• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Io9: Everyone hates Willie Wonka's Grandpa Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Io9: Everyone hates Willie Wonka's Grandpa Joe

rjhjijuwsc3zzypskdog.jpg

There is a storm waging on the internet, and at the center of that storm is one Grandpa Joe. A select number of people on the internet are trying to get us all to Say No To Grandpa Joe. Just hear them out.

The whole thing started on the blog Say No To Grandpa Joe. Their mission: "expose the dark underbelly of the story. To reveal once and for all the truth about the only real villain in the movie (and no, it is not Slugworth). It is Grandpa Joe."

And the facts line up. Grandpa Joe squirrels away money from his impoverished family for tobacco, spends his days in bed (but can walk for many hours upon hours) and more.

The blog turned into a facebook page "I Hate Grandpa Joe From Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory." These vocal folks believe that Grandpa Joe is a monster, and that the record should reflect this upon the next iteration of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I've been saying this for years. It's a weird movie. It's the first slasher movie and this dude "Grandpa Joe" should be ashamed of himself.

acrid

Banned
And the facts line up. Grandpa Joe squirrels away money from his impoverished family for tobacco, spends his days in bed (but can walk for many hours upon hours) and more.

Well now, hang on a minute. He does offer to give up the tobacco so the family has more food. Charlie's mother (Joe's daughter) tells him not to.

Fathead

Well now, hang on a minute. He does offer to give up the tobacco so the family has more food. Charlie's mother (Joe's daughter) tells him not to.

He probably abused her and shes terrified to stop buying him tobacco. He is just an awful guy.

akira28

Well he probably worked himself into an early grave. Let the man have some comforts. He's sick and poor in industrialized London, right? Probably not a long life expectancy.

Dalek

I....I hate everyone involved.

Wouldn't that be Psycho?

Wonka lures these children into his macabre lair and then proceeds to off them in a disturbing and gruesome manner. At the end of the film he says the children have all been restored to their original form-but you don't see that. They've probally been fed to the Oompa Loompas. And let's not get started on that boat ride to hell.

Wonka lures these children into his macabre lair and then proceeds to off them in a disturbing and gruesome manner. At the end of the film he says the children have all been restored to their original form-but you don't see that. They've probally been fed to the Oompa Loompas. And let's not get started on that boat ride to hell.

Psycho still predates it by 11 years.

Damaniel

Banned
Just watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory today.

Grandpa Joe is GOAT. Well, almost. Gene Wilder is truly GOAT (and I can't see him as anything *but* Willy Wonka). Fuck the haters.

Fathead

The guy straight up steals the lifting drinks, and convinces his innocent grandson to do it too. So not only is he a deadbeat forcing hIs daughter to slave all day as a clothes washer to keep the family afloat, he straight up contributes to the deliquency of a minor.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm confused by any dark interpretation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that doesn't lead to Willy Wonka as the villian. The dude was an eccentric millionaire reclusive obsessed with children, funneled millions into lavish candy theme rooms while half of England starved to death, operated entirely out of the government's eye and regulation, and even had his own army of foreign slaves.

vikki

I'm confused by any dark interpretation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that doesn't lead to Willy Wonka as the villian. The dude was an eccentric millionaire reclusive obsessed with children, funneled millions into lavish candy theme rooms while half of England starved to death, operated entirely out of the government's eye and regulation, and even had his own army of foreign slaves.

He saved the Oompa's from certain death. Willy Wonka was a victim of mental illness. He was driven mad by the other money hungry candy companies. Sure the children died, but it's not like Wonka spring some elaborate saw-like traps on them, maybe. It's possible he designed his factory to appeal to the innermost desires of the winners. I doubt it though.

Betty

Banned
Slugworth wasn't a villain, he was working for Wonka.

The lousy parents that spoil their kids are the real villains.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
If Charlie's family was so poor how come they could afford to maintain the 4+ old family members in the house, food + medicine can't be cheap

Wow, way to keep up IO9, Asshole Grandpa Joe was a meme is ancient in terms of internet memes.

He was a great Grandpa Joe. Granpa Joe just needs to be in that bed with his feet poking his brother-in-laws head. The funny part of poverty.

I f you want to correctly insult Willy Wonka movie talk about "Cheer Up Charlie" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uQj3McHLA

Saccharine gross crap.

I always skipped that song whenever I could, worst thing in the movie.

EulaCapra

OMFG....... that Facebook page was created in 2010! That's some deep resentment right there.

Or maybe they went through a similar experience of being a child of poverty totally and completely in charge of four old decrepit bed-ridden losers.

Wiktor

If Charlie's family was so poor how come they could afford to maintain the 4+ old family members in the house, food + medicine can't be cheap

By eating little and not going to a doctor..duh. Poor families tend to be the ones with more members than rich ones

thefit

Why do they all sleep in the same bed? That's one of those weird things in a movie from my youth that bothers me to adulthood.

AlexBasch

Wonka should've gone with his instincts, Charlie sold out to Nestle and drove the brand into the ground.
I mean really -

lLligIP.jpg

The fuck is this shit?
Sometimes I wonder why I put up with this forum.

This is one of these times, you better start explaining yourself.

That's some riveting fucking stuff right there god damn I wish I got paid to write about bullshit like this
Clickbaiters hate him!

zma1013

Admit it, that little bratty girl was the real villain. Not a single tear was shed when she got her golden egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom