• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous Second Son 1.05 patch now available.

b0bbyJ03

there are people here complaining that it doesn't work properly and have their PS4s connected to their receivers. The first thing to do is remove anything form the chain that could be causing the problem. The last of us HDR is outputting BT2020. I doubt most of the receivers out there support the format. PS4 pro launch is gonna be very interesting. lol.

Mabufu

Banned
I still don't get it, OG PS4 1.4 HDMI should be not able to output full HDR yet it does? I read people say it has space for it but I looked up in google it needs HDMI 2.0
Then how come Xbox One doesn't output HDR?

I learned a bit the hard way, but 1.4 and 2.0 are just specifications, needed to be supported by both dispositives connected, while the cable, even if "it supports HDMI x.x", act just as a transmission medium.

Info:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#144

Wabba

I found out that i deleted the game to save storage, but still have First Light, is there an update for that game also or is it just the main game.

Shin-Ra

"Half as long, twice as bright!"

I don't normally fiddle with in-game brightness settings, but for Second Son I found cranking it up helped achieve the expected incredible peak brightness. Flames, neon, spotlights, the sky, specular reflections and so on look amazing.

No setting however, fixes the black crush I'm experiencing and haven't experienced with other HDR content.

Karak

"Half as long, twice as bright!"

I don't normally fiddle with in-game brightness settings, but for Second Son I found cranking it up helped achieve the expected incredible peak brightness. Flames, neon, spotlights, the sky, specular reflections and so on look amazing.

No setting however, fixes the black crush I'm experiencing and haven't experienced with other HDR content.

Ya lots of folks forget that you have various settings in many places lol.
I am testing Second Sun on the test TV's now. Remind me which model do you have?

Robot Pants

The in-game brightness appears to increase the top end of the tonemapper, so it blooms brighter things more but then tonemaps everything back down in compensation to be too dark.
Yea the in game brightness is the essential tool in all of these post- HDR patches for me. Each time it's made the difference between washed out, too dark, or looking great.

For Deus Ex, had to turn the brightness all the way (or close to it) in order for it to look right.

The Last of Us, all the way down and it STILL looks a bit washed out. I think it's just the game.

Infamous, all the way up otherwise it was just so dark especially on Delsin.

On a Samsung TV, you can tell it's in HDR mode by checking your settings and seeing if the Brightness and Contrast settings are maxed out. If they are, HDR is on.

I believe it's the backlight setting not the brightness, otherwise you are correct.

I own a JS9000, Gears and Forza Horizon 3 look phenomenal on it. I have yet to try any of the PS4 HDR games though.

I think that game has a messed up HDR mode TBH.

Disclaimer: my only HDR experience so far has been with Left Behind yesterday, which I used to customize and calibrate the HDR mode settings that my TV switches to when receiving HDR content. Saturation, white balance etc. is now set up like on my already calibrated normal mode, maybe a bit more pop.
Also, my TV (LG UH7700) is not ideal for HDR as it is not bright enough (well, mid-range as there are only like 5 TVs with ideal peak brightness anyway lol).

That being said, Left Behind looks better in HDR mode as you would expect, although there seems to be crushed blacks unless that's intentional. I read here now that one should try limited RGB? That makes no sense to me and would also be annoying if you had to switch it back for nonHDR games.

Tip: If you want to compare HDR vs. nonHDR, take a PNG screenshot of the same scene with HDR turned on/off ingame. Then view both screenshots in the PS4 OS while HDR is on. Oh and if you turn off HDR the screenshots should now suddenly look almost identical, depending on the scene.

Meanwhile, I just tried First Light in HDR (I don't have the full game) and I don't like it. Way too dark/crushed blacks. The neon effects pop a bit more, sure. But the worst offender is the sky, looking at bright parts turns everything else super dark as if it were night time almost. That's not how real eyes would see it.

Currently I'm downloading Deus Ex, which will be my first HDR game that I actually play through so I hope I'll have everything settled before starting it.

Robot Pants

I also have the 850c and I think it does HDr very well. I just sent back a Samsung 65 inch ks8000 that I got a great deal on for $1500. And is is rated to have super high brightness. When comparing the UHD for the Revenant the HDr on both tv are about the same. The ks8000 is brighter, but only slightly. Overall I think your brain gets the point, bright areas in both tv are highlighted and look crisp. Overall the sony has better contrast and color reproduction. Twice this year I brought home tvs that rated brighter. The vizio p series and the ks8000 and yes both of those tvs have alot more brightness but the 850c has better overall contrast and image processing.

Long story short, I wouldn't be worried about RVs one year apart. You will probably see a big jump when the manufacturers update the processing platforms. Right now we are juat seeing annual improvements to the existing ones.

Wow. That's awesome to hear. I definitely am in love with my tv (our tv) but I for one: don't have anything to directly compare it to side by side as far as HDR, and two: didn't think patched in HDR would look all that hot.
This tv keeps delivering. And from what I hear it's basically an anomaly. One of those tvs that hit everything just right and still is at the top of the game in a lot of categories. It even does a lot of things better than newer Sony models, even the 850d.

What size is your TV? I have the 850c and is bright as hell, mine is a 65" so it has the full array backlighting.
Yea I have the 65 also. I guess I just assumed the newer models would be brighter and better.

Glad to see all the X850 guys are enjoying the benefits of the HDR patch. Even though the TV has a marvelous picture I was a bit worried the HDR patch wasn't going to cut it. So thanks for your input and setting my mind at ease. Roll on next Thursday.
X850 bros for life

Hell yeah, you have an 850c i cant wait, i have one too i was worried a little bit about the effect of HDR. But this is awesome to hear.
I've been worried too but after infamous I'm a believer of HDR ON this tv. As long as it's done well HDR can look amazing on this set. I'm sure future games where it's implemented from the start will be even better.

Lol. I don't understand that type of math either! I got the 1300 nits from several reviewers who had the light meter.

No banding at all. I can pan the camera and everything is uniform. No discoloration or clouding and looking at grayscale images are perfect. That's what made me jump on this. I know all the issues that edge lit tv's have as I've owned at least 4 different ones in the past before I got this one. It's FALD tech and that's the best you can do for LCD at the moment. The 940C and 128 zones for turning off the LEDs. Black is black. Now.... The Z9D? That's got 1000 dimming zones! Think about that!
That is the ONLY gripe I have with my set is the ever so slight banding in a spot towards the right. It's only noticeable on solid grey, white, or blue grey backgrounds. When you pan it looks like the screen is dirty in that area but it's nothing awful. My girlfriend doesn't even notice it only an obsessed owner like myself does.
But your 940 sounds delicious :)

The two units are interchangeable, yes. The SI standard uses candelas per square meter but that's a mouthful, so most people who use the measure a lot prefer the non-standard but widely understood term "Nit" or nt for short.

So the figure you cite of a peak 28nt does sound really low. Like it's missing a digit. Note that for some display technologies like plasma and OLED the peak brightness for an all-white screen is significantly lower than for a smaller white area.
Sorry it was 6am when I typed all that. I didn't even realize I made the mistake. It's not 28, its 282.
That's the only measurement I could find online.
Rtings has it at 282 nits for 2% and 50% for Peak Window brightness

b0bbyJ03

has anyone with an OLED been able to get this or TLOU set up properly in HDR? if so how did it look? So far I've only read one impression and the person said that their blacks were crushed.

there are people here complaining that it doesn't work properly and have their PS4s connected to their receivers. The first thing to do is remove anything form the chain that could be causing the problem. The last of us HDR is outputting BT2020. I doubt most of the receivers out there support the format. PS4 pro launch is gonna be very interesting. lol.

This is good troubleshooting advice for sure. When in doubt, break it down.

My current receiver:

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs720w

I've no issues with UHD Blu-Rays or games outside of monkeying about with the PS4's RGB range. The Xbox One S just fucking works for the most part.:/

CyberChulo

Wow. That's awesome to hear. I definitely am in love with my tv (our tv) but I for one: don't have anything to directly compare it to side by side as far as HDR, and two: didn't think patched in HDR would look all that hot.
This tv keeps delivering. And from what I hear it's basically an anomaly. One of those tvs that hit everything just right and still is at the top of the game in a lot of categories. It even does a lot of things better than newer Sony models, even the 850d.

Yea I have the 65 also. I guess I just assumed the newer models would be brighter and better.

X850 bros for life

I've been worried too but after infamous I'm a believer of HDR ON this tv. As long as it's done well HDR can look amazing on this set. I'm sure future games where it's implemented from the start will be even better.

That is the ONLY gripe I have with my set is the ever so slight banding in a spot towards the right. It's only noticeable on solid grey, white, or blue grey backgrounds. When you pan it looks like the screen is dirty in that area but it's nothing awful. My girlfriend doesn't even notice it only an obsessed owner like myself does.
But your 940 sounds delicious :)

Sorry it was 6am when I typed all that. I didn't even realize I made the mistake. It's not 28, its 282.
That's the only measurement I could find online.
Rtings has it at 282 nits for 2% and 50% for Peak Window brightness

LOL. Thanks! But I'm glad to hear that you too are enjoying HDR on the 850c. I was going to pick that up. At the time it was only $2100 or $2200 for a 75 incher. And the 940c was selling for $6000! I asked my wife what I should do because we could not tear our eyes from the demo reel that was playing. She gave me the ok and we both pooled our moneys. I was able to get it for $5500 at PC Richards from a rep that always took care of us so I'm grateful to him. The 940c TV was the first where I read every single post on the AVS forum and not one of them had issues with clouding or banding. I couldn't believe it! And now I can confirm it's true. Never had to exchange my first set.

b0bbyJ03

This is good troubleshooting advice for sure. When in doubt, break it down.

My current receiver:

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs720w

I've no issues with UHD Blu-Rays or games outside of monkeying about with the PS4's RGB range. The Xbox One S just fucking works for the most part.:/

They may be using a different standard. BT2020 is the one with the highest range. You should be able to display the information on the signals you're receiving from each device on your tv. It will usually tell you what protocols it's using i.e. 1080p, Dolby Digital, HDR, etc. See if you can find any info on the signals coming out of the Xbox.

Edit: I just double checked, Xbox is also using BT2020 so its not the signal format.

They may be using a different standard. BT2020 is the one with the highest range. You should be able to display the information on the signals you're receiving from each device on your tv. It will usually tell you what protocols it's using i.e. 1080p, Dolby Digital, HDR, etc. See if you can find any info on the signals coming out of the Xbox.
I should be clear - I'm not having any issues:) I'm agreeing with your steps for troubleshooting for those that are. Just stating its an annoyance having to change the RGB range settings on the PS4. Sony's been fucking up RGB range since the PS3 days so it's not entirely surprising but its something that I hope they correct with the PS4 Pro (i.e. fix the automatic option!). I was saying the Xbox One S works flawlessly without having to make any major settings changes. It just works!

To answer your question though - yes the set is properly displaying UHD, HDR 3840x2160p when playing the content from the Xbox, PS4, UHD player. The receiver is properly passing the video through for me.

b0bbyJ03

I should be clear - I'm not having any issues:) I'm agreeing with your steps for troubleshooting for those that are. Just stating its an annoyance having to change the RGB range settings on the PS4. Sony's been fucking up RGB range since the PS3 days so it's not entirely surprising but its something that I hope they correct with the PS4 Pro (i.e. fix the automatic option!). I was saying the Xbox One S works flawlessly without having to make any major settings changes. It just works!

To answer your question though - yes the set is properly displaying UHD, HDR 3840x2160p when playing the content from the Xbox, PS4, UHD player. The receiver is properly passing the video through for me.

oh, hahaha, sorry. Thought you were one of the people trying to figure it out.

oh, hahaha, sorry. Thought you were one of the people trying to figure it out.
Nah it's all good. There's going to be a lot of confusion about this stuff as you mentioned. It took me an hour to get Deus Ex to display properly on the PS4 once the patch came out and I got the KS8000 up and running. HDR looked really poor right out of the box (super washed out, blacks were grey, light sources weren't displaying right, etc.) but after unlocking the RBG range puzzle and properly calibrating - yeah it works. For those less technically inclined to understand this stuff - it's going to be a mess.:/

harz-marz

Nah it's all good. There's going to be a lot of confusion about this stuff as you mentioned. It took me an hour to get Deus Ex to display properly on the PS4 once the patch came out and I got the KS8000 up and running. HDR looked really poor right out of the box but after unlocking the RBG range puzzle and properly calibrating - yeah it works. For those less technically inclined to understand this stuff - it's going to be a mess.:/

So which settings did you use?

CyberChulo

I wonder if people are having these issues because the source is a PS4 and not the Pro which can output 4K? The motherboard may be better able to display the correct color scheme for HDR content.

So which settings did you use?
This is what I've calibrated my set to. It's using the "movie" mode as my settings base and game mode is activated for low latency.

My settings in HDR:
Backlight: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
HDMI UHD Color: Make sure this is set to On for the HDMI input going to your PS4.
HDMI Black Level Setting: Normal
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance: 2-point (only changes for me RGAIN -2, BGAIN 4 - this can vary per panel)
Gamma - 0
Color Space: Native

I've set the PS4 to RGB Range to full. HDR and Deep Color need to be set to automatic as well obviously in the video output menu.

That gives me what I consider to be a pleasing HDR image for games. Though you may need to play with the HDMI Black Level and see which looks right paired with the PS4. Normal /SHOULD/ match the Full RBG range from the PS4, but I've found that it can vary depending on the game which is what's frustrating. The Xbox One S doesn't requite this at all. It just does its thing.

I use the same settings for UHD BD watching minus the game mode.

You can play with dynamic contrast and see if you enjoy the "pop" it offers but I'm personally not a fan. You may, however end up liking the boosted brightness it adds to the image.

I believe it's the backlight setting not the brightness, otherwise you are correct.

I own a JS9000, Gears and Forza Horizon 3 look phenomenal on it. I have yet to try any of the PS4 HDR games though.

What settings have you gone with on the JS9000. I have it and wasn't that impressed by gears 4 in HDR at all

Advanced Pro patch is just for First Light i believe. Patch for Second Son seems to be just HDR.
Would be weird, but that's what i read earlier on Gaf somewhere.

I hope the Pro patch with higher res, etc. is for both though.

Wack as hell. I would have replayed for a proper pro patch.

harz-marz

This is what I've calibrated my set to. It's using the "movie" mode as my settings base and game mode is activated for low latency.

My settings in HDR:
Backlight: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
HDMI UHD Color: Make sure this is set to On for the HDMI input going to your PS4.
HDMI Black Level Setting: Normal
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance: 2-point (only changes for me RGAIN -2, BGAIN 4 - this can vary per panel)
Gamma - 0
Color Space: Native

I've set the PS4 to RGB Range to full. HDR and Deep Color need to be set to automatic as well obviously in the video output menu.

That gives me what I consider to be a pleasing HDR image for games. Though you may need to play with the HDMI Black Level and see which looks right paired with the PS4. Normal /SHOULD/ match the Full RBG range from the PS4, but I've found that it can vary depending on the game which is what's frustrating. The Xbox One S doesn't requite this at all. It just does its thing.

I use the same settings for UHD BD watching minus the game mode.

You can play with dynamic contrast and see if you enjoy the "pop" it offers but I'm personally not a fan. You may, however end up liking the boosted brightness it adds to the image.

Great thanks for the info, I've the same tv but just an Xbox One at the moment! Pro arriving next week :)

AndyD

aka andydumi

Yep. And receivers that can pass HDR are not cheap, nor old.

Withnail

TLOU in HDR looks way better on my set than First Light does in HDR. I was surprised when people were criticising TLOU HDR mode because it was a really noticeable and impressive change for me as soon as I turned it on. First Light just looks too contrasty from what I tried.

I've got a Bravia X90C which seems to play nicely with PS4 (as it should) and really looking forward to getting my PS4P hooked up next week.

Robot Pants

TLOU in HDR looks way better on my set than First Light does in HDR. I was surprised when people were criticising TLOU HDR mode because it was a really noticeable and impressive change for me as soon as I turned it on. First Light just looks too contrasty from what I tried.

I've got a Bravia X90C which seems to play nicely with PS4 (as it should) and really looking forward to getting my PS4P hooked up next week.
Have you tried turning the in game brightness all the way up?

For me, The Last of Us was a normally washed out game overall. Infamous, on the other hand, was just normally too dark.

Candeez

has anyone with an OLED been able to get this or TLOU set up properly in HDR? if so how did it look? So far I've only read one impression and the person said that their blacks were crushed.

Posted this in another thread but probably applies here:

I have a 65 inch LG B6 and the 55 inch Samsung KS8000.

For both TVs, PS4 RGB setting should maunally set to Full, and the Black Level on LG should be "High" and on the Samsung "Normal"

Tested these settings out with Last of Us HDR patch on PS4 and the image quality is significantly better than RGB Limited/Black Level Low on both TVs.

I also prefer Dynamic Contrast jacked up to Max on both TV Sets, but this is a personal preference.

To make sure you are not getting black crush and have the proper brightness setting:

1) make sure UHD is enabled on the HDMI port for your TV. This can be found in TV settings (read your manual), this setting was disabled by default on both the LG and the Samsung

2) make sure your TV and Console are set to use the same black level. This means TV/Console RGB and Black Level is either "Full/High" or "Limited/Low". "Full/High" is preferred for PS4, this will match intended 0-255 levels.

3) In PS4 web browser, goto http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and make sure the test image is centered on your TV.

4) in the test image you should see all black numbered boxes except 1 and 2 on most TV sets. If you do not see the black boxes, set your TV's brightness setting to Max, then lower the brightness setting until box 3 just barely appears. This will be the correct brightness setting to avoid black crush.

5) Start an HDR game or movie/video so the TV switches to HDR mode. Check the brightness setting to see if it is close or matches the brightness setting you set in step 4. Adjust as needed, but the brightness setting should be the same.

CyberChulo

Wow. Looks like both Infamous games are not HDR tuned properly. I've got another 2 hours at work before I head home to try it out. But I may have the same issues as you guys.

I hope running them on the Pro makes a difference.

Fliesen

what all of this has taught me:

Since my 4k TV should barely (not fully HDR10 compatible) manage to approximate displaying an HDR signal, i'll just not even try at all.

Ignorance is a bliss, when i'd:
* have to unplug my PSVR box from the PS4 all the time (or have it go through some HDMI switch ...)
* know that an even newer TV would display an even more impressive image

I better stick with my regular dynamic range and possibly upscaled 4k, if reviews of the PS4 pro make it a worthy christmas purchase for me ...

Unknown?

Anyone have an XBR43X800D? What are the settings you have used? I have the PS4 directly plugged in to HDMI 3 and activated to enhanced to accept 4K signals. HDR is working but I have the black level at 70. Should I use the black adjust and contrast enhancer on? What should the color temperature be, expert 1?

Marvel

could never
Dude. Reflection.

4gaazrvr

Harp

Anyone have an XBR43X800D? What are the settings you have used? I have the PS4 directly plugged in to HDMI 3 and activated to enhanced to accept 4K signals. HDR is working but I have the black level at 70. Should I use the black adjust and contrast enhancer on? What should the color temperature be, expert 1?

I have the car 850c and moving black level from anything but 50 really wash's the picture. Out, I would turn that down and then the brightness of the backlight to max.

Unknown?

I have the car 850c and moving black level from anything but 50 really wash's the picture. Out, I would turn that down and then the brightness of the backlight to max.
I just used a calibration video on YouTube for black level and putting it up to 55 made it best but who knows if that's a reliable calibration measure.

Top Bottom