• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 revealed (Starfire, Red Hood, Subzero announced as DLC)

I really hate the MK guest characters. DC has tone of great characters that deserve to be in the game, no need to grab MK fighters when we still don't have popular DC characters.

Alienous

Here's where I'm at right now.

ceWYLMF.png

That seems about right.

For the final missing 'Black Panther'-esque silhouette I'm wondering who it could be.

Bronze Tiger?:

latest

Wildcat? :

Wildcat_grant.jpg

It's probably not Black Spider.

Hmm...

Nev

Banned
I like how people are acting like NetherRealm are attempting to sell a barebones game to people when the base game has arguably more content than every other fighter out there.

It could have 50 base characters and it'd still be a horrible practice. That's not the issue.

vg260

I would rather have new, free characters than cosmetic items. Personally I do think lootboxes are very predatory and is basically gambling... but I can't lie and say I'm not benefiting from it. I haven't bought a single lootcrate in Overwatch. I don't play Overwatch these days, but I do log on every time they have an event and play a few rounds. The constant support that game gets is largely because people willingly drop money on those lootboxes. I think people would be more willing to return to a game after hearing there is a new free content update as opposed hearing that they just added a bunch of stuff you have to buy.

I understand selling cosmetics and characters straight up is the bread and butter for many (all?) fighting game franchises. I have bought characters and costumes before for fighting games. But I would think in terms of longevity and player interest, perhaps someone could succeed with a model that focuses on primarily free updates with purchaseable cosmetics as a secondary source of income.

I think Killer Instinct has the best model. It's F2P with rotating playable characters and all modes accessible, so you can try them out over time, buy as few or as many $5 characters as you want, or a bundle with extra cosmetics.

Think it's possible that the silhouettes are red herrings? Boon likes doing that shit.

Kinda agreeing with this line of thought. Obviously Manta and Raiden seem to be a lock, but the other silhouettes could be placeholders like in MKX. Then again, perhaps not. But it's Boon, so I'll question anything.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I like how people are acting like NetherRealm are attempting to sell a barebones game to people when the base game has arguably more content than every other fighter out there.
This right here. People are just nitpicking at this point.

Certinty

All I wanted was Batgirl.

Oh well, I think that's $40 saved. Will just buy the DLC I want, hopefully I can get the Powergirl and Reverse Flash skins separately for now.

Alienous

Kinda agreeing with this line of thought. Obviously Manta and Raiden seem to be a lock, but the other silhouettes could be placeholders like in MKX. Then again, perhaps not. But it's Boone, so I'll question anything.

I am having trouble believing that Boon would kill the speculation train on Black Manta and Raiden this unceremoniously. The studio seems to enjoy the teases leading up to reveals.

But maybe they're trying to sell the Ultimate Edition.

That seems about right.

For the final missing 'Black Panther'-esque silhouette I'm wondering who it could be.

Bronze Tiger?:

latest

Wildcat? :

Wildcat_grant.jpg

It's probably not Black Spider.

Hmm...

I know this doesn't go with the animals motif, but the silhouette to the right of Manta could also be Midnighter.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This might be a controversial opinion, but in a game with 80 zillion free costume pieces as a core game mechanic, I really don't feel the initial outfits actually matter very much as long as they have good choices in there somewhere.

I guess it does impact the campaign, which might be the primary focus for a lot of people, but I'm not sure if DLC characters show up in that.

That said, this is by no means a suggestion to stop complaining. Feel free to keep complaining. You should always feel happy to speak out when you don't like something.

Pojoking

Neo Member
I think to the right of Black Manta is definitely Rorscach. Look at the waist. It is rippled like a trenchcoat and the points in the head could be the sides of his hat. As for the others. I think far left is Constantine. I think to the left of Raiden is either Spawn or Azrael and I think the woman to the right of Raiden is Enchantress. Development time was probably when Suicide Squad came out which was a big hit for WB so they are likely to add more SS characters.

Nev

Banned
Selling a product is a horrible practice? You'll be boycotting this release right?

I think you've missed a few posts.

Anyways, if waiting 2 or whatever years to get the complete edition counts as boycotting then I guess so. I did that for Injustice 1 and for some reason didn't for MKX and regret it. Never again.

Yeah, supporting a game for a lot longer is a terrible practice.

Riot Games has supported League of Legends probably more than any other company ever has done for a game during 7 years.

It is a free to play game that started from absolute nothingness and didn't need to rely on terrible practices like Warner Bros does when they "support" their games for 2ish years and leave the game to die when they've sucked all of the money out of it and they want to promote the new one.

Plenty of studios support their games much better than Warner Bros and in a way that is never detrimental for the consumer. Take a look at Blizzard too. Look at KI or SFV even.

Call me crazy but if they managed to ship out game with 50 characters for $60 and added even more later over time, I'd be pretty impressed with that effort.

It's an exaggeration.

vg260

It could have 50 base characters and it'd still be a horrible practice. That's not the issue.

You don't think the realities of having to cap development of a product at some point in order to ship out a product should be taken into consideration when evaluating how a product is supported over time?

Call me crazy but if they managed to ship out game with 50 characters for $60 and added even more later over time, I'd be pretty impressed with that effort.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The big, chunky silhouette could possibly be Hellboy. His stone hand would definitely seem to fit.

They might have disguised the character's horns to prevent it from being flagrantly obvious.

I am having trouble believing that Boon would kill the speculation train on Black Manta and Raiden this unceremoniously. The studio seems to enjoy the teases leading up to reveals.

But maybe they're trying to sell the Ultimate Edition.

Who knows what kind of four dimensional chess Ed Boon is playing here?

Spy

Could some of the silhouettes be premiere skins in an attempt to throw us off? For example, Raiden is actually Static.

delSai

The big, chunky silhouette could possibly be Hellboy. His stone hand would definitely seem to fit.

They might have disguised the character's horns to prevent it from being flagrantly obvious.

I was thinking this for a moment too. Would be cool for sure.

Skilletor

Amazed at how many people actually defend this practice. If it were any other developer or game it would be blasphemy.

I don't see what's wrong with DLC characters in a fighting game. I don't see what's wrong with showing them off before launch, since they are selling a season pass. I think we should know who everybody is since they want us to drop 40 bucks on it.

People that complain about this actively want the developers to hide information just to make it more palatable for their own arbitrary time table as to when it's okay to release new shit in a fighter.

Top Bottom