• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Recap of the Screenshot Saturday posts for 16/03/13 I made on the last page (Click the links for the full posts):

directlink_BFhPeAgCcAAgtQE.jpg

Post 1

directlink_29QYw2F.gif

Post 2

directlink_BFfx0S6CYAAAQEz.jpg

Post 3

directlink_BESusMDCQAAwcNh.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

Post 4

oh man. great posts

Thanks :) Took me a while. I get the hunch that I put a bit too much time into this thread, but ah well. Not fed up with it yet, as long as there are still some other people showing interest. Btw, the Screenshot Saturday posts are all linked at the bottom of the 3rd post of this thread. There you'll also find last weeks posts.

Here is an indie game for you all, 99 Spirits. It is an interesting game especially those who want Japanese games localized.
The story revolves around a Japanese legend called Tsukumogami and as far as I understood it, it causes every object to come to life as ghosts on their 100th birthday, and you bust them.

Fruitbat Factory is behind the game and they released War of the Human Tanks earlier. Which I got during the indiefort sale.

Anyway they seem to have completed the Indiegogo, although some stretch goals are still there. This means the game will be released and now it can get some attention with the help of this thread.

P.S. : Don't forget to check GMG Indie Sale thread, you may find the game I mentioned earlier, War of the Human Tanks, on sale.

Just an update on my earlier post;
99 Spirits achieved its stretch goal too and the Indiegogo campaign is now over.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just an update on my earlier post;
99 Spirits achieved its stretch goal too and the Indiegogo campaign is now over.

No clue why I didnt click that earlier, but that looks really cool. Thanks for reposting it. I should add that to the Future post later.

Well we already know whats included in the alpha as I quoted somewhere above:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49913001&postcount=390

But yeah, dont worry. I'll make sure to shout at GAF loud enough if the Alpha is as fun and content rich as I hope and sort of expect it to be atm.

Btw, this was my initial setup for the last level:

I actually watched a video of someone playing the alpha (the full version, not the demo) and there seems to be quite a lot more stuff. When I talked about content I mean mostly "more stuff to build" and such, and there seems to be quite a lot in fact. :)

I'll take a screenshot of my setup later, gotta go right now. See ya!

RSP

Don't know if there's any room for self-promotion here, but we've just released an update to Tower Master, a prototype of our multiplayer platformer that revolves around user generated content. I recommend playing it with a couple of friends, and try to make the most difficult towers possible.

You can download it (for free) at protocannon.com

It's an Alpha version right now, but a lot of fun to mess around with :)

This is the best thread on NeoGAF.
I think you meant this:

Don't know if there's any room for self-promotion here, but we've just released an update to Tower Master, a prototype of our multiplayer platformer that revolves around user generated content. I recommend playing it with a couple of friends, and try to make the most difficult towers possible.

I noticed that you have the same configuration screen with Slave of God, what is the engine you are using?

Toma

People are free to throw in here whatever they want. Devs should mention it though if its their own game to avoid any negative talk about stealthily advertising a game.

Wok

Only Indie Game I can think of that is even LONGER in development is The Witness since 2008. Anyone topping that?

Fez might be good to top that: the game was announced in July 2007. I expect a release on Steam in April/June.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man. I cant believe that game finally releases. This game is in development and on the hype train since 2009.

Only Indie Game I can think of that is even LONGER in development is The Witness since 2008. Anyone topping that?
While there was a playable beta for it for quite a while, Cortex Command took some decade to release.

Toma

While there was a playable beta for it for quite a while, Cortex Command took some decade to release.

Ah right, Cortex Command probably takes the crown. Did anyone here actually get into this game? I tried, but somehow it put me off.

RSP

People are free to throw in here whatever they want. Devs should mention it though if its their own game to avoid any negative talk about stealthily advertising a game.

Yeah I figured it's a sensitive subject. I've posted the game before in the development thread, but since it seems there are a lot more people playing the games in this one, it made sense.

I noticed that you have the same configuration screen with Slave of God, what is the engine you are using?

It's built using Unity, by far the fastest way for us to get something up and running. The prototype took two days to complete. One of my guys spent some of his own time fixing some bugs and re-writing parts of it after that, but the idea is that we want to have something up and running in the shortest time possible.

Ah right, Cortex Command probably takes the crown. Did anyone here actually get into this game? I tried, but somehow it put me off.

I liked the idea but somehow it kills my machine at the first mission. There is an infinite zombie spawner on that map and with each zombie the game gets slower, after a few minutes can't even move.

I did a quick search of the thread, but it didn't turn up any mentions of The Castle Doctrine. It's Jason Rohrer's (Passage, Sleep is Death, Chain World, etc) latest - a quasi-MMO built around home defense and burglary - with which I've become fairly obsessed. The game has its own thread, but it's been practically ignored or overlooked. I definitely recommend it. The alpha is available now for $8 on Jason's website.

dqS97rf.jpg

Toma

Quick Heads up:

IndieGamestand deal for $1: Recruits
Recruits_Gameplay_03.png

Recruits is a squad based top down shooter. Inspired by games like Cannon Fodder, Alien Swarm and Jagged Alliance Recruits puts players on the front lines of the battlefield to accomplish your missions through any means necessary. Fast paced and packed with explosions, Recruits offers a wide variety of features that allow you, and your friends to take command of the action and lead your men to victory.
https://indiegamestand.com/

I'll grab it to check it. Anyone else played it? Does the deal deserve its own thread? I made a few of those IndieGamestand Deal threads in the past, but usually only for games that I know were good.

Toma

I did a quick search of the thread, but it didn't turn up any mentions of The Castle Doctrine. It's Jason Rohrer's (Passage, Sleep is Death, Chain World, etc) latest - a quasi-MMO built around home defense and burglary - with which I've become fairly obsessed. The game has its own thread, but it's been practically ignored or overlooked. I definitely recommend it. The alpha is available now for $8 on Jason's website.

dqS97rf.jpg

Woah, I pretty much loved all of his previous games. (We should get a Sleep is death round going on GAF sometime) I dont think I can pass this up. Thanks for the shoutout!

Edit: Holy Crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvpYianarNI

That game looks great.

n8

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, I've only had fun when I playing 4 player split screen.
It tries to do too much.

Oh man. I cant believe that game finally releases. This game is in development and on the hype train since 2009.

If SpyParty doesn't launch this year it will be creeping up the list.
I'm sure Retro City Rampage holds the longest development, guy apparently started it in 2002 for NES homebrew. Felt like I heard about it for WiiWare ages ago before it hit consoles and PC.

Raxum

Good posts there Toma, can't believe I only just found this thread. Actually been looking around for some fun Indie games lately, and found a couple that really piqued my interest.

Hammerwatch
A little pixel art hack'n'slash game. It's pretty fun so far, and I'm really interested to see where the development takes it. They've got a Greenlight page floating around as well.

Chasm
Haven't gotten to play it, but looks quite fun. A rogue-like metroidvania game is something I'd definitely want to play.

Realm Explorer
A sandbox RPG game with a destructible world. Mine it, chop it, craft it, somewhat like minecraft but less boxes. Sounds like they have some interesting concepts so far, and I hope it turns out well.

Hope my first post here isn't too long and doesn't have any repeats...

Toma

Good posts there Toma, can't believe I only just found this thread. Actually been looking around for some fun Indie games lately, and found a couple that really piqued my interest.

Hammerwatch

A little pixel art hack'n'slash game. It's pretty fun so far, and I'm really interested to see where the development takes it. They've got a Greenlight page floating around as well.

Chasm

Haven't gotten to play it, but looks quite fun. A rogue-like metroidvania game is something I'd definitely want to play.

Realm Explorer

A sandbox RPG game with a destructible world. Mine it, chop it, craft it, somewhat like minecraft but less boxes. Sounds like they have some interesting concepts so far, and I hope it turns out well.

Haha, dont worry about that! I am already very glad if people find this thread and post at all. I'd say most regular posters in this thread are a rather easy-going bunch. Please also feel free to comment on any other game people mention. We don't need to agree on everything and I love to discuss games anyway ;)

Chasm looks really good. That one is bookmarked for a later try.

Here's my latest addiction:

Clairvoyance

Basically Frozen Synapse meets RoboRally. It's asynchronous, semi-turn based.

Currently on sale for $5.

http://www.gameofclairvoyance.com/

You had me at "Frozen". Will take a look at it next week. Thanks for mentioning!

Raxum

Haha, dont worry about that! I am already very glad if people find this thread and post at all. I'd say most regular posters in this thread are a rather easy-going bunch. Please also feel free to comment on any other game people mention. We don't need to agree on everything and I love to discuss games anyway ;)

Chasm looks really good. That one is bookmarked for a later try.

Haha thanks :) And yeah Chasm does look like fun, voted for it on Steam Greenlight to bookmark it for later.

I tried out Vox a while ago and it wasn't overly feature rich so I decided to come back at a later date to see how it played, might go check that out now. And I bookmarked Banished for a later date, it looks like an interesting take on city-building.

Are there any decent websites around other than indieDB for seeing upcoming indie games?

Toma

Haha thanks :) And yeah Chasm does look like fun, voted for it on Steam Greenlight to bookmark it for later.

I tried out Vox a while ago and it wasn't overly feature rich so I decided to come back at a later date to see how it played, might go check that out now. And I bookmarked Banished for a later date, it looks like an interesting take on city-building.

Are there any decent websites around other than indieDB for seeing upcoming indie games?

I dont think so, the best best for being up to date about future titles is getting to know them through interviews, previews and quicklooks on any of the Indie blogs/websites/here in the forum and then just keep track of that project.

"Upcoming" is a bit too.. relative in terms of Indie Games I think. Monaco was an "Upcoming" game in 2011 and now its 2 years later and it will FINALLY release ;p

Raxum

I dont think so, the best best for being up to date about future titles is getting to know them through interviews, previews and quicklooks on any of the Indie blogs/websites/here in the forum and then just keep track of that project.

"Upcoming" is a bit too.. relative in terms of Indie Games I think. Monaco was an "Upcoming" game in 2011 and now its 2 years later and it will FINALLY release ;p

Yeah I know how 'upcoming' works in the Indie genre. Some of the projects I've seen have been led or started by 1-2 people and take them years to get to beta. I've followed a few games from an Alpha stage, and love watching games develop, it's really interesting. It's especially interesting how certain ideas or concepts develop over the life of the game, depending on whether they work or not and how they influence the game experience as a whole.

Toma

Yeah I know how 'upcoming' works in the Indie genre. Some of the projects I've seen have been led or started by 1-2 people and take them years to get to beta. I've followed a few games from an Alpha stage, and love watching games develop, it's really interesting. It's especially interesting how certain ideas or concepts develop over the life of the game, depending on whether they work or not and how they influence the game experience as a whole.

Yeah, I actually really like that aspect. Seeing Dwarf Fortress, Gnomoria, Terraria Project Zomboid etc evolve is a really fun process. I'd go as far as to say that I am enjoying the polished Alphas with regular updates more than the full releases. There is something exciting about taking a look at it regularly.

Can't... keep up... with... thread...

I played a bit of Papers Please this morning (today's a national holiday here in Spain). Awesome yet stressing game. I'm at day 6 with all of my family alive, which I guess is good for a first try? (I did read the tip about the guy without a passport, though). How many days is it? What happens if you stop paying the rent too many times in a row?

Here's my latest addiction:

Clairvoyance

Basically Frozen Synapse meets RoboRally. It's asynchronous, semi-turn based.

Will check it ASAP, as RoboRally was one of my favorite board games. To be fair Frozen Synapse was already "RoboRally meets Tactical Shooter". :D

Toma

Can't... keep up... with... thread...

I played a bit of Papers Please this morning (today's a national holiday here in Spain). Awesome yet stressing game. I'm at day 6 with all of my family alive, which I guess is good for a first try? (I did read the tip about the guy without a passport, though). How many days is it? What happens if you stop paying the rent too many times in a row?

Will check it ASAP, as RoboRally was one of my favorite board games. To be fair Frozen Synapse was already "RoboRally meets Tactical Shooter". :D

Slowpoke! But I agree, the thread picked up nicely. Glad to see more people posting other recommendations.

And the demo is 9 days I believe.

Oh and, TODAY FACTORIO ALPHA!TODAY FACTORIO ALPHA!TODAY FACTORIO ALPHA!TODAY FACTORIO ALPHA!

*dances*

Not out yet. Hope it wont take too long.

Raxum

Yeah, I actually really like that aspect. Seeing Dwarf Fortress, Gnomoria, Terraria Project Zomboid etc evolve is a really fun process. I'd go as far as to say that I am enjoying the polished Alphas with regular updates more than the full releases. There is something exciting about taking a look at it regularly.

I would definitely agree with that. I was right into Terraria when they were updating it regularly, and I check into Minecraft every time there is a big update. Gnomoria is pretty good, and I actually enjoy Towns as well. Following Vox is interesting, and there's a tutorial based around the making of the game.

Desura is really good for Alphas of games as well, lots of good indie games release early on there and the patch notes are displayed before you update the game.

Your post was awesome, really quality stuff there.

Just downloaded Hammerwatch, impressions later. :)

I've actually been following Chasm for a bit, it looks amazing. However, there's nothing playable yet.

Toma

I've actually been following Chasm for a bit, it looks amazing. However, there's nothing playable yet.

Its already in the OP ;p But here were my earlier impressions:
DP, but I just finished a round and added it to the OP. I enjoyed it overall as a cute little dungeon crawler, but what annoys me a bit is the walking speed.Especially when you already cleared a huge section and then it takes you a minute to get where you left off. I'd also love to see more random stuff popping up in the dungeon other than just a few chests and monsters. Usually Dungeon Crawlers make up for that with loot that you find everywhere in monster drops. That doesnt work here though, since the game doesnt have any form of inventory management/equipment. It still feels a bit as if there are a few "highlights" missing on each level.

An option to hold down "attack" would have been great too :p My poor arrow up key.

Anyway, still enjoyed it! Even though it was a Once through and Done affair for me, due to he missing variety.

Its already in the OP ;p But here were my earlier impressions:

Ok, so that's why it sounded familiar. :D

Impressions are similar to yours, other than the game in general being too mechanically simple / straightforward to be engaging (at least what I played, single player only yet, might be beter in co-op). Which is a shame because the pixel art is absolutely gorgeous.

Funnily enough, when playing with an analog controller, it has full support for both analog movement (360 degrees of freedom) and analog aiming, both with the left stick.

Raxum

Thanks :) I actually feel a bit weird that I found Chasm in Steam's Greenlight instead of on an Indie site, makes me happy to see Indie games moving onto a more visible platform, but still.

Hammerwatch is somewhat fun, and has potential, I'm really interested in the multiplayer, because those sort of games are fun to drag friends into usually. I agree with Toma's impression though, it's a little bare atm.

Been playing too much Path of Exile lately, but I'm trying to get out of that and pay more attention to other Indie titles. Been on a bit of an RPG binge lately as well, so my posts may contain a few more RPGs than anything else.

dqS97rf.jpg

I bought it but haven't had the chance to play it yet. It looks quite good.

Toma

I bought it but haven't had the chance to play it yet. It looks quite good.

The concept is marvellous. I bought it too and played it for 3 hours yesterday. Its a bit hard to recommend for $8 or even $16 on release though. If anyone is interested I can write up some more in-depth impressions.

Thanks :) I actually feel a bit weird that I found Chasm in Steam's Greenlight instead of on an Indie site, makes me happy to see Indie games moving onto a more visible platform, but still.

Hammerwatch is somewhat fun, and has potential, I'm really interested in the multiplayer, because those sort of games are fun to drag friends into usually. I agree with Toma's impression though, it's a little bare atm.

Been playing too much Path of Exile lately, but I'm trying to get out of that and pay more attention to other Indie titles. Been on a bit of an RPG binge lately as well, so my posts may contain a few more RPGs than anything else.

Could I ask you to post at this one thread if you haven't yet?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524550
Someone mentioned the general and strange lack of Path of Exile in most people's lists; I agree, even though it's not a genre I like, I've heard a lot of praise. Could you help correct this situation? :)

Also, here's my Factorio demo setup with a few highlights:

Toma

Also, here's my Factorio demo setup with a few highlights:

Ah, damn. Underground pipes and autoloading turrets. Sweet! Didnt try any of these advanced building options yet, but I love it!

Just an FYI-Arcen's latest game, Shattered Haven (link, is now available. I generally buy their stuff without question-they are "hometown" to me and I adored AI War,and their games are generally quite good.

I have a dissenting option on Sword of the Stars: The Pit vs. the one posted on the previous page. I didn't like Dungeons of Dredmor-I thought it was clunky, didn't like the way the skill system was set up, and found the actual dungeon exploring to be pretty bland. The Pit has a wonderfully fluid (for a rougelike) interface-w/ the mouse features things almost feel modern!-and I really like the way the recipe system builds on previous failed runs (you do yourself a disservice if you google recipes, btw). The loot is almost always relevant and the rooms are well-ordered and structured-repair depots have lots of robots, etc. It's skill system is not as colorful or varied as Dredmor's , but I see that as an asset as I think that game over-engineered that part of the game.

I think it's a great roguelike and have already put more time into it than I did in Dredmor. The fact that is is scifi does help, but the game is (IMO) very good.

Toma

Just an FYI-Arcen's latest game, Shattered Haven (link, is now available. I generally buy their stuff without question-they are "hometown" to me and I adored AI War,and their games are generally quite good. .

I'd love more impressions on Shattered Haven if you get to play it! :)

Toma

Factorio Preorder up!
http://www.factorio.com/preorder

Transport Belt Repair Man - 10€
You get an access to the game alpha right NOW. You will be entitled to ALL the game updates in the future as well. We already deliver new alpha versions regularly so you have new features and improvements to look forward to all the time. In case we manage to get on the Steam in the future you will also get a steam key.

Furnace Attendant - 20€
The basic tier is a deal already. But here on top of that you get a loaded scenario pack with various challenge missions crafted for you directly by the developers. Not to mention three beautiful high-res digital wallpapers that will make your desktop truly stand out.

Mining Drill Operator - 35€
Put YOUR name in the game. Different machines in the game will have a "designed by" / "model" tag that will bear your name. Besides that you get our concept art book that will entertain you while you are not actually playing the game. Oh and the previous tiers are included of course.

I am still considering whether I take the 20 or 35 tier. Leaning towards 20 for the map pack (which isnt included yet I believe).

Toma

I'll be livestreaming the Freeplay mode of the Factorio Alpha in a few minutes, in case anyone is interested.

I'll start from scratch.

Random aside, did I dream about that or did someone say Monaco releases next month? :-o Need to search some official statement for that.

You will be pleased to know Monaco passed final certification by MS today, first time.
No release date yet but developer will inform when it has a solid date. Promising that it will be sooner than expected.

Wok

You will be pleased to know Monaco passed final certification by MS today, first time.
No release date yet but developer will inform when it has a solid date. Promising that it will be sooner than expected.

End of April is most likely.

Top Bottom