• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the Badlands - Post-apocalyptic kung-fu meets steampunk western - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

From the creators of 'Smallville', and starring American born Hong Kong actor Daniel Wu in his first US televison role, comes 'Into the Badlands', an epic martial arts series premiering on Sunday, November 15 at 10/9c. The critical response to the first couple episodes has been tepid in the early going, but even the staunchest critics admit that the action scenes kick ass - it's no surprise with Huan-Chiu Ku and Stephen Fung working as the Martial Arts Coordinator and Fight Director, respectively - and isn't that really what we're all here for?

'Into the Badlands' is a genre-bending martial arts series very loosely based on the classic Chinese tale Journey to the West. In a land controlled by feudal barons, Into the Badlands tells the story of a great warrior and a young boy who embark on a journey across a dangerous land to find enlightenment.

The first season will consist of 6 one-hour long episodes.

Cast

• Sunny is Regent (Head Clipper) to the Badlands’ most powerful Baron, Quinn. He is the ideal right-hand man: a prodigiously skilled, merciless killer with a keen strategic mind, unflappable temperament and deep sense of loyalty.
  • Saved from mercenary Nomads by Sunny, M.K. is taken to Quinn’s walled compound, The Fort. A seemingly average teenage boy, M.K. is anything but. Lurking inside him is a dark energy that The Widow wants to harness into a weapon.
  • The Widow is the Badlands’ newest Baron. It is rumored, correctly, that she murdered her husband but few know the story behind her act. A brilliant martial artist, she has adopted a blue-winged butterfly as her Baronial symbol, representing a transformation from insignificance to beauty and power.
  • Sixteen-year-old Tilda is profoundly grateful to her Baron, The Widow, after she saved her from abuse. Under the guidance of The Widow, Tilda has flourished into a confident, self-reliant teenage assassin.

• Ruthless, enigmatic, shrewd and charming, Quinn is the Badlands’ preeminent Baron. A former Clipper, Quinn secured his position the old-fashioned way: he killed for it, murdering the very Baron who trained him.
  • Lydia is Quinn’s first wife and is both his fiercest critic and most devoted follower. Without her astute counsel, he wouldn’t have ascended so far.
  • Jade grew up as a Cog in Quinn’s house. Now in her early 20s, she is a beautiful young woman whose beguiling demeanor hides a core of ambition and tenacity. She is about to become Quinn’s wife, and aims to eclipse Lydia in her husband’s affections.
  • Ryder is Quinn’s only son and presumed heir. Impulsive and arrogant, Ryder might have become a different person had he not been kidnapped as a child...

Videos and Links

Promo Photos

9dAU8Ma.jpg

dGwZfRa.jpg

Reviews

Deadline said:
Masterfully choreographed by EP and fight director Stephen Fung and superbly executed by the charismatic American-born Hong Kong star Wu, the fight scenes in Into the Badlands are gravity defying and mind blowing in a pretty good yarn of a narrative. As a huge martial arts devotee, the series has some of the best and most versatile moves you will ever see on either the small or big screen.

AV Club said:
Into The Badlands’ fight scenes are stellar. Fight director Stephen Fung brings the series its only spark of life with devilish, elaborate sequences of blood and mayhem.

Slant said:
The fights are marked by swift, breathless moments of hand-to-hand (or sword-to-sword) combat, and when the series leans on the sheer spectacle of such physically stunning actions, there's a potent exuberance in the lethal bits of violence.

Well see how the turns out. I'm interested after reading this thread. However, the commercials made it look like a B list Kung fu/sci fi film. So that doesn't bode well for it.

Cool fight scenes won't save a show from bad writing.

D i Z

Well see how the turns out. I'm interested after reading this thread. However, the commercials made it look like a B list Kung fu/sci fi film. So that doesn't bode well for it.

That was the impression that I was left with as well. That, and the cuts to close up leave a feel that not all of the cast are all that proficient in martial arts. This might not be the case at all (though it's very likely that it is) and they're managing to avoid the first pitfall of ho hum martial arts shows. I would have liked to see a more... diverse cast as well. I guess we'll see.

I'll pray to the Gods of Kung Fu that this lives up to "Post-apocalyptic kung-fu meets steampunk western", because that sounds so amazing *o*

Cool fight scenes will save anything from anything, as far as I'm concerned. I'll definitely give this a go, though I'm hopelessly snobbish about fight scenes so it takes a lot to impress me :p

Trailers make it look a bit shaky-cam, but I don't mind some shake as long as it's still edited well. There's a world of difference between The Raid shaky and Taken shaky.

uh yeah they will absolutely. superheroes existing save shows from bad writing, zombies saved a show from bad writing etc. etc.

i'm definitely watching this because it came out of nowhere for me. looks cool as hell.

Seemed to work well enough for Daredevil!

Touche. However, you can't compare this IP to established franchises from Marvel and DC. As much as I agree with what you're saying, you know you can't. Shows like Arrow and Flash (Considerably worse than Daredevil) also only survive due to their lineage.

I hope I'm wrong, the trailers just really left me kind of soured.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'll give it an episode. Given who is behind it, my expectations are pretty low.

DiscoJer

Daniel Wu was really good in One Nite in Mongkok.

And I don't get what is wrong with a "b list kung fu/sci-fi" movie. I'd much rather watch one of those than the typical soulless CGI slathered blockbuster from Hollywood.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
However, you can't compare this IP to established franchises from Marvel and DC. As much as I agree with what you're saying, you know you can't. Shows like Arrow and Flash (Considerably worse than Daredevil) also only survive due to their lineage.

That's fair.

Volimar

Guns have been banned. This is a show about outlaws. What outlaw gives a shit if something is illegal? The only way the premise makes sense is that this is so far in the future that no one even remembers guns...

It caught my interest when I saw the Comic Con trailer, so I'll check it out.

I have a feeling it's gonna take itself a little too seriously, though. A little levity goes a long way sometimes.

In! I'll miss the premiere live though. I'll post my opinions when I finally get to watch it, probably a week later

Awesome op

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Could be interesting. Will watch a few episodes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
wat
this show is kungfu post apocalypse? lol that definitely sounds interesting

"Guns were outlawed."

That's where I threw the story into the trashheap and pray the fight scenes are 90% of an episode to where I can watch it just for the fights and not the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom