• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Godot Engine.

I think his video is useless, he basically shows nothing says nothing of importance and just keeps hyping it saying it's open and free. Like , talk about why it's the game engine is good, it's not good because it's free or open. What's the art workflows like? How does everything tie together? Can you easily prototype stuff? Scripting? Visual-Node stuff? Shader Stuff? Particle systems, animation systems, camera? sequence making? Navmesh generation? Dynamic/Baked Lighting?

The engine itself might be good, maybe? The video however, is really bad.

One main thing; It only appeals to indie-developers. ONLY.

Almost every game-student out there today, every aspiring artist/designer/level-designer etc are using the main game engines to learn about game-development, why? Because it sets them up for the future, at companies actually using these game engines. The Gadot engine will always be an unknown engine unless it actually does BETTER at something than the current stuff. Look at how Blender is currently rocking the 3D Art scene with it's super modern viewport, volumetric lighting and procedural materials etc, it's frickin awesome.

Is this named after Gal Gadot?đź‘€

If it was it would be the best looking engine to date.
Gal%2BGadot%2Bal%2Bdesnudo%2B%25281%2529.gif

telechy

Neo Member
Hey guys, I've been studying the GODOT engine for a while and while it's a bit quirky as far as keeping track of the scene structure, being heavily animation based and GD scripting, once you get the hang of the engine, it has wonderful potential.

I was an O&G engineer for 15 years, but during the downturn, I got into game development since gaming's my real passion. I didn't know the app business was so over saturated with passionless creations that it'll take a million years before anyone notices your app without big marketing, lol. So back to engineering :messenger_grinning_squinting:. But checkout what you can accomplish with GODOT in a couple weeks of work once you get the hang of the engine. Nice particle effects and art asset usage, good use of sound sampling/streaming and animation management in my last app Zonot's challenge.

Give Godot a try as your main engine or experiment with it if you like what you see/play in Zonot. Goodluck everyone...

z3.png
z9.png
z5.png

Top Bottom