• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: "We seriously considered making Resistance 4"

Splint

R:FOM aka R1 was the best ps3 game for hardcore mp gamers. The other two were focused on casuals. Anyone who didnt like R:FOM, let me guess, you arent a big FPS or MP guy, unlike the majority of western gamers..aka you are a minority.

Tagg9

Honestly I was never a fan of the Resistance franchise. I'm not convinced that Fuse will be better, but I definitely think they should move on from it.

Gestault

Who knew: A series with middling sales with an appealing first title, a very poorly received sequel, and a mixed-reception third iteration maybe isn't the best candidate for a fourth game. The fact that sales dropped off precipitously beginning from the first game, also not incredibly encouraging.

Mileena

Banned
Who knew: A series with middling sales with an appealing first title, a very poorly received sequel, and a mixed-reception third iteration maybe isn't the best candidate for a fourth game. The fact that sales dropped off precipitously beginning from the first game, also not incredibly encouraging.

Sales for the first game were likely only decent because it was a launch title on a console that truly had no games for a loooooong time. I don't think this would have gotten a sequel or much attention at all if it had been a multiplatform release.

I didn't know that the Resistance series wasn't viewed that favorably here on GAF. Honestly, I played and beat the first game in co-op mode (and tried some of R2), and in some respects, it was one of the duller FPSs that I've played. (I cannot make any comments about the multiplayer, as I barely tried it.)

The shooting lacked any punch, the setting wasn't particularly noteworthy or interesting, and there wasn't really anything that stood out as exemplary to me. There was just a pervasive dullness to it. I mean, it wasn't bad...it just wasn't very above average. Which made me sad, since Insomniac is (or was?) one of my favorite developers. It depresses me when a talented developer loses sight of what made them stand out.

NBtoaster

I honestly think some people are just bandwaggoning when they say R3 is bad. I rarely see reasons accompanying "it sucked" or whatever.

pelican

I enjoyed Resistance as a whole, but R2 was pretty disappointing. It wasn't a poor game, but I did expect better. For me the problem was throwing everything except the kitchen sink at it. It became the jack of all trades, but the master of none.

Resistance 3 on the other hand was pretty good. The question must be whether or not the Resistance franchise has ran its course.

SkylineRKR

Sales for the first game were likely only decent because it was a launch title on a console that truly had no games for a loooooong time. I don't think this would have gotten a sequel or much attention at all if it had been a multiplatform release.

Yep, it was an exclusive multiplayer FPS at launch at a time before CoD got its big break. One of the few games that reviewed well also. It was bound to sell well.

They should've kept the weapon wheel but expand the game into a seamless world like Halo. For some reason they didn't build upon the first game at all.

Dremark

Banned
I honestly think some people are just bandwaggoning when they say R3 is bad. I rarely see reasons accompanying "it sucked" or whatever.

I wouldn't say it sucked but the competitve multiplayer was trash. It was a COD clone with poor balance. Additionally the game should have kept the co-op from R2 and expanded on it.

Literally the only thing it had going for it was the campaign which admittedly was pretty good but was also buggy and unpolished. Overall it felt rushed and like they just wanted to get it out the door so they would fulfil their obligation to Sony.

Jac_Solar

Resistance games are at least more entertaining and fun than the likes of Halo, Call of Duty nowadays. I don't play multiplayer.

Sorral

This may sound harsh, but I will ALWAYS hate Insomniac for the way they ended Resistance 3.

I followed the story pretty damn closely. Played all the games (except Burning Skies), read everything and was all into the lore of the series. Enjoyed all the games even the mostly hated Resistance 2 and I still think it has one hell of an awesome ending.

I won't post spoilers here, but fucking hell Insomniac. How the hell do you end the series like this? It threw all the good that Resistance 3 off a cliff for me. I wish I was being hyperbolic, but after being invested in the storyline and how fan of it I was, felt so damn burned.

/rant off.

The series got eorse as it went on so it's probably a good thing 4 wasn't made.

R1 was a great launch title with great multiplayer and single.
R2 single player was a let down but the co-op was a right blast.
R3 was dull. I don't think I even bothered playing the multi.

OzPinoy

Banned
After what I've seen of Fuse from previous trailer. I rather not get them touching the franchise. Their quality control doesn't seem to be there. Maybe some people left since the detachment movement from Sony.

Insomniac doesn't seem to have that prestige pedigree anymore. Of course this is my conjecture outlook of them atm.

I wouldn't say it sucked but the competitve multiplayer was trash. It was a COD clone with poor balance. Additionally the game should have kept the co-op from R2 and expanded on it.

Literally the only thing it had going for it was the campaign which admittedly was pretty good but was also buggy and unpolished. Overall it felt rushed and like they just wanted to get it out the door so they would fulfil their obligation to Sony.

What obligation? They're not owned by Sony. If they didn't want to make Resistance they didn't have to. And when you look at how different all three titles are, clearly Sony gave Insomniac all the freedom they wanted to shape the series as they pleased.

It's the same way with Fuse. People keep saying how Fuse has been EA'd. If that was the case, why would Insomniac even bother to own the IP.

Radec

I hope there would be 4 on the PS4.

They can use 3's formula like health, weapon wheel, difficulty, and ambience. It was so good.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
It also depends somewhat on FUSE, I think. If FUSE bombs (and it's looking like a Nuclear bomba at this point), they might need the comfort of sure shot decent sales. They might make Resistance 4 or another Ratchet and clank then.

Sheroking

Resistance games are at least more entertaining and fun than the likes of Halo, Call of Duty nowadays. I don't play multiplayer.

Halo is a co-op experience and Call of Duty is a small map MP experience.

Both trump Resistance heartily in what they're trying to accomplish. Actually, I would argue Halo, Halo 3 and Halo 4 are superior to either Resistance or Resistance 2 as a SP campaign.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
considering Fuse will probably bust, they probably should.

but i guess it sort of gives Killzone its exclusive time to shine. I'm not really sure about which series is better, I only played the first of both series.

Skidd

Resistance 3 was a very polished product, the art in the game was superb. Probably the best of the trilogy.

Fall of Man was and still is a great game. I just recently played through it and it's still fun as hell thanks to the super responsive controls. If you bother to do some reasearch, you may find the lore to be very interesting. I think FoM did some great world-building with all the intel you collect throughout the game. The fact that Insomniac put in secret morse codes still blows my mind. The lore and setting are probably the main reasons why I liked these games so much. That's why I was a bit dissappointed in 2 and 3 when some of the questions were still left unanswered.

I wish they had. 1 & 2 were fine but very much products of their moment, no real something special to them that kept me coming back. Bar the ending though, 3 is a fantastic game, as far as the campaign goes anyway. The Fuse demo has does absolutely nada for me though, so I'd have taken an R4 that actually tied up all the weird plot threads they left hanging into something compelling.

Dremark

Banned
What obligation? They're not owned by Sony. If they didn't want to make Resistance they didn't have to. And when you look at how different all three titles are, clearly Sony gave Insomniac all the freedom they wanted to shape the series as they pleased.

It's the same way with Fuse. People keep saying how Fuse has been EA'd. If that was the case, why would Insomniac even bother to own the IP.

I'm assuming that Sony had a contract with Insomniac either to make Resistance 3 or a certain number of games as a multi game agreement. I seriously doubt they had nothing legally binding them to ship the game but I suppose it's technically possible.

Regardless of the reason it felt like it was a rush job by the time the end of the dev cycle came around and they put the game out without completing proper QA and bug fixing.

This may sound harsh, but I will ALWAYS hate Insomniac for the way they ended Resistance 3.

I followed the story pretty damn closely. Played all the games (except Burning Skies), read everything and was all into the lore of the series. Enjoyed all the games even the mostly hated Resistance 2 and I still think it has one hell of an awesome ending.

I won't post spoilers here, but fucking hell Insomniac. How the hell do you end the series like this? It threw all the good that Resistance 3 off a cliff for me. I wish I was being hyperbolic, but after being invested in the storyline and how fan of it I was, felt so damn burned.

/rant off.

inclined to agree

Also, someone around the office was clearly reading a lot of Walking Dead comics at the time :(

Jac_Solar

Halo is a co-op experience and Call of Duty is a small map MP experience.

Both trump Resistance heartily in what they're trying to accomplish. Actually, I would argue Halo, Halo 3 and Halo 4 are superior to either Resistance or Resistance 2 as a SP campaign.

I really enjoyed Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 and 2, and Halo 3 (Which I played recently.). I meant more along the lines of Halo 4, Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops, etc. As I said, I don't play multiplayer, so I'm not trying to compare those experiences. I have of course tried some of the multiplayer in these games, but it's generally something I don't play or enjoy, so I don't comment on it.

Resistance really doesn't need to exist when Sony has a superior sci fi FPS with WW2 undertones in Killzone.

Was pretty obvious with the way things where going to go with R2 and they probably should have done a better job closing the book with 3 but I guess they didnt want to completely finish things off just in case.

It being sent to die by Sony is partly to blame for this. The game was the best of the trilogy, but it just wasn't given a chance.

Compared to alot of Sony published games Resistance 3 was "given a chance".

I saw plenty of TV ads for it. It had a demo. They put billboards for it in a 200 million+ grossing movie. It was a big end of year release for Sony and it got pushed pretty hard. Not Uncharted 3 levels but it got pushed pretty well.

People just didnt give a shit ether because Resistance 2 turned them off so much or because there was bigger / better games out that holiday and up until that point R3 kind of looked like hot garbage. Remember that e3 demo? Yeesh.

lynux3

I'll take another Resistance ANY day... so long as they implement Resistance: Fall of Man's multiplayer mechanics. R:FoM's multiplayer is by the far the most enjoyable multiplayer experience I had beside Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfares.

I'm happy with them finishing the series but if it is resurrected they should reboot it as a 4 player co-op TPS, campaign set it in Russia, MP like Warhawk with tanks, jeeps, walkers, VTOLs.

They have the TPS experience with Fuse so it shouldn't be that big a transition. Get ex Warhawk/Starhawk people to help out on the MP. Sony is sorely lacking its own 4 player co-op campaign experience and a Warhawk type MP set in the Resistance universe with nimble walkers and the unique weaponry would be pretty cool.

Dizzy

Banned
Everyone hates 2? I thought R1 was really boring, just couldn't force myself through it. I liked 2 a lot more.

/rant off.

tumblr_m9utxrxDHH1r22jmco1_500.png

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
would be good if MS locked these guys down to make an exclusive platformer for them

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I hope Sony doesn't let Resistance near the PS4. Leave it behind in the past where it belongs.

RFoM was a great launch title and set a foundation for something great. Unfortunately, R2 just tore it up and make something completely devoid of an identity and it killed the franchise. The single player and multiplayer were very disappointing with the co-op being any way decent. Resistance 3 was good single player wise, had a good atmosphere and good mechanics. The sounds were bad though, especially the carbine and Bullseye. Didn't try the multiplayer but I hated the Beta, it had too much shit in it.

It's a shame.

sono

Would love to hear about a spin off on PS4..

Resistance 1 (Fall of Man) is a really excellent game, weapons, story, game-play, art direction, online..

I personally did not enjoy 2 or 3 as much.

for me: 1> 2 >3

Top Bottom