• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yea I'm downloading now, this looks fucking incredible. This thread delivers.

Can't wait for some of these.

You should try some of the other games in the OP if you havent yet :) Gorogoa, Zineth, Factorio, Kyoto, Micron, Spice Road, The Bridge, The Sea Will Claim Everything, Papers Please... and more are all very good games.

My God, Papers, Please could be the most harrowing thing I've played all year, and it's only in early Alpha. What a fantastic premise for a game. The things you could do with this. I'm actually tempted to make a thread for it to have more people talking about this, but I think it's too early for that yet. My father's family had a lot of problems with the [border] authorities in the GDR and ultimately fled from the GDR when he was a teenager to come to West Germany, and I also had family in Berlin who lived through the whole East/West separation, so maybe that's why the setting and idea of this hit me deeper than I thought. Fantastic pixel art, too.

I was worried that he wouldn't really take advantage of the setting and its possibilities, but after the end of the first day - I let everyone through, fuck the system - the (not yet working) stats screen came up and I've got chills as it showed "family status: wife - OK; son - OK; uncle - OK".

Chills. This thing could be something really intense.

Ok that sounds awesome.

Hofmann

And now me. Hm. These games are really hard to review due to the very subjective nature of how players react to these games. I wasnt too fond of the game initially, but now that I gave it a proper playthrough, I think I understand why people like it so much, and I'd agree with the notion of it being worth the asking price now.
To enjoy this game, you NEED to either use headphones or play it in an adequate environment for the sound to shine. The ambient sound design in this game is utterly brilliant and it was a huge mistake to only play this game with only "background" sound levels.
It was also a pretty stellar idea to procedurally generate the island (and another visual idea that I dont want to spoil), which offers a great incentive to dive into the world once more, once you played through it once. However, my problem with it was that the island felt way too generic. It worked for me as a music visualizer for procedurally generated music. Some parts were really, really, really well done, but my enjoyment came mostly from my aural experience with the game. Dont get me wrong, the game looks very nice, but the exploration element fell completely flat for me. I was more intrigued to look around the corner in Cesure, than I was in Proteus.
Another reason for my disappointment with the exploration element, was the fact that other than those pure exploration games, Proteus asked you to find certain spots on the island. While its theoretically a great idea to give the player some form of direction, I felt that it was detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. And while wandering around the island was enjoyable, the moments where I needed to find certain spots or when I got the feeling that I need to hurry up to advance the progression of the game, were quite a bit less enjoyable to me.

Overall, its still an enjoyable game, but the "gamification" of an exploration type game didnt quite work for me, although I got the impression that this "direction" and ingame progress, was actually the reason why so many people enjoyed it.

Nice impressions. I'm sure I'll pick it up down the line.

I'm curious about those spots, do they trigger some changes in the world, or are the artificial way to give the player some hand holding directions as you wrote - I didn't want to read too much about it before playing it, but I always thought of it as a sandbox you can play endlessly. The most important element in these kind of videogames is a sense of wonder you may experience while playing them, but this is a personal trait how you perceive those. My problem with Cesure was that from the very beginning I instinctlively knew there's nothing around the corner other than I saw already, so my curiosity faded very quickly. I hope that's not the case with this one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nice impressions. I'm sure I'll pick it up down the line.

I'm curious about those spots, do they trigger some changes in the world, or are the artificial way to give the player some hand holding directions as you wrote - I didn't want to read too much about it before playing it, but I always thought of it as a sandbox you can play endlessly. The most important element in these kind of videogames is a sense of wonder you may experience while playing them, but this is a personal trait how you perceive those. My problem with Cesure was that from the very beginning I instinctlively knew there's nothing around the corner other than I saw already, so my curiosity faded very quickly. I hope that's not the case with this one.

Hm. I am curious, what did you actually do in Cesure? I was intrigued to find certain spots, like the Heart for example, or the strange structures on the islands outside of the main building which I didnt expect. In Proteus on the other hand, I expected more than I actually found, which ultimately led to disappointment. I just didnt find the world interesting to explore.

And those aforementioned spots are a little bit of both. They tried to integrate that in a meaningful way into the game, and I think they succeeded by giving them some eye candy moments. But if you dont consider those "eye candy" moments, the way the game actually forces you to search out for these moments bothered me for some reason. Sometimes I felt rushed to do things I didnt want to do, and on other times I was just trying to pass time for the next "spot" to appear.

However, as I wrote in my impressions, the sound design was just plain amazing and if nothing else, definitely worth the money.

Impressions:
Papers, Please
iEOjmwFxctK72.jpg

What's great is the moral dilemma dealt to you through gameplay.
i62MYQ7S9SXQy.jpg

You've got a family to take care of, so you don't want to make any mistakes and have enough money to feed or keep them warm. So you've got to get more people accepted in the opening hours you're alloted (time goes really fucking fast). But it's hard to quickly snipe issues with if the person's passport hasn't expired, is from Arstotzka on first day, is it the right issuing city (which is the longest mental hurdle to cross-reference unless if you can memorise more than 20+ city names), whether they have the entry ticket later on and right date on that, and a few more things to worry about.

You can make 2 mistakes without penalities to your salary, so you can excuse a few people.

It's the usual risk/reward in games taken to a more disturbing level. It puts you into an uncomfortable position. I wonder if actual border officers gamify their jobs to keep that emotional distance for trying to take care of themselves and loved ones.
ibcjlHNBWZQqgH.jpg

The terrorist attack
was shocking, and how that affects gameplay.
---

Question: Am I the only one stuck on this "glory to Arstotzka" old dude? Can't deny him, he hasn't given any papers, he stays there forever. Alpha bug?
ibyWjlJPqlZ6BA.gif

Toma

Impressions:
Papers, Please
iEOjmwFxctK72.jpg

What's great is the moral dilemma dealt to you through gameplay.
i62MYQ7S9SXQy.jpg

You've got a family to take care of, so you don't want to make any mistakes and have enough money to feed or keep them warm. So you've got to get more people accepted in the opening hours you're alloted (time goes really fucking fast). But it's hard to quickly snipe issues with if the person's passport hasn't expired, is from Arstotzka on first day, is it the right issuing city (which is the longest mental hurdle to cross-reference unless if you can memorise more than 20+ city names), whether they have the entry ticket later on and right date on that, and a few more things to worry about.

You can make 2 mistakes without penalities to your salary, so you can excuse a few people.

It's the usual risk/reward in games taken to a more disturbing level. It puts you into an uncomfortable position. I wonder if actual border officers gamify their jobs to keep that emotional distance for trying to take care of themselves and loved ones.
ibcjlHNBWZQqgH.jpg

The terrorist attack
was shocking, and how that affects gameplay.
---

Question: Am I the only one stuck on this "glory to Arstotzka" old dude? Can't deny him, he hasn't given any papers, he stays there forever. Alpha bug?
ibyWjlJPqlZ6BA.gif

Totally random, but I love you making gifs of these Indie Games. I want you to hire you for this thread, lol. Can I pay you with... appreciation?

Hofmann

Hm. I am curious, what did you actually do in Cesure? I was intrigued to find certain spots, like the Heart for example, or the strange structures on the islands outside of the main building which I didnt expect. In Proteus on the other hand, I expected more than I actually found, which ultimately led to disappointment. I just didnt find the world interesting to explore.

Tried to reach the boundaries, to see that they're closer than they shold be; breath a life in to this sterile world to get some output, but every time I tried to communicate, all I was left was an echo of my voice. I felt that it's only build as a stage with some nice looking props, randomly scattered through the space without any meaning. That's way I need mouse, keyboard or pad - to be able to do something, and I don't mean it in typical win lose scenario associated with games. If not, I rather watch some beautifully shot film, or go to an art gallery, because without any direction you can't create a work of art.

Toma

Tried to reach the boundaries, to see that they're closer than they shold be; breath a life in to this sterile world to get some output, but every time I tried to communicate, all I was left was an echo of my voice. I felt that it's only build as a stage with some nice looking props, randomly scattered through the space without any meaning. That's way I need mouse, keyboard or pad - to be able to do something, and I don't mean it in typical win lose scenario associated with games. If not, I rather watch some beautifully shot film, or go to an art gallery, because without any direction you can't create a work of art.

Hm, fair enough. I think you'll be able to appreciate Proteus. I think I am still a bit sad that the island exploration wasnt my cup of tea, I guess.

I accept emoticons as payment. Lots of them.

happy-dancing-elephant-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wow, papers please is really amazing. Don't know if any of my actions would've actually changed anything but the way it tells the story is incredible.

Finished the demo on day 9, good stuff.

Toma

I am currently writing up a ... rather sizeable post for an new thread on the discussion of Indie vs 'AAA'. I dont expect anyone here to fully read it now, but would anybody here be willing to glance over it whether it actually makes sense? I am a bit worried sometimes that I talk about stuff that dont need to be talked about.

I am currently writing up a ... rather sizeable post for an new thread on the discussion of Indie vs 'AAA'. I dont expect anyone here to fully read it now, but would anybody here be willing to glance over it whether it actually makes sense? I am a bit worried sometimes that I talk about stuff that dont need to be talked about.

I'd say just post it, also make a blog. Your contributions are too good to be lost on GAF alone.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I wouldn't mind, but I agree that you might not have to and can just fire away. You do fantastic work normally so I don't see why this would be any different from you, even if it's even half as passionate as your love for indie stuff.

Toma

I'd say just post it, also make a blog. Your contributions are too good to be lost on GAF alone.

I wouldn't mind, but I agree that you might not have to and can just fire away. You do fantastic work normally so I don't see why this would be any different from you, even if it's even half as passionate as your love for indie stuff.

Haha, thanks guys. We'll see if I get myself a small shitstorm through that thread.
Or maybe I am just completely misjudging it and people will ignore it like all the other Indie Game threads :p

Hofmann

Well, I tried to give Césure one more chance, but except the disturbing ambience I couldn't find much more. I love urban exploration, even though you may find some places lifeless, after a closer look they start to reveal their long forgotten past through some old furniture left in the corner of the room for example. That's how you you achieve a connection and here I just couldn't find enough reference. Was the the pulsating core, some sort of natural energy with the structure build to harness it, or maybe was it something dangerous and the whole purpose was to entomb it. I think I've been given not enough to be pulled inside this world. Maybe I'm just not in the right mood.

BTW, Sorry for my english - it's not my first language and I'm not comfortable enough to express myself clearly sometimes.

Hofmann

Some controversial stuff, go on. It's always good to stirr a little bit to make a point and move in to the right direction.

Toma

Well, I tried to give Césure one more chance, but except the disturbing ambience I couldn't find much more. I love urban exploration, even though you may find some places lifeless, after a closer look they start to reveal their long forgotten past through some old furniture left in the corner of the room for example. That's how you you achieve a connection and here I just couldn't find enough reference. Was the the pulsating core, some sort of natural energy with the structure build to harness it, or maybe was it something dangerous and the whole purpose was to entomb it. I think I've been given not enough to be pulled inside this world. Maybe I'm just not in the right mood.

BTW, Sorry for my english - it's not my first language and I'm not comfortable enough to express myself clearly sometimes.

Nooo, please dont feel bad about your language or whatever. Besides I am only German myself, but I think you are having quite great English writing skills :) Also, I didnt want to get that hung up on Cesure actually, its perfectly fine to not like it since it definitely it definitely feels less of an "experience" compared to other games that have some more thought put into them. I still liked my short journey in there for whatever reason, but not everything that I find enjoyable on some level needs to be enjoyable by everyone else :)

I feel really bad though about "pushing" you to try the game again, which you apparently didnt like much. I definitely see how most people wouldnt find much in it, I just used it as a reference that I actually liked the visual aspect of the exploration more than I did in Proteus.

Toma

Oh and yeah, just in case I made you guys curious. Sorry! That thread will still take a day or two I think. I am currently sitting at 7000 letters and I am only half way done.

Hofmann

I feel really bad though about "pushing" you to try the game again, which you apparently didnt like much. I definitely see how most people wouldnt find much in it, I just used it as a reference that I actually liked the visual aspect of the exploration more than I did in Proteus.

Don't feel bad, I'm rather thankful:D It's great to experience something new.

Toma

So apparently Jonathan Blow is a bit miffed that no one is talking about Starseed Pilgrim, and this is the first time I'm hearing about the game. But it's been mentioned here by Corto and then others.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/311989231427932161

Funnily enough thats sort of the issue I am writing my thread about, lol.

And Starseed Pilgrim is a minimalistic gem of a game. Its almost perfect. I'd want even more interaction, but that would complicate things even further, which beginners already struggle with. An Expert mode would be cool though.

I just tweeted him that picture from my Music blog twitter account :-x May my twitter follows forgive me!

I've been working on Love+ since about 5pm yesterday, and I'm 7-levels into the Mac/Linux port. I'm hoping to put it on Ouya too, but that might not be a possibility.

Here's some gifs showing the new running animation / smooth camera. They're taken from the Greenlight page, so please ignore the obvious pandering.

OCm24Uz.gif

Q8NryAV.gif

Messed up this Gif, still watchable.
c67qigF.gif

Toma

I've been working on Love+ since about 5pm yesterday, and I'm 7-levels into the Mac/Linux port. I'm hoping to put it on Ouya too, but that might not be a possibility.

Here's some gifs showing the new running animation / smooth camera. They're taken from the Greenlight page, so please ignore the obvious pandering.

I love these 2D gaming gifs. :) Thanks for throwing an update in here btw.

Toma

This thread is the best thing ever.

Thanks :) Please grab a few games from the OP (quite a few are free) and write some impressions if you have the time. There arent too many people actively participating in this thread, which makes it hard to keep alive.

Quick reference list to the ones you shouldnt miss in my opinion:
Gorogoa, Zineth, Factorio, Kyoto, Micron, Spice Road, The Bridge, The Sea Will Claim Everything, Papers Please, Starseed Pilgrim

Finally finished day 9 of Papers, Please which is the whole beta. There is even more information you have to be keep track of with the entry permits, gender (one really interesting case), fingerprints, and body searches. It's overload man!

iSXvgXHBI4shz.gif

"The years have been cruel"
lol.gif
Having mutton chops is the real cruelty.

It's not a full game, but I'm itching to make a thread on this.

Toma

Finally finished day 9 of Papers, Please which is the whole beta. There is even more information you have to be keep track of with the entry permits, gender (one really interesting case), fingerprints, and body searches. It's overload man!

iSXvgXHBI4shz.gif

"The years have been cruel"
lol.gif
Having mutton chops is the real cruelty.

It's not a full game, but I'm itching to make a thread on this.

If you do, remember to give this thread a shoutout ;)
But I agree, most of these games deserve more exposure, unfortunate that most of these smaller Indie Game OT's are so shortlived. Your Neverhood thread probably already died I guess. But it would still bring some more attention to this game, so just do it. Maybe dont call it OT, so that you can just create a new thread when the full version is out :p

If you do, remember to give this thread a shoutout ;)
But I agree, most of these games deserve more exposure, unfortunate that most of these smaller Indie Game OT's are so shortlived. Your Neverhood thread probably already died I guess. But it would still bring some more attention to this game, so just do it. Maybe dont call it OT, so that you can just create a new thread when the full version is out :p

I know not to call a thread |OT| because there's like a whole queue and thread for it :p This game deserves some more exposure, plus being free right now might get more players.

I'm fine with my Neverhood thread, it went to page 2! XD Until any concrete info, and game not being available to everyone for possible impressions, it'll be slow.

Toma

Need to carve out some time to buy/try some of the games in the OP. So much good stuff. Maybe I'll try one this weekend.

Most of the ones that seem to pop up in this thread once in a while are pretty short and even free. If you havent tried them yet, Gorogoa and Papers Please are obviously very highly regarded recommendations in this thread.

And sorry if people are getting tired of me saying stuff like that over and over again.

Hofmann

So, after my intense love affair with the Slave of God, I decided to delve deeper into the world of Increpare Games, but the guy's just throwing those ideas like a machine gun, so it's kinda difficult to see through his portfolio. Do you have some good ideas, where to start?

Toma

So, after my intense love affair with the Slave of God, I decided to delve deeper into the world of Increpare Games, but the guy's just throwing those ideas like a machine gun, so it's kinda difficult to see through his portfolio. Do you have some good ideas, where to start?

I read about these on a different forum, havent given his games much time myself yet though:

missing
therapy game
frig

OCm24Uz.gif

Q8NryAV.gif

Messed up this Gif, still watchable.
c67qigF.gif

Looks fantastic, keep it up!

Most of the ones that seem to pop up in this thread once in a while are pretty short and even free. If you havent tried them yet, Gorogoa and Papers Please are obviously very highly regarded recommendations in this thread.

And sorry if people are getting tired of me saying stuff like that over and over again.

No worries! Honestly, we need to be reminded. Or at least I do.

Seeing as this is a monthly thread, how did you decide what to put in the OP? Are these all games relevant to March (either because, they're new, have updates, demos, episodes or whatever)? Is it a large dump because this is the first monthly? How are you going to decide what to put in the April thread? Just curious.

EDIT: Oh and I love the Love+ .gifs

Wok

Thank you, Toma, for creating this thread. I could have missed it since it was not advertised in the thread I am usually in.

Are you referring to a certain game which you could have missed or did you mean the thread in general? In any case, glad you found your way here :)

The thread in general.

Toma

No worries! Honestly, we need to be reminded. Or at least I do.

Seeing as this is a monthly thread, how did you decide what to put in the OP? Are these all games relevant to March (either because, they're new, have updates, demos, episodes or whatever)? Is it a large dump because this is the first monthly? How are you going to decide what to put in the April thread? Just curious.

EDIT: Oh and I love the Love+ .gifs

Since we didnt have any major Indie threads last year, I'll include 2012 games whenever someone posts about them. For march we collected games that just released and a "bit" older recent games that deserved a mention in a gaf thread compilation. The only rule is that the game is somewhat recent and that someone feels strongly enough about it to post it here.

I also think its important to have shorter monthly threads for these kind of topics because even monthly threads are already collecting so many games that people feel a bit overwhelmed.

Thank you, Toma, for creating this thread. I could have missed it since it was not advertised in the thread I am usually in.

Are you referring to a certain game which you could have missed or did you mean the thread in general? In any case, glad you found your way here :)

Toma

Actually, would you guys object to have monthly votings on the games so that we could present these as recommendationsin next months thread? We could run a voting during the last week of these monthly threads.

DocSeuss

Death, Inc is no longer an ongoing Kickstarter, unfortunately. The demo was really fun.

In exchange for the extra copy of Bioshock Infinite I got with my new graphics card, a friend gifted me a copy of StarDrive, which is a really, really cool indie 4X game. I've only been able to play it for an hour or so, but what I've seen, I've greatly enjoyed. I want to tell you I love it, but it's very complex, so if you're a Master of Orion kind of person, you'll probably get a lot more out of it than I do. The Beta currently leaves a lot of stuff unexplained (but I've never played a 4X game with a good tutorial), so I'm figuring it out as I go, but as I do, I get better, and as I get better, I have more fun.

Plus, as Space-Cthulhu, you can join up with Space Bears and murder humans and cute owls. So there's that.

If you like indie gaming, then presumably you like PC gaming. If you like PC gaming, then you've probably played STALKER and know that it's one of the best video games ever made. If you haven't, then you should probably get on that, because, seriously, it is. Anyways, the franchise may have died at the hands of GSC's mercurial CEO, but not to fear, because Jim Rossignol--you know, the mastermind behind Rock, Paper, Shotgun, has been working on Sir, You Are Being Hunted, which is the British tweed version of that. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I didn't see it in the important posts on the first page, so, well, here you go. The game's got stealth, robo-hounds, and nearly every description sounds pretty much like everything I want in a video game.

Definitely the most exciting looking indie project right now, in my mind.

I intended to link more, but I'm operating on three hours of sleep, and my day's still got another five hours before I can head home. They're not coming to mind right now, except for Monaco, which has always looked amazing, and is apparently going to be released in a month or so.

Do they count as indie games if they're being published by small publishers? I mean, most people refer to Hotline Miami as indie, even though Devolver Digital published it. Where do we stand on Payday 2, which is releasing this summer, and looks jaw-droppingly incredible?

Actually, would you guys object to have monthly votings on the games so that we could present these as recommendationsin next months thread? We could run a voting during the last week of these monthly threads.

Sounds fun, I would have no objections.

I had a go on that 6180 the Moon game that is recommended in the opening post and I also now highly recommend it. I wanted to give it a quick go and ended up playing it for like 30 minutes. Super relaxing music and graphics combined with VVVVVV style gameplay, good stuff.

Toma

Death, Inc is no longer an ongoing Kickstarter, unfortunately. The demo was really fun.

In exchange for the extra copy of Bioshock Infinite I got with my new graphics card, a friend gifted me a copy of StarDrive, which is a really, really cool indie 4X game. I've only been able to play it for an hour or so, but what I've seen, I've greatly enjoyed. I want to tell you I love it, but it's very complex, so if you're a Master of Orion kind of person, you'll probably get a lot more out of it than I do. The Beta currently leaves a lot of stuff unexplained (but I've never played a 4X game with a good tutorial), so I'm figuring it out as I go, but as I do, I get better, and as I get better, I have more fun.

Plus, as Space-Cthulhu, you can join up with Space Bears and murder humans and cute owls. So there's that.

If you like indie gaming, then presumably you like PC gaming. If you like PC gaming, then you've probably played STALKER and know that it's one of the best video games ever made. If you haven't, then you should probably get on that, because, seriously, it is. Anyways, the franchise may have died at the hands of GSC's mercurial CEO, but not to fear, because Jim Rossignol--you know, the mastermind behind Rock, Paper, Shotgun, has been working on Sir, You Are Being Hunted, which is the British tweed version of that. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I didn't see it in the important posts on the first page, so, well, here you go. The game's got stealth, robo-hounds, and nearly every description sounds pretty much like everything I want in a video game.

Definitely the most exciting looking indie project right now, in my mind.

I intended to link more, but I'm operating on three hours of sleep, and my day's still got another five hours before I can head home. They're not coming to mind right now, except for Monaco, which has always looked amazing, and is apparently going to be released in a month or so.

Do they count as indie games if they're being published by small publishers? I mean, most people refer to Hotline Miami as indie, even though Devolver Digital published it. Where do we stand on Payday 2, which is releasing this summer, and looks jaw-droppingly incredible?

Thanks for the post :) I'll go through it later to add missing stuff. Payday can probably be considered Indie, but there the idea of how to classify games definitely breaks a bit apart.

Sounds fun, I would have no objections.

I had a go on that 6180 the Moon game that is recommended in the opening post and I also now highly recommend it. I wanted to give it a quick go and ended up playing it for like 30 minutes. Super relaxing music and graphics combined with VVVVVV style gameplay, good stuff.

Yea, definitely a fun game. Took me by surprise as the screenshots didnt look like much. And the monthly voting idea is sort of an idea to allowed for a small shortlist of highly recommended indie games if someone doesnt feel like going through a list of 50 games.
We'll see how it works out I guess.

Top Bottom