• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Woke up to the news of Claire being greenlit. Very excited.

Thanks to you, Toma, and GAF in general for spreading the word and helping us get on there.

Congrats to the others that were greenlit as well. Looking forward to playing some of them.

Best of luck with the Steam sales :)

flowsnake

this.

screen8.png

Unravel the mystery uncovered by a remote interplanetary mining operation. What did they find? What threat does it pose? And ultimately, what does it truly mean to be a hero?

Side scrolling action combined with adventure style puzzles.
A large world to explore with an intriguing story and an unusual, thought-provoking ending.
Hand drawn pixel art for a classic Amiga/Atari ST 16-bit era graphical style.
Features optional CRT screen simulation effect for a more authentic look on modern LCD monitors.
Available DRM-free for Windows, Mac and Linux.

It's in the same "Not on Steam" sale as Full Bore.

It doesn't seem to have come up in the previous threads other than a passing mention, and I can't find much on google.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
this.

It's in the same "Not on Steam" sale as Full Bore.

It doesn't seem to have come up in the previous threads other than a passing mention, and I can't find much on google.

The level design looks pretty generic and bad from the trailer and screenshots, either they dont have aything better to show or they are horribly bad at presenting their game. Personally, I'd hold off without any other impressions and I am not all that hopeful for it either to be honest.

flowsnake

The level design looks pretty generic and bad from the trailer and screenshots, either they dont have aything better to show or they are horribly bad at presenting their game. Personally, I'd hold off without any other impressions and I am not all that hopeful for it either to be honest.

Yeah, the trailer didn't really convince me. I'll probably just keep an eye on it.

So Audiosurf 2 Early Access requires Steam/Internet connection so I'll be holding off for now.

And now that Claire was greenlit. I'll probably just save my money for that

Now that is bullshit. Hope the full game wont.
Yeah it "requires a Steam connection", according to the impressions in the OT and in the Steam discussions. But it seems the Audiosurf 1 alpha was the same, so it's likely this will be removed

Twinduct

Say waaaaaat?

Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.

Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.

Awesome Vid

Coming to Early Access on the 23rd.

Toma

Say waaaaaat?

Awesome Vid

Coming to Early Access on the 23rd.

Looks awesome indeed, but if its just welding, walk one step, weld, walk one step, weld, that would be rather... anticlimactic. Hope there is more to it than just that.

alllen

Neo Member
The Girl and the Robot and Off Grid look really cool, very interested in those. Oh, if anyone's been following Quadrilateral Cowboy, he released a few new videos of a new area: day 1 and day 2 & 3. It looks good, getting a kind of Blade Runner vibe from this scene as well. Really hoping it gets a 2013 release, looking forward to it.

also, another album of some new shots of my sci-fi fps Xanadu: http://imgur.com/a/g1AJB

The Girl and the Robot and Off Grid look really cool, very interested in those. Oh, if anyone's been following Quadrilateral Cowboy, he released a few new videos of a new area: day 1 and day 2 & 3. It looks good, getting a kind of Blade Runner vibe from this scene as well. Really hoping it gets a 2013 release, looking forward to it.

also, another album of some new shots of my sci-fi fps Xanadu: http://imgur.com/a/g1AJB
Quadrilateral Cowboy is the game where you can hack into the world with your in-game laptop, right? I remember reading a good preview of it on RPS

Oh man. I feel like I've missed so much in the last month or so that I haven't been able to contribute as much. Looking forward to playing some indies in October!

Shiftlings
Greenlight | Site | Trailer
In Shiftlings you wobble your way alone or with a friend through the depths of space while your goal is to get both our alien friends to the end of each level. Preferably without any casualties!

In single player mode, you can switch the controls between the two on top of switching the size between both, while in co-op mode, each player controls one of the two twins while both players can switch size at any time. The fact that both players can switch size whenever they want, might test your friendship while playing Shiftlings, so be prepared for some chaotic fun!

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage
Looks really promising. The colorful cartoony graphics caught my eye and the puzzle mechanic looks like it could allow for a lot of diverse puzzle and platforming scenarios

Nabs

The Mirrormoon dev is a GAFfer as well?! Damn, we have an awesome community of indie devs here

So I have AAC and Mirrormoon, definitely going to get Shiftlings. Any other GAF made games to get?

Cook, Serve, Delicious is hitting Steam next week.

Toma

The Mirrormoon dev is a GAFfer as well?! Damn, we have an awesome community of indie devs here

So I have AAC and Mirrormoon, definitely going to get Shiftlings. Any other GAF made games to get?

The Oil Blue :p

Thank you to everyone that contributes to these threads, this is the only reason I read GAF nowdays. Your opinions and insights are really valued.

What do you all think of that Tiny Barbarian DX game? Does Volgarr do it better?

Betrayer just got a big update.

Summary:
-A new area!
-A new enemy type!
-Additional notes, clues, etc.
-Revised the “talking skull” element.
-Lots of new or refined enemy behaviors.
-Added a save prompt when exiting the game and an autosave after shopping.
-Massive AI refactor for more consistent behavior with fewer “thoughtful pauses”.
-Massive enemy navigation and navmesh overhaul for better pathfinding and handling of situations where the player is unreachable.
-Improved enemy encounters in the otherworld.
-Various stealth refinements.
-Reworked some tutorial messages and added a couple of new ones to explain game mechanics people seem to consistently overlook.
-Enemy weapons no longer go flying when dropped.
-Charms are now auto-equipped in empty slots.
-Audio sliders are hooked up now.
-Lots of balance adjustments. Be warned the game got harder.
-Shortbow quiver works properly.
-Lots of visual tweaks, optimizations, and polish.
-Notes now use a script font.
-Esc key now works in the main menu.
-Equipped items are now marked in the Inventory menu.
-Scrollbars should look better and work more reliably.
-Bow animation polish.
-Fixed an issue where lightmaps could become irreversibly black in certain cases, causing shadows to appear pitch black and the otherworld to become featureless and very hard to navigate.
-Fixed potential issue where otherworld enemies could spawn in the normal world.
-Fixed a related issue where progression could get blocked in certain save/load situations.
-The South Gate will now only open in the normal world.
-Longbow now starts with 12 arrows instead of 20.
-Fixed issue where you could get the "nothing more to hear in this region" notice prematurely.

Sounds great!

Nabs

Volgar is good. Real good. But I can't survive more than like 5 minutes :(

You'll get it. It just takes a bit to learn the level and how to best approach each enemy type. I recommend going into the advanced control setup and giving the spear and roll their own buttons.

Volgar is good. Real good. But I can't survive more than like 5 minutes :(

You'll get it. It just takes a bit to learn the level and how to best approach each enemy type. I recommend going into the advanced control setup and giving the spear and roll their own buttons.
+1
Volgarr is excellent. It kicks my ass but I love it.

Here are my blog impressions if you're interested, but this sums up my thoughts:
You will die. A lot. Enter the world of Volgarr The Viking with that knowledge and accept it. This is a game built from the ground up to deliver old-school hard-as-nails challenge and it does not disappoint. The retro games that inspired Volgarr may be before my time, but as a fan of Dark Souls and brutal platformers, I feel right at home

Toma

Crossposting from the Full Bore thread because the game is so good, sooooo good:

Thread link again: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689201
What this game is really good at, is letting the player explore at his own leisure, even if that means the player ignores some passages that might be solvable, only to return there 3 hours later to notice that this part wasnt unsolvable and you could have done that 5 minutes after the game starts, all the while making you feel awesome about solving the puzzle:

Didnt even notice its a puzzle when I first passed it right at the beginning. This game is so good.

Seriously, grab the game while its 60% off. If more people play it, I can almost guarantee it will get a top spot in the voting this month. Random comparison, you'll likely like it if you liked 1000 amps, it has the same exploration via puzzles base idea. Its also surprisingly charming and polished, just an overall great package of a game.

Listen to me.
*Hypnotizes thread readers*

Toma

The game is on track to enter my indie goty list considerations.

SpeedRunners

uVMyzWm.png

So I played it for a bit and I can say SpeedRunners is a fun and addicting game, it may look simple if you judge the game only for the images and the videos but playing it you can get that there are some dept to the game. The game feels like if Mario Kart was platformer game, it's chaotic and once a player lost it starts a countdown and the screen edges starts to decrease leaving less room for mistakes.

The developers are active in the steam community forums and the updates to the game are frequent adding improvements to the game. It's well worth the price and is currently 50% off in Steam, so if you like competitive rage inducing games you may like it.

Toma

A contender in a year that gave us Reus, Gone Home, Papers Please, Outer Wilds, The Swapper, etc.?

Hopefully the game gets the sales it deserves

Yeah, honestly. The game just topped itself once more. Not sure where it exactly lands in my GOTY list, but it will be on there. Its just so damn well designed, paced with varied content.. and I cant stop playing. I asked in the OT, but where did you stop playing/what did you do so far in the game Badass?

Yeah, honestly. The game just topped itself once more. Not sure where it exactly lands in my GOTY list, but it will be on there. Its just so damn well designed, paced with varied content.. and I cant stop playing. I asked in the OT, but where did you stop playing/what did you do so far in the game Badass?
Well I got side tracked with some other games and my blog but I'm kind of stuck where you first find the big drill and you're instructed to find a piece of equipment, forgot the name.

Toma

Edit: Giveaway over!

Anyone here who likes GOOD 2D puzzle platformers and is willing to play through an 6-8 hour game within the next 3-4 days and write impressions on his experience? Not just at the end, but like play a bit, post what you think, play some more, see whether the game fits your expectations etc. You are not required to like it or write GOOD things about it, but I like the game so much that I am willing to pay the 5$ for the game for ~4 people if the OT of Full Bore will get bumped some more. The basic idea is of course to help the thread staying afloat, and since it costs me a bit, I'd appreciate if you only "apply" if you can post about your impressions and play more than just an hour. It would be cool if you could still write a general post afterwards in the monthly Indie thread of October to share your overall impressions here as well once you got a good idea of the game, but one post is enough here (while the Full Bore thread needs multiple bumps as long as the sale is still going on).

If you are interested, quote this post. I will not necessarily pick the first 4 quotes, so feel free to mention you are interested, even this post has already been quoted 4 times. I will see about that tomorrow depending on how many people and who are interested.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Anyone here who likes GOOD 2D puzzle platformers and is willing to play through an 6-8 hour game within the next 3-4 days and write impressions on his experience? Not just at the end, but like play a bit, post what you think, play some more, see whether the game fits your expectations etc. You are not required to like it or write GOOD things about it, but I like the game so much that I am willing to pay the 5$ for the game for ~4 people if the OT of Full Bore will get bumped some more. The basic idea is of course to help the thread staying afloat, and since it costs me a bit, I'd appreciate if you only "apply" if you can post about your impressions and play more than just an hour. It would be cool if you could still write a general post afterwards in the monthly Indie thread of October to share your overall impressions here as well once you got a good idea of the game, but one post is enough here (while the Full Bore thread needs multiple bumps as long as the sale is still going on).

If you are interested, quote this post. I will not necessarily pick the first 4 quotes, so feel free to mention you are interested, even this post has already been quoted 4 times. I will see about that tomorrow depending on how many people and who are interested.

Write about things I can do. I'll chip in for a chance at this.

Top Bottom