• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

So Inverto is on sale at IndieGameSTand: https://indiegamestand.com/

Anyone try it?

gc_1377167726_407.png

It's a fun game, the changing gravity mechanic used to to solve the puzzles is interesting.

Today i have mainly been buying:

Full Bore & Soundtrack
Leviathan: Last Day of the Decade
Rose & Time
The Sea Will Claim Everything
Indie Royale Bundle

Now i'm looking at the BundleStars games and pondering them. My mates hate me though, i've sent them the links to the bundles too and they've all bought stuff :)

The trailer doesn't exactly sell me, seems a bit barebones.

"Prepare to explore Escher-esque environments"

How about you show me those in the trailer? Cause all I see are drab industrial lab rooms. Even Magrunner had to change it up after doing the training rooms.
Personally I wasn't really bothered by that because the actual gameplay mechanics and spatial puzzles are pretty polished.

Today i have mainly been buying:

Full Bore & Soundtrack
Leviathan: Last Day of the Decade
Rose & Time
The Sea Will Claim Everything
Indie Royale Bundle

Now i'm looking at the BundleStars games and pondering them. My mates hate me though, i've sent them the links to the bundles too and they've all bought stuff :)

Be sure to post your impressions in the Full Bore thread

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I asked the Full Bore dev how they got to the idea about their characters/world and why its a boar:

The digging boar was the first thing to happen, then we just had to come up with a world where a digging boar would make sense, as the game evolved into more of a narrative puzzle exploration game. We have lots of ideas for other games after Full Bore, it just depends on if we do well enough to keep on making games. Thanks again for helping spread the word about our game, it helps a lot.

So yeah, if we want these incredibly talented people continue making games, its our part to let others know about it and to vote with our wallets and voices.

Moobabe

I asked the Full Bore dev how they got to the idea about their characters/world and why its a boar:

So yeah, if we want these incredibly talented people continue making games, its our part to let others know about it and to vote with our wallets and voices.

FINE I'LL BUY IT NOW!

Got you covered too:
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2013/08/pc-spotlight-1-inverto.html

And there's a level editor coming. But quick impressions: fun, challenging, totally worth getting
Thanks! Sounds like my type of game

The trailer doesn't exactly sell me, seems a bit barebones.

"Prepare to explore Escher-esque environments"

How about you show me those in the trailer? Cause all I see are drab industrial lab rooms. Even Magrunner had to change it up after doing the training rooms.

Speaking of Escher, I never checked out The Bridge.
bridgefill3.jpg
Yeah the trailer was a tad bland but the mechanics look interesting

It's a fun game, the changing gravity mechanic used to to solve the puzzles is interesting.
Another positive impression... Think i'll pick this up.

alllen

Neo Member
I played some of the latest Betrayer update. The game is coming along well, though it's a shame how bullet (arrow) spongey some enemies are. That and having to start a new game every time there's an update.

The bane of early access, I suppose.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I played some of the latest Betrayer update. The game is coming along well, though it's a shame how bullet (arrow) spongey some enemies are. That and having to start a new game every time there's an update.

The bane of early access, I suppose.

Whats the incentive for the player to keep playing? Story? Loot?

Moobabe

You always know what to say!

I'm considering starting up an indie blog too - following on from the (relative) success of my old website. Volgarr is up first.

I just got to the first boss on Volgarr and it smashed my shit up. I need a break.

If Full Bore is stressful I might cry.

Toma

I'm considering starting up an indie blog too - following on from the (relative) success of my old website. Volgarr is up first.

I just got to the first boss on Volgarr and it smashed my shit up. I need a break.

Not stressful at all, pretty relaxing actually for me.

OnPoint

First boss is cake compared to the second

Been messing around with the beta release for Odallus: The Dark Call which was released to backers, this game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun - they've nailed the classic Castlevania-vibe, in gameplay as well as looks and presentation. Excellent soundtrack, as well.

You can play the demo at;

http://joymasher.com/odallus/

And here's a couple of gifs I made from the beta;

ib25TZGEPN9pyz.gif
ihTTSqHAzrXbt.gif

Been messing around with the beta release for Odallus: The Dark Call which was released to backers, this game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun - they've nailed the classic Castlevania-vibe, in gameplay as well as looks and presentation. Excellent soundtrack, as well.

ib25TZGEPN9pyz.gif
ihTTSqHAzrXbt.gif
Getting a Volgarr vibe, but I guess that's because they're both retro style games

ib25TZGEPN9pyz.gif
ihTTSqHAzrXbt.gif
I like that. Kinda reminds me of a faster Rastan.

Odallus is a weird one for me because on paper I should have liked it, but the gameplay in the demo wasn't really to my liking. Probably going to skip it unless they've overhauled some of the more annoying characteristics.

You ready for this? I had been totally ignorant of Transistor. I didn't realize it was by the Bastion devs till today. Can't believe that Transistor of all games slipped under my radar. It looks so good.

Toma

You ready for this? I had been totally ignorant of Transistor. I didn't realize it was by the Bastion devs till today. Can't believe that Transistor of all games slipped under my radar. It looks so good.

Speaking of ignorance:
https://www.google.com/search?q=indiegameenthusiast&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=site:indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com+factorio&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial
iboR8Zzq75hbkL.gif

I demand an explanation!

;p

Odallus is a weird one for me because on paper I should have liked it, but the gameplay in the demo wasn't really to my liking. Probably going to skip it unless they've overhauled some of the more annoying characteristics.

I'm hoping they release another demo once it releases, as the level design on the current demo is really lacking. It feels like they tried to cram everything into one level, which I guess makes sense as they were using it to drive their crowd-funding campaign and show off their ideas, but the beta level is much improved in that regard. Neither will be in the final version, though.

Now you must drag the indie boulder of shame through all way up to the indie mountains and ask mercy to the indie gods!

j/k
or not o_O

daydream

Banned
No need to apologize. Discussion isn't limited to games from the current month, in fact it's great to play and mention games from older threads so they aren't forgotten. We even have a tradition, Wayback Wednesday, in which we play and post impression of games from past threads that we may have missed or overlooked

Edit: and I just realized that it was Wednesday. Oops, I'll post my belated Wayback post later

Thanks! There's actually a fair amount of games I want to go back to. I'll write about them when I do.

Alright, some October impressions:

MirrorMoon EP: This game is pure genius. Space is one of my least favourite settings in games, but this is something else while still staying true to its ambiance. I think it's pretty much perfect from a design perspective, and it some ways it transcends its gameplay conventions to create a parallel world that, for me at least, seems predestined for deceleration and contemplation. Qualities I missed in games like Antichamber. My journey with this game has only just started, though.

Volgarr the Viking: This game falls right into the lineage of games like the old Castlevania titles (classic platformers in general), Trials, Super Meat Boy (for some people), N+, Dark Souls, etc. You know exactly what you need to do, the mechanics will never fail you - you just have to pull it off. Rarely have I played a game that felt so complete, gameplay-wise. I'm not 100% down with the save system (or the lack thereof), but I've come to accept it. This game is a bigger achievement than it might at first appear.

The Last Tango: A clever idea for a game. You basically cue up moves for the dancing couple, shooting assassins and disabling death traps. It's quite short, five levels, and it cycles through them after you beat the last one, with more enemies and so on. Doesn't require a big time investment and is a fun little highscore game. The choice of music is decidedly un-tango-like, though.

AscendAon: This is an interesting game that I didn't know anything about beforehand. You have to find five gas canisters in a snow-covered mountain environment (I've found two so far), with a grapple gun at your disposal. Certainly atmospheric and probably not very long, so I'll revisit this sooner rather than later.

Valdis Story: Didn't play too much of this, but it seems right up my alley. Sort of a metroidvania-ish platformer with upgrade trees, equipment, multiple characters and so on. Definitely give this a shot if you like recent entries in the genre - Dust, Magicians & Looters and the like. I'll post more detailed impressions at a later point.

-----------

I tried some older stuff as well:

Save the Date: I was amused by how this game set itself up, but in the end it was too tongue-in-cheek for me. The "ending" felt lazy and ultimately negated the message it was so desperately trying to convey after a certain point.

Tessallation: Seems really cool. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get very far, since the clones I'm creating fail to keep the timing I dictate on a specific puzzle. Someone documented this on YT (skip to 5:05). Hopefully they'll fix it.

1000 Amps: This seems like a neat little puzzle platformer with a cute protagonist. Don't really have much to say about this as I haven't delved too far into it yet. Aesthetically it's solid enough; it's the puzzles that carry these kind of games, though.

i can't wait for odallus, oniken was fantastic.

i hope that the fighting system will be as awesome as vulgarr, but they are different games, odallus will be like an action-adventure with a bigger world.

the demo is just a test stage that it will not even be included in the final version.

Moobabe

Working my way through the indies tonight:

Super Hot, Volgarr (beat the first boss!) Life Goes On, Lily Looking Through and The Last Tango.

Impressions forthcoming.

I also bought that metroid pig game because Toma wouldn't shut up.

Working my way through the indies tonight:

Super Hot, Volgarr (beat the first boss!) Life Goes On, Lily Looking Through and The Last Tango.

Impressions forthcoming.

I also bought that metroid pig game because Toma wouldn't shut up.
SuperHot! One of my favorites free games I've, so much potential
---

Are mods able to give newly registered members a way to post? The Full Bore dev is aware of the GAF thread but just joined and can't post yet
I've been reading the NeoGaf thread, but since I just registered for an account there today, I don't have permission to post on it yet.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
---

Are mods able to give newly registered members a way to post? The Full Bore dev is aware of the GAF thread but just joined and can't post yet

Mods can in fact enable accounts for devs. I forget if they're able to PM while waiting approval or not, but pinging a mod via email or twitter could work.

Moobabe

---

Super Hot is pretty damn good. I'm shit at it though :(

And yeah - just get them to.. well yeah, the post above mine!

Edit

Outer Wilds is incredible. I mean seriously good. I mean, sure, I crashed into the center of some planet but FUCK man, space.

Super Hot is pretty damn good. I'm shit at it though :(

And yeah - just get them to.. well yeah, the post above mine!

Edit

Outer Wilds is incredible. I mean seriously good. I mean, sure, I crashed into the center of some planet but FUCK man, space.
+1 to that. Everyone I recommend it to loves the game and I believe it was the first free game I posted about on my blog. The sense of true discovery, of exploring the final frontier really makes "space" in games like Mass Effect and Dead Space seem laughable

Toma

+1 to that. Everyone I recommend it to loves the game and I believe it was the first free game I posted about on my blog. The sense of true discovery, of exploring the final frontier really makes "space" in games like Mass Effect and Dead Space seem laughable

It doesnt run well for me :( I get heavy lag as soon as I step into the cave where I need to get the start key/code. Fucking annoying. Badass doesnt even have a good PC, does he? No clue why it completely craps out for me.

It doesnt run well for me :( I get heavy lag as soon as I step into the cave where I need to get the start key/code. Fucking annoying. Badass doesnt even have a good PC, does he? No clue why it completely craps out for me.
Well I enjoyed the game so much that I endured the lag. Not the optimal experience and I eagerly await playing the game on a better PC, but it was worth it.

I don't recommend IOS games here often but Incoboto is amazing and worth your time and money. It's 3.99 on iPad and there's a 1.99 version for iPhone, been out for a while

You can read my full impressions here but this sums up my thoughts:
Puzzle platformers are not uncommon on IOS, so it takes something more, something unique for a game to stand out among its brethren and the daily flood of new games in general. Incoboto does just that, with its atmospheric art style, an enigmatic narrative that's equal parts bleak and witty, challenging puzzles, and smooth touch controls.

Toma

Well I enjoyed the game so much that I endured the lag. Not the optimal experience and I eagerly await playing the game on a better PC, but it was worth it.

No, not just "lag". "Heavy lag" as in, I get 1 FPS... if it even was that high.

Btw, if anyone wanted to ask a question, the dev (well actually the animator/artist) of Full Bore is now chilling in the Full Bore thread.

Played Brawlin' Sailor because the description says it's short, the game is really short but well made for something made in 4 days. Some parts made me chuckle and there are two endings.

iEyj008kK9Wpm.gif

Toma

Played Brawlin' Sailor because the description says it's short, the game is really short but well made for something made in 4 days. Some parts made me chuckle and there are two endings.

iEyj008kK9Wpm.gif

Spoiler about the ending:
Really 2 endings? Or did you refer to the dream -> reality ones as 2? If not, whats the second ending and how did you get it? I had the one with the princess who doesnt want to come with me and then the dog sitting alone at the shore.

Spoiler about the ending:
Really 2 endings? Or did you refer to the dream -> reality ones as 2? If not, whats the second ending and how did you get it? I had the one with the princess who doesnt want to come with me and then the dog sitting alone at the shore.

if you don't beat the dog in reality he comes with you.

alllen

Neo Member
Whats the incentive for the player to keep playing? Story? Loot?

I guess for the story. Though I've purposely ignored all the notes and dialogue until the game is done. I don't want to get only bits and pieces of the story until it's released, I'd rather hold out and wait.

So far, from ignoring the story, the game is mostly on the meh side. The atmosphere, graphics, and sound are really well done though. The combat is mostly frustrating, enemies see you from miles away unless you move at a snails pace by crouching. If they get in melee range you're pretty much always dead since you take a lot of damage and your melee attacks are weak.

Like Dark Souls if you die you respawn and can get your stuff back, and all the enemies respawn too. It works in Dark Souls because with each encounter you get better at the game and more efficient at killing. But this is an FPS, so respawning enemies is just repetitive and needlessly pads the game.

For 15 bucks, it's not that bad I guess. Even still, I don't think I'll recommend the game to anyone unless they do better to fix the unfair and unfun enemies. If the latest builds are any indication (enemies keep getting harder to kill) I don't think it's going to go that way soon.

Man, Tower of Guns, now that I've played more. I've had moments of utter frozen in place shock in this game. You never know what's behind the next door (you shoot doors to open them btw). You could go through and be met with dual spinning crosses, each arm sporting multiple turrets. Or maybe you enter a massive room, only for dozens of flying mines to appear.

That's another thing. The areas aren't one-room locations like Paranautical. We're talking multi-tiered, multi level areas with maybe lava at the bottom and a launcher pad to boost you to the top level on one end and a terrace filled with multi-barreled cannonball firing turrets on the other and spiked top things in between and bullets the size of your head flying through the air

You can't stop moving. It's just crazy, And I haven't even mentioned the bosses

Decided to get Fancy Skulls. It had enough good user impressions elsewhere and the footage I saw was enough to convince me that while it's also a roguelike FPS a la Tower of Guns, it's a fundamentally different experience. I'll post my impressions later

Toma

As I said earlier, I'd really love to play it, but it changes from 20 something FPS to 1FPS in a matter of seconds once I go up the slope to the cave with the keycard/code. Anyone got an idea?

Moobabe

Outer Wilds single handedly made me spend 3 HOURS watching TED talks about space.

As I said earlier, I'd really love to play it, but it changes from 20 something FPS to 1FPS in a matter of seconds once I go up the slope to the cave with the keycard/code. Anyone got an idea?

Gimme your SPECS son

Toma

Outer Wilds single handedly made me spend 3 HOURS watching TED talks about space.

Gimme your SPECS son

Win7- 64bit
GT555M
Intel Core i5-2430M Dual Core
8GB RAM

That should be enough to run it, and it starts fine enough, but once I go up that stupid ramp, its screenshot territory.

Top Bottom