• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

But to give you an answer. Sony isn't the holy grail. They are strong, but it's just a matter of marketing and making deals. The only thing what would be diffecult is, this is a late gen console, people doesn't like to buy a between console gen, or it does have to be completly new.

Obviously the new gen starts this year with new consoles from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Could be an advantage for Nintendo.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I remember the WUST. Lots of Nintendo fanboys insisted it was going to be a halfway house between PS3 and PS4 and the cries of lamentation when the truth started to be revealed.

I fully expect the NX to be the same. Lots of Nintendo fans have looked forward to Nintendo returning back to a time when their console was graphically king. It's simply not going to happen. Nintendo are not interested in competing.

Accept it.

Fredrik

Whether they like it or not, they have to compete with Sony and Microsoft if they want to stay in the console business. They can't replicate Wii's success anymore. They tried that with Wii U and failed miserably. Even then with the Wii, 3rd party titles were continuing to declining, and weren't selling nearly as much copies as 3rd party titles(specifically multi plats) on the 360 and PS3.
Or maybe they can? Lots of core gamers had Wii as a secondary console, for family fun or quirky Nintendo titles etc etc, and if both Playstation and Xbox owners sees Nintendos next console as interesting enough to have as a secondary console then it's obvious that it'll sell a lot even if it isn't competing in any way with PS4 or Xbox One.
So lets wait and see what their take for the future of gaming ala Nintendo is this time before declaring it a failure.

Taker666

I remember the WUST. Lots of Nintendo fanboys insisted it was going to be a halfway house between PS3 and PS4 and the cries of lamentation when the truth started to be revealed.

I fully expect the NX to be the same. Lots of Nintendo fans have looked forward to Nintendo returning back to a time when their console was graphically king. It's simply not going to happen. Nintendo are not interested in competing.

Accept it.

It would certainly be foolish for people to convince themselves that it's sure to be close to XB1 or PS4.

It's as likely to be a $150 box that's not much more powerful than Wii U ,minus the gamepad but with a "new concept", as it is to be a $300+ box that's as/more powerful than XB1/PS4.

In a way that's what's going to make the reveal so interesting...we really have no true idea of price/power or even if it's a console, handheld, both..or something else entirely.
Personally I'm just going to assume it'll be around Wii U power but maybe using 3DS style cards instead of discs....and anything else is a bonus.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To summarise, he said that

1) Two mid big size devs have no plans of supporting NX right now, but such things "can change pretty fast"
2) He has yet to meet with someone who tells him that they have NX dev kits / they plan on supporting it
3) He specified he has no infos from Japan

To be honest, I'd say that, between the "life-threatening" NDAs (a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but we know they're the tightest we've seen in a long time, with major consequences for those who can be traced as leakers...and it seems it's easy for Nintendo to track them), leaks ("official" or not) from other third parties, like Square/Namco and the uncertainty of EA (given the source's rumour), the fact that there's a game currently in beta and coming to NX, how we already know NX will support both Unity and Unreal Engine 4, and the existance of a scheduling for broad dev kits distribution as said by the third party Western developer who talked with Trevelyan...both IGC's tweets and Boogz's posts can be true at the same time. Simply, there are devs who have had dev kits for a long time (especialy Japanese), others who could have them but aren't allowed to even say they have them due to NDAs, others who don't have them for real and others who don't plan on supporting it RIGHT NOW, but things can easily change in the future (especially if tools make porting easy).

I hope you're right, what you said makes sense.
This secrecy is killing me, and I will begin to find it suspect if it goes on for too long...

Nintendo should strengthen their relationships in Japan first, get RE7, FFXV etc.

Then with their help, they can start making a case for western publishers.

Nintendo should strengthen their relationships in Japan first, get RE7, FFXV etc.

Then with their help, they can start making a case for western publishers.

They are onto it.

I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if NX gets FF XV.

The way Trevelan pulled his " FF XV might land on NX" video around the same time Nintendo told him to remove the confirmed leak was suspicious to say the least.

Just relax everyone, this is the month.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
My concern with this is that what you'll have is this situation:

The leader of the generation by a LONG shot making a much more powerful machine
The loser of the generation that almost NOONE gives a shit about any more, finally catching up.
The former will likely have backwards compatibility
The latter may or may not but who cares for the 6 good games

Who do you think people will go for? Basically for Nintendo to get the enthusiast gamer back they would need a machine of such great power and features that the PS4 looks like a calculator. There is no way Nintendo will do that. Nintendo know their place in the market - Japanese handheld gamers and Nintendo fans.

I PS4.5 wasn't coming I would have thought Nintendo might be able to sit another 4-5 years out with a comparable machine until the PS5 comes and then refresh and keep in lockstep tech-wise. Now I'm not so sure they can do it.

I dont think many in the PS4K threads are paying attention to this possibility. Trade in/sell your PS4, (I'm sure Gamestop will have a trade in deal) go with PS4K and your current games are still good. And with the chance B/C might affect Wii U games on NX....something that is a pro for the Wii U.

Nintendo....perpetually caught between a rock and a hard place...

1) Two mid big size devs have no plans of supporting NX right now, but such things "can change pretty fast"
2) He has yet to meet with someone who tells him that they have NX dev kits / they plan on supporting it

To be honest, I'd say that, between the "life-threatening" NDAs (a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but we know they're the tightest we've seen in a long time, with major consequences for those who can be traced as leakers...and it seems it's easy for Nintendo to track them), leaks ("official" or not) from other third parties, like Square/Namco and the uncertainty of EA (given the source's rumour), the fact that there's a game currently in beta and coming to NX, how we already know NX will support both Unity and Unreal Engine 4, and the existance of a scheduling for broad dev kits distribution as said by the third party Western developer who talked with Trevelyan...both IGC's tweets and Boogz's posts can be true at the same time. Simply, there are devs who have had dev kits for a long time (especialy Japanese), others who could have them but aren't allowed to even say they have them due to NDAs, others who don't have them for real and others who don't plan on supporting it RIGHT NOW, but things can easily change in the future (especially if tools make porting easy).

Yup this is what I was thinking too.

Not that he shouldnt be believed....but that in his circles he hasnt come across anyone who has a dev kit or plan on supporting it. Every insider, those in the know dont know everyone and each insider's contacts, etc.

You guys should relax a little. News is coming this month with the investors meeting and even the rumored event to happen after Star Fox Zero releases.

I really want to see what games Nintendo has! I know 3D Mario, Zelda, Pikmin are coming.

I'm most intrigued with what Retro Studios is doing. They're such a mystery and everything they make is so good

MoonFrog

I could swear indeed they did. Very early to the NX development. But I'm unable to find the link.

Perhaps you are talking about where that reporter got answers like: "we aren't competing on power and won't make a powerful machine just to be powerful?"

That doesn't mean the console won't be powerful just that power is not the first consideration in and of itself, at least according to that anonymous source to I think it was the WSJ Tokyo guy iirc.

Kouriozan

They are onto it.

The way Trevelan pulled his " FF XV might land on NX" video around the same time Nintendo told him to remove the confirmed leak was suspicious to say the least.

I bet FF XV will ultimately ends up on everything (of course if the port is easy and cheap) if Square Enix want that 10M games sold.

Anarky

Banned
You guys should relax a little. News is coming this month with the investors meeting and even the rumored event to happen after Star Fox Zero releases.

I really want to see what games Nintendo has! I know 3D Mario, Zelda, Pikmin are coming.

I'm most intrigued with what Retro Studios is doing. They're such a mystery and everything they make is so good

Hold up when was this rumor?

Yeah, I agree. I asked questions in that thread to see if he/she can provide more info. I think he/she can be right from his/her sources, but every "insiders" are confined to their own sources. If I can prioritize leakers' info, I would put Trev's info as first priority as he actually leak sth truth. Nintendo is certainly onto something, especially the Japanese developers. Hell, I would say both FFVIIR and FFXV are coming to NX too, provided that Trev deleted the FF rumor from his website.

I bet FF XV will ultimately ends up on everything (of course if the port is easy and cheap) if Square Enix want that 10M games sold.

Yep. Seems crazy if Square Enix don't release that game on as many platforms as possible as they has put crazy amount of budget into it.

Hold up when was this rumor?

This was last week. A person posted on Reddit saying they worked at Nintendo. They said Nintendo would announce for a NX event in mid April and the event would be late April after Star Fox Zero releases.

Even if it's bs I hope something like that happens. After Star Fox 0 there's nothing left for the Wii U until E3.

Exactly. PC is absolutely, definitely, 100% happening (later).

Maybe someone at NCL greased the wheels a bit. I'm still 50:50 on it, but yeah, I wouldn't be shocked.

omonimo

Banned
Perhaps you are talking about where that reporter got answers like: "we aren't competing on power and won't make a powerful machine just to be powerful?"

That doesn't mean the console won't be powerful just that power is not the first consideration in and of itself, at least according to that anonymous source to I think it was the WSJ Tokyo guy iirc.
Yeah. I don't even know how someone can hope that Nintendo will develop a competitive hardware. I'm not want to sound cynic but it's not what Nintendo targeting when release a new hardware. Everything will be a bonus.

Nin_Fan

They are onto it.

Being that square needs to sell 10 million of FF XV it would be wise for square to port it over. It makes sense business wise because now they could have 2 big sources in Japan to sell the game to. If Nintendo was smart they would make some sort of launch bundle with FF XV packed in. Man I would be surprised to hear square announce some FF XV side game for the mobile NX. It just seems like a no brainer so that means it won't happen. I doubt my dream of a Nintendo/square relationship from the 8 bit/16 bit era will ever come to pass. :'(

thefro

Not that he shouldnt be believed....but that in his circles he hasnt come across anyone who has a dev kit or plan on supporting it. Every insider, those in the know dont know everyone and each insider's contacts, etc.

Unless they're indie devs, they're not making the decision on whether to support NX or not. That's going to come from the Publishers who actually foot the bill.

Nin_Fan

Nintendo wouldn't require that. My bet is that 50% of games will be cross compatible and each will have games exclusive. I also think Nintendo won't do 100% crossbuy either. It's going to be some sort of buy the console game and get a code to download the full mobile version for $10 or $20 and maybe every game will have some free "app" that ties into the main game.

Nintendo has to give incentives to buy both systems. If all their games released for both systems then you'll have people only buying one system instead of both.

I can see them releasing hardware exclusive games while many are compatible to both. Exclusive features for handheld and console will play a part too.

Nintendo has to give incentives to buy both systems. If all their games released for both systems then you'll have people only buying one system instead of both.

I can see them releasing hardware exclusive games while many are compatible to both. Exclusive features for handheld and console will play a part too.

As long as you're in the NX ecosystem and buying plenty of software, I don't think Nintendo really cares if you only own one piece of NX hardware. Assuming everything is cross-compatible, of course.

As long as you're in the NX ecosystem and buying plenty of software, I don't think Nintendo really cares if you only own one NX system. Assuming everything is cross-compatible, of course.
Actually, I think you're right. I believe Iwata said "they'll see which way consumers go with the hardware and follow that path" or something to that extent.

Kind of sounds like they don't mind if NX console and NX handheld don't sell 80 million each. I think it would matter more of how much overall software they sell and the combination of hardware sales. Maybe NX console sells 30 million and NX handheld sells 60 million which is 90 million sales.

the marketing campaign for the NX must be perfect, especially if the rumours are true with a new ps4 and xb1 coming this year. And not only, PS VR is also on it's way.

Zelda is a good start, but not enough, the Wii had Wii Sports and the innovative control scheme that made it successful.

It would certainly be foolish for people to convince themselves that it's sure to be close to XB1 or PS4.

It's as likely to be a $150 box that's not much more powerful than Wii U ,minus the gamepad but with a "new concept", as it is to be a $300+ box that's as/more powerful than XB1/PS4.

In a way that's what's going to make the reveal so interesting...we really have no true idea of price/power or even if it's a console, handheld, both..or something else entirely.
Personally I'm just going to assume it'll be around Wii U power but maybe using 3DS style cards instead of discs....and anything else is a bonus.

The "new" concept will be using your tablet or smartphone for a 2nd screen feature. Something PS4 and XB1 already can do.

Nin_Fan

As long as you're in the NX ecosystem and buying plenty of software, I don't think Nintendo really cares if you only own one piece of NX hardware. Assuming everything is cross-compatible, of course.

Nintendo never copies concepts 100%, this would mimick apple and Android too much. They don't want to risk losing two streams of revenue. That would be a huge risk for them. I see them testing the waters and slowly moving to the 100% compatible. Remember Nintendo only risks big when they have a backup like DS and 3DS if things go wrong. There is no backup this time of it doesn't succeed. They are too conservative it risk it all.

Nintendo never copies concepts 100%, this would mimick apple and Android too much. They don't want to risk losing two streams of revenue. That would be a huge risk for them. I see them testing the waters and slowly moving to the 100% compatible. Remember Nintendo only risks big when they have a backup like DS and 3DS if things go wrong. There is no backup this time of it doesn't succeed. They are too conservative it risk it all.

I honestly don't feel that moving to a unified platform is more risky than having two separate ecosystems in 2016 .

Snakeyes

Or maybe they can? Lots of core gamers had Wii as a secondary console, for family fun or quirky Nintendo titles etc etc, and if both Playstation and Xbox owners sees Nintendos next console as interesting enough to have as a secondary console then it's obvious that it'll sell a lot even if it isn't competing in any way with PS4 or Xbox One.
I think it's the other way around; a lot of core gamers bought into Wii due to the low price, software lineup and novelty of motion controls, then moved on to the PS360 after seeing that most of the exciting stuff in that gen would be happening on those platforms. This is evidenced by the monster sales of the Wii in its first two years on the market (correct me if I'm wrong, but it was outselling the other two consoles 2 to 1 combined at some point), relatively strong sales of core games on the system at first and anecdotal reports of people letting it collect dust after buying one of the HD twins.

The vast majority of game consumers don't buy secondary consoles - they either stick with one or jump ship if something better comes along.

Neoxon

The idea is to sell double the amount of software without having to make as many SKUs or different versions (hence the speculation of the NX devices using high-capacity cartridges). So rather than selling 9 million copies of Smash on a handheld & 4 million of Smash on a console, they'd sell 13 million copies of one Smash game. This would also help Nintendo sort out their software drought issues to where they can more easily. Not to mention the possibilities of Nintendo adding more variety to their line-up since they don't have to make 2 Mario Karts or 2 Smashes (but in the case of the latter, the Smash team wouldn't have to split their focus between two games to where each game gets half as many stages & other features).

Neoxon

But as OrbitalBeard said, having two separate platforms now would be too dangerous for Nintendo in the long-run, especially with the software droughts that both the Wii U & the 3DS saw at various points in their lives. Iwata even alluded to such a shared platform when using iOS as an example for what he wanted for Nintendo devices going forward. The fact that Nintendo has unified their console & handheld development teams does point to this mentality being taken to heart for the NX Platform.

The idea is to sell double the amount of software without having to make as many SKUs or different versions (hence the speculation of the NX devices using high-capacity cartridges). So rather than selling 9 million copies of Smash on a handheld & 4 million of Smash on a console, they'd sell 13 million copies of one Smash game. This would also help Nintendo sort out their software drought issues to where they can more easily. Not to mention the possibilities of Nintendo adding more variety to their line-up since they don't have to make 2 Mario Karts or 2 Smashes (but in the case of the latter, the Smash team wouldn't have to split their focus between two games to where each game gets half as many stages & other features).

Yeah, instead of having to make 2 Mario Kart games all they would do is make one. And now they have more time to make more games since they don't have to focus on two Smash games, 2 Mario Kart games, 2 Mario Party games, Ect.

That gets me most excited knowing we could get more games from Nintendo.

Why wouldn't third party devs love the idea of making like a FFVIIR game for NX console knowing it could play for the NX handheld too? I guess it depends how hard it is to make it work for both?

Especially Japanese developers. Handhelds rule Japan still. If Nintendo told me I could make MGSV for NX console and it could work for NX handheld I'd be like sign me up lol

Snakeyes

Why wouldn't third party devs love the idea of making like a FFVIIR game for NX console knowing it could play for the NX handheld too? I guess it depends how hard it is to make it work for both?

Japanese third parties would love it as it would allow them to target both their handheld-focused domestic market and the overseas market at once (in fact I feel this is one of the reasons why Square-Enix seem so enthusiastic about NX), but Western third parties wouldn't care as much because they already make most of their sales on home console hardware.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016, Nintendo Co. Ltd. held in conjunction with its FY 2015 Third Quarter Earnings Release a news conference at the Osaka Stock Exchange in Osaka, Japan. Mr. Kimishima was present and answered questions:

newsconference_ninten5nj1k.png

Photographer: Buddhika Weerasinghe/Bloomberg via Getty Images

About this rumored NX-related event in late April, poster desmotor on reddit wrote:

Media event announced in mid April. Event in late April after SF0 Launches
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4c1ccu/i_know_stuff_about_nx_ama/

Nintendo's FY 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release is scheduled for April 27, 2016. A Financial Results Briefing the day after, on April 28, is very likely. But a news conference on April 27 seems reasonable to expect. If Nintendo has a news conference for every earnings release I don't know, but for the most recent earnings releases they have held a news conference, and most importantly there was one for the FY 2014 Fiscal Year Earnings Release on May 7, 2015.

The reddit poster indicated this rumored NX event would be announced in mid April and held in late April after the release of Star Fox Zero for Wii U. Star Fox Zero launches on April 21, 2016 in Japan and worldwide the day after. April 27 is a mere week after the release of this game, and seems to me a wonderful opportunity to hold an NX conference. It would allow the public to get a first glimpse of the system on the first day (April 27) while the next day, during a tentative Financial Results Briefing, analysts and investors would have the chance to ask questions about this new business.

We know from the Q&A session of Nintendo's Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2016 that further information on new businesses (NX and the like) will be presented in close proximity to the upcoming earnings release:

As for new businesses, we will present further information when we go into details about our forecasts for the next fiscal year. We do not plan to speak about NX today. We continue development and planning efforts for NX in preparation for launch, so it will require additional investment.
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160203qa/03.html

This rumored NX event I have received no information about, but having such in connection to Nintendo's FY 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release on April 27, 2016, would make much sense. Certainly it would be held in a venue more glamorous than that in the photo above. Regardless of what happens, I am expecting from Nintendo some kind of information related to NX by the end of the month.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
But I think that source is quite unreliable. Isn't the same guy who talked about Mario Underground and posted the prices for both pieces of hardware, despite the fact we're several months before launches? I mean, I wouldn't try to use it as a piece of evidence something more substantial than the PR for shareholders is happening this month.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
But I think that source is quite unreliable. Isn't the same guy who talked about Mario Underground and posted the prices for both pieces of hardware, despite the fact we're several months before launches? I mean, I wouldn't try to use it as a piece of evidence something more substantial than the PR for shareholders is happening this month.
Of course. I did not try to use it as evidence of something happening nor as a way to legitimize the reddit poster. I merely expressed my opinion on the matter, and why I think an NX event by the end of the month would make sense.

Nin_Fan

But as OrbitalBeard said, having two separate platforms now would be too dangerous for Nintendo in the long-run, especially with the software droughts that both the Wii U & the 3DS saw at various points in their lives. Iwata even alluded to such a shared platform when using iOS as an example for what he wanted for Nintendo devices going forward. The fact that Nintendo has unified their console & handheld development teams does point to this mentality being taken to heart for the NX Platform.
Man would I love this to be true it would be a gamers dream!!! But how??? I can't see a game like FF XV on home and mobile, no way! Is there mobile hardware that exist that could provide the power enough to replicate a game on that level? We know it's not a hybrid. So too me the only way has to be some graphics heavy AAA games being console exclusive and indies and mobile games. Now I could see being able to play all mobile games on the home console but not the other way arround.

Zoon

Man would I love this to be true it would be a gamers dream!!! But how??? I can't see a game like FF XV on home and mobile, no way! Is there mobile hardware that exist that could provide the power enough to replicate a game on that level? We know it's not a hybrid. So too me the only way has to be some graphics heavy AAA games being console exclusive and indies and mobile games. Now I could see being able to play all mobile games on the home console but not the other way arround.

If the handheld launches in Q1 2017 or later, I think it could be quite possible for it to run it in let's say 540p @ low settings.

Nin_Fan

If the handheld launches in Q1 2017 or later, I think it could be quite possible for it to run it in let's say 540p @ low settings.
Really!!! Omg that's awesome I didn't know mobile technology was that good now!! Man I would hate to think of the battery life! Ok I'm starting to get excited now!! If they can pull of at least 90% compatibility, I don't think it would matter if it was only xbox one or ps4 level power. I don't know I don't want to get my hopes up!

I think it's the other way around; a lot of core gamers bought into Wii due to the low price, software lineup and novelty of motion controls, then moved on to the PS360 after seeing that most of the exciting stuff in that gen would be happening on those platforms. This is evidenced by the monster sales of the Wii in its first two years on the market (correct me if I'm wrong, but it was outselling the other two consoles 2 to 1 combined at some point), relatively strong sales of core games on the system at first and anecdotal reports of people letting it collect dust after buying one of the HD twins.

The vast majority of game consumers don't buy secondary consoles - they either stick with one or jump ship if something better comes along.

According to software sales, people were still gobbling up Wii titles long after the console was selling gangbusters. Anecdotes are anecdotes and all that. Core software sales on Wii were likely poisoned by the publishers themselves putting out either piss poor core products, insulting products, or good products that were just really risky or niche.

Top Bottom