less mild)
platform your way to a series of "boss" levels.

I've made a video of my penultimate attempt; it shows most of the mechanics and a lot of the tricks of the game. It also ruins many, many things that are great to figure out on your own. I debated posting it at all, but I've gotten a lot of value from similar things I wasn't previously interested in. If you have played or are playing the game, you probably should have
opened a triple
at least before watching: /youtu.be/na3X-Ip0-DQ

Playing "Papers, Please", and I can't progress through the third day because a dude comes up to me and claims that he is giving me his papers, but he is totally not giving me his papers. I tried clicking on a whole bunch of stuff to no avail.

Bug, or am I dumb?

gabbo

Playing "Papers, Please", and I can't progress through the third day because a dude comes up to me and claims that he is giving me his papers, but he is totally not giving me his papers. I tried clicking on a whole bunch of stuff to no avail.

Bug, or am I dumb?

Hint: Click the rule book and the empty desk.

n8

Unconfirmed Member

Bug, or am I dumb?

Plenty of others stumbled here, pick the corresponding rule and the table near where they would drop the papers.

Heading off to PAX East. Can't wait to get my hands on some indie games and the hands of the developers to shake them.

Jac_Solar

Does anyone have any links to some websites with independent game downloads? Like tigsource, thegamehippo, sourceforge, moddb and affiliated sites, and so forth. Not the freeware/abandonware kind of sites, but the sites that focus on sharing obscure independent game titles.

Also, I recently found some total conversions of older games that went open source/freeware, and was wondering if there are any sites out there with a compilation of such projects, or even just total conversions (That works like a mod.) of existing games?

Moddb.com is a great site and has a couple of these kinds of projects, but seems to be missing a lot of stuff, specifically for more obscure games, like the kind of stuff that can be found on german/russian/polish forums. Well, found or at least indicated to, since some of the content is no longer hosted at the given links.

I'd also appreciate any links to any file host sites with no extreme bandwith limits and with a lot of mod content (Like Skydrive that requires a link to a users directory.)

I only have links to some Blitzkrieg 1 and 2 (RTS.) stuff I found somewhere on the net, but there's a lot of content in them (20+gb in total.). PM if you want the link. Also have a SimCity but it's only 183 mb or so.

Raxum

For people with Gnomoria on Desura, they've added the CD Keys to the game on Desura, so if you right-click on your game you can get your key to activate it on Steam. It activates properly, so you can redeem your game instead of buying it again!

gabbo

Does anyone have any links to some websites with independent game downloads? Like tigsource, thegamehippo, sourceforge, moddb and affiliated sites, and so forth. Not the freeware/abandonware kind of sites, but the sites that focus on sharing obscure independent game titles.

Also, I recently found some total conversions of older games that went open source/freeware, and was wondering if there are any sites out there with a compilation of such projects, or even just total conversions (That works like a mod.) of existing games?

Moddb.com is a great site and has a couple of these kinds of projects, but seems to be missing a lot of stuff, specifically for more obscure games, like the kind of stuff that can be found on german/russian/polish forums. Well, found or at least indicated to, since some of the content is no longer hosted at the given links.

I'd also appreciate any links to any file host sites with no extreme bandwith limits and with a lot of mod content (Like Skydrive that requires a link to a users directory.)

I only have links to some Blitzkrieg 1 and 2 (RTS.) stuff I found somewhere on the net, but there's a lot of content in them (20+gb in total.). PM if you want the link. Also have a SimCity but it's only 183 mb or so.
I second all of this, and will PM you in the morning about Blitzkrieg

Toma

Toma

Quick reminder that we'll start on voting for the top 5 games (only the from the ones mentioned in the OP) this month in 2 days :) The thread is already full enough, I'll put every game that has been mentioned and is not yet in the thread into the april OT (which gives them more exposure anyway)

Quick reminder that we'll start on voting for the top 5 games (only the from the ones mentioned in the OP) this month in 2 days :) The thread is already full enough, I'll put every game that has been mentioned and is not yet in the thread into the april OT (which gives them more exposure anyway)

I didn't even know this was a thing, did you do so for previous threads, or is it new? So if I get this correctly, the voting will be in the April thread? Just making sure so that I don't miss it. :D

Toma

I didn't even know this was a thing, did you do so for previous threads, or is it new? So if I get this correctly, the voting will be in the April thread? Just making sure so that I don't miss it. :D

This is the first thread, so I was just making thread proceedings up as I went.
We'll use the last week of the threads (so in 2 days and then for 7 days), to count the votes for all the games that are in the OP. Games that havent been mentioned in the OP yet cant be voted for, but will be included in next months thread (so that we spread out the attention a bit). The idea is to give the 5 most noteworthy titles a bit of extra attention next month for any random passerby.

But the basic idea came from the discussion with you ;)

Wok

There is one website on which I had downloaded MɪʀʀФяяɪM. I don't check it, but it might be the kind of website you are looking for. It is called: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/

This is the first thread, so I was just making thread proceedings up as I went.
We'll use the last week of the threads (so in 2 days and then for 7 days), to count the votes for all the games that are in the OP. Games that havent been mentioned in the OP yet cant be voted for, but will be included in next months thread (so that we spread out the attention a bit). The idea is to give the 5 most noteworthy titles a bit of extra attention next month for any random passerby.

That's an awesome idea. For some reason I actually thought you had been doing this monthly thing for a while; no wonder I couldn't find any of the past threads! :D

But the basic idea came from the discussion with you ;)

I kind of suspected as much, but didn't want to be presumptuous. I'm honored, though! :)

Toma

I think he means the thread/list of indie titles

Shhh, I am trying to lure back first time posters into this thread by getting them to check back here and reply again to make them addicted to it.

gabbo

Shhh, I am trying to lure back first time posters into this thread by getting them to check back here and reply again to make them addicted to it.

Then regardless of what I posted, the fact I bumped the thread will help ;)

Toma

Yeah, we certainly don't want them addicted to playing games :p

1st step: Getting people addicted to the thread.
2nd step: Allowing them to play games.
3rd step: Having them post in the thread they are addicted to about the awesome games they played.
4th step: Luring more people in with those impressions.
5th step: ...Profit!

Then regardless of what I posted, the fact I bumped the thread will help ;)

;)

Top Bottom