• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Auditorium Duet - Successfully kickstarted. http://www.cipherprime.com/games/duet
aduet007-1330443771.jpg

Auditorium is a unique puzzle/music game. Although it can be difficult, it never gets frustrating. You never get the feeling that you're a part of weird science experiment, that you're being tested like some lab rat. It gently flows through you until you find a solution. With the visual improvements, it's being developed in Unity instead of Flesh, and addition of co-op multiplayer it could become even better than original.

Added to the future section.

To the Thread lurkers!
Check the last page for lots of new stuff.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I love this thread, so, so much.

Really glad that some people like this thread :) But I hope that some people will take up an agenda at one point to check out more games. Most of these are rather short anyway, so its like a 30 minute investment to check them out. I would have expected more people to just grab one of the games in the OP once every few days and post some impressions.

I want you to do that guys! Sharing impressions and talking about games is the best thing about this kind of thread.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
My God, Papers, Please could be the most harrowing thing I've played all year, and it's only in early Alpha. What a fantastic premise for a game. The things you could do with this. I'm actually tempted to make a thread for it to have more people talking about this, but I think it's too early for that yet. My father's family had a lot of problems with the [border] authorities in the GDR and ultimately fled from the GDR when he was a teenager to come to West Germany, and I also had family in Berlin who lived through the whole East/West separation, so maybe the setting and idea of this hit me deeper than I thought. Fantastic pixel art, too.

I was worried that he wouldn't really take advantage of the setting and its possibilities, but after the end of the first day - I let everyone through, fuck the system - the (not yet working) stats screen came up and I've got chills as it showed "family status: wife - OK; son - OK; uncle - OK".

Chills. This thing could be something really intense.

Yeah, I've been keeping a good eye on the development for this title once I found it earlier this year. It's shaping up to be quite a thing. If you are interested, he also made a game The Republia Times which seems to take place around that time in a different region of this world. You play an editor in chief, choosing articles to gain loyalty of the nation and readership. There is family relations in this game too, but it's more of do 'X' within the time limit or the family dies and you get resigned. Something I hope isn't a indication of depth with Papers, Please.

Either way, it's cool to see games that share the same world but different views within it.

Edit: I've also got Starseed Pilgrim yesterday after upgrading my Probability 0 purchase to Probability and friends pack. Gonna jump in that tonight and see the fuss.

Toma

Yeah, I've been keeping a good eye on the development for this title once I found it earlier this year. It's shaping up to be quite a thing. If you are interested, he also made a game The Republia Times which seems to take place around that time in a different region of this world. You play an editor in chief, choosing articles to gain loyalty of the nation and readership. There is family relations in this game too, but it's more of do 'X' within the time limit or the family dies and you get resigned. Something I hope isn't a indication of depth with Papers, Please.

Either way, it's cool to see games that share the same world but different views within it.

Edit: I've also got Starseed Pilgrim yesterday after upgrading my Probability 0 purchase to Probability and friends pack. Gonna jump in that tonight and see the fuss.

I'd also like to hear an opinion on Probability 0. People seem to like it, but I didnt quite understand why yet.
And I really liked the experience I had with Starseed Pilgrim. Take your time when diving into it. It takes a while to actually find out how to play the game. Thats part of the experience and playful nature of it.

Toma

Oh and yeah, I bought TowerClimb a few days ago and I still wasnt able to access the game.
ONLINE DRM IN AN OFFLINE INDIE GAME.

... Hooray for the future.

The gameplay I saw looked really fun, but for some reason, the game doesnt want to let me in on the fun.

Toma

Oh god, this thread is amazing.

Of course, it was made by a Vita-bro!

Thanks Toma.
A certain group of people seems to value these type of games more than others ;) I wont even start to imagine which of fhese games I'd love to have on Vita. Way too many.

Please pick a few games and share your impressions! I'd love to see more.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I'd also like to hear an opinion on Probability 0. People seem to like it, but I didnt quite understand why yet.
And I really liked the experience I had with Starseed Pilgrim. Take your time when diving into it. It takes a while to actually find out how to play the game. Thats part of the experience and playful nature of it.

If I had to pin down what Probability 0 is, I guess I'd say an arcade-like Spelunky. A game can maybe last you 5 minutes if you're good enough. There is no real goal of the game, besides reaching further or killing more than you previously have.
You acquire ex by either killing or breaking special blocks to level up and upgrade yourself in a skill tree, either making you stronger or giving you abilities to give you more of a fighting chance to last to your eventual downfall. You'll die and start a new.
It has simple controls and actions, but learning the physics and and enemy patterns is the challenge of the game. Learn and adapt.

I guess if platformers and rouge-likes are your fancy it can be a good game to pick up. I'll still do that, give it 20 or so minutes of my time there and there.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
After spending an hour of Starseed Pilgrim, I've just stumbled my way into learning the mechanics of the plants. Now I can't wait to dive back in.

Hofmann

Memory Of A Broken Dimension - Holy Mother of God! I totally forgot about this one. Just watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvrRXoUjJA

Ezra has created a first person tool that allows you to tune into broadcasts, radio signals that need exact synchronisation to capture images. These images forge a landscape which you traverse and explore. The slightest directional movement fragments the similes and you are constantly re-evaluating where you are. The sensation is like having infinite epiphanies; not understanding anything around you but for fractions of seconds; everything solidifies and becomes clear. Tuning in TV channels seems appropriate, but imagine walking inside of them as you are doing it. The feelings this generates are often antonyms of one another; shades of claustrophobic openness or relaxed intimidation. Most of the time I did not know what I was viewing but what I recognised, or thought I recognised was all the compulsion needed to see more. Videogame history has a lot of diverse experiences, but I have never seen anything like this. It is fitting that MOABD was featured at a Sense of wonder because that is exactly what this is; a sense of wonder.

Source

Don't know how I could forget about this project - together with The Witness and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture it is my most anticipated independent videogame.

Toma

After spending an hour of Starseed Pilgrim, I've just stumbled my way into learning the mechanics of the plants. Now I can't wait to dive back in.

Glad you like it :) I found it really engaging. I got to the third island, and I'll still need to find out where the fourth is.

Memory Of A Broken Dimension - Holy Mother of God! I totally forgot about this one. Just watch the video:

Source

Don't know how I could forget about this project - together with The Witness and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture it is my most anticipated independent videogame.

That is super weird, and super interesting at the same time. Though I dont quite get what "Radiowaves" are meant to do here. Are you tuning in to a radio station while playing it? And is the content on screen completely generated by the radiowaves, or is that a premade level that changes its structure depending on the radiowaves?

Toma

Not that its the actual interesting part of the game, but the glitchy DOS input section before the game is already "playable" here:
http://www.datatragedy.com/wipmoabd/

Not much to see except some DOS interaction, but I just played with it for a few minutes, so I might as well post it.
Oh and added to OP.

Random aside: The OP contains currently 42 playable recent Indie games and 30 Indie games in the future section. Shaping up nicely!

Toma

A very nice writeup for Waking Mars (http://www.tigerstylegames.com/wakingmars/)
:
Nearly thirteen years ago, Looking Glass Studios—arguably the most important and innovative video game developer of the ’90s—was shut down. Since that time, Looking Glass’s brand of smart, experimental game design has been pushed forward by the company’s former employees. Take Randy Smith. In 2008, he and David Kalina co-founded Tiger Style Games, a studio whose mission statement is to create unusual and non-violent games for the iPad and iPhone. The team’s Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor (2009) was impressive; but their newest work, Waking Mars (2012), surpasses not only Spider but also most games released last year.

Waking Mars is a game of discovery, which could easily be spoiled by too much description. In brief, the player controls the astronaut Liang Qi, who explores and researches the fictional Lethe Cavern on Mars. Soon enough, the cave reveals itself to be home to a complex ecosystem of alien life; and the player must carefully tend and manipulate this ecosystem in order to advance. Thanks to the unscripted interactions between the game’s environments and creatures, Waking Mars is a playground of emergent gameplay. But this is no mere gardening simulation: it is a densely atmospheric adventure-mystery, with an incredible soundtrack and surprisingly great storytelling, writing and voice acting.

Waking Mars feels like a game for adults, in the truest sense. Few current games are as far removed from the banal, killing-filled “thrill ride” experience that has come to define the industry. The game does not hold the player’s hand, nor does it lead her down a narrow corridor of set-piece moments. It places the player in an interesting world and says, “Go play.” In this regard, Tiger Style has picked up where the trailblazers of ’90s game design left off. We are excited to see the company’s next project. Those interested in Waking Mars may find it on the App Store, on Steam or on GOG.com, the last of which currently is selling it for half price. A trailer for the game may be located after the break.
It was included in the long ass post of Desura games I posted 2-3 pages ago. Definitely makes me intrigued. Someone go check out that game and report back :p

Edit: Also, cool thing which I need to remind myself of to play later - Factorio.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just chipping in to say I stumbled across this thread the other day and it's a fantastic idea. Love these little indie games and seeing what's out there collected together here is great.

I played a little of Papers Please and I agree with what's been said here, even though it's obviously still in the early stages it's really well put together. The art style and animation are really well done, and it's deepening sinister-ness really adds to the atmosphere.

Stampy

Wow, this thread is awesome. Will definitely be checking some of those games and commenting here. Thanks for all the hard work.

Toma

Wow, this thread is awesome. Will definitely be checking some of those games and commenting here. Thanks for all the hard work.
Please do that. It would be a shame not to give these games the attention they deserve. I hawk eye this thread, so I should be able pick up any discussion if it comes up :)

Is there a good gaming blog that covers indie games well? I don't mean like, Kotaku or wherever that will occasionally write up indie games amongst their other coverage, I mean just a blog exclusively covering the indie scene.

Toma

Is there a good gaming blog that covers indie games well? I don't mean like, Kotaku or wherever that will occasionally write up indie games amongst their other coverage, I mean just a blog exclusively covering the indie scene.
Indiegames.com covers basically everything that releases. This thread is sort of meant to represent these kind of blogs and websites on GAF, so if you see anything over there that is interesting to you, please post it here as well.

Indiegames.com covers basically everything that releases. This thread is sort of meant to represent these kind of blogs and websites on GAF, so if you see anything over there that is interesting to you, please post it here as well.

For sure, and this is just what I was looking for, with some longer write ups and interviews with devs and stuff, so thanks!

Hofmann

Glad you like it :)That is super weird, and super interesting at the same time. Though I dont quite get what "Radiowaves" are meant to do here. Are you tuning in to a radio station while playing it? And is the content on screen completely generated by the radiowaves, or is that a premade level that changes its structure depending on the radiowaves?

From what I understand they're not real world radiowaves, just some in game equivalent. The game is basically a FPP free exploration game, with partly procedurally generated worlds, sounds included. There's also some hidden meta story holding the whole thing together.

Random aside: The OP contains currently 42 playable recent Indie games and 30 Indie games in the future section. Shaping up nicely!

Yeah, it's shaping up nicely, even without some obvious choices like Proteus or Antichamber among other big hitters. Great work Toma wrapping the whole indie scene for GAF, Thanks.

Looking through the first page I really want to play Kentucky Route Zero, but the price is little too high for me right now, hope it's gonna be on sale soon.

Toma

From what I understand they're not real world radiowaves, just some in game equivalent. The game is basically a FPP free exploration game, with partly procedurally generated worlds, sounds included. There's also some hidden meta story holding the whole thing together.

Yeah, it's shaping up nicely, even without some obvious choices like Proteus or Antichamber among other big hitters. Great work Toma wrapping the whole indie scene for GAF, Thanks.

Looking through the first page I really want to play Kentucky Route Zero, but the price is little too high for me right now, hope it's gonna be on sale soon.

Well I'd even include the "big" Indie games, like Proteus or Antichamber, since these threads are meant to be a culmination of interesting Indie Games. But I only add stuff that people actually feel strong enough about to post them here ;) If you played and liked Proteus and Antichamber, make a post and I'll add it.

Hofmann

Well I'd even include the "big" Indie games, like Proteus or Antichamber, since these threads are meant to be a culmination of interesting Indie Games. But I only add stuff that people actually feel strong enough about to post them here ;) If you played and liked Proteus and Antichamber, make a post and I'll add it.

They look extremely right up my alley, but haven't played them yet. There're many fellow Gaffers who did, so it would be great to see some impressions here.

Toma

They look extremely right up my alley, but haven't played them yet. There're many fellow Gaffers who did, so it would be great to see some impressions here.

I actually own and played Proteus, but didnt fell as much in love with it as I would have thought. Thats why I would sort of appreciate someone else writing up a blurb if he liked it. But eh, maybe I'll include Proteus and Antichamber later just for completeness sake, since these games were very highly received.

Hofmann

I actually own and played Proteus, but didnt fell as much in love with it as I would have thought. Thats why I would sort of appreciate someone else writing up a blurb if he liked it. But eh, maybe I'll include Proteus and Antichamber later just for completeness sake, since these games were very highly received.

It's even better to hear some unfavorable opinion of such well received title.

Toma

It's even better to hear some unfavorable opinion of such well received title.

Yeah.. you got a point there. I'll give it another whirl tonight and write up my impressions here later. We'll see if they are still a bit unfavorable.

Hofmann

Ah very nice thread indeed keep up the good work OP, think I will get involved.

Not exactly a recent game/experience but blew me face off for the sheer crazy, seizure inducing raving of it all.

Slave of God
http://www.increpare.com/2012/12/slave-of-god/

This! One of most thought provoking games I played lately. The feeling of being caught in this sensory overload state is as close as it gets to a real thing. The terrifying moment when you're getting lost in the middle of something beyond and later finding peace in the morning sun was a cathartic experience for me. And those people drinking alone, thinking about something completely different, despite overwhelming noise around them - simply a genius touch. Highly recommended!

Hofmann

Some worth taking a look projects found in the depths of Greenlight hell.

TRIP - Looks like Proteus with some Noby Noby Boy vibes thrown in to the mix.

http://teamkosmonaut.com/trip/

The Plan - It's free. Emotionally engaging short interactive piece about life an death, blah blah blah. If you like this kind of stuff, you know the deal. Somehow it reminds me a bit of Journey.

http://www.krillbite.com/theplan/

From the same company, yet to be released.

Among the Sleep - The Toddler Adventure 4... well, not really, rather Toddler Nightmare Simulator.

http://www.krillbite.com/ats/

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Source

This looks like everything I never knew I wanted in a game. And those two you mentioned are my big anticipated indie titles right now as well. We've got a wavelength, you and I.

Hofmann

This looks like everything I never knew I wanted in a game. And those two you mentioned are my big anticipated indie titles right now as well. We've got a wavelength, you and I.

It's good to hear that someone here shares your nonconventional gaming interests.

The best thing about this thread, is that you find a game you've never heard about before and your mind is blown after the short session, like being hit by a train in the centre of your brain. With big games you usually do some research before opening a wallet, but here everything is fresh an spontaneous.

Toma

Some worth taking a look projects found in the depths of Greenlight hell.

TRIP - Looks like Proteus with some Noby Noby Boy vibes thrown in to the mix.

http://teamkosmonaut.com/trip/

The Plan - It's free. Emotionally engaging short interactive piece about life an death, blah blah blah. If you like this kind of stuff, you know the deal. Somehow it reminds me a bit of Journey.

http://www.krillbite.com/theplan/

From the same company, yet to be released.

Among the Sleep - The Toddler Adventure 4... well, not really, rather Toddler Nightmare Simulator.

http://www.krillbite.com/ats/

Are those just random games, or games you'd recommend? Oh and am I just blind or am I unable to find the PC version of the first game for download? Scrolling through the devlog I cant find any mention of why the PC version is not available for purchase.

Ah very nice thread indeed keep up the good work OP, think I will get involved.

Not exactly a recent game/experience but blew me face off for the sheer crazy, seizure inducing raving of it all.

Slave of God
http://www.increpare.com/2012/12/slave-of-god/

Added to OP.

Hofmann

Are those just random games, or games you'd recommend? Oh and am I just blind or am I unable to find the PC version of the first game for download? Scrolling through the devlog I cant find any mention of why the PC version is not available for purchase.

I've only checked The Plan and it's quite interesting, but you probably already know I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. I haven't played Trip, but I thought it looks good as well. You can buy it under purchase at the top of the page, for PC and MAC. And Among the Sleep is still ongoing project. I read somewhere that Cliff Bleszinski is hyping the game, so it might be something special.

Musiol

Sorry for posting it here:

Through the years Neverhood fans have asked for another game, and I'm partnering with my EWJ and Neverhood buddies Mike Dietz and Ed Schofield to make a full sized, PC and Mac point and click adventure game in clay and puppet animation. New characters, but in my usual style. Terry Taylor is doing the music. Here's where you come in. What would you, the Neverhood fans, want to see in a new game? We'll read every suggestion and actually try to make all of the good ideas happen! Now it's your turn:

http://www.facebook.com/TheNeverhoodGame

Toma

Alright, finally put a few minutes into Factorio and it gets a definite recommendation:

Factorio - Free Demo (PC)
screenshot-3.jpg

http://www.factorio.com/

This game shows endless promise. I am kinda hyped after playing the demo. Unfortunately, there is no purchaseable full version yet, but oh boy. I'll buy this day one. Its basically an RTS mixed with SpaceChem. In the beginning you'll run around gathering resources. Then you'll use those resources to buy simple mechanisms, and THEN with those mechanism you'll create mechanism that help you automatising everything. The system is so damn cool. Give the demo a try.

Just for fun, here is the quote from the dev website:
You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting alien enemies. Use your imagination to design your factory, combine simple elements into ingenious structures, apply management skills to keep it working and finally show your close combat skills in encounters with planet inhabitants who don't really like you.

This game will likely get a sizeable cult following once more people are aware of it. Its still a bit too technical for the mainstream I guess, but it is really splendidly executed. I hope they finetune the UI elements and overall polish but man. This thing instantly jumped high on my most anticipated gaming list for the near future. I hope the later parts of the game hold up as well, but people should really check it out.

Toma

Finished the Demo of Factorio, which is basically only 3 levels long. This is a screenshot (plus some Paint magic!) of the last level to give you an idea of what the game is about:

9ILPbmH.gif

Thats a more advanced setup where they gave you lots of stuff from the start. Usually you'd start out with nothing, build an axe, chop wood, make a basic coal mining facility that you need to power yourself with coal and then work your way up. In that level, you basically built a pump to supply water, which then gets heated up and the steam from the water gets transformed into electricity in the generator, which then supply all the other means of production as well. Oh and yeah, all that on huge maps that let you explore, defeat enemies and find secrets.

Soooo awesome.

Stuff included in the Alpha (set to release this month):
The game will be released in its current state as an alpha in mid March 2013. The alpha will be available to all backers. The alpha is already playable and contains following things (however not graphically finished or polished):

2 extra campaign levels in three difficulty settings
singleplayer freeplay (couple of hours playing on a procedurally generated map)
researching technologies for unlocking recipes or improving existing structures
programmable signals to get fine grain control over your factory
logistic robots to ease transportation in big factories
more game content
assembling machines to automatically craft things
transport belts to ground to allow belts crossing
filtering inserters
laboratories to perform research
steel processing
entities variations (chests, inserters, etc.)
more weapons (flamethrower, rocket launcher, landmines)
map editor
lua scenarios scripting
moderate modding support (all game element properties are defined as data)

Stuff planned for full release:
If we get the funding, the expected release date will be May 2013. The release will feature (on top of the alpha):

longer main campaign
overall tuning and polishing (singleplayer freeplay, map editor, etc.)
finished graphics (including better GUI :))
richer technology tree (e.g. way more modifiers - speed, energy efficiency, health)
more game content
accumulators to store energy
rocket towers
larger iron furnace
transport belt recombinators
better combat mechanics
batteries to enable special attack effects (slow enemies, ...)
splash damage attacks
armor varieties
little robots flying around the character and protecting him
variety of enemy creatures
technical stuff (automatic downloader / updater, speed improvements)

And just so you dont get any ideas, the OT is MINE!

Toma

Just finished Proteus. Will need to sort my mind out and write up something tomorrow.

A very nice writeup for Waking Mars (http://www.tigerstylegames.com/wakingmars/)
:

It was included in the long ass post of Desura games I posted 2-3 pages ago. Definitely makes me intrigued. Someone go check out that game and report back :p

Edit: Also, cool thing which I need to remind myself of to play later - Factorio.

Concerning Waking Mars. I got that a while back in one of the indie bundles and although the concept is fantastic and I do appreciated the encyclopedia of alien life that fills out as you discover it, I was underwhelmed by it. I found it mechanically dull beyond the initial thrill of new discovery it's relatively limited as to what you actually do with each plant and you end up repeating tasks to get through similar rooms. Also, this is more personal but something about the graphics style really bothered me, like the sprites don't looks like they beyond together.

Toma

Concerning Waking Mars. I got that a while back in one of the indie bundles and although the concept is fantastic and I do appreciated the encyclopedia of alien life that fills out as you discover it, I was underwhelmed by it. I found it mechanically dull beyond the initial thrill of new discovery it's relatively limited as to what you actually do with each plant and you end up repeating tasks to get through similar rooms. Also, this is more personal but something about the graphics style really bothered me, like the sprites don't looks like they beyond together.
Aw,Too bad. I sort of feared that might be an issue. Thanks for the impressions.

Sorry for posting it here:

Through the years Neverhood fans have asked for another game, and I'm partnering with my EWJ and Neverhood buddies Mike Dietz and Ed Schofield to make a full sized, PC and Mac point and click adventure game in clay and puppet animation. New characters, but in my usual style. Terry Taylor is doing the music. Here's where you come in. What would you, the Neverhood fans, want to see in a new game? We'll read every suggestion and actually try to make all of the good ideas happen! Now it's your turn:

http://www.facebook.com/TheNeverhoodGame

This is pretty fucking huge news! Made a thread here.

Toma

Alright, finally getting to the Proteus impressions. It took a bit longer because I was busy arguing in the SimCity threads. People should play more Indie Games to avoid these day 1 cash grab traps.

My God, Papers, Please could be the most harrowing thing I've played all year, and it's only in early Alpha. What a fantastic premise for a game. The things you could do with this. I'm actually tempted to make a thread for it to have more people talking about this, but I think it's too early for that yet. My father's family had a lot of problems with the [border] authorities in the GDR and ultimately fled from the GDR when he was a teenager to come to West Germany, and I also had family in Berlin who lived through the whole East/West separation, so maybe that's why the setting and idea of this hit me deeper than I thought. Fantastic pixel art, too.

I was worried that he wouldn't really take advantage of the setting and its possibilities, but after the end of the first day - I let everyone through, fuck the system - the (not yet working) stats screen came up and I've got chills as it showed "family status: wife - OK; son - OK; uncle - OK".

Chills. This thing could be something really intense.

Yea I'm downloading now, this looks fucking incredible. This thread delivers.

Can't wait for some of these.

Toma

Alright, lets get onto those Proteus impressions.

First of all, the OP blurb:

Proteus - $9,99 (PC)
tumblr_m06dp1T1qa1qztfv2o2_500.png

http://www.visitproteus.com/

There is no jumble of videogame assets here, no back story, no audio diary, nothing, just an island, somewhere, with beautiful noise and curious life. Its a bit short with only 40 minutes for one trip, but has exceptionally high quality sound design and manages to engage the level on a very fundamental level without writing or saying a single word.

And now me. Hm. These games are really hard to review due to the very subjective nature of how players react to these games. I wasnt too fond of the game initially, but now that I gave it a proper playthrough, I think I understand why people like it so much, and I'd agree with the notion of it being worth the asking price now.
To enjoy this game, you NEED to either use headphones or play it in an adequate environment for the sound to shine. The ambient sound design in this game is utterly brilliant and it was a huge mistake to only play this game with only "background" sound levels.
It was also a pretty stellar idea to procedurally generate the island (and another visual idea that I dont want to spoil), which offers a great incentive to dive into the world once more, once you played through it once. However, my problem with it was that the island felt way too generic. It worked for me as a music visualizer for procedurally generated music. Some parts were really, really, really well done, but my enjoyment came mostly from my aural experience with the game. Dont get me wrong, the game looks very nice, but the exploration element fell completely flat for me. I was more intrigued to look around the corner in Cesure, than I was in Proteus.
Another reason for my disappointment with the exploration element, was the fact that other than those pure exploration games, Proteus asked you to find certain spots on the island. While its theoretically a great idea to give the player some form of direction, I felt that it was detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. And while wandering around the island was enjoyable, the moments where I needed to find certain spots or when I got the feeling that I need to hurry up to advance the progression of the game, were quite a bit less enjoyable to me.

Overall, its still an enjoyable game, but the "gamification" of an exploration type game didnt quite work for me, although I got the impression that this "direction" and ingame progress, was actually the reason why so many people enjoyed it.

Top Bottom