• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Actually, would you guys object to have monthly votings on the games so that we could present these as recommendationsin next months thread? We could run a voting during the last week of these monthly threads.

Don't know if we need to go full vote. We could probably just do something where anyone in the thread can Nominate a game they're enjoying, and if enough people back it after it's been nominated, it goes into the next OP. If we get too many games and the list gets too long, just choose the top X.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Feeps "There came an echo" is still in dire need of Kickstarting help however!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iridiumstudios/there-came-an-echo-0

They're a bit dated, but have Frogatto and Project GENETOS been talked about?

Not yet :)

Don't know if we need to go full vote. We could probably just do something where anyone in the thread can Nominate a game they're enjoying, and if enough people back it after it's been nominated, it goes into the next OP. If we get too many games and the list gets too long, just choose the top X.

I'd probably allow people to nominate up to 5 titles if they wanted and then we'd pick the top 3 or 5 for the next thread. It should also be used to alleviate the starting content woes of the next thread a bit where newcomers have 5 games to checked while the thread still needs to be filled with other stuff that hasnt been mentioned in this thread yet.

GcRayden

Would it be alright if I posted an indie game I'm working on in this thread? I don't want to seem like I'm advertising, but I could really use opinions! It's not released yet, but I'm going to be releasing a demo first, which should be in the next few weeks.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Would it be alright if I posted an indie game I'm working on in this thread? I don't want to seem like I'm advertising, but I could really use opinions! It's not released yet, but I'm going to be releasing a demo first, which should be in the next few weeks.

Nah, people are free to post here whatever they want, even though I dont put "own" projects in the OP if no one else has any interest. But I should also mention that if you are looking for development specific input, this thread is probably a better place:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491431

Feel still free to drop a bit of info here though, as I am inherently curious :)

Toma

God damn. Star Drive looks fucking amazing. Basically like an updated GalCiv2:

StarDrive - 25$ as preorder/$30 on release day (PC)
220680_screenshots_2013-02-05_00008.jpg

http://www.stardrivegame.com/

4X game with the following description:StarDrive takes a module-based approach to ship design, allowing the player to create custom ship designs where the composition and placement of ship modules really matters to the performance of a ship in combat. In combat, if your portside armor is taking a beating, then rotate around and show them the starboard side! Hide behind a friendly capital ship's shields, warp into and out of the fray, launch fighters, lay mines, and so much more.

If anyone has more impressions,please let me know. I'd prefer a comparison to GalCiv2 especially. But overall this looks yummy as hell and I am very close to buying it.

The Gaf thread with overwhelming 6 responses:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512590

DocSeuss

If anyone has more impressions,please let me know. I'd prefer a comparison to GalCiv2 especially. But overall this looks yummy as hell and I am very close to buying it.

I'm not quite as drawn in as I was by Endless Space, which felt more approachable, but I think I'm beginning to get it.

Toma

Shame this thread is only about March. I'd love to see older games (and follow in the future).

This thread and the whole thread series will cover very recent and 2012 games. For anything that was prior to that, you could take a look at:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411010

And regarding anything in between, please take a look at Frozen Synapse and SpaceChem :)

Toma

I'm not quite as drawn in as I was by Endless Space, which felt more approachable, but I think I'm beginning to get it.

Did I see that right? You can "build" on your planets which it shows on a grid? How does the planet building system work? Is the 3D fighting system as deep as it sounds?

GcRayden

My game's name is Pixel Sk8er. This game is the manifestation of my obsession with the THPS games. I've been working on it a long time, since 08 actually; I started this project as a new programmer and worked my way up during the years, using my new found skills to constantly improve it. Now that it's almost done, I want to share it with the world, thus here is Pixel Sk8er:

Steam Greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116301867

Gameplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnn5Qm2DzHU

Pictures:

7E8DD57F0ABC86A5BC10139688EC9F389BAD4358

849862E4FCB7D40035126F040310B7019182DD8C

AD6A291976E642E9768271BDCE7F1C9BED8343D1

6BD11F895F1FBEDA5B004716A8088B00E99D17BF

5BF978881AEAAD839905015F6A0C4674FAA09EED

7061C0B12187635735D3A695362F4D1C4F98325E

5102617C784AC6E5C913F15BA4FC2B1B01E1A884

Please, let me know what you think and like my game on facebook (if you like it, of course!):

https://www.facebook.com/PixelSk8er

Toma

My game's name is Pixel Sk8er. This game is the manifestation of my obsession with the THPS games. I've been working on it a long time, since 08 actually; I started this project as a new programmer and worked my way up during the years, using my new found skills to constantly improve it. Now that it's almost done, I want to share it with the world, thus here is Pixel Sk8er:

Steam Greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116301867

Gameplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnn5Qm2DzHU

Please, let me know what you think and like my game on facebook (if you like it, of course!):

https://www.facebook.com/PixelSk8er

That is actually a rather neat idea for a game. Though these games live and die by how they actually play, so its hard to judge that from a video. I can already tell by fullscreening the video though, that this game wont be too nice for motion sickness :p

Considering the game is very fast, will that game offer a wider view mode? Like seeing 4 times more than what the screen currently shows, or is that impossible with your current graphical assets?

Toma

Added to future section of the OP:

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - PC
jhsPQtD.jpg

http://www.big-robot.com/2012/03/12/sir-you-are-being-hunted/

Hunted is set in a recognisably British landscape. Its inhabitants are a mockery of the aristocratic country gent and his ecosystem. Robots that ape tea-drinking, poachers that lurk in reed-beds, and red-eyed hounds that patrol the moor: these are the things you will be dealing with as you fight for survival. The game gathers up elements of my favourite things: exploration, AI interaction, survival, robots, hot drinks, and blends them into a rich pixelly pulp.

GcRayden

That is actually a rather neat idea for a game. Though these games live and die by how they actually play, so its hard to judge that from a video. I can already tell by fullscreening the video though, that this game wont be too nice for motion sickness :p

Considering the game is very fast, will that game offer a wider view mode? Like seeing 4 times more than what the screen currently shows, or is that impossible with your current graphical assets?

We used to have a more zoomed out approach, but the problem with it was the graphic assets were too small and caused it being too hard to see (something we didn't foresee being that this was our starting project). We came to the conclusion that by zooming in, the game became so much more meaningful.

For example: Look at the image of the level editor, that's our old zoomed out view. We switched from that because the skater was the size of the cursor and because being able to see most of the level took out a lot of the excitement of exploring and finding new lines, having to learn your way around the level instead of being able to see it all.

So it's a bit of both a gameplay design mechanic and because our system is flawed, haha. My wife gets motion sickness from video games, but she has no problem playing this (not to say that everyone else will be the same). The video is ok, but it really does a bad job of displaying the game - as in it's not something you can just look at and be sold, you just have to play it. That is why I'm releasing a demo soon! But I wanted to get people interested first so I'll have a ton of feedback when the demo releases! :)

Toma

We used to have a more zoomed out approach, but the problem with it was the graphic assets were too small and caused it being too hard to see (something we didn't foresee being that this was our starting project). We came to the conclusion that by zooming in, the game became so much more meaningful.

For example: Look at the image of the level editor, that's our old zoomed out view. We switched from that because the skater was the size of the cursor and because being able to see most of the level took out a lot of the excitement of exploring and finding new lines, having to learn your way around the level instead of being able to see it all.

So it's a bit of both a gameplay design mechanic and because our system is flawed, haha. My wife gets motion sickness from video games, but she has no problem playing this (not to say that everyone else will be the same). The video is ok, but it really does a bad job of displaying the game - as in it's not something you can just look at and be sold, you just have to play it. That is why I'm releasing a demo soon! But I wanted to get people interested first so I'll have a ton of feedback when the demo releases! :)

Haha , sure! I promise I'll take a look at the demo and properly judge myself. But I can sort of see where you are coming from with the exploration idea. I'll probably play it windowed in a bit of a smaller resolution though ;)

GcRayden

Haha , sure! I promise I'll take a look at the demo and properly judge myself. But I can sort of see where you are coming from with the exploration idea. I'll probably play it windowed in a bit of a smaller resolution though ;)

Yeah, we always play it in 1280x720 windowed mode, so maybe that's why we've never noticed the motion sickness thing. See, I'm already getting great feedback! :D

I'll ask my wife to check it out though and I'll get back to you on that!

You may get a little bummed out if you get it expecting GalCiv2. I think Stardrive is more similar to something like Sins of a Solar Empire, although I haven't played SoaSE for years so I may be remembering it wrongly. The planet development screen in Star Drive is very similar to Galciv and the ability to highly specialize ship design is similar (although the ship designer interface itself is fairly different.) I am liking it although it isn't nearly as immediately playable as Endless Space.

Toma

You may get a little bummed out if you get it expecting GalCiv2. I think Stardrive is more similar to something like Sins of a Solar Empire, although I haven't played SoaSE for years so I may be remembering it wrongly. The planet development screen in Star Drive is very similar to Galciv and the ability to highly specialize ship design is similar (although the ship designer interface itself is fairly different.) I am liking it although it isn't nearly as immediately playable as Endless Space.

Most of the games I loved arent immediately playable :p And Endless Space was perfect for easing someone into the genre, I agree. Is the fighting in SD still turn based? Or real time ala SoaSE? How does the AI diplomacy and AI behaviour feel? As in agression/Believability etc.

Someone either push me over the cliff or keep me from buying this game please. I love good 4X and turn based strategy games.

Toma

This is a rather simple puzzle game at its core mechanics but I am a sucker for the style they were shooting for here:

Back to Bed - Free (PC, Mac, Flash)
Back-to-Bed.jpg

http://backtobed.dadiugames.dk/

I'll try to keep this one short. Its an Escher-inspired Puzzle game with an artstyle reminiscent of Salvador Dali... with Portals. Unfortunately, the game is only a rather short vision (shouldnt take you longer than 30 minutes to finish), but thankfully these guys threw up a successful Kickstarter! I cant wait for them to go all out on the concept, artstyle, interactivity and challenge.

Unfortunately, the game only has 10 levels, and the first 8 are basically tutorial style easiness. This game has a lot of potential however. Another nitpick would be the controls, which were a bit annoying at times, but I hope they rectify those issues in a full release. The narrator was pretty funny too, although I really hope they go all out with the Escher level design influencing gameplay and not just using it as an art backdrop. IGF nominee btw.

This is a rather simple puzzle game at its core mechanics but I am a sucker for the style they were shooting for here:

Unfortunately, the game only has 10 levels, and the first 8 are basically tutorial style easiness. This game has a lot of potential however. Another nitpick would be the controls, which were a bit annoying at times, but I hope they rectify those issues in a full release. The narrator was pretty funny too, although I really hope they go all out with the Escher level design influencing gameplay and not just using it as an art backdrop. IGF nominee btw.

I played it, but didn't get far into it. It looks really awesome, but there was something lacking in the game play. I backed the Kickstarter for a few bucks because I am hopeful the full game has some more depth to it.

The game Pavilion took its spot for most anticipated in that style.

DocSeuss

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it a few pages ago, Toma, but to answer your question, yes, Waking Mars is awesome.

Did I see that right? You can "build" on your planets which it shows on a grid? How does the planet building system work? Is the 3D fighting system as deep as it sounds?

Yes. To unlock "locked" areas of the planet's surface, you'll need a biosphere. Apparently, at higher levels, terraforming changes this.

I haven't been involved in any battles yet, so I can't comment. Haven't explored shipbuilding either. Just trying to expand my empire and figure out how taxes/planet supplies work.

The conversation system's a bit silly; it doesn't reset to the previous dialog menu, so you have to manually get back to that, which seems odd. Still, it's fun meeting an alien talking about how pretty it is, or another that hints that it could totally beat you up, but won't because it doesn't know you well enough.

Toma

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it a few pages ago, Toma, but to answer your question, yes, Waking Mars is awesome.

Yes. To unlock "locked" areas of the planet's surface, you'll need a biosphere. Apparently, at higher levels, terraforming changes this.

I haven't been involved in any battles yet, so I can't comment. Haven't explored shipbuilding either. Just trying to expand my empire and figure out how taxes/planet supplies work.

The conversation system's a bit silly; it doesn't reset to the previous dialog menu, so you have to manually get back to that, which seems odd. Still, it's fun meeting an alien talking about how pretty it is, or another that hints that it could totally beat you up, but won't because it doesn't know you well enough.

Waking Mars is still not in the OP, because no one spoke out for it. Any impressions why you liked it? Oh and the StarDrive impressions are very much appreciated.

Hofmann

It's great that you posted it here, because it reminded me about another forgotten game with similar style that should definitely be added to the future section:

Mirage - It looks marvelous. I was stunned when I first saw it year ago, like something taken out straight from animated parts of Monty Python's Flying Circus. The game is in development for PC and Mac.

http://www.mariov.ch/mirage/ - There's a video on that site you should watch.

In Mirage you play an underwater tophat that has coupled together with a human foot, ready to explore its surreal surroundings. By grabbing eyes and other body parts along the way, the tophat can perceive the world differently.

I had a real hard time deciding which screen to choose.

And there're still people talking bullshit about pixel art - like it's the only style that independent games go for.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite threads. Thanks so much everyone for the thoughtful reviews and recommendations.
Besides playing a few of the games I've gotten in Humble Bundles I haven't really delved into indie games much. After looking through this thread though, I'll definitely check some of these games out.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Added to future section of the OP:

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - PC

Oh damn, that looks and sounds FANTASTIC!

I hope my shit-box can run it. Ugh, I'd love to pull the trigger on a decent gaming PC but I really shouldn't :/

I think I'll be able to. I definitely wanna try this though.

Toma

It's great that you posted it here, because it reminded me about another forgotten game with similar style that should definitely be added to the future section:

Mirage - It looks marvelous. I was stunned when I first saw it year ago, like something taken out straight from animated parts of Monty Python's Flying Circus. The game is in development for PC and Mac.

http://www.mariov.ch/mirage/ - There's a video on that site you should watch.

Holy crap. Wtf is this game? It seems like an exploration type game with limbs you need to adjust to progress or something?

Hofmann

Holy crap. Wtf is this game? It seems like an exploration type game with limbs you need to adjust to progress or something?

Yeah, that's how I see it. You get the ability to eat after you attach the mouth, move faster with more legs and so on.

Toma

Stuff you should look into, if not grabbing them outright:

Frozen Synapse - 4,56 (TWO copies!)
Tiny & Big - 2,49€
To the Moon - 1,99€
They Bleed Pixels - 4,99€
The Journey Down - 3,23€
Kairo - 2,99€
Avernum - 3,99€
Dear Esther - 1,18€
Dustforce - 3,49€
Qube - 1,99€

Stuff I'd like impressions about:

Darkout - 5,99€
Dark Scavenger - 2,09€
Cargo Commander - 1,99€
Driftmoon - 11,99€
ShadO - 3,73€

Edit: Was there already a thread about that? Otherwise I'll do it.

20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS (might work)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check those out and hopefully pick up a few.

Here is an indie game for you all, 99 Spirits. It is an interesting game especially those who want Japanese games localized.
The story revolves around a Japanese legend called Tsukumogami and as far as I understood it, it causes every object to come to life as ghosts on their 100th birthday, and you bust them.

Fruitbat Factory is behind the game and they released War of the Human Tanks earlier. Which I got during the indiefort sale.

Anyway they seem to have completed the Indiegogo, although some stretch goals are still there. This means the game will be released and now it can get some attention with the help of this thread.

P.S. : Don't forget to check GMG Indie Sale thread, you may find the game I mentioned earlier, War of the Human Tanks, on sale.

It's worth posting this in here from other thread. If your a point n click fan and maybe don't know about the thread.

I try and update as much as possible and have some great posters who keep it running along, highlighting offers too.

Most titles could be classed as indie and this type of game is pretty much the reason I own a PC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506077

Toma

It's worth posting this in here from other thread. If your a point n click fan and maybe don't know about the thread.

I try and update as much as possible and have some great posters who keep it running along, highlighting offers too.

Most titles could be classed as indie and this type of game is pretty much the reason I own a PC.

Most? They are pretty much all Indie :p Its basically a genre that bigger developers gave completely up on. great job with that thread btw :)

Hofmann

Thanks, it's a great thread, but you should add Papers, Please and Gorogoa to you selection, because they're really worth it.

Toma

Thanks, it's a great thread, but you should add Papers, Please and Gorogoa to you selection, because they're really worth it.

Thats a really tough topic actually. They are great games, no doubt. But Gorogoa isnt a traditional "point & click" adventure game. And Papers, please is debatable too. Both are adventures, both require you to search for ways to progress, but there is an inherent difference between these games. They seem to be a different sub genre. I'd love to hear if anyone has an idea what these subgenres might be.

Usually point and click adventures are structuring their game around the idea of what people want in a point & click adventure game. Papers Please especially seems to be build around the concept and cant seem to be categorized in the same way.

Hofmann

Thats a really tough topic actually. They are great games, no doubt. But Gorogoa isnt a traditional "point & click" adventure game. And Papers, please is debatable too. Both are adventures, both require you to search for ways to progress, but there is an inherent difference between these games. They seem to be a different sub genre. I'd love to hear if anyone has an idea what these subgenres might be.

Gorogoa may look weird, but the mechanics are similar to a classic PnC, not to mention games I saw there like Kentucky Route Zero or The Witness.

But it's just a suggestion. It would be a shame if someone overlook them.

War of the Human Tanks - $9.99 ($11.99 to get soundtrack included)(PC)
ss14.png

http://fruitbatfactory.com/humantanks/

4th place "Top 10 Indie Strategy Games of 2012" IndieGames
88/100, Pelit recommends: "A fast-paced and original strategy game that modernizes the classic game of Battleship." Pelit magazine
8.5/10 "War of the Human Tanks is a welcome addition to the tactical gamer's catalog. I think I'll be spending quite a bit of time with this one." John Ahlberg - So Last Gen
4.5/5 "War of the Human Tanks is a truly excellent title. Despite some overly lengthy dialogue, the storytelling is engaging and humorous and it's matched with action which is a heck of a blast." A Role Model - Paul Harrison
3.5/5 "It's absolutely a worthy title in its own right. The character banter is thoroughly entertaining, augmented by solid combat." Clark A. - Digitally Downloaded

Corto

Your thread is the reason I found The Sea Will Claim Everything. Fantastic game. I'm rooting for Ithaka of the Clouds to get its funding and then some. Thank you! ;)

Top Bottom