• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Keasar

Here's the deal - I got about £20 in my steam wallet and I want to treat myself (I might have one of two jobs at the end of the week, more details later)

This is my selection of gaming needs:

Stanley Parable
Wolf Among Us
Football Manager 2014
Paper's Please (Oh shit this is on sale today..)
Starseed Pilgrim
Deadly Premonition
NUCLEAR THRONE

Not all indies I know - but this place has the best taste on the forum.

Stanley Parable, Wolf Among Us and Paper's Please are all great choices from what I have played so far of those.

Moobabe

As someone who missed out on the initial release schedule of The Walking Dead, I'd go with The Wolf Among Us. It has all of the best aspects of TWD so far with some of the best art direction I've seen this year. But with the end of the year drawing near, a little bit of list making bias is making me want to change my mind. Stanley Parable has the makings of something great, and going by the demo, it shouldn't be missed. Also, Paper's Please is great, but you'll probably be able to get it for much cheaper during the holidays. I've still yet to play Starseed Pilgrim sadly.

Thanks for the replies guys - I think the ones I'm leaning towards most are Wolf Among Us and The Stanley Parable. I don't want to be that guy that misses out on two, potentially excellent, narrative games (again)

Here's the deal - I got about £20 in my steam wallet and I want to treat myself (I might have one of two jobs at the end of the week, more details later)

This is my selection of gaming needs:

Stanley Parable
Wolf Among Us
Football Manager 2014
Paper's Please (Oh shit this is on sale today..)
Starseed Pilgrim
Deadly Premonition
NUCLEAR THRONE

Not all indies I know - but this place has the best taste on the forum.
I think in times of overall bang for your buck, I'd go with Wolf Among Us. Granted, I haven't played the game but after TWD, Telltale have proven themselves IMO. And the art style looks absolutely wonderful.

For uniqueness, I'd have a tough time choosing between Stanley Parable and Papers Please

Not sure about the others. But my advice would be to resist temptation and wait for the next big Sale. Trust me, my funds are just as limited as yours and it sucks to buy a game only to see that you could have waited a bit and gotten that game and like three others for same amount

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
As someone who missed out on the initial release schedule of The Walking Dead, I'd go with The Wolf Among Us. It has all of the best aspects of TWD so far with some of the best art direction I've seen this year. But with the end of the year drawing near, a little bit of list making bias is making me want to change my mind. Stanley Parable has the makings of something great, and going by the demo, it shouldn't be missed. Also, Paper's Please is great, but you'll probably be able to get it for much cheaper during the holidays. I've still yet to play Starseed Pilgrim sadly.

Papers is 40% off atm for 5€, whereas Wolf among us is 22€ at 0% off. Given that I fully expect at least 33% off for WAU, that would be a 7€ saving if you wait until the winter sale compared to about 1€ saving for an additional 10% off for Papers please, your logic doesnt make much sense :p

Papers is 40% off atm for 5€, whereas Wolf among us is 22€ at 0% off. Given that I fully expect at least 33% off for WAU, that would be a 7€ saving if you wait until the winter sale compared to about 1€ saving for an additional 10% off for Papers please, your logic doesnt make much sense :p

Yeah, I realize now that I didn't fully think that through. My thought process went something like, "Buy TWAU now to join in on the discussion and anticipation of more good episodes, then consider Paper's Please when it goes on sale later on in the year again". I was trying to consider the money issue along with that. A shame it didn't turn out that way.

Twinduct

So against better judgement, I bought Godus.
Has some potential, but core stuff (landscaping/ resource gathering) is terribly implemented right now. Takes forever to 'shape' your world and it feels really inaccurate. Sadly the 'shaping' of your world is pretty core to moving the game forward, so I found myself trying to create layers of land to expand my people on .... which takes way too long.

The game also demands too much from the player. Every action almost requires you to be there and click on something. It's like being the god of puppets!

Oh well, hope they improve on the game. From what I read they seem to 'fix' bad design decisions voiced by the community, so maybe It'll end up being a decent product.

If you want a very different sort of God Game, do try Skyward Collapse. It's not for everyone and is a bit of a paradigm shift, but a fascinating experiment.

I actually liked it quite a bit! My games ended up becoming a spam fest once mystics showed up. But still enjoyed the idea. Resource management is just a damn pain near the mid to late game. Felt the CPU could pump out like 4 times my limit even when he only had like one town!

Might play some more later, Not completely sure why I stopped

If you are fine with some puzzle elements in a light strategy game with lots and lots of charme - play some more Reus! You probably already bought it anyway and played it less than 2 hours, so go play that :p

Lol, actually played it more than 2 hours :p
Lovely game, but not quite the game I wanted when I got it. Too much puzzle elements and not enough titan roar :/

Still enjoyed it and the Art style alone is worth every cent! (Even if the Swamp Giant freaked me out)

Reus and From Dust are fairly decent.

I almost completed From Dust! Not a bad idea to get it done. Loved the art in the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Twinduct, then it looks like Godus is the one.

Apparently godus was a bad decision for him ;) Too bad though.

Aahhhhhhhhhhh, I just remembered a good one! Twinduct, did you play Reprisal? We featured it back in the april thread.

Reprisal - $3,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
007.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/reprisal

Closest thing you get to the god-style games from the 90s. You need to guide a tribe, terraform the land and help them growing to obliterate any enemies in the way of your tribe. At the time of writing 50% off, and highly recommended. Music, gameplay and graphics are all top notch.

There is also a free version out there, highly recommended, but its wonder is a bit on a ... smaller scale than what the 90s god games tried to achieve.

Ugh...
(From my RogueGAF thread)
Disappointed and thought this would be a discussion about true Rouge-likes. Instead it is the meaningless use of the word today. I don't want to get into a semantics argument but the word just means it is a "hard" game now. When you call Demon Souls a Rouge-like it really doesn't mean anything anymore.
Are we having this discussion again? No, Demon's Souls is not a true roguelike. I'd call it a rogue-lite or say it has roguelike-esque elements.

Can't a genre evolve and expand over time? Can't traditional turn-based roguelikes exist beside action roguelikes or games that have roguelike aspects? If people can't discuss this stuff, maybe that's why this thread continues to die.

This thread isn't just to discuss "true" roguelikes. It's to discuss all aspects of the genre, from what makes a roguelike to their rogue-"lite" brethren to its evolution over the years
What do you think?

Twinduct

Apparently godus was a bad decision for him ;) Too bad though.

Aahhhhhhhhhhh, I just remembered a good one! Twinduct, did you play Reprisal? We featured it back in the april thread.

Reprisal - $3,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

There is also a free version out there, highly recommended, but its wonder is a bit on a ... smaller scale than what the 90s god games tried to achieve.

Bought it on Desura the day it was released and yeah it would have been the better options have I not bought both now!

I don't think Godus is bad ... it's just that the core concept doesn't feel fun enough in it's current state. It's cookie clicker without the actual sense of progression.

However I do think that with enough care, the game itself can actually be pretty fun and considering the changes made from release to now, it's save to assume their on it

(Would not buy at current price point though, if it was 50% less though)

Twinduct

Ugh...

What do you think?

Purest will always be annoying as they demand evolution but refuse to accept it when it shows up.
Personally I don't think it's fair to force criteria on an already niche topic. Some of the better roguelike experiences I've had comes from evolved elements in the genre.

Would tell him to get off his high horse. There is enough purest boards/ threads if he wants that restriction.

I am always confused between Godus and Reus.

Name wise or concept wise?
Doesn't matter though, when confused, just ask which one is named by Pieter M :p

Ugh...

What do you think?

I love different takes on the traditional roguelike, be they twists on the tileset or cribbing that punitive style that makes the genre so enjoyable...we get enough traditional roguelikes that don't fall far from the original tree that there's room aplenty for experimentation.

What's not to like about trying something new? Good heavens. Roguelikes. Serious business.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Ugh...

What do you think?
I am not wholly against "stretching" of the genre, but as soon as I read Demon's Souls, I dismissed that thread as one I would not be interested in frequenting.

I don't mean to be mean, but I honestly have no idea what could be considered "roguelite" or "roguelike-esque" about Demon's Souls. It's a methodical action game with a foreboding atmosphere...

I am not wholly against "stretching" of the genre, but as soon as I read Demon's Souls, I dismissed that thread as one I would not be interested in frequenting.

I don't mean to be mean, but I honestly have no idea what could be considered "roguelite" or "roguelike-esque" about Demon's Souls. It's a methodical action game with a foreboding atmosphere...

I think it's just the punitive 'death' aspect that people liken FROM to have cribbed from the old games. To be fair, death in Dark/Demon's Souls is quite a distance from stricter roguelikes and fairly overblown on GAF.

Can see two sides, but I think the discussions are far more interesting than the demarcation.

Either I suck, or the controls are really lacking in the Interference demo. The cyberpunk presentation and art style is great, along with the music.
ibbdBRndAi8sJU.gif

But man for a 2D stealth platforming game, there are issues. I don't know if it's going for a cinematic platformer vibe with the animation priority, but either way it's frustrating and these are just tutorial stages.

ibUGts26OOXeO.gif

If you're going to make the game hard by not allowing any weapons (at least not ever told about them) or stealth attacks, you should have some tight controls to work with that. Dropping down on a platform to do a ledge grab is more awkward than it should be. Rather than just pressing B to drop down to grab the edge automatically, you have to be on the very tip and quickly press in the opposite direction to grab on or then you're met with enemy fire/lasers.

There are many areas in the Stealth level that are just dead ends.
jd4yMlbWFMTzt.jpg

jbrF9W55wtYBCw.jpg

I'm not even sure where to go because I either end up on a dead end or just jumping down on a previous area. I don't even know what my objective is. There's a lower section of getting into the district that is impossible and you don't get even a reward for the harder platforming challenge by going down this alternative route into the district.

ibeGnnQLdJD3G4.gif

Why are the roofs so low where you can't normally just run and jump off a platform? There is not much vertical area for many of the jumps. If you're doing that where doing a big jump is much harder, why make it even more difficult by having two enemies with huge cones of vision patrol below?

The character is so slow in climbing ladders. He looks like a parkour dude so I would have expected a little more speed and agility in the platforming.

The Glitcher (device that lets you move around platforms) level fares much better, but I'm not sure if I can get past this obstacle.
jtog7i0Lp8IfV.jpg

jMIDKLhRxd5BD.jpg

iZ6bJWN6ZSuFl.jpg

I tried moving one platform near to the top right (see above), but you can't just run past the enemy or you'll get blasted. You can't move the platform you're on. It would work if I could move my platform to the right, so I can jump onto the ledge of the top right platform and then jump from there to the next area.

Someone else who has actually finished the Interference demo (maybe More_Badass?), please enlighten me.

Luxuria Superbia - If you want to share your love or hate for the game, do it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694438

Juliet - Juliet is a platform game focused on narrative in a magical world. In the game, the protagonist is telling a bed story to her brother, Gabriel, which is the game the player is actually playing.

Who could resist cute glass wearing redhead.

More as usual on Sunday.

Juliet looks beautiful and is made by Brazilian developers. I still need to play Luxuria Superbia and see for myself what this game is about.

Someone else who has actually finished the Interference demo (maybe More_Badass?), please enlighten me.

I'm downloading now, giving it a go in a bit. Although it does sound like it has a few issues. This is just me being weird and superficial, but something about the game rubs me up the wrong way due to the stealth dude wearing a high visibility jacket.

About Interference, I also found the controls clunky and in need of a lot of work, but I felt that the foundation is set for a fantastic experience. The visuals and effects (love the rain), the potential of the level glitching mechanic, the sci-fi noir story and environments, I feel outweigh the lacking controls at the moment. I left some feedback on IndieDB (like I also couldn't figure out how to use the taser), so hopefully this elements will be refined and improved

About Interference, I also found the controls clunky and in need of a lot of work, but I felt that the foundation is set for a fantastic experience. The visuals and effects (love the rain), the potential of the level glitching mechanic, the sci-fi noir story and environments, I feel outweigh the lacking controls at the moment. I left some feedback on IndieDB (like I also couldn't figure out how to use the taser), so hopefully this elements will be refined and improved

It's a looker of a game for sure, but man playing and retrying 20 times since there are no checkpoints in the stealth level is an exercise in frustration. At least I know others are having issues with the controls so I didn't come off as a debbie downer.

It's a looker of a game for sure, but man playing and retrying 20 times since there are no checkpoints in the stealth level is an exercise in frustration. At least I know others are having issues with the controls so I didn't come off as a debbie downer.
Oh yeah and the lack of checkpoints....
But still, in alpha, in development, it's excusable for now.

rybrad

I am of the same mind here. I haven't read the thread but purists of anything can be super annoying so I tend to avoid "rogue-like" threads even though it is my favorite kind of game. If you talk about a game that has MANY rogue-like features (but not all) and refer to it as a rogue-like (or rogue-lite or rogue-like-like or whatever), people will understand the core of the game and that is what really matters. Throwing a game in that is just "hard" and punishes death, as a rogue-like, serves no one in determining their interest in a game.

Personally I see the Souls games as "gateway" games. They introduce the most basic foundations and mindset that gamers need to succeed in a roguelike, such as playing defensively and cautiously, dealing with losing hard-earned progress, fearing the unknown, etc. Thats why I think they have a place in a discussion about roguelikes, "lites", and every permutation in between

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What kind of game is Thirty Flights of Loving? Never heard of it, but it looks interesting.

It's an explosive short form game combining elements of spy flicks and fiction while using the strengths of the gaming medium to tell you a book's worth of info in about 15-20 minutes. Buying TFOL gives you two games - Gravity Bone is the prequel to TFOL and is freely available but you can access it via the main menu after starting TFOL for the first time. It has a bit more game-y elements like jump puzzles but still extremely short.

TFOL is closer to wander-games (Proteus, Dear Esther) than anything else, which bothers a lot of people but I think they miss the point of the two. It's all about teaching you about the world, the mission, the people and what went wrong without any dialog whatsoever. It utilizes some film techniques not often used in gaming like the Jump Cut (which the Stanley Parable Demonstration used, much to my pleasure) to deliver rapid information in a compressed timeframe. So in an essence, its the exact opposite of Dear Esther.

I didn't get the point while I played, but it wasn't til after I finished that I realized how much the game told me without anyone speaking. Highly recommended, though I know your budget is a bit tight right now.

Thanks for the impressions. Now that I think about it, I remember playing Gravity Bone a while back. Think I'll pass on this one, rather save for Quadrilateral. Now hopefully that game isn't as short as Thirty Flights or Gravity

OMG! Telelgitch DLC!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/240820/

The Guns and Tunes DLC for Teleglitch: Die More Edition will grant players access to eight new starter weapons and utilities . A soundtrack of original music created by the Teleglitch developers deliver five haunting tracks that convey the constant tension of T3P’s chilling game world and complements the actual in-game ambient soundtrack.

8 new weapons and utilities to add to your arsenal
5 music tracks that will enhance your Teleglitch experience
A new option to randomize your weaponry at the start of the game

This...this changes everything.

Edit: reading on RPS reveals that the included music doesn't play in-game, it's a separate soundtrack

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
OMG! Telelgitch DLC!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/240820/

The Guns and Tunes DLC for Teleglitch: Die More Edition will grant players access to eight new starter weapons and utilities . A soundtrack of original music created by the Teleglitch developers deliver five haunting tracks that convey the constant tension of T3P’s chilling game world and complements the actual in-game ambient soundtrack.

8 new weapons and utilities to add to your arsenal
5 music tracks that will enhance your Teleglitch experience
A new option to randomize your weaponry at the start of the game

This...this changes everything.

Edit: reading on RPS reveals that the included music doesn't play in-game, it's a separate soundtrack

Yeah it's just the preorder DLC finally available to everyone. Glad they finally got around to it though.

Relating to your previous post, Brendon Chung is streaming himself coding Quadrilateral Cowboy right now!

kafiend

I am of the same mind here. I haven't read the thread but purists of anything can be super annoying so I tend to avoid "rogue-like" threads even though it is my favorite kind of game. If you talk about a game that has MANY rogue-like features (but not all) and refer to it as a rogue-like (or rogue-lite or rogue-like-like or whatever), people will understand the core of the game and that is what really matters. Throwing a game in that is just "hard" and punishes death, as a rogue-like, serves no one in determining their interest in a game.

I must admit my love for the genre can't keep me out of the Rogue threads but I do usually end up with gritted teeth as the thread devolves into an intricate discussion of what is/isn't deserving of the "Rogue."

Anyways, point of post was to say I'm thoroughly Enjoying Bionic Dues despite its design oddities/disparities. Basically, you take four Robots into a turn based battlefield but only control one at a time. You swap robots on the fly (taking one turn) and each robot type has a different skillset so you use them as the situation fits.
I can see myself sinking a lot of hours in the game. Its pretty fast moving, funny and I love the soundtrack - odd choice of title theme and all.
I read the RPS wot I think and agree with a lot of it. Although I do find it a lot more amusing than the RPS write up states.

Its £5.24 at 25% off for another 20 hours of so. Here's the link - Bionic Dues.

RobotFabricator.jpg

Heads up, the next IGS feature is Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
Over 300 Unique Abilities - no abilities are redundant or made obsolete by better versions; many inspired by fantasy games
Roguelike - with procedural level layouts, backgrounds, and AI the challenges are unlimited!
65 Fully Customizable Ships - five archetypes, with many hybrids to choose from
20-Plus-Hour Story-Driven Campaign - universe based on a full-length Sci Fi novel
Online Multiplayer Modes - Wave Survival, Base Battles, and Deathmatch
NEW! Gladiator Mode - How many procedurally generated bosses can you beat?
NEW! Zombie Horde Survival - Slow, but resilient, the zombie ships crawl ever closer. How long can you survive?
Reliable Multiplayer - drop-in and drop-out of games with seamless host migration; no waiting in lobbies - ever!
Classic Arcade Inspired Mini-games - earn Sage abilities by conquering challenges in The Subrostrum
Local Coop - Duo ships allow a friend to act as a copilot, usable in multiplayer modes, second half of campaign, and some challenges

The best moment in Fez, that never gets old for me, is when you enter a world that looks like only narrow pillars and then you rotate...and realize that those are only the sides of buildings. That just makes me smile every time.

Also the first you go through a door and into an area in the background. That was a great moment.

And I love the detail of time passing, with the sky changing colors, and how one side of a wall may be sunny but the other side will be shaded.

Can't believe I waited so long to play this

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
You know, I should probably read the last few posts in this thread before dropping in at 7 AM

Bought this awhile ago, only played a few mins though so no impressions to give.
Will play some more later, but seemed solid from what I played, combat seemed pretty fun.
I just started playing last night myself (actually had the game since August but keep crashing)

For $1, this is a steal. It's fast and fun. I haven't started making my own build, but the base powers and weapons are already fun to use. And if the trailer is any indication, they'll only get better. Nice visual effects, interesting story, multiplayer

Toma

I am really looking forward to our thread internal end of the year voting. Friendly reminder, I am thinking of a rule to only allow those to vote who voted at least once in one of the monthly threads, so if you read this and havent voted yet but plan on doing so in the yearly voting, you should start voting :p

I am really looking forward to our thread internal end of the year voting. Friendly reminder, I am thinking of a rule to only allow those to vote who voted at least once in one of the monthly threads, so if you read this and havent voted yet but plan on doing so in the yearly voting, you should start voting :p
This would be the first one ever right? Since you started the thread this year?

So many good choices already and we still haven't experienced Stanley Parable, Teslagrad, or Quadrilateral Cowboy. And if the RimWorld public alpha comes out this year, that might be another contender for me

Toma

This would be the first one ever right? Since you started the thread this year?

So many good choices already and we still haven't experienced Stanley Parable, Teslagrad, or Quadrilateral Cowboy. And if the RimWorld public alpha comes out this year, that might be another contender for me

Yeah, I am still pondering over some other rules. 20 votes minimum and such.

It's going to be tough choose the best games of this year, I'm sure the list will be well diversified.

Top Bottom