• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

Anarky

Banned
I like the idea of a base console and handled with moderate (say XB1) level hardware, with added SCD units to make your console as powerful as you want. they do have patents for such a device/s and i think it'd be the way to go.

Developers seem to have no problems developing or PC games which vary wildly in power, so I figure it'd be the same thing. Have several preset "performance settings" and depending on your SCDs it detects which performance setting you get.

Yeah that in addition to the shared library would be pretty sweet.

Anarky

Banned
Whrever it ends up falling on the power spectrum, just know we'll get a new 3D Mario game that looks better than 3D World is hnggggggggggg

Can a new 3d mario game even look noticeably better than 3d world? I mean I honestly think that's the best they can look.

Mithos

Can a new 3d mario game even look noticeably better than 3d world? I mean I honestly think that's the best they can look.

And that's Nintendos problem, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3d World, sure they look better end better, but not hugely so, the artstyle used is stopping them.

I want the Mario NX game whatever it is, to be Super Mario 64 -> Galaxy/3Dworld jump, not a Galaxy -> 3D World refinement.

When square announced DQXI for it, which uses Unreal 4. They then pulled the announcement.

That is not a confirmation of anything. DQ XI is also being released on 3DS, and the 3DS version does not use UE4. The NX port could very well be a port of the 3DS version running at a higher resolution on the NX handheld. Nothing more than rumors at this point.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Mario games at 4K and 144fps would look sick, even if textures, effects and geometry remained the same.

Sure, I would imagine textures, effects, amount of detail and things on the screen would improve. Plus I imagine that dev team would find more creative uses for the power beyond what I could really imagine.

angelic

Banned
And that's Nintendos problem, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3d World, sure they look better end better, but not hugely so, the artstyle used is stopping them.

Couldnt disagree more, talented people (nintendo) will always utilise new tech in amazing ways, as they have done for years. Mario World blew everything out of the water, OOT did it, Galaxy did it, and they'll do it again.

I want the Mario NX game whatever it is, to be Super Mario 64 -> Galaxy/3Dworld jump, not a Galaxy -> 3D World refinement.

I dunno, have you seen Galaxy running in Dolphin? It looks downright gorgeous, despite being a Wii game. I really don't think art style is the problem.

They just need to make the games higher resolution, but everything else looks mostly fine. The only thing that stood out to me as bad in 3D World was the skybox water textures, the repeating tiles were WAY too obvious for a current-gen game.

I enjoy how you paint the other side of the argument as overly hopeful and unrealistic while you talk about screenless controllers with integrated game systems and tv dongles :p

Well it may not be right but certainly ticks all the boxes of being a brand new concept, new way to play games, part of redefining what a videogames platform is and so on, not to mention how they murkily refer to it as a system without the c word except for Reggie one time. It even points toward a realistic way for the multiple devices = more power concept to work, where people playing a multiplayer game could stream alternating frames or half frames to the tv.
If people want to interpret all of Nintendo's comments as 'oh, they just mean a rebadged ps4 with a smell-o-vision controller' that's fine, but I'm going to ride my own personal crazy train all the way to e3.

Alebrije

So if rumor is true, power list could be:

Xbone
Ps4
NX
Xbone 1.5 / Ps4K

Or

Xbone
Ps4
NX/ Xbone 1.5 / Ps4

Yea we do not know anything but guess things will end similar to those list. Just really hope this time Nintendo bet for a powerfull hardware to compete and get 3rd p support.

Mithos

I dunno, have you seen Galaxy running in Dolphin? It looks downright gorgeous, despite being a Wii game. I really don't think art style is the problem.

They just need to make the games higher resolution, but everything else looks mostly fine. The only thing that stood out to me as bad in 3D World was the skybox water textures, the repeating tiles were WAY too obvious for a current-gen game.

1. Yes it looks like a Wii game running in 1080p if that's the resolution you use in Dolphin.
2. No they need resolution, and a generational texture evolution, not just flat colors (for starters).

Except the nx has vulkan and unreal 4 support that the Wii U didn't.

True, and the NX is releasing after a failed console, whereas the Wii U wasn't. There are many differences, but a general similarity in terms of the timing and the state of the competition is not an absurd claim, in my opinion.

PSqueak

Banned

There is a vine made with SFM that has Meowser dancing, the model is straight out of 3d world, but seeing it with all the fancy PC shaders and stuff makes it look incredibly better than 3d world, and again, it's the same model from the game, so yes, i think they can do way better.

AzaK

What if Nintendo is going to offer a cheap ($250-299) entry-level NX console, on par with XB1 power-wise, AND a €399 premium-console with twice the power and 4k upscaling/output, both sharing the same game library, together with their mobile derivate?

Just sayin...

I'd like that...

I just want the patent. A base system with expandable units that I can make faster and faster. Overall cheaper than rebutting consoles, full backwards compatibility (I'd hope) and a unit to suit all budgets.

It can't just be "more" powerful than the PS4 and XBOne...that's what the Wii-U did against the PS3 and XB360...It has to be several orders of magnitude more powerful than the PS4 and XBOne.

Think about it like this. The NES could do 64 colors, the SNES did an Order of magnitude more at 65,000+. The SNES+FX(II) could do about 1200-1800 polygons per second, the N64 could do about 100,000-170,000 per second, and the GameCube went a step further at 1.20 Million Polygons per-second.

If Nintendo is Serious, it HAS to be an order of magnitude performance jump much like their past history. Make the NX at the VERY LEAST 10 times more powerful than the Wii-U. Anything less than 7 times more powerful than the PS4 is wasting everybody's time.
You do realize that Nintendo's never been focused on power, right? The reason their systems have *mostly* been more powerful than competitors in the past, neverminding certain aspects they were weaker in, is because of their late launches. And it's not like they blew their competitors clearly out of the water....ever, honestly. Just marginally more capable in a few ways is all.

So while it likely will be more powerful than PS4, don't expect it to be anywhere near a generational leap, or something like the Dreamcast compared to PS1.

Couldnt disagree more, talented people (nintendo) will always utilise new tech in amazing ways, as they have done for years. Mario World blew everything out of the water, OOT did it, Galaxy did it, and they'll do it again.

It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo can manage something as neat-looking as Dreams. That's really set a new visual standard for "whimsical" 3D art styles I feel.

What if Nintendo is going to offer a cheap ($250-299) entry-level NX console, on par with XB1 power-wise, AND a €399 premium-console with twice the power and 4k upscaling/output, both sharing the same game library, together with their mobile derivate?

Just sayin...

I'd like that...

No bueno.
That's gonna fracture the hell out of its fanbase if they both come out in the same time. Doesn't help that Wii U's install base is low compared to Xbox1 and PS4.

Anarky

Banned
There is a vine made with SFM that has Meowser dancing, the model is straight out of 3d world, but seeing it with all the fancy PC shaders and stuff makes it look incredibly better than 3d world, and again, it's the same model from the game, so yes, i think they can do way better.

Edit: Never mind found it myself. Also I see what you mean.

Rodin

If Nintendo is Serious, it HAS to be an order of magnitude performance jump much like their past history. Make the NX at the VERY LEAST 10 times more powerful than the Wii-U. Anything less than 7 times more powerful than the PS4 is wasting everybody's time.
VYjbFxd.gif

I mean, i would agree about the jump compared to the Wii U, but that's some unique math you're doing there mate.

NX will be crushed by the new PS4K

So? The new PS4K is also very likely to be at least 100$ more expensive.

What Nintendo has to do is to offer a product with high value for money, not having the fastest console on the market. The Wii U was perceived as very weak, so a 350$ price point to play late ports that ran like ass was a major joke for a lot of people, and that's without taking into account the awful online and services. But if the NX is in the PS4 ballpark for 299, and maybe has a unique hook too, then it may be seen as something that offers a lot for the money.

What they need to avoid at all costs is to offer an unattractive gimmick at a high price, because then value for money would be perceived as very low and the new console would follow the Wii U's footsteps quite nicely.

OK but Ps4 and x1 are already antiquated at this point and possibly getting refreshed hardware. So that isn't meaning much to me. Nintendo needs to get ahead instead of always dragging ass behind.

FyreWulff

Just sayin...

I'd like that...

I think the era of the multi-SKU console is dead. It was a silly idea introduced by the need for MS to save money on the 360 and died when it backfired for the Wii U.

Mory Dunz

Well, MK8 exists which already looks better....so just imagine MK8 with a higher resolution and some more AA.

yeah.
edit:
wow, where did he get that animation from? Or he did he make it from scratch? Seems really smooth and not janky for not being made by a company

I'm expecting something between XB1 and PS4, but my worry is more the price. If some new killer hook in the controller or such like bumps the price up, and their competitors release slim variants with a reduced price, then it'll be hard to gain momentum being the most expensive and not showcasing an obvious power advantage. It really is a minefield releasing mid-gen.

Roo

What's the point of "details" when the games can barely make it to 30 fps lmfao. Look at Assassin's Creed. Beautiful game. So much going on..and oh it's a broken game.

Power isn't everything. It's how the power is used.

???
I NEVER said power was everything. I was just pointing out the fact that Nintendo games can benefit greatly from better/stronger hardware.

Performance always will come first for Nintendo.

A game being broken has more to do with how much time developers spend optimizing said game rather than if the hardware is powerful or not.

Using your example, Ubisoft prioritizing graphics over performance is not surprise to anyone and hence the comment at the end of my post.

pooh

Not sure if full 4K resolution is all that necessary, but I would assume it needs to be powerful enough to render to multiple gamepads, if some of the rumors about that are true.

Top Bottom