• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous Second Son 1.05 patch now available.

It is, but regardless I don't think the quality should be so poor. Netflix 4K content looks great.
Can you post your settings for HDR? Just curious.

Bright lights are incredibly bright, and colours aren't muted for me.

I think games need to let people control more at both the top bottom end of their tonemapers via brightness controls.

I asked about the in-game brightness because I was seeing similar black crush when I tested this morning. Though I didn't have time to fiddle with it. Though it wasn't nearly as severe as your shots so I'm not sure what's going on there.:/

BigEmil

I'd replay this game a sixth time if it benefited 1080p. I guess it'll stay at 60fps more often but it's don't gonna Downsample a 1440p image to 1080p like Horizon and Tomb Raider are doing, right?
The down sample on those games are from 1800p wasn't it

Harp

I have the 850c which barely does HDR just like yours (you got the patch right?) Your tv is better than mine so it's gonna look great, mine looks great too, but people with real HDR tvs are gonna love it. I was worried this patched in HDR wasn't gonna be any good, but between this, Gears, and how amazing UHD blu rays have looked, I'm hyped. GIMMIE that PRO.

I also have the 850c and I think it does HDr very well. I just sent back a Samsung 65 inch ks8000 that I got a great deal on for $1500. And is is rated to have super high brightness. When comparing the UHD for the Revenant the HDr on both tv are about the same. The ks8000 is brighter, but only slightly. Overall I think your brain gets the point, bright areas in both tv are highlighted and look crisp. Overall the sony has better contrast and color reproduction. Twice this year I brought home tvs that rated brighter. The vizio p series and the ks8000 and yes both of those tvs have alot more brightness but the 850c has better overall contrast and image processing.

Long story short, I wouldn't be worried about RVs one year apart. You will probably see a big jump when the manufacturers update the processing platforms. Right now we are juat seeing annual improvements to the existing ones.

Shin-Ra

Checkerboard rendering then I assume?

Interesting about 60fps as well as these games were originally something like 40-50fps unlocked with tearing and then that patch came out that allowed 30fps lock.

60fps would be nice!
I don't think I tested the completely unpatched game but nobody ever reported inFAMOUS tearing before or after the 30fps cap was patched in.

On PS4 Pro inFAMOUS is rendering checkerboard 1800p, there's a good chance of improved framerate but solid 60fps would be a stretch.

Mengetsu

Samsung UN50JS7000
I don't have HDR on my Samsung but, I had this problem as well with crushed blacks when I first got TV. When you go to select your HDMI in your menu when you highlight it their might be an option for settings. It was worded really stupid.

It says to edit the name of your HDMI port but, it's really changing the settings. I put PC and everything changed with fixed PC setting screen and my crushed blacks were gone. This might not be the same for you as this is a 2014 HDTV model but, try it and see if it helps.

I have the 850c which barely does HDR just like yours (you got the patch right?) Your tv is better than mine so it's gonna look great, mine looks great too, but people with real HDR tvs are gonna love it. I was worried this patched in HDR wasn't gonna be any good, but between this, Gears, and how amazing UHD blu rays have looked, I'm hyped. GIMMIE that PRO.
What size is your TV? I have the 850c and is bright as hell, mine is a 65" so it has the full array backlighting.

Lady Gaia

Actually I was looking around and ine site says it's peak white is 28/ cd/m2. Is that the same as nits?

The two units are interchangeable, yes. The SI standard uses candelas per square meter but that's a mouthful, so most people who use the measure a lot prefer the non-standard but widely understood term "Nit" or nt for short.

So the figure you cite of a peak 28nt does sound really low. Like it's missing a digit. Note that for some display technologies like plasma and OLED the peak brightness for an all-white screen is significantly lower than for a smaller white area.

Can you post your settings for HDR? Just curious.

It is an IPS panel which certainly will not help as will make the picture look darker, but cannot see what its peak brightness is. Have a look through this to see if it helps.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js7000

Messing with the colour gamma settings might help make the picture brighter, perhaps a dynamic picture mode also?

Messing with the colour gamma settings might help make the picture brighter, perhaps a dynamic picture mode also?[/QUOTE]

I use PC mode to reduce input lag, so most of the TV's picture options are greyed out for me

Regardless, the ones I can modify are:

Backlight - 20/20
Contrast - 100/100
Brightness - 45/100
Sharpness - 50/100
Color - 50/10 (disabled/greyed out)

Color Tone - Standard
HDMI Black Level - Low

Pretty much everything else is unavailable unless I switch out of PC mode

I don't have HDR on my Samsung but, I had this problem as well with crushed blacks when I first got TV. When you go to select your HDMI in your menu when you highlight it their might be an option for settings. It was worded really stupid.

It says to edit the name of your HDMI port but, it's really changing the settings. I put PC and everything changed with fixed PC setting screen and my crushed blacks were gone. This might not be the same for you as this is a 2014 HDTV model but, try it and see if it helps.

Thanks :) Yeah it took me forever to find this option, I was having trouble with my TV auto dimming and it made watching TV/Movies really frustrating as it was extremely visible that the display brightness was adjusting on the fly, PC mode fixed that

JohngPR

Quick question (without ending up in the nightmare nether realm that is current TV feature set/tech nomenclature/terminology...).

Would your TV hypothetically be able to play/display HDR content even if it wasn't HDR compatible? Or will the game/bluray/clip not play at all or display incorrectly (artifacts, glitches etc)?

In other words; If I'm unsure whether or not my 2015 Samsung SUHD 4K TV (that supposedly received an HDR firmware update) supports HDR (just supports now guys, let's not open up the conversation for HDR10, HDR+, 4:4:4, 4:2:0, REC 2020, DCI P3...wait where am I?) will I be able to ascertain this simply by enabling whatever 'HDR' features my TV and console have and checking if anything is displayed or not?

Because so far I've only tested some Samsung 'HDR 4K demo' reels via USB and the files specifically state "only playable on TVs that support HDR" and they seem to play correctly, yet I'm still unsure whether or not I can play HDR content.

Virtual kiss to whoever sets me straight...

On a Samsung TV, you can tell it's in HDR mode by checking your settings and seeing if the Brightness and Contrast settings are maxed out. If they are, HDR is on.

Messing with the colour gamma settings might help make the picture brighter, perhaps a dynamic picture mode also?

I use PC mode to reduce input lag, so most of the TV's picture options are greyed out for me

Regardless, the ones I can modify are:

Backlight - 20/20
Contrast - 100/100
Brightness - 45/100
Sharpness - 50/100
Color - 50/10 (disabled/greyed out)

Color Tone - Standard
HDMI Black Level - Low

Pretty much everything else is unavailable unless I switch out of PC mode

Do you have the PS4 RGB range set to full? If not, can you try that and set the HDMI Black level to "Normal" on your TV set which I believe should be an option for you?

Also, what options are available for color tone?

Handy Fake

Xa8tWUQ.jpg

Dude. Reflection.

Do you have the PS4 RGB range set to full? If not, can you try that and set the HDMI Black level to "Normal" on your TV set which I believe should be an option for you?

Also, what options are available for color tone?

I've tried both full and limited, full seems a little better but neither look great. Currently it's set to Full.

HDMI Black Level options are Normal, Low, and Auto. I have it set to Low because that's what Auto always picks up anyway and Normal looks even more washed out/dull

Color Tone options are Cool, Standard, Warm 1, and Warm 2, it's set to Standard

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We're comparing HDR to SDR by looking at screenshots on our SDR screens again, huh? Lol.

"You can clearly see the difference."

A difference, yes, but not the difference between HDR and SDR. All those comparison screens are SDR, and the game could be made to look like either on a regular old 1080p SDR TV. The "HDR" ones are just more saturated, which isn't the point of HDR.

(I'm sure the game looks ace in actual HDR.)

oh god that opening scene where you get your powers looks downright amazing in hdr cant wait to see what it looks like on pro also

Kambing

I'm aware of the black crush issue and am running on RGB/Full + Black Level High as that's what looks best in this game too, though for this game I also tried the other combinations.

It's nearly 2am here so I'll have to look at removing the receiver from the chain tomorrow. Do you have any links from others where a receive that works otherwise fine with HDR only plays up on PS4 HDR?

Sorry no links, just from personal experience lol. I don't know the name or make of your receiver, but most don't really offer COMPLETE pass through of video. I would like to think your image issues are tied to the settings on your receiver... and the best way to check for that is to test, firstly, the ps4 straight to the OLED.

Hoping you can at least figure out what is causing this issue. Do try and check on your receiver for video passthrough settings. Ideally, if there is a passthrough option, make sure it is selected. If not, you will need to manually select the 0-255 colorspace. But even then, some receivers have really shit video processing.

Unknown?

Okay HDR makes everything so much more realistic! Going back to normal looks so freaking ugly, a cartoony mess!!

I'm in this position too right now, can't really justify throwing another £800-1000 on one either :(

Me too and it sucks even more that my tv was the teh top of the line model from 2014 that was carried over to 2015 and the ONLY tv from Sony 2015 lineup NOT to get the HDR firmware upgrade. My tv hits almost 1000 nits. smh.

Anyone want to buy an xbr65x950b?

dano1

A Sheep
Is there a way to not let your PS4 download these? I don't have a 4K TV nor do I plan on getting one any time soon so I don't really want or need ~6GB of space on my HDD being wasted.

Don't fight it. I know at this time you have no use for it but all games will have the pro version built in on all games soon . And when there's a patch for gameplay your going to get it then anyway.

Time for a bigger hard drive...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Looks amazing on my LG, just worked. Glad I took the time to reinstall to check it out. Games are still some of the best looking on the system and now it's really incredible.

Hedrush

Glad to see all the X850 guys are enjoying the benefits of the HDR patch. Even though the TV has a marvelous picture I was a bit worried the HDR patch wasn't going to cut it. So thanks for your input and setting my mind at ease. Roll on next Thursday.

The biggest problem with HDR at the moment is there's no one fits all setting as of yet. What one person is seeing could be vastly different from what the intended display is supposed to look.

The Last of Us Remastered for example has a very subtle HDR implementation that people are still debating over.

I thought it was very noticeable on the last of us

Top Bottom