• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: "We seriously considered making Resistance 4"

SFenton

IGN actually had a neat little bit on how Burning Skies probably killed Resistance, and Insomniac wasn't even near that game (when at least a few members of their team should have been).

Dremark

Banned
Capelli had way more personality than Hale. Hale just felt like your same old Gordon Freeman/ Master Chief wannabe in R1. No wonder so many people saw the appeal in that.

And then R2 came and finally made Hale talk. And then he shut up. For good.

And Capelli did a hostile takeover on the series. It was a master plan.

Capelli didn't even seem like the same character in R3 as he was in R2. Seemed like he had the same type of personality transplant Hale had between R1 and R2.

Gadirok

IGN actually had a neat little bit on how Burning Skies probably killed Resistance, and Insomniac wasn't even near that game (when at least a few members of their team should have been).

It's Nihilistic. I don't blame Insomniac for not stepping within a 1 mile radius of those guys after their work on Playstation Heroes.

TheHater

Capelli had way more personality than Hale. Hale just felt like your same old Gordon Freeman/ Master Chief wannabe in R1. No wonder so many people saw the appeal in that.

And then R2 came and finally made Hale talk. And then he shut up. For good.

And Capelli did a hostile takeover on the series. It was a master plan.
Tell me, what was that "other" guy personality in R2? I will tell you, he had none.

How does this
255px-Joseph-Capelli.jpg
turn into this
240px-Capelli.jpg

This is so much worst than Cole makeover from Infamous 1 to Infamous 2.

Dremark

Banned

R3 came out a while before Burning Skies and looked like it totally tanked. I really doubt BS did any significant damage at that point as the series was basically dead by that point.

SFenton

It's Nihilistic. I don't blame Insomniac for not stepping within a 1 mile radius of those guys after their work on Playstation Heroes.

I'd personally not trust them after Marvel Nemesis, so why Sony contracted them for anything is beyond me.

But rumor has it even Treyarch, when they heard Nihilistic was doing their franchise, kind of mentally said "aw hell naw" and got an engineer or two to tweak their engine a little for Vita (hence the massive graphical jumps in CoD between GDC unveil and release), so, you know, Insomniac couldn't have at least chipped in a *little* on story, design, or... anything?

Gadirok

Capelli didn't even seem like the same character in R3 as he was in R2. Seemed like he had the same type of personality transplant Hale had between R1 and R2.

It had been a few years. The Chimera had taken over. Its just surviving with other survivors. The guy has a family now, he can't just act like who he was.

Capelli may have acted like a complete jackass towards Hale in R2 but atleast he ends the game off in a respectful tone to Hale
when he was completely taken over by daedalus

"It's been an honor".

Man, bend made an amazing resistance game given the limitations of psp..how are we not talking about that ?? plus the lead probably had more character than both hale and capelli combined, its one of those times when a third party outsider knows better than the first party developer how to just hit all the right notes for the series

Gadirok

Man, bend made an amazing resistance game given the limitations of psp..how are we not talking about that ?? plus the lead probably had more character than both hale and capelli combined, its one of those times when a third party outsider knows better than the first party developer how to just hit all the right notes for the series

That was a surprise myself.

Bend delivered a decent Uncharted on the Vita as well
besides the shoehorned touch controls

But the gameplay itself was pretty shallow compared to the typical Resistance. It came down to just shooting the Carbine and Bullseye against bullet sponges compared to R3, where bullet sponges weren't as common (and infact a few shots killed almost everything I think).

demolitio

R3 came out a while before Burning Skies and looked like it totally tanked. I really doubt BS did any significant damage at that point as the series was basically dead by that point.

I think it was fuel to the fire pretty much, especially ruining the chances of the series at least surviving on the Vita where it could have possibly succeeded with some decent games since there's no competition there. It wouldn't be a system seller, but it would appeal to a lot of Vita owners (me included) who are looking for solid games and enjoy FPS games too which the system is lacking. I'm disappointed that Zipper got shut down after Unit 13 proved to me that they could make a decent portable SOCOM game with good controls. Hell, even just having the SOCOM: FTB games with two sticks would have been nice...lol

Not saying it would have turned out solid or bad anyway, but the Resistance series already sealed its fate for at least this generation on PS3 and Burning Skies sealed its fate on the Vita. Sure, us special people on here know why it sucked and who it was made by, but the average gamer would just equate Burning Skies with any other Resistance game that would come out in the future short of stellar reviews.

I always love a series or developer getting redemption on the next console so in one way, I'd love to see Resistance 4 on PS4, but I also know the business side of it and how the series is viewed now.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I used to love playing R2 Co-Op... was super fun. Though, having 1 idiot in the group can ruin everything.

Especially an idiot Marksman/Soldier

Marksman - NEED AMMO, *I'm still full, wait*

Soldier - the enemies are running at me, time to bail... *You're the tank asshole, take damage, we'll keep you alive and shield healthy*

I was an awesome Medic, I did 65K+ XP every round, so much healing and freezing enemies in place to protect my team

Teamwork, the main aspect flew over the no scope 360, I got my headshot/xp, fuck ya'll mentality

Also assholes running up far ahead and popping up Chimera while we haven't finished the ones near us

Gadirok

Yeah...OKAY.
Can we just get a standalone Resistance Fall of Man multiplayer for the PS4. None of that Call of Duty BS that was in R2 and R3. Hell, give us a "HD" version of the MP and I will give you my money.

If you want Resistance Fall of Man multiplayer why don't you just play Resistance Fall of Man multiplayer?

Its been reduced to just people camping and sniping while a few idiots actually try and do something, only to get shot at without accomplishing anything.

TheHater

If you want Resistance Fall of Man multiplayer why don't you just play Resistance Fall of Man multiplayer?

Its been reduced to just people camping and sniping while a few idiots actually try and do something, only to get shot at without accomplishing anything.
You answer your own question :)
I apologize if I came off as a dick. I get real passionate when it comes to Resistance. So much potential in the lore. Sad to see IG fuck it up.

bhlaab

I'd prefer they went back to something like Ratchet & Clank and Spyro. You know, light hearted and fun. It seems like that's what Insomniac has always been good at.

Actually, considering the last couple of junky Ratchet games I'm not sure what they're good at anymore :\

Gadirok

You answer your own question :)
I apologize if I came off as a dick. I get real passionate when it comes to Resistance. So much potential in the lore. Sad to see IG fuck it up.

I think nobody will ever be pleased if they just followed up with R4 at this point. With the mess of the consistency of the trilogy. The good news is you could play any of the original games on their own and it wouldn't make much of a difference if you missed out on stuff. But R3 really cut me off, and they could just sum up everything they wanted to by fixing that with some dlc release and make a real ending for the game with maybe an hour or something as that ending really left me frustrated.

Going back I remember R1 was heavy on the lore. Greyjacks; first fear that hit me this generation. Large towering Monster Chimera lunging itself towards me, when I know that the only saving grace is my rossmore.

Its too bad I'm out of lucky and my rossmore is outta ammo. Good thing we had the Carbine secondary fire.

R2 had a few tid bits of great things, like the radio broadcasts. As much as everyone hates the game for removing the weapon wheel, pushing for Auto-regen, and a few other gripes (thousands and thousands of grims along with bullet sponge titans*shivers*) it still had a few nice bits.

Okay one thing that always bothered me was the disappearance of grey jacks. Why?

this thread is now giving me feels..the good memory feels of how awesome R1 was and bad feels of how it's been downhill since than..remember the mines from 1

TheHater

I think nobody will ever be pleased if they just followed up with R4 at this point. With the mess of the consistency of the trilogy. The good news is you could play any of the original games on their own and it wouldn't make much of a difference if you missed out on stuff. But R3 really cut me off, and they could just sum up everything they wanted to by fixing that with some dlc release and make a real ending for the game with maybe an hour or something as that ending really left me frustrated.

Going back I remember R1 was heavy on the lore. Greyjacks; first fear that hit me this generation. Large towering Monster Chimera lunging itself towards me, when I know that the only saving grace is my rossmore.

Its too bad I'm out of lucky and my rossmore is outta ammo. Good thing we had the Carbine secondary fire.

R2 had a few tid bits of great things, like the radio broadcasts. As much as everyone hates the game for removing the weapon wheel, pushing for Auto-regen, and a few other gripes (thousands and thousands of grims along with bullet sponge titans*shivers*) it still had a few nice bits.

Okay one thing that always bothered me was the disappearance of grey jacks. Why?
Don't know. I don't even remember them in the comics. If you haven't already, it's pretty fucking amazing. Filling in the story between Fall of Man and R2. The Comics really help flush out Hale personality

Gadirok

Don't know. I don't even remember them in the comics. If you haven't already, it's pretty fucking amazing. Filling in the story between Fall of Man and R2. The Comics really help flush out Hale personality

No thanks.

I enjoyed the games but I never bothered to get into any of the comics or novels. I particularly despise it when games can't condense all the lore into the games themself.

Resistance is a vibrant universe, and I agree with you its wasted potential.

If I read those comics, I would probably be more angry at the way they left the series.

I think if any series needs a reboot its Resistance. Socom could just use the HD remastering treatment for 2 at this point.

Its too bad Sony probably won't see either as viable since the latest entries weren't commercially successful and were complete bombs.

Loved every minute of the trilogy including the much hated Resistance 2. When I finished Resistance 3 I was a little disappointed in that there were so many things that were never fully explained throughout the series, things from the first two games. I was satisfied that Capelli's own personal story had concluded but felt they could have done so much more with the rest of the back story leading up to the ending.

With that said though, I would not like to see another game as it will just feel like an afterthought.

Dremark

Banned
I think if any series needs a reboot its Resistance. Socom could just use the HD remastering treatment for 2 at this point.

I never really saw much of a point in rebooting series. As much as I loved R1 and enjoyed certain aspects of 2 and 3 I think it's best that Insomniac and Sony just move on at this point.

Not to say I would mind if a new developer tried thier hand at it but I think the commercial viability is largely gone and if they reboot it they are getting rid of what made the franchise interesting to begin with.

Gadirok

I never really saw much of a point in rebooting series. As much as I loved R1 and enjoyed certain aspects of 2 and 3 I think it's best that Insomniac and Sony just move on at this point.

Not to say I would mind if a new developer tried thier hand at it but I think the commercial viability is largely gone and if they reboot it they are getting rid of what made the franchise interesting to begin with.

I was never too keen on FPS. I played very few in recent years including CoD being typical fun when its mindless but those games felt souless to me, Killzone MP is great, while the SP is abit too streamlined for my tastes and felt like DO THIS, NOW DO THIS.

I felt that Resistance was really something though. It gave me the unique ability of messing around with Ratchet & Clank inspired weapons while striving for a unique setting.

It was fun. And if it never returns I am going to miss it, alot.

Its partly just wishful thinking that Resistance 4 will someday happen or a franchise reboot but you might be right if its better off that Insomniac moves away from the Resistance trilogy.

Its just... a universe that was created but left untapped. We very well never know the true origins of the Chimera and what they really were. I think it was because of the post WW1 setting that never made it very realistic to begin with since the humans were clearly at a loss against Chimeran technology but these weapons. Particularly the Magnum, Bullseye, Rossmore, and Auger will remain in my mind forever.

I just want one game that brings these weapons back.

When I think about it, maybe people would have accepted this series more if it played more like a FPS Ratchet, so it would play as a part platformer and mostly shooter. It would have stood out more atleast.

Still can't get over the ending of 3, but the transitions between each game and the changes were questionable.

Maybe its best if Insomniac or for that matter Sony, buries the IP.

Hopefully Insomniac makes a homage to the weapons and the Chimeran hybrid (oh and the steelheads and grims and greyjacks and those crawlers) in some Ratchet and Clank game on some distant planet where Ratchet finally invades the Chimeran home world.

Only way I may ever be happy. But the fact that these creatures exist out there will always leave this series alot more open ended than most of the others I played.

LuchaShaq

Banned
R3 was such a massive bummer after the truly inventive and super fun multi in R2 that never got a big enough community due to people cry babying over the campaign that was still better than the first game.

Too bad Fuse seemed like it had potential before they stripped out alot of what made it at least look unique.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I haven't played R3 yet, but I loved R1, 2,and Retribution on the PSP. I'd love to see a forth, because the alternate history mixed with sci-fi theme was really cool.

God, I was addicted to R2 multiplayer, and I'm not a fan of MP in general, but I loved it.

Forsete

Gold Member
After Fuse (sadly) bombs I hope they do a reboot of Resistance for PS4. Back to basics, it would be awesome.

A new next gen Ratchet would be fantastic as well. Think of the skyline rendered on a PS4. o_O

If a next- gen Ratchet doesn't happen, that will be a tragedy. I remember ToD feeling damn near like an interactive Pixar movie back in the day.

Dremark

Banned
I was never too keen on FPS. I played very few in recent years including CoD being typical fun when its mindless but those games felt souless to me, Killzone MP is great, while the SP is abit too streamlined for my tastes and felt like DO THIS, NOW DO THIS.

I felt that Resistance was really something though. It gave me the unique ability of messing around with Ratchet & Clank inspired weapons while striving for a unique setting.

It was fun. And if it never returns I am going to miss it, alot.

Reading your reply, I don't think our feelings on this series are really that different. The unique setting and weapons made it very interesting and I really enjoyed the games despite not feeling the second or third games holding up properly.

To kind of flesh out what I meant in my previous post I would really like to see another game in the series that holds up and gives us the answers to the questions that we had. I just don't really see anyone doing it right, not even Insomniac.

While I was disappointed with 3 as an overall product the campaign was good and even though it felt like a side story I think it gives as much closure as we can really hope for.

Maybe Sony will find someone to give the series a proper home on the PS4 and I hope they do, but financially it doesn't make much sense so I'm kind of ready to move on and view Resistance as a great game with flawed but enjoyable sequels rather than a current series.

Never played Resistance 3, so take my opinion as you may. But R1-2 showed me that the story really had nowhere to go. No preview, footage or trailer of R3 ever made me even have a fleeting thought otherwise.

NBtoaster

Never played Resistance 3, so take my opinion as you may. But R1-2 showed me that the story really had nowhere to go. No preview, footage or trailer of R3 ever made me even have a fleeting thought otherwise.

Even with both R1 and R2 having cliffhanger endings and unanswered questions you don't think the story had anywhere to go?

I loved the trilogy, I think 3 was the best... but I don't need anymore.

I also would assume they don't own the franchise.

Didn't care much for 3 but I STILL very much love this series. I even greatly enjoyed Burning Skies

There's PLENTY of places this franchise can go and lot's of not entirely resolved shit. It just needs the right people

Fall of Man was one of my favorite games last gen. This franchise NEEDS to exist! :(

The first Resistance was good, the rest was just bad. I'd be fine with no more Resistance games, especially on PS4. Sony should focus their resources on new IPs.

I think it was fuel to the fire pretty much, especially ruining the chances of the series at least surviving on the Vita where it could have possibly succeeded with some decent games since there's no competition there. It wouldn't be a system seller, but it would appeal to a lot of Vita owners (me included) who are looking for solid games and enjoy FPS games too which the system is lacking. I'm disappointed that Zipper got shut down after Unit 13 proved to me that they could make a decent portable SOCOM game with good controls. Hell, even just having the SOCOM: FTB games with two sticks would have been nice...lol

Don't even mention Unit 13.... shit still hurts man T___T

Game was sooo fucking good

Also, Insomniac please patch squad commands into FUSE so I can play it by myself, K thx bye

Top Bottom