• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

Manoko

I'd be perfectly fine if it just ran Xbone/PS4 games at 720p. I can't tell the difference between resolutions in the first place.

Seriously ?
You can't tell the difference between 720p and native 1080p ?

Are you one of the people who can't see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps as well ?
Just asking, not being condescending.

Same here.

Unless they want to launch at $350 again ( I don't think they do...)
Uhm, we have a preliminary price of the PS4K with $399, which should be about 2x GPU performance over the vanilla PS4 ... and you expect a console that could have XOne or vanilla PS4 like power to be $350?

I could see Sony selling the PS4K without a loss, because the system is going to draw the
enthusiasts who are willing to dish out more money than the average joe and average jill.
That should give Nintendo a possibility to reach the power level of the vanilla consoles and stay at an affordable price.

I think it will support 4K for streaming but the games will still be 1080p native. There's no way Nintendo will do anything more than this.

I'm expecting it to be slightly below the Xbox One for the sake of keeping costs down.

The stigma of being underpowered was one of the precursors for Wii u 's cloud of negativity and bad word of mouth. Yup, let's repeat that mistake, sounds like a plan.

MK_768

???
I NEVER said power was everything. I was just pointing out the fact that Nintendo games can benefit greatly from better/stronger hardware.

Performance always will come first for Nintendo.

A game being broken has more to do with how much time developers spend optimizing said game rather than if the hardware is powerful or not.

Using your example, Ubisoft prioritizing graphics over performance is not surprise to anyone and hence the comment at the end of my post.

1. I never said you said anything about power being everything. Sooooo

2. And that's a fair point, but I was just adding that more power doesn't mean the game will be better. I fully admit that's not the correlation you made, but it's something I see a lot.

I was more adding onto your comment than criticizing it. I see how it could've been misinterpreted. My bad.

Syndicate isn't broken...

*sigh* Unity.

udivision

Uhm, we have a preliminary price of the PS4K with $399, which should be about 2x GPU performance over the vanilla PS4 ... and you expect a console that could have XOne or vanilla PS4 like power to be $350?

I could see Sony selling the PS4K without a loss, because the system is going to draw the
enthusiasts who are willing to dish out more money than the average joe and average jill.
That should give Nintendo a possibility to reach the power level of the vanilla consoles and stay at an affordable price.

The Wii U is still at $300 MSRP, so I'm assuming the NX console is going to launch at somewhere around that price. Even if the Wii U gets a price drop to $250, I don't expect the NX to launch at less than $300. The "catch" for the NX could add to the cost as well.

Malus

Seriously ?
You can't tell the difference between 720p and native 1080p ?

Are you one of the people who can't see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps as well ?
Just asking, not being condescending.

I can tell the difference between framerate yes, resolution not so much. Unless I'm watching a Digital Foundry video and they do a super duper close up or something (and even then watching ps4 vs Xbox df videos they look mostly the same to me), but during gameplay the difference is basically nothing.

The stigma of being underpowered was one of the precursors for Wii u 's cloud of negativity and bad word of mouth. Yup, let's repeat that mistake, sounds like a plan.

The stigma is not going to go away just because Nintendo releases a powerful console.

I remember even during the GameCube/PS2 era, people regularly argued that the PS2 was more powerful (which was objectively untrue), because they saw games like Animal Crossing on the GCN with its simplistic visuals and contrasted them with PS2 games like Final Fantasy X with detailed, realistic models and FMVs. Perception is everything, and it's been working against Nintendo since the N64.

I wonder how many here still consider that Nintendo's innovative novelty isn't related to input but rather how it deals with power to begin with. If Nintendo goes the whole cloud SCD route then it would make sense that it's "technically" more powerful than Xbox One/PS4.

But wasn't Wii U 350 and PS4 400?

It would depend on what exactly the NX is and how expensive it is to make.
Not using some fancy PowerPC architecture or anything else exotic should help this time.
And without the Gamepad, which funnily seems to have some exotic components too (the irony), the system could have been cheaper.

The Wii U is still at $300 MSRP, so I'm assuming the NX console is going to launch at somewhere around that price. Even if the Wii U gets a price drop to $250, I don't expect the NX to launch at less than $300. The "catch" for the NX could add to the cost as well.
Not a problem, drop the Wii U price to sub $200, if still being widely available in retail at the time of NX release. If the reports are true, they're already preparing to cease production of the thing. Plus, retailers might dish out the remaining stuff they have in a fire sale of their own.

jdstorm

Banned
Not sure how much to read into this. However given the NXs status as a portable system dedicated to gaming I can't imagine it being over 250USD otherwise it will price itself out of the market.

However that would give them room to launch a dedicated home console on par with the XB2/PS5 when they launch.

The stigma is not going to go away just because Nintendo releases a powerful console.

I remember even during the GameCube/PS2 era, people regularly argued that the PS2 was more powerful (which was objectively untrue), because they saw games like Animal Crossing on the GCN with its simplistic visuals and contrasted them with PS2 games like Final Fantasy X with detailed, realistic models and FMVs. Perception is everything, and it's been working against Nintendo since the N64.

Perception is not set in stone. It's possible to change it if the hardware is powerful, but that's dependant on it being marketed effectively.

MK_768

Not sure how much to read into this. However given the NXs status as a portable system dedicated to gaming I can't imagine it being over 250USD otherwise it will price itself out of the market.

However that would give them room to launch a dedicated home console on par with the XB2/PS5 when they launch.

This post makes me scratch my head.

1. NXs status isn't as a portable system really.

2. Next home console isn't coming out anytime near the release of the XB2/PS5 considering XB1/PS4 are getting a new iteration within the next 18 months.

Latest rumor has it that PS4K will be $499 and released end of 2016.

I was under the impression that it is undetermined between 399 and 499 and that it depends what they do with the CPU.

Malus

Latest rumor has it that PS4K will be $499 and released end of 2016.

Hm? I thought it was Q1 2017, but I haven't been keeping up.

Anyways, I'm not expecting Nintendo to start trying to compete in the arms race. I'm just expecting a generational leap in graphics from Wii U to NX, the same way there was a leap from Wii to Wii U. Unless we're expecting Nintendo to release Gamecube -> Wii level leaps every other gen and end up 30 years behind eventually.

AGITΩ

NX needs to support 4K if wants to be relevant in a long run strategy.

Agreed. They opted out of HD with the Wii because "The market wasn't there" and it proved ultimately against their favor, regardless of the initial sales. Everything else was catch up. 4K, at least Upscale support, would be best for this scenario.

MK_768

AGITΩ;199890830 said:
Agreed. They opted out of HD with the Wii because "The market wasn't there" and it proved ultimately against their favor, regardless of the initial sales. Everything else was catch up. 4K, at least Upscale support, would be best for this scenario.

I never understood how people can be so quick to discredit the Wii.

AGITΩ;199890830 said:

Right now they have another problem: They thought they were the only ones introducing new hardware this holiday, besides of PSVR. They'd have all the news, all the articles, all the attention of gamers around the world, while their competitors had to sell 3 year old hardware.

Now Nintendo has to face a new iteration of Sony's megaseller and one might expect MS to follow suit. I mean, NX home console will be an uphill-battle for Nintendo anyhow, which has now become even steeper...

AGITΩ

I never understood how people can be so quick to discredit the Wii.

The only issue I had with the Wii was that they left it on the market too long, the Wii U should have come out a lot sooner, and been the generational midway upgrade.

Right now they have another problem: They thought they were the only ones introducing new hardware this holiday, besides of PSVR. They'd have all the news, all the articles, all the attention of gamers around the world, while their competitors had to sell 3 year old hardware.

Now Nintendo has to face a new iteration of Sony's megaseller and one might expect MS to follow suit. I mean, NX home console will be an uphill-battle for Nintendo anyhow, which has now become even steeper...

That's what I was thinking as the rumors of the PS4K started gaining more validity. Just when Nintendo was trying to speed up and play catch up again, the competition takes another leap. Question is if its too late into production to revisit some of their options or did they actually plan ahead for once. It was a bit easier to predict this with Iwata, but with Kimishima, I don't know how much he might've deviated from the initial concept of the NX.

Moze

Banned
''Easy to develop for'' is turning into a meme at this point. It seems every console has rumours about how it is super easy to develop for and developers love it so much.

Pokemaniac

AGITΩ;199892428 said:
The only issue I had with the Wii was that they left it on the market too long, the Wii U should have come out a lot sooner, and been the generational midway upgrade.

That's what I was thinking as the rumors of the PS4K started gaining more validity. Just when Nintendo was trying to speed up and play catch up again, the competition takes another leap. Question is if its too late into production to revisit some of their options or did they actually plan ahead for once. It was a bit easier to predict this with Iwata, but with Kimishima, I don't know how much he might've deviated from the initial concept of the NX.

NX is probably far enough in production right now that they probably can't make any major changes at this point. Simple adjustments like clock speed and amount of RAM should be doable, but not too much more than that.

''Easy to develop for'' is turning into a meme at this point. It seems every console has rumours about how it is super easy to develop for and developers love it so much.

To be fair, "easy to develop for" is partially subjective, and often has to do more with tooling than the actual hardware..

This is Nintendo we're talking about, right?

The Wii came out at $250, 3DS came out at $250, and the Wii U came out at $350. Its certainly possible for it come out at $300, but I'm not betting on it. 300-400 seems like the range. I'm gonna go with $350. But we'll see. Hopefully it isn't underpowered and its actually future proof, unlike the wii u.

bachikarn

The Wii came out at $250, 3DS came out at $250, and the Wii U came out at $350. Its certainly possible for it come out at $300, but I'm not betting on it. 300-400 seems like the range. I'm gonna go with $350. But we'll see. Hopefully it isn't underpowered and its actually future proof, unlike the wii u.

Yeah people always think Nintendo's next console is going to be cheap but it never is. I just hope they spend the budget on the stuff that actually matters and not on making it small and energy efficient.

Munkybhai

Nintendo could plan to counteract the arrival of the PS4K and XB1.5 by offering an initial console that is around the current level (PS4) and then add the SCD as a much cheaper way to stay within touching distance of the PS4K at a far cheaper price, considering that all they would need in it are updated GPU/CPU and RAM and they can save on other components like controllers, disk drives, etc...

Might be an attractive and cost effective way to have a powerful console for consumers, especially if the PS4K is $400-500 and meant to be used with the PSVR (another $400).

MK_768

Both of which they admit were too expensive. It could deter them. Probably not enough to take a loss on it like Sony did with the PS4 but still. I don't see Nintendo doing a $400 unless they have a $300 or $350 sku and even that's pushing it imo.

Whatever the NX is I hope they are doing their own thing instead ofr trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony for the "hardcore" , they cant win that battle.

Both of which they admit were too expensive. It could deter them. Probably not enough to take a loss on it like Sony did with the PS4 but still. I don't see Nintendo doing a $400 unless they have a $300 or $350 sku and even that's pushing it imo.

I don't see Nintendo doing $400 either, but I think its more likely than $300 for a console as powerful or more powerful than the PS4.

Not only that, but they'll likely do their usual console generation gimmick, which will drive up the price.

AzaK

Nintendo could plan to counteract the arrival of the PS4K and XB1.5 by offering an initial console that is around the current level (PS4) and then add the SCD as a much cheaper way to stay within touching distance of the PS4K at a far cheaper price, considering that all they would need in it are updated GPU/CPU and RAM and they can save on other components like controllers, disk drives, etc...

Might be an attractive and cost effective way to have a powerful console for consumers, especially if the PS4K is $400-500 and meant to be used with the PSVR (another $400).

My concern with this is that what you'll have is this situation:

The leader of the generation by a LONG shot making a much more powerful machine
The loser of the generation that almost NOONE gives a shit about any more, finally catching up.
The former will likely have backwards compatibility
The latter may or may not but who cares for the 6 good games

Who do you think people will go for? Basically for Nintendo to get the enthusiast gamer back they would need a machine of such great power and features that the PS4 looks like a calculator. There is no way Nintendo will do that. Nintendo know their place in the market - Japanese handheld gamers and Nintendo fans.

I PS4.5 wasn't coming I would have thought Nintendo might be able to sit another 4-5 years out with a comparable machine until the PS5 comes and then refresh and keep in lockstep tech-wise. Now I'm not so sure they can do it.

Xiao Hu

Facing that dilemma marketing tools have become more important than ever. Just about time to get rid of the stupid YouTube policy...

Fredrik

Whatever the NX is I hope they are doing their own thing instead ofr trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony for the "hardcore" , they cant win that battle.
They've said that many times, they don't see the point to compete in the hardware race, they'll beef up the hardware for sure but the big thing will probably be that they'll do something cool with the controller or general concept too.

Those who don't like Nintendo like to call everything they do gimmicks but when Nintendo's "gimmicks" has been Dpad, analog stick, motion controls, dual screens etc I just laugh at the whiners and keeps on being way more hyped when Nintendo enters a new generation than the others. A Playstation will never stray too far away from being a Playstation and an Xbox will always be an Xbox but you never know what Nintendo's next hardware will look like or do and that's their beauty. You just know that you'll play Mario and Zelda on it in some way and form.

omonimo

Banned
I don't understand. I'm almost sure Nintendo claimed at the beginning something like there is no way NX would been more powerful of ps4 or something of similar. What are all those rumors now?

Pokemaniac

I don't understand. I'm almost sure Nintendo claimed at the beginning something like there is no way NX would been more powerful of ps4 or something of similar. What are all those rumors now?

They said nothing of the sort.

The most concrete details we have on power are "industry leading chips" from the WSJ, and Matt saying it's not weaker than Wii U.

omonimo

Banned
They said nothing of the sort.

The most concrete details we have on power are "industry leading chips" from the WSJ, and Matt saying it's not weaker than Wii U.
I could swear indeed they did. Very early to the NX development. But I'm unable to find the link.

Neoxon

AGITΩ;199890830 said:
But 4K gaming would bring the price of the NX Console to insane levels. And it's not like the thing is gonna support Blu-Ray given Nintendo's history of using proprietary formats to keep costs down. That's not even mentioning the possibility of Nintendo going with cartridges to line up with the likely handheld component.

I could see Nintendo saying "The NX Console can stream 4K for Netflix", but that's it.

Malus

I could swear indeed they did. Very early to the NX development. But I'm unable to find the link.

That's a Liam Robertson rumor. He said NX devs told him that they weren't looking to compete with PS4.

Did you expect a Wiiu on par with 8 year old consoles?

By the time it was revealed in 2011, yeah.

Back in the project Cafe days the only rumor I remember (I didn't follow it that closely) was one that stated that Wii U would be a fraction of the Xbone's power, so I had pretty reserved expectations.

Vena

That's a Liam Robertson rumor. He said NX devs told him that they weren't looking to compete with PS4.

Of course they aren't competing! They'll be on 2nm production lines from the far future using optoelectronic pulsed circuits delivering hyper-graphics at the speed of light!

Now you're playing with power*!**

*May end universe. Greatly contributes to heat death of universe.

**Only 5.99$ by 1792 standards.

Malus

I'm might be wrong, but didn't he do some backtracking on that one after the fact?

I think some people tried to pin him down by pointing out he doesn't know if the devs were talking about the home console or handheld (I'd think they were talking inclusively about "NX" whatever it is). Other than that I don't remember if he truly backtracked.

Peterc

I don't think realistic games will be automatically called hardcore.
I believe most games even from nintendo are much diffecult than the most psx games out there.

It depends on how you play the game. For example, to collect all stars in the mario games, isn't realy that easy to do. It's also focused on pure gamplay. That is what i call hardcore.
Or mario kart 200cc.

But to give you an answer. Sony isn't the holy grail. They are strong, but it's just a matter of marketing and making deals. The only thing what would be diffecult is, this is a late gen console, people doesn't like to buy a between console gen, or it does have to be completly new.

They've said that many times, they don't see the point to compete in the hardware race, they'll beef up the hardware for sure but the big thing will probably be that they'll do something cool with the controller or general concept too.

Those who don't like Nintendo like to call everything they do gimmicks but when Nintendo's "gimmicks" has been Dpad, analog stick, motion controls, dual screens etc I just laugh at the whiners and keeps on being way more hyped when Nintendo enters a new generation than the others. A Playstation will never stray too far away from being a Playstation and an Xbox will always be an Xbox but you never know what Nintendo's next hardware will look like or do and that's their beauty. You just know that you'll play Mario and Zelda on it in some way and form.

Whether they like it or not, they have to compete with Sony and Microsoft if they want to stay in the console business. They can't replicate Wii's success anymore. They tried that with Wii U and failed miserably. Even then with the Wii, 3rd party titles were continuing to declining, and weren't selling nearly as much copies as 3rd party titles(specifically multi plats) on the 360 and PS3.

Top Bottom