• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nice. Looking forward to squeezing in some time tonight. Dunno how you guys get the time to devote to all these games!

Swear it's some sort of time dilation chamber and a laptop.

Thats encouraging and annoying in equal measure, like you its the game I've wanted for a while, but I'd promised myself I'd not buckle under the pressure and buy it...

Curse my weak will. Doesn't help that I'm working from home today too :)

It still seems a bit light on content, but I really appreciate what they already have. For an alpha, its a pretty engaging and fun start. The basic gameplay drive is progress and random encounters, which reminded me a bit of FTL actually. Like you'd get a message by some people and they ask whether they can enter your spacebase. Either they are migrants, or they are pirates which you will need to fend off and then can take their space ship parts for your base. Its still rather simple atm however (alpha and all), so be prepared for a long journey until they added more depth to it. However it seems ... fun? Its hard to put it, but the foundation and polish already there is really convincing that they could pull off an interesting game here, especially because it seems to differ so much with its approach to random encounters, compared to other sim games.

If anyone here is interested in it, but just wants an inaccessible amount of depth, you wont enjoy it much atm, but I am glad I spent 14€ for it and look forward to the journey these developers started with that game.

So on Thursday, I'll be posting my 100th article on my blog. I was thinking of starting an opinion piece section. Articles about topics like why stealth is empowering, why roguelikes/difficult games are appealing, why I don't rate games, stuff like that. Do you think people would want to read that or even care?

You have enough page views to allow your blog to branch out a bit, do it :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can someone explain TF2 outpost to me? Never used it before but don't want to pay £20 for spacebase

TF2 outpost lists the games and what keys someone wants for it. In my case, I was buying 8 TF2 crate keys on the market (for 1,76€ each) and traded them with the guy who gave me spacebase in the steam trade thing.

Moobabe

TF2 outpost lists the games and what keys someone wants for it. In my case, I was buying 8 TF2 crate keys on the market (for 1,76€ each) and traded them with the guy who gave me spacebase in the steam trade thing.

Do I search for spacebase? Or do I put up a listing for it?

ekim

So I got myself a new PC last week and I'm now looking for some good indie games. I didn't really follow the scene but I remember a game named "The Forest" (http://survivetheforest.com/) - is there something similar out? I'm interested in the survival aspect but not really a fan of horror. Any recommendations for good first person exploration games are appreciated. (I played Gone Home and Dear Esther)

Lamptramp

It still seems a bit light on content, but I really appreciate what they already have. For an alpha, its a pretty engaging and fun start. The basic gameplay drive is progress and random encounters, which reminded me a bit of FTL actually. Like you'd get a message by some people and they ask whether they can enter your spacebase. Either they are migrants, or they are pirates which you will need to fend off and then can take their space ship parts for your base. Its still rather simple atm however (alpha and all), so be prepared for a long journey until they added more depth to it. However it seems ... fun? Its hard to put it, but the foundation and polish already there is really convincing that they could pull off an interesting game here, especially because it seems to differ so much with its approach to random encounters, compared to other sim games.

I generally get a lot of entertainment out of starting and restarting such games pretty casually to experiment and mess about before jumping in to the deep end proper so it sounds good to me, its certainly looking very nice for such an early stage, and I'm a sucker for rewarding compelling game types even at early stages to help get them some exposure.

Thanks for the comments matey.

Hofmann

So I got myself a new PC last week and I'm now looking for some good indie games. I didn't really follow the scene but I remember a game named "The Forest" (http://survivetheforest.com/) - is there something similar out? I'm interested in the survival aspect but not really a fan of horror. Any recommendations for good first person exploration games are appreciated. (I played Gone Home and Dear Esther)

I'm not an expert when it comes to survival games, but I've heard a lot of good things about Sir, You Are Being Hunted. If you're looking for less systematic games, as you mentioned GH and DE, then try MirrorMoon: EP, Proteus and of course The Stanley Parable which is being released tomorrow. I would also recommend Kairo, although it's a bit more puzzle oriented.

If you don't want to spend any money, there are always free games to be found in these threads: Outer Wilds, Paradis Perdus, Memory of a Broken Dimension, Souvenir, Hyde, Slave of God, Remembering, Katabasis and Icefishing V just to name a few to scratch some exploration/experimental itch.

Pixel Piracy
IndieDB page
Really good IndieStatik article
Pixel Piracy is a side-scrolling 2d, real time strategy/sandbox/simulation game created by indie developer Vitali Kirpu. In the game, the player controls the crew of a pirate ship. The player must sail the ship over a number of sea zones, each with events procedurally generated in a roguelike fashion, while facing against pirates and other hostile forces, recruiting new crew members, keeping discipline and outfitting and upgrading their ship and many more. Combat takes place in pausable real time, and if the ship is destroyed or the crew lost, the game ends, requiring the player to restart.

Encounter_1.jpg
booty_anywhere.jpg

Toma

Reposting from the Steam thread (it's not an in-joke or a link to a sale, so it's probably wasted there):

Oho, curious what that is about. What did you like about it?

Twinduct

Dear lord, why do I venture into the steam community hubs and read the discussions! It's like staring into a dark void of the fledgling soul of humanity.

I pray for the devs having to go there and actually try to communicate with these illiterate mongrels.

Moobabe

Reposting from the Steam thread (it's not an in-joke or a link to a sale, so it's probably wasted there):

Ah the Steam thread. Chatting about Irish actresses and how many games we all own. It's much more peaceful in here.

Toma

Dear lord, why do I venture into the steam community hubs and read the discussions! It's like staring into a dark void of the fledgling soul of humanity.

I pray for the devs having to go there and actually try to communicate with these illiterate mongrels.

Which game?

Oh and to all those RimWorld backers, be prepared to meet Toma Gafferson, who still needs to decide whether he wants to become a pirate raider, colonist, traveler or trader.

ekim

I'm not an expert when it comes to survival games, but I've heard a lot of good things about Sir, You Are Being Hunted. If you're looking for less systematic games, as you mentioned GH and DE, then try MirrorMoon: EP, Proteus and of course The Stanley Parable which is being released tomorrow. I would also recommend Kairo, although it's a bit more puzzle oriented.

If you don't want to spend any money, there are always free games to be found in these threads: Outer Wilds, Paradis Perdus, Memory of a Broken Dimension, Souvenir, Hyde, Slave of God, Remembering, Katabasis and Icefishing V just to name a few to scratch some exploration/experimental itch.

Hah! Fantastic! I'll look into it :)
I also noticed that I have Miasmata in my Steam Lib - it didn't really run on my Laptop when I bought it. I guess I will give it another try. :)

Zia

Oho, curious what that is about. What did you like about it?

It's a very tight, simple, propulsive "synaesthetic" platformer. Less clunky and reactive, like Sound Shapes, the tonal shifts are really impactful (mentioned in the above review). It's also quite difficult with the first boss I played featuring a bullet hell mechanic. Again, it's a simple game, but I also think it's a near-perfect game. Very appropriate from the lead designer of Limbo. Shouldn't cost too much, either. I'm betting $7.50 tops, probably $5.

Twinduct

Which game?

Oh and to all those RimWorld backers, be prepared to meet Toma Gafferson.

Well any Early Access game ... or any new game tbh. Specifically Spacebase DF9 right now. It's like youtube comments exploded on the forum

Scary Fact: Searching for Toma Gafferson on Google yields that post you made .. it's like instant cached :S
Scary Fact 2: Just learned that 'Kentucky Hipster ******** zero' is apparently vapourware? News to me!

Toma

Well any Early Access game ... or any new game tbh. Specifically Spacebase DF9 right now. It's like youtube comments exploded on the forum

Scary Fact: Searching for Toma Gafferson on Google yields that post you made .. it's like instant cached :S
Scary Fact 2: Just learned that 'Kentucky Hipster ******** zero' is apparently vapourware? News to me!

Just found those posts and ugh. I sort of get why these early access games sometimes have their price tag that high to avoid these people buying into these games. People dont understand the concept of an Alpha, yet buy alphas and complain about content. Boggles the mind.

Which game?

Oh and to all those RimWorld backers, be prepared to meet Toma Gafferson, who still needs to decide whether he wants to become a pirate raider, colonist, traveler or trader.
Oh, you decided to back? I had to back through Paypal on the main site, because my card wasn't going through on KS. And all the discussions is going on in the Rimworld forums. There's a module poll and suggestions thread there

Toma

Oh, you decided to back? I had to back through Paypal on the main site, because my card wasn't going through on KS. And all the discussions is going on in the Rimworld forums. There's a module poll and suggestions thread there

Yeah, backed the 40$ tier, but no time to mingle in their forums atm.

Twinduct

Just found those posts and ugh. I sort of get why these early access games sometimes have their price tag that high to avoid these people buying into these games. People dont understand the concept of an Alpha, yet buy alphas and complain about content. Boggles the mind.

Well with logic like this:

"Why is this advertised as now available on the front page store?
Would leave people to believe it's a finished game. Stop with the early access games on the front store page !!! Go to kickerstarter to fund your game"

I doubt alot of sound reasoning is going on. If only there was like some big warning that this game is in alpha state ... guess valve never thought of that though!

Toma

Well with logic like this:

"Why is this advertised as now available on the front page store?
Would leave people to believe it's a finished game. Stop with the early access games on the front store page !!! Go to kickerstarter to fund your game"

I doubt alot of sound reasoning is going on. If only there was like some big warning that this game is in alpha state ... guess valve never thought of that though!

...if only.

Ah the dreaded dark pits of despair known to the common man as the Steam Community hubs, where even the most resolute of souls can find himself lost to madness

I've heard hushed rumors that gazing upon the endless trolls and idiotic comments can simultaneously kill brain cells and make you lose your faith in humanity. So tread lightly and swiftly though its dank depths, only pause to ask a question or two, and leave with haste.

Saw those bizarre comments on the Spacebase DF9 trailer via the RPS Youtube channel.

What rot. What negative rot.

EDIT: And yes, granted, Youtube...but still.

Ah the dreaded dark pits of despair known to the common man as the Steam Community hubs, where even the most resolute of souls can find himself lost to madness

I've heard hushed rumors that gazing upon the endless trolls and idiotic comments can simultaneously kill brain cells and make you lose your faith in humanity. So tread lightly and swiftly though its dank depths, only pause to ask a question or two, and leave with haste.

Reading your description makes me imagine them as the undeads from Dark Souls.

Hofmann

Hah! Fantastic! I'll look into it :)
I also noticed that I have Miasmata in my Steam Lib - it didn't really run on my Laptop when I bought it. I guess I will give it another try. :)

If you want some survival games to look forward to you can find few of these in the current OP, like Eidolon, The Wanderer and The Long Dark.

So I've come to learn that the best path to exposure for blogs is through Reddit. The articles that I don't share on Reddit might get views in the range from 10 to maybe 60+. An article link on Reddit...the article easily gets 100 or 200 views.

iIt140eF3eVaD.gif

Spacebase DF 9 - made me realise with just the right amount of pleasant visuals and excellent UI, I can be temped to play any game. Buying it now.

You can now pre-order Contrast on Steam! I had no idea it was coming out this soon.

If you pre-order it now before it releases on Nov. 15th, you can get it for 25% off as well as receiving the Collector's Edition goodies:

montageEN.png

Thank you, been anticipating this since the beginning.

I know you've got it, but Miasmata. It's not as scary, but quite intense on the survival aspect. I mean, you've got to take momentum in effect as you can't even run up a slope like Skyrim or some other first person games.

Toma

So I've come to learn that the best path to exposure for blogs is through Reddit. The articles that I don't share on Reddit might get views in the range from 10 to maybe 60+. An article link on Reddit...the article easily gets 100 or 200 views.

How do you post stuff on reddit? Never used it. I mean links to your blogs are basically self-advertising, they dont mind that?

How do you post stuff on reddit? Never used it. I mean links to your blogs are basically self-advertising, they dont mind that?
I don't spam it with my stuff. Only occasionally will post reviews for recent popular games or exclusive stuff like the developer interviews. Or I'll just make a text post and have a link to my blog saying that you can see screenshots and video at the link. (Reddit posts don't allow images or video embeds)

It's super simple to post, staying seen is hard. The community upvotes or downvotes posts. So it's not like here, where a new comment will bump you back to the top.

Twinduct

I don't spam it with my stuff. Only occasionally will post reviews for recent popular games or exclusive stuff like the developer interviews. Or I'll just make a text post and have a link to my blog saying that you can see screenshots and video at the link. (Reddit posts don't allow images or video embeds)

It's super simple to post, staying seen is hard. The community upvotes or downvotes posts. So it's not like here, where a new comment will bump you back to the top.

Just be weary. Reddit knights in /r/gaming is pretty relentless. If they think you're self promoting, they'll constantly follow you and have the knights of new downvote your shit until oblivion (Which is funny as they don't care when devs promote their own blog/ stuff).

So just be sure to throw in a few links from other blogs/ sites/ news between posts.
Self promotion ain't anything bad (unless you start to coattail others) but people get cray cray about everything now a days.

Just be weary. Reddit knights in /r/gaming is pretty relentless. If they think you're self promoting, they'll constantly follow you and have the knights of new downvote your shit until oblivion (Which is funny as they don't care when devs promote their own blog/ stuff).

So just be sure to throw in a few links from other blogs/ sites/ news between posts.
Self promotion ain't anything bad (unless you start to coattail others) but people get cray cray about everything now a days.
Oh definitely. I'm very active just posting and chatting with devs and sharing the underrated and overlooked games. If you're ever looking for some good indies, the r/IndieGames subreddit is amazing. Equally on par with Toma's threads (but we're still the best here)

And I don't post in r/Gaming, only in r/IndieGaming. Maybe they're more lax there

Toma

Posted a link there to try it. We'll see how big the lynch mob will get and if needed, I'll just hide here.

Twinduct

Oh definitely. I'm very active just posting and chatting with devs and sharing the underrated and overlooked games. If you're ever looking for some good indies, the r/IndieGames subreddit is amazing. Equally on par with Toma's threads (but we're still the best here)

And I don't post in r/Gaming, only in r/IndieGaming. Maybe they're more lax there

Had those subscribed ... for some reason I stopped ... need to fix that.

Look, chicken alien. Stop panicking about oxygen, I still haven't made a refinery for mining!

inJgt8hhKpkvV.gif

Reading each person's Spaceface is quite funny.
i8WViO8mczJL3.jpg

That Double Fine charm is here. Spacebase DF 9 is more demanding than I thought. I died once, seeing them all go limp in space was disheartening. This is my first time at this kind of game. But I'm getting better. Need to start prioritising life support, then airlock room, then refinery for mining. Has anyone got a better plan?

Top Bottom