• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

fushi

Added to OP:

Césure - Free (PC)

I mean its free, so its an easy sell, but seriously worth dabbling a few minutes into. Considering its a 3D place to explore the DL is surprisingly small too (60MB). Tried to swim away from the threatening looking stature and landed on a small island with a weird statue that seemed to serve no purpose either, but left me uneasy. Tried to swim farther away and then only darkness engulfed me.

Trippy experience. Worth checking out!

Also, you can be one of the first 2000 people to dl this game! So sad. Not even 2000 people found that this project looked interesting to warrant a free 50MB dl for a unique experience.
My kind of shit. Thank you. I love exploring these sorts of games just to see what people come up with and how it all blends together.

I still very much want a game that would offer these sorts of explorations on a massive scale. Noctis has been my one true love in this regard.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Cool random screenshot from 7DRL, that reminds me (and you) to check out the 7DRL entries eventually:
AQ2zX5F.jpg

And reminder for the Factorio preorder:

Factorio Preorder up!
http://www.factorio.com/preorder

Transport Belt Repair Man - 10€
You get an access to the game alpha right NOW. You will be entitled to ALL the game updates in the future as well. We already deliver new alpha versions regularly so you have new features and improvements to look forward to all the time. In case we manage to get on the Steam in the future you will also get a steam key.

Furnace Attendant - 20€
The basic tier is a deal already. But here on top of that you get a loaded scenario pack with various challenge missions crafted for you directly by the developers. Not to mention three beautiful high-res digital wallpapers that will make your desktop truly stand out.

Mining Drill Operator - 35€
Put YOUR name in the game. Different machines in the game will have a "designed by" / "model" tag that will bear your name. Besides that you get our concept art book that will entertain you while you are not actually playing the game. Oh and the previous tiers are included of course.

I am still considering whether I take the 20 or 35 tier. Leaning towards 20 for the map pack (which isnt included yet I believe).

Eh, I've only had fun when I playing 4 player split screen.
It tries to do too much.

Yeah, I was addicted to Cortex Command's sandbox mode for a good week or so, just messing around with the physics engine and building stuff, but once you get tired of that, there wasn't a lot of game there (despite a bunch of enemies/weapons/etc).

I haven't checked it out in a while though, hopefully they can package it up into a more cohesive game, because the game has a lot of cool ideas.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
2jMe6Ct.png

Halloween mini-story storytellers note: Post these in the November thread or you shall be struck by Pixel Lightning.

Raxum

Could I ask you to post at this one thread if you haven't yet?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524550
Someone mentioned the general and strange lack of Path of Exile in most people's lists; I agree, even though it's not a genre I like, I've heard a lot of praise. Could you help correct this situation? :)

Also, here's my Factorio demo setup with a few highlights:

The strange lack of it is possibly due to the state of the game in the open beta test. They made a few changes that made the game a LOT harder and it somewhat killed build diversity, but the devs have, to this point, shown a great interest in listening to their fans and making big changes so I'm hopeful they'll fix it. In the meantime I'm enjoying the difficulty :p

I'll have a look at the thread, but it may take me a while to compile a "Top Ten" list. I've been playing so many lately...

Edit: Are we allowed to have a small description/impression for each game we post? (no pics)

Edit 2: Posted my list plus small impressions

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Some misc games I got to play today.

Triad, by Anna Anthropy (dys4ia, Mighty Jill Off)
Short story of trying to share a place to sleep presented to you by a single puzzle. Nothing much but a cute 3 minutes of your time.

eH0juhn.png

Teleglitch
Came out late last year, has a Mac release up soon. A rougelike overhead shooter with nice science fiction. I've just touched the games first 2 levels, so I haven't seen much but I'm prepared to have a good time with it.

tZYBGPr.jpg

Some misc games I got to play today.

Triad, by Anna Anthropy (dys4ia, Mighty Jill Off)
Short story of trying to share a place to sleep presented to you by a single puzzle. Nothing much but a cute 3 minutes of your time.

eH0juhn.png

Teleglitch
Came out late last year, has a Mac release up soon. A rougelike overhead shooter with nice science fiction. I've just touched the games first 2 levels, so I haven't seen much but I'm prepared to have a good time with it.

tZYBGPr.jpg

I enjoyed Triad, was a nice diversion for 5 mins. Thanks for posting it.

This is more of a fan game than an Indie Game, but some Dragon Quest fan who goes by Orias made a pretty awesome Dragon Quest fangame in RPGMaker VX.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/3385/

It uses a lot of custom scripts, so you can't even tell it's an RPGmaker game. Some of the neater features included are the monster breeding mechanic, alchemy pot and immigrant town.

Story wise, it's a lot like DQVII. You collect shards, unlock islands in the past. Solve whatever problem they're facing, then explore the present version of the island. The individual islands are pretty interesting for the most part though.

Toma

This is more of a fan game than an Indie Game, but some Dragon Quest fan who goes by Orias made a pretty awesome Dragon Quest fangame in RPGMaker VX.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/3385/

It uses a lot of custom scripts, so you can't even tell it's an RPGmaker game. Some of the neater features included are the monster breeding mechanic, alchemy pot and immigrant town.

Story wise, it's a lot like DQVII. You collect shards, unlock islands in the past. Solve whatever problem they're facing, then explore the present version of the island. The individual islands are pretty interesting for the most part though.

Of course its Indie ;) All RPGMaker games are, some people just dont like them, for whatever stupid reason. And that does look kinda awesome.

Off the slim chance any of you has missed it, Bastion is now ONE DOLLAR minimum in the Humble Bundle. This price is so ridiculous that aside from buying it for the few of my friends that don't have it, I'm tempted to buy extra copies for FRIENDS I MIGHT MAKE IN THE FUTURE.
Edit: I completely forgot that it was also included in the Humble Indie Bundle V, which is why most of my friends have it and I have it twice. :D

Edit: Are we allowed to have a small description/impression for each game we post? (no pics)

Edit 2: Posted my list plus small impressions

Thanks a lot, sir! And yes, impressions of course are allowed; although the primary purpose of the list is to be tallied, inevitably I will skim over them and see one or two games that I don't know and sounds cool. :)

Of course its Indie ;) All RPGMaker games are, some people just dont like them, for whatever stupid reason. And that does look kinda awesome.

One of the games in my top ten (To The Moon) is made in RPGMaker! In my opinion, the tools used to make it don't matter as long as a large enough part of the content is original. I.e. "Super Mario World Hard Version Hack" is not an indie game per se, but games made with RPG Tsukuru, Game Maker, etc. definitely are.
Of course, as with everything, there are borderline cases, like Super Mario Bros Crossover. :D

Hofmann

SCP-087-B - Wait till it's dark, put on your headphones and for a few minutes the only thing you'll be left with is gonna be your deepest fear. It's weird, but the only motivation to keep going forward is hope that you'll die just around the corner - it's so strong that you will hold the W button like a maniac,
until it finally happens

You can download the game for free here.

Oh, and change resolution in options to match your display.

Toma

SCP-087-B - Wait till it's dark, put on your headphones and for a few minutes the only thing you'll be left with is gonna be your deepest fear. It's weird, but the only motivation to keep going forward is hope that you'll die just around the corner - it's so strong that you will hold the W button like a maniac snip.

You can download the game for free here.

You should probably delete that last bit since its a bit of a spoiler, no? I am still a bit pissed I spoiled the ending of the Fly game for myself by watching youtube impressions.

Just finished the Papers Please demo on my first playthrough; restarted the last day a few times as I didn't catch the forgery (it was that the permits did not have seals, not that the seals in the other documents were wrong) but it really didn't matter, considering, well, your salary during the final day does not affect anything anymore. Ended with all four members of my family in "OK" status (and enough money to pay for food and heating that day, although not rent).

like-a-boss.jpg

Sorry, felt the need to gloat. :D Who would have known someone would make a game where obsessive compulsive guys would have an edge?

Toma

Your wish, my command, :D.

Haha thanks ;)

Btw, I was a bit busy this week trying out the Factorio Alpha, so I didnt post much new here. Hope you guys dont mind all that much :p

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, he must have been looking for the "Indie Poems [March]" thread. Anybody could've made the same mistake. It was inevitable, really.

Toma

Oh, he must have been looking for the "Indie Poems [March]" thread. Anybody could've made the same mistake. It was inevitable, really.

He actually linked something. Click the red text. But that wont make it any less confusing.

Toma

Very strange IN/text adventure?

But its only 3 clicks long. And not really interactive. Is that even still a game? Thats just poetry, divided onto different pages, isnt it?

Am I missing something here?

Kipp

But its only 3 clicks long. And not really interactive. Is that even still a game? Thats just poetry, divided onto different pages, isnt it?

You missed the link in the question mark on the third page!

Hofmann

Let us know if it turns out to be interesting. I don't really have enough time right now to find out for myself. :p

Quite limited, but still well writen. It's not long, so it's worth taking a shot, even if you don't like these kind of stories.

There's a free app on iTunes called Versu - basically, it's an interactive storytelling platform, it even uses AI engine, so it's got a lot more potential. I would like to try it, but unfortunately I don't have an iPad.

http://www.versu.com/

Seems like a Marlboro commercial disguised as a choose-your-own-adventure story. It even has the Marlboro logo on the left, and name drops them like every four pages.

Haven't read all of it, but at least it's not mind-numinbly badly written as one would expect from such a proposition.

Hofmann

Seems like a Marlboro commercial disguised as a choose-your-own-adventure story. It even has the Marlboro logo on the left, and name drops them like every four pages.

Haven't read all of it, but at least it's not mind-numinbly badly written as one would expect from such a proposition.

I don't think so - there are too many negative connotations.

Toma

I seriously love to have a thread where we can talk even about these random small games that usually get no mention.

I don't think so - there are too many negative connotations.

I saw none at all. Sure, the piece has its fair share of violence, etc. but no direct negative connotations seem to be attached to the cigarettes themselves. Rather the opposite in fact. Not that it's easy to notice because most non-smokers (including me) project negative connotations into smoking itself, but we're not their target. :D

Hofmann

I saw none at all. Sure, the piece has its fair share of violence, etc. but no direct negative connotations seem to be attached to the cigarettes themselves. Rather the opposite in fact. Not that it's easy to notice because most non-smokers (including me) project negative connotations into smoking itself, but we're not their target. :D

I don't know too much about PR, but I suppose it's not a good idea to promote something using images of decaying flesh, suicide and mythical death symbols. I would rather use it in anti-smoking campaign, if you ask me.

I am drinking crude, dirty
gasoline: my stomach, the rusty
engine on Charon's slowest raft;
my intestines,

the

long

drop

into

Hades.

But why the fuck we're talking about this in indie games thread. lol.

Toma

I don't know too much about PR, but I suppose it's not a good idea to promote something using images of decaying flesh, suicide and mythical death symbols. I would rather use it in anti-smoking campaign, if you ask me.

But why the fuck we're talking about this in indie games thread. lol.

Because the discussion stemmed from an Indie game? ;p
Perfectly fine to discuss thoughts and ideas that came from these games (Besides, only no bump is a bad bump)

Raxum

Not sure if you guys would consider this indie news, but Steam just opened an "Early Access' section that has a few indie games in it and some of the greenlit games. Includes Kerbal Space Program, Starforge, Kenshi, Gnomoria and a few others.

Now time for me to figure how to get my alpha access for Kenshi and Gnomoria over from Desura to Steam. (I like having all my games in one big list, easier to figure things out when I don't know what I feel like playing.)

Toma

Not sure if you guys would consider this indie news, but Steam just opened an "Early Access' section that has a few indie games in it and some of the greenlit games. Includes Kerbal Space Program, Starforge, Kenshi, Gnomoria and a few others.

Now time for me to figure how to get my alpha access for Kenshi and Gnomoria over from Desura to Steam. (I like having all my games in one big list, easier to figure things out when I don't know what I feel like playing.)

Ah nice, they probably asked the same questions over in their forums. Let us know if you find out how to get Steam Keys for these games (Gnomoria especially in my case).

Raxum

Ah nice, they probably asked the same questions over in their forums. Let us know if you find out how to get Steam Keys for these games (Gnomoria especially in my case).

Looking at the discussions for the games on steam, the Gnomoria dev said he's working on getting steam keys out to people, and Kenshi is working on getting the Desura keys archived so they activate on steam. Hopefully won't take too long for them to get it sorted.

Toma

Looking at the discussions for the games on steam, the Gnomoria dev said he's working on getting steam keys out to people, and Kenshi is working on getting the Desura keys archived so they activate on steam. Hopefully won't take too long for them to get it sorted.

Ah cool, please keep updating us if you can and throw a message in there when they achieved that :) I'll make sure to let people know for Gnomoria.

Raxum

Ah cool, please keep updating us if you can and throw a message in there when they achieved that :) I'll make sure to let people know for Gnomoria.

No worries, will do.

Also, how many people on here use steam? Should we add people to have like-minded people to game with? My steam id is Raxxum if you feel like adding me.

Toma

Not sure if this answers your Gnomoria question, but:

Yeah, I just read that in the Gnomoria thread as well:

Gnomoria is available on Steam for $7.99 now, as an early access game.

Steam keys are already available for those who purchased the game on IndieGameStand in the "My Games" area when you log in.

gnomoria8tuoq.png

Pretty cool for the IndieGamestand purchasers. I actually bought it TWO times and got it via Desura and IndieGamestand.

Zoibie

Oh, cool, turns out I've got a copy of Gnomoria from IGS as part of the bundle from when I bought SpaceChem. Totally forgot about both of those things. Really eager to give it a try after watching the GiantBomb guys mess about with Dwarf Fortress a few months ago.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's not new and it was in some indie bundles so it's not some super secret discovery but looking at my steam library and seeing that out of 11 of my friends that own the game only 1 has actually played it sent me here immediately.

Offspring Fling! is a puzzle platformer in a very up-beat tone with it's cute graphic style and cheerful music. It's not very difficult but some of the levels require pretty precise timing/platforming.
cj0DWE4.png

If you don't already own it you can try the demo on games website: link

Hofmann

Because the discussion stemmed from an Indie game? ;p
Perfectly fine to discuss thoughts and ideas that came from these games (Besides, only no bump is a bad bump)

You're probably right. I just didn't want to derail the thread with my attempts to interpret this short narrative.

I thought that most fellow Gafers coming here are looking for more conservative gaming experiences and accumulation of these kind of games could put them off. As for me, I really like those, so if someone reads this and knows some obscure ''game'' that nobody has heard about - please share. There're bunch of us here that will appreciate those recommendations.

Kipp

I'm glad the trailer doesn't try to go for a deep, suspenseful mystery tone. It works rather well as is. Look forward to more Gone Home Scoops as time goes on.

Yeah! That's what really got my attention as well. The whole point of the game seems to be to uncover the mystery of what happened to whoever lived there, but not in a horror/creepy way. I felt like that one trailer with the riot grrrl music in the background showed something very fresh and new. It seems like it will give the game a much more lighthearted mood (which is good, because I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to scary games so I don't really enjoy them) while still maintaining the intriguing unraveling-a-mystery gameplay.
I'm struggling a bit to describe exactly what I mean, but hopefully that makes sense.
The only worry is that without any emotional suspense in the form of horror/scares it won't be very exciting to play, but hopefully the story is well written and can carry the game.

Top Bottom