• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

Nintendo has to give incentives to buy both systems. If all their games released for both systems then you'll have people only buying one system instead of both.

I can see them releasing hardware exclusive games while many are compatible to both. Exclusive features for handheld and console will play a part too.
This is exactly what I've spoken about in the past, and is especially crucial for Western markets.

I think Nintendo'll figure out a smart solution to this as I don't see the proposed "shared library" leaks outright lending itself to a situation of basically playing all of the exact same games across both devices.

It would certainly be foolish for people to convince themselves that it's sure to be close to XB1 or PS4.

It's as likely to be a $150 box that's not much more powerful than Wii U ,minus the gamepad but with a "new concept", as it is to be a $300+ box that's as/more powerful than XB1/PS4.

In a way that's what's going to make the reveal so interesting...we really have no true idea of price/power or even if it's a console, handheld, both..or something else entirely.
Personally I'm just going to assume it'll be around Wii U power but maybe using 3DS style cards instead of discs....and anything else is a bonus.

Yeah I can imagine this for the successor to the 3DS handheld But the home console? lol no.

Nintendo has to give incentives to buy both systems. If all their games released for both systems then you'll have people only buying one system instead of both.

I can see them releasing hardware exclusive games while many are compatible to both. Exclusive features for handheld and console will play a part too.

Through in-game features they can easily incentivize buying both types of hardware even if the game is playable on both systems. They've done it before.

For example, the Zelda Oracle games were GameBoy Color games, but they had an Advance Shop with exclusive items which you could only get if you played the game on a GBA.

More recently they did it with Smash Bros. Smash Bros 3DS has Smash Run, Wii U version doesn't.

AzaK

It would certainly be foolish for people to convince themselves that it's sure to be close to XB1 or PS4.

It's as likely to be a $150 box that's not much more powerful than Wii U ,minus the gamepad but with a "new concept", as it is to be a $300+ box that's as/more powerful than XB1/PS4.

In a way that's what's going to make the reveal so interesting...we really have no true idea of price/power or even if it's a console, handheld, both..or something else entirely.
Personally I'm just going to assume it'll be around Wii U power but maybe using 3DS style cards instead of discs....and anything else is a bonus.

I would argue that Nintendo's history would suggest it's less likely to be the latter. They are a company for families and consoles need to be cheap for families (Well, that's Nintendo's opinion but of course 60million(?) XBO+PS4 families might disagree) and therefore aim for that $199-$250 mark.

Terrell

I would argue that Nintendo's history would suggest it's less likely to be the latter. They are a company for families and consoles need to be cheap for families (Well, that's Nintendo's opinion but of course 60million(?) XBO+PS4 families might disagree) and therefore aim for that $199-$250 mark.

They introduced Wii U at $300 and the deluxe model at $350. Never mind that your historical review doesn't factor in currency inflation.

So no, your perception of their internal mandates on price point mean very little, at this point.

Banned
Hmmm, suddenly the unannounced but all but confirmed PS4K makes me think the SoC win for AMD's unannounced gaming platform may be for that and not the NX. So maybe the NX won't have an APU like puma or jaguar but instead be ARM.

Vena

Hmmm, suddenly the unannounced but all but confirmed PS4K makes me think the SoC win for AMD's unannounced gaming platform may be for that and not the NX. So maybe the NX won't have an APU like puma or jaguar but instead be ARM.

One could only hope that the NX isn't slaved to crap like the cat family.

Xiao Hu

Very good point here!

Roo

Final Fantasy trailer shows nx logo. Does this means the name nx is confirmed?

https://youtu.be/OSqT9fn_BTc

http://playeressence.com/final-fantasy-xv-coming-pc-nintendo-nx-2017-rumor/
That logo...

ClA8vUh.gif

Edit: just saw the date the video was uploaded. Even better!!

Final Fantasy trailer shows nx logo. Does this means the name nx is confirmed?

https://youtu.be/OSqT9fn_BTc

http://playeressence.com/final-fantasy-xv-coming-pc-nintendo-nx-2017-rumor/

lol are you serious? This is so fake. I can see FFVII R maybe coming to NX whenever Sony's exclusivity deal runs up, but not XV. Considering they can barely get the thing to run properly on XB1 and PS4, I'm not sure Square Enix want the hassle of trying to port it to another system.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
lol are you serious? This is so fake. I can see FFVII R maybe coming to NX whenever Sony's exclusivity deal runs up, but not NX. Considering they can barely get the thing to run properly on XB1 and PS4, I'm not sure Square Enix want the hassle of trying to port it to another system.

Ehi, calm down and make up your mind.

I know what you meant; still, it was funny :p

I hope you're right since I dont see the most people paying $300+ for a Nintendo system, which is way I'm hoping these NX high power rumors are false, unless they take a huge loss with selling the units by making it $250.

That's a very good point...
And it turns out that NX use over-overclocked gamecube CPUs.

PLOT TWIST!!!

poodaddy

Goddamn I just wish Nintendo would come clean with some news for Christ's sake; all this rumor mill shit is killing me. I'm more hyped for this console than I really should be, and it's probably purely because of the rumors.

Terrell

If not AMD, then who, though? That's my big question.

lol are you serious? This is so fake. I can see FFVII R maybe coming to NX whenever Sony's exclusivity deal runs up, but not XV. Considering they can barely get the thing to run properly on XB1 and PS4, I'm not sure Square Enix want the hassle of trying to port it to another system.

So it's more likely that NX will get a game that has an exclusivity time window than a game that doesn't...?

omonimo

Banned
My presumption: a sort of tablet accessoried with a normal controller (optional). I'm not expecting a standard home console anymore from them.

AzaK

They introduced Wii U at $300 and the deluxe model at $350. Never mind that your historical review doesn't factor in currency inflation.

So no, your perception of their internal mandates on price point mean very little, at this point.

And the Wii U has sold so well hasn't it? Nintendo themselves say those sorts of price points are ideal for them. The Wii U was likely priced so high so as not to lose on the GamePad. That or they thought the Wii name would work again (They have previously states the Wii was too cheap).

Do you honestly, truly think Nintendo would release a console at $350 or $399? The only way I see that happening is with the SCD patent idea. Sell a base machine for $200-$250 and then an add-on for another $100-150 that doubles the GPU or some such.

In many case console have come down in price over the years - and that's taking inflating into account.
http://kotaku.com/36-years-of-console-prices-adjusted-for-inflation-1485353267

Terrell

No, Nintendo themselves say they go for those sorts of price points. The Wii U was likely priced so high so as not to lose on the GamePad. That or they thought the Wii name would work again (They have previously states the Wii was too cheap).

See the post you quoted again. Inflation is a thing that, when not accounted for, changes the scope of what can be achieved. If Nintendo stays rigidly at $200-250, by 2030, their hardware will have the capability of a Texas Instruments graphing calculator.

Also, source on Nintendo's price point strategy? And by that I mean, quote that doesn't come from the 2000s or earlier?

And your supposition on the Wii U's pricing doesn't change the reality of it. If they were so slavishly tied to the $200-250 price bracket as you suggest, the GamePad wouldn't have been there to increase the retail price in the first place.

Shiggy

See the post you quoted again. Inflation is a thing that, when not accounted for, changes the scope of what can be achieved. If Nintendo stays rigidly at $200-250, by 2030, their hardware will have the capability of a Texas Instruments graphing calculator.

Haven't technology products rather become cheaper than more expensive over the past few decades? Unless you expect hyperinflation to occur soon, your statement seems rather unlikely.

Even then, another Nintendo console launching at 300 Euros would show that Nintendo has not learnt anything. Why pay more for less? They aren't Apple.

If not AMD, then who, though? That's my big question.

So it's more likely that NX will get a game that has an exclusivity time window than a game that doesn't...?

You're ignoring the point I'm trying to make. Final Fantasy XV is a technical mess, and Square Enix can barely seem to get the thing running on PS4/Xbox One at 1080p and above 25fps. Aside from PC, I don't see them releasing it on any other systems due to that alone.

When you consider that actually, NX being on the same level or even slightly less powerful than PS4/XB1 is more likely than the reverse, I don't see why SE would go through the headache of trying to port the game to the system. FFVII R may eventually come to NX because it's being built in Unreal Engine and would, in theory, be a much 'easier' job.

Also, source on Nintendo's price point strategy? And by that I mean, quote that doesn't come from the 2000s or earlier?

And your supposition on the Wii U's pricing doesn't change the reality of it. If they were so slavishly tied to the $200-250 price bracket as you suggest, the GamePad wouldn't have been there to increase the retail price in the first place.

The Nintendo Difference isn't a selling point to the broader audience anymore. Pricing NX at parity with PS4 and Xbox One is suicide. It'll be Wii U 2.0. This thing needs to be sub £299/$299 otherwise they don't stand a chance of selling it to anyone except their most die hard fans. I see what AzaK is saying. Need to release something cheap and off the shelf that can accommodate Unreal Engine and curren generation games at a reasonable performance level.

Genio88

Well it'd be awful if they came with a weaker console after 3 years from XB1 and Ps4, also they'd be crazy not to use a x86 architecture for NX...They can't afford another WiiU like fail

Xiao Hu

Well it'd be awful if they came with a weaker console after 3 years from XB1 and Ps4, also they'd be crazy not to use a x86 architecture for NX...They can't afford another WiiU like fail

If you're alluding that it might be more difficult to port games from the other platforms to NX due to different architecture, then we have to refer you to the countless comments by TechGAF that have stipulated how it is not of a big problem softwarewise anymore. Now if it's the hardware power that makes you concerned, the very same folks have also presented how efficient the most likely candidate (ARM) in fact is. The only thing, that might be harmful, is exactly the 'Nintendo is putting mobile hardware in their home console, lol!' narrative

If you're alluding that it might be more difficult to port games from the other platforms to NX due to different architecture, then we have to refer you to the countless comments by TechGAF that have stipulated how it is not of a big problem softwarewise anymore. Now if it's the hardware power that makes you concerned, the very same folks have also presented how efficient the most likely candidate (ARM) in fact is. The only thing, that might be harmful, is exactly the 'Nintendo is putting mobile hardware in their home console, lol!' narrative

Yeah, ARM is basically as ubiquitous an architecture as x86, and widely supported by game engines due to mobile devices, including and especially Unity and UE4. While having the console be x86 and the handheld be ARM and them still be able to be cross-compatible is possible, having them both be ARM would be ideal for eliminating compatibility issues, and wouldn't really be any weaker than x86.

bachikarn

I hope you're right since I dont see the most people paying $300+ for a Nintendo system, which is way I'm hoping these NX high power rumors are false, unless they take a huge loss with selling the units by making it $250.

The GameCube was cheap (getting to $99 only 2 years into its cycle) and no one bought that thing either. People won't buy the NX because it is cheap. They will buy it if they think it has good value. The problem is they will get killed by the media if it underpowered again, and the perceived value will be low again.

So if they are going to go cheap, they better have a killer feature and appealing software like the Wiimote and Wii Sports. I'm skeptical they'll ever make a gimmick as appealing as that ever again for consoles.

I'm not sure it matters how powerful it's hardware is this late into the generation. People have already aligned themselves how they will be aligned for the rest of the generation and so have developers, by and large. While I understand the urgency behind NX, I hope this doesn't mean they won't launch their next console when the PS5 and Xbox Two launch. The rhythm is very off with this system.

Thraktor

In late 2014 AMD announced that they just got two semi-custom design wins, one ARM and one x86. They said at least one was gaming (and didn't specify which) and they said at least one had a planned late-2016 launch. In 2015 they announced another semi-custom design win, although didn't go into any details. At the start of this year they again confirmed that one of these design wins would launch late 2016.

It's widely assumed that the late 2014 ARM design win is NX (possibly just the home console, or possibly both it and the handheld). I had presumed the late 2014 x86 design win was either a server or HPC chip, and the 2015 design win was Apple (due to rumours of an AMD APU being used in future iMacs), although one or both of them could be PS4K or XB1.5. In any case, it doesn't really affect the prior assumption that NX would use a semi-custom ARM APU from AMD.

Zoon

We might be getting new rumors today. A guy has apparently been verified by reddit mods as having connections with NX devs.

Top Bottom