• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: "We seriously considered making Resistance 4"

Foxix Von

Damn, the venom in this thread.

I thought 1 was okay, haven't played my copy of 3 yet.

I should clarify. I'm really not attempting to be venomous here. I just don't think the Resistance games are that great. They're a far cry from being bad, mind you, but much like R1 they never really got any better than okay.

Which is weird because I think they're an immensely talented studio. A Crack In Time is literally one of my favorite games of this generation. I just think that Resistance as a franchise is kind of bland feeling and relatively not as creative as their other efforts have been. I don't want them to make another Resistance, not because I don't want another Insomniac game, but rather because I just don't want or feel a need for another Resistance. There have been four of these in the span of a single generation and I'm more than ready to move on to a different setting with different themes with different colors.

It's just not a good fit for that studio and where their strengths lie IMO.

Raoh

Even if 1 and 3 were great, and 2 was decent, the franchise was grossly mishandled. You can't just keep making drastic changes with every entry and expect to retain your userbase.

Hopefully they learned their lesson.

This...

Let it go. Sony and Insomniac both need to move on for the best. That franchise is a fumbled mess.

The first game literally seemed like it came from a 2005 board meeting where the executives were looking at the hottest FPS games on the market and told Insomniac to just make a "WWII shooter with sci-fi stuff in it" for Ps3 launch

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Giving the series a break is probably a smart move, at least for the time being. I imagine they were still profitable, but God of War: Ascension and Gears of War: Judgement seemed like perfect example of wearing out fans on a series too much in one generation.

Afrikan

Please make a Resistance 4..... I've heard good things about R3, and its on the backlog that I will finish before the PS4 releases.

anyone want to give me advice...play it in 3D or not? Most likely in 3D because I have the Sony HMZ. I'm thinking HMZ and Move for the campaign. No sharpshooter though, shit was hard for me to hold for more than 10 minutes.

Gadirok

I know what was going to happen in Resistance 4.

I know I said I was going to stay away from gaf until E3 but I had to post just for this.

Spill the beans, because the way you guys cut off me abruptly at the end of Resistance 3 left me wanting more and super sad when Ted Price announced to the public you guys were going to stop Resistance.

At least an idea.
Closing the wormhole probably stopped them from reinforcements

Was it finally time for humanity to rise?

8byte

Banned
Unfortunate, as R3 was one if the best console shooters this generation. Also unfortunate so few were willing to give it a shot.

Strike

It's best left alone. R2 pretty much ruined all the potential the franchise could've had. R3 was mostly about undoing all the damage 2 did. I think it ended on a good note.

Gadirok

Unfortunate, as R3 was one if the best console shooters this generation. Also unfortunate so few were willing to give it a shot.

I was just vouching for others to try it since its on a bargain sale where I live.
I dipped in at $20 and its my favorite game in the series.

Then again, I'm a fan of the series and was disappointed that Insomniac decided to cut it loose. Just when they started to get things together after 2.

I never played the demo for R3 but went in for the full game. Its definitely a solid game, its much shorter than the dreadfully long Resistance:Fall of Man, and you definitely get a feel of the post-chimeran invasion/post-apocalyptic America.

It becomes a last ditch effort to save your family basically. Universe seems very bleak and hopeless, with the few instances you help humans along your journey to your final destination: The Chimeran Tower at New York, to close the worm hole.

The story was pretty good overall, its much better than the other 2 games laid out but my main gripes with it was that it never went into the lore of the Chimera. Its basically a survival story and the Chimera become the weirdest hostile aliens you will ever run into. Theres clashes inbetween Feral and Regular Chimera and you will fight both along the way.

The ending (without spoiling anything) leaves a lot to be desired. And the way Insomniac left the series will leave you going "what the fuck? That was it? Really?" because you get so far of a great game to have a ending almost as abrupt as Mass Effect 3, and pisses off alot of people since they try to cover all the plotholes in one stone but it doesn't work because as I said it leaves you wanting more.

That being said, I believe the game has amazing replay value and if you are a typical fan of FPS that try something different with weapons and the environment then you will enjoy this game. Especially if you enjoyed Half-Life.

If you are looking for Modern Warfare or Battlefield esque campaigns, this isin't the game for you.

Gameplay focuses on using creative different weapons. Striving for new ways to kill, and Insomniac wants you to try these weapons instead of the typical semiautomatic rifle or Ak47 most FPSs hand you.

My personal favorite weapon was the Magnum and following up with its secondary fire. You can watch enemies splatter to bits.

So yeah, to sum up its a game definitely worth $10 for the Singleplayer experience alone. I never played the MP but the SP was well worth the $20 I put invested.
I only became a fan after I picked up a PS3 in late 2011 and ran through the dualpack for the first 2 games. 1 was good fun especially on co-op and 2 wasn't very memorable besides the giant Chimera and the grims...everywhere.

At the very least I hope for a reboot or a completely unrelated spinoff to the Chimeran invasion in a completely unrelated territory to anything with Hale or SRPA. It would be fun. Only Insomniac could do the series the justice it deserves.

I still am haunted by Ted Price's words from when you guys said you were done with the series:
“However, it doesn’t mean the Resistance franchise isn’t continuing. It’s already in the capable hands of Nihilistic and with Sony’s shepherding it will continue to live on and expand”.

TEH-CJ

Banned

After going back to it. I have to agree its pretty good. I have to admit though, at first I was dissapointed because of the lack of large scale battles that made the first two resistance games so appealing to me.

They took a more intimate approach in resistance 3 and was pretty jarring at first, but I got used to it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Give me Resistance Fall of Man HD Remix + Reboot with Platinum Trophy first

Same goes for Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty, then we'll talk about R4

The install data on my PS3 got corrupted, and I had to enter safe mode to restore the file system.

Been meaning to give R3 another shot, but that experience kind of soured me.

Honestly, in hindsight, it wasn't even worth it. I was glad to be done with it by the time it was over. :p

Gadirok

oh give it a rest! Work on something exciting instead of bloody shooters all the time.

Tell that to 343i

Give me Resistance Fall of Man HD Remix + Reboot with Platinum Trophy first

Same goes for Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty, then we'll talk about R4

Rereleases for trophies? Really? Doesn't seem worth it.

Next people will be skipping PSone and PSP games for no trophy support :(

gdt

R1 was very meh to me.....never played R2.....but R3 was great. So whatevs.

Want more Ratchet though!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Rereleases for trophies? Really? Doesn't seem worth it.

Next people will be skipping PSone and PSP games for no trophy support :(

Some already do this

Also yes, I rather have have all titles accounted for in my Trophy List

Look so fucking stupid to have Parts 2, 3 and a spin-off, no 1 to show for it
(Yes I'm very anal about my trophy support/gathering)

after the disastrous story and ending of R3, i truly lost all hope in Insomniac...don't get me wrong, i liked the gameplay and look(would have liked a longer game though) but the story was fuckin terrible..actually their was no story to begin with, so many questions left unanswered, the whole thing about resistance was the interesting setting and they completely missed that point in R3..i was excited when they talked how it was going back to the original R1 but insomniac took us all on a merry ride, never again..

it was hard getting over the series and developer..and thank god i did

edit: Oh yea i should point out, it's ironic they used the word "franchise building" because i don't think they know how to do it..like some people pointed out, it's hard to find design synchrony through the whole resistance series..every time, they try something different and new for the game depending on what's considered hot or what the fans are asking for..It literally felt like they had no sense of direction for the franchise..and then the focus groups

It's a pity, the series had so much potential

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I know what was going to happen in Resistance 4.
I'd still like to see a different timeline following on the end of R1 (you know, an alternate alternate history...) where Hale and Parker continue to work together trailing the Chimera across Europe to Russia working to discover their origins. R1 still has one of the most memorable story endings in my decades of game playing, it was a shame to see R2 take such a complete right turn away from that.

One of these days I'll get around to R3.

TheHater

Resistance Fall of Man was the best one.
Resistance 2 co-op was the best co-op I ever played.
Resistance 3 just plain sucked. Worst game by far.
Resistance 2 last segment was so badass
Hale gaining those badass powers
. Didn't understand why they didn't build on that.

TentPole

Resistance 3 had my favorite FPS campaign of the last couple of years only recently being supplanted by Metro: Last Light.

I would love another.

Edit: The Resistance 3 hate blows my mind.

As great as R3 was, it really should be the end. It salvaged the series admirably but the damage had already been done. There's just not really any place for Resistance anymore.

Ted Price in recent interviews has changed his wording on the Resistance series.

“The future of Resistance is unclear – I’ve said we wouldn’t go back to making Resistance since we don’t own the IP, he said, “but I’ve also learned to say never say never.

“We probably won’t go back to it, however I’ll never rule out the possibility (changing my tune from when I said “we’re not doing another Resistance” in a video). I’ve learned that with some things it’s good to leave doors slightly open.”

I personally love all their franchises but Resistance has become my favorite so I'll gladly take R4 after Fuse.

I'd still like to see a different timeline following on the end of R1 (you know, an alternate alternate history...) where Hale and Parker continue to work together trailing the Chimera across Europe to Russia working to discover their origins. R1 still has one of the most memorable story endings in my decades of game playing, it was a shame to see R2 take such a complete right turn away from that.

One of these days I'll get around to R3.

don't do that to yourself man, R3 lacks all those great story related things from R1..minus solid gameplay(r1's still better though)

Did R3 make profits for Insomniac/Sony?

Did they even advertise it?

I wonder if fans soured on R2 and just dropped the franchise altogether. But I think the time period of R3's release was busy, no?

With the way sales were going, would an R4 have been any better?

A PS4 version would be best anyway, but I do have to agree that Resistance was too wish-washy with its direction. Even R3's multiplayer was such a drastic change, I wonder if that stunted sales as well.

Gadirok

Did R3 make profits for Insomniac/Sony?

Did they even advertise it?

I wonder if fans soured on R2 and just dropped the franchise altogether. But I think the time period of R3's release was busy, no?

With the way sales were going, would an R4 have been any better?

A PS4 version would be best anyway, but I do have to agree that Resistance was too wish-washy with its direction. Even R3's multiplayer was such a drastic change, I wonder if that stunted sales as well.

It definitely gave the online for R3 a premature death. Or maybe that was the online pass...

You know what scares me? People still play R1 and R2 online and its quite active.

R1 has essentially become sniper haven. And my brother still plays R2 co-op online and although I never thought it was that good, he enjoys it enough to play it every once in a while. Usually gets enough people even though the game glitches with next briefings.

Liamario

Banned
Resistance 3 is a great game. I have no time for the first two. R3 is a great starting point to continue the series. Didn't it sell like ass though?

Card Boy

Banned
First two games where garbage and from what i played of the R3 beta it was the same soulless generic crap i've seen before. Don't make Resistance 4, please just give it a rest already.

sony is letting the franchise "cool off" from the franchise fatigue and waiting till the right moment to have a PS4 entry.

the way Insomniac dance around the question of future entries in the series pretty much guarantees it. it's likely both parties discussed it and came to the same conclusion.

Gadirok

you play as Hale and not that "other" guy who I hate so much.

Capelli had way more personality than Hale. Hale just felt like your same old Gordon Freeman/ Master Chief wannabe in R1. No wonder so many people saw the appeal in that.

And then R2 came and finally made Hale talk. And then he shut up. For good.

And Capelli did a hostile takeover on the series. It was a master plan.

TheHater

First two games where garbage and from what i played of the R3 beta it was the same soulless genetic crap i've seen before. Don't make Resistance 4, please just give it a rest already.
I disagree with the first part of your comment. As for them not to make R4, I completely agree. They fucked Ratchet and Clank up with the last 2 games. Fuse look as generic as the come.
These guys need to get back to their roots and take less input from focus testing groups.

Gadirok

It probably would of sold more than fuse is going to or at least I think it would of

I think R1 and R2 were commercially successful.

R3 though, tanked commercially faster than the jumbo jet that crashed in the desert that the other more successful Nathan strapped onto.

You hear that Insomniac? More crashing planes please.

Top Bottom